Urk interview at IGN (Destiny)

by andeeeh, Australia, Thursday, October 31, 2013, 16:18 (3832 days ago)

While it's always great to hear from Bungie, this interview with Urk puts the nail in the coffin for flying our own spaceships. Better news for PC though!

Urk interview at IGN

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Thursday, October 31, 2013, 16:35 (3832 days ago) @ andeeeh

While it's always great to hear from Bungie, this interview with Urk puts the nail in the coffin for flying our own spaceships. Better news for PC though!

http://teamschoolyd.spreadshirt.com/schooly-was-right-A9323239/customize/color/196

Urk interview at IGN

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 31, 2013, 19:02 (3832 days ago) @ andeeeh

Makes NO sense. Why delay a PC version?

It can't be about piracy, because Destiny has to always be connected. It's literally impossible to pirate. What other reason is there?

Urk interview at IGN

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 31, 2013, 19:05 (3832 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It can't be about piracy, because Destiny has to always be connected. It's literally impossible to pirate. What other reason is there?

Hmm, maybe they aren't even trying to launch on PC yet? No QA, if you argue it's the same code as a PS4/XBO version? Also, it's not literally impossible to pirate always-connected games. Very, very hard, but not impossible.

Urk interview at IGN

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 31, 2013, 20:28 (3832 days ago) @ ZackDark

Hmm, maybe they aren't even trying to launch on PC yet? No QA, if you argue it's the same code as a PS4/XBO version? Also, it's not literally impossible to pirate always-connected games. Very, very hard, but not impossible.

Just very very hard? Can you point me to a pirate WoW server that has every piece of content that the legit version has?

Urk interview at IGN

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 01, 2013, 06:46 (3831 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No, but I didn't look for it either. However, I could point you to such servers of Tibia, Ragnarok and quite a few others that are widespread in Brazil. IIRC, there was even one of Star Wars Galaxy.

Urk interview at IGN

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, October 31, 2013, 21:37 (3832 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A reason was given. Launching a new game on four different platforms is hard. Adding in a fifth with vastly different control schemes, a much wider variation in hardware, and ensuring compatibility with various additional operating systems may well have been beyond the scope of what even Bungie's large team can handle. So no, it doesn't make "NO" sense. Obviously, it is not what you wanted to happen, but it does make some sense.

Urk interview at IGN

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 31, 2013, 23:44 (3832 days ago) @ Ragashingo

A reason was given. Launching a new game on four different platforms is hard. Adding in a fifth with vastly different control schemes, a much wider variation in hardware, and ensuring compatibility with various additional operating systems may well have been beyond the scope of what even Bungie's large team can handle.

So why do it at all then? Delay it, and most people who want it will already have it, and their friends won't be playing on PC. The longer you delay the worse sales will be.

Urk interview at IGN

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 31, 2013, 23:56 (3832 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So why do it at all then? Delay it, and most people who want it will already have it, and their friends won't be playing on PC. The longer you delay the worse sales will be.

Ask Rockstar

Have you tried to develop and test a PC release?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, November 01, 2013, 02:17 (3832 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

More - beta info - Urk interview at IGN

by broony, Friday, November 01, 2013, 06:40 (3831 days ago) @ andeeeh
edited by broony, Friday, November 01, 2013, 07:20

There is a bigger piece now available with some stuff on the beta from Urk:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/01/destiny-how-halo-got-the-star-wars-treatment

“We need people to play story, multiplayer and co-op. We need them to go and create characters so we can understand those systems and what they mean for us. We need lots of people to hit the servers at the same time, see how they use guns and play the early stuff, what the competitive multiplayer looks like with many different levels. Working on Destiny every day doesn’t compare with a million gamers crashing against it.

“We’re going to do a beta, kick the tyres, get people in to play in 2014 and make sure we understand what those pushes are going to look like by trying to drive as much peak concurrency as possible before day one so we can understand what to do. We’re not going to rely on guesswork. We’re going to push as many people against it as possible. We’ll forge it in fire and hopefully that’ll make it a better experience day one for everybody.”

unplayable

by Decom @, Friday, November 01, 2013, 11:22 (3831 days ago) @ andeeeh

space travel ... not being playable

Gosh dang it.

The space section of Reach was the best part of the game. Sure, it was lacking in things such as enemy & weapon types but that could easily have been expanded for Destiny. I thought for sure the only reason they stuck it in Reach was as practice for their next game.

unplayable

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, November 01, 2013, 19:25 (3831 days ago) @ Decom
edited by uberfoop, Friday, November 01, 2013, 19:38

I thought for sure the only reason they stuck it in Reach was as practice for their next game.

They very well may have been testing the waters with it. That doesn't mean that it was necessarily going to make it in. Part of why you test something is to figure out what it means going forward. Even if it was extremely good, Bungie may have decided that it just wasn't fitting nicely into their roadmap for Destiny.

And yeah, I'm fully aware of how obnoxiously 'corporate PR jargon'ish I made that sound. :)

unplayable

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, November 04, 2013, 12:16 (3828 days ago) @ uberfoop

I thought for sure the only reason they stuck it in Reach was as practice for their next game.

They very well may have been testing the waters with it. That doesn't mean that it was necessarily going to make it in. Part of why you test something is to figure out what it means going forward. Even if it was extremely good, Bungie may have decided that it just wasn't fitting nicely into their roadmap for Destiny.

And yeah, I'm fully aware of how obnoxiously 'corporate PR jargon'ish I made that sound. :)

Well, PR jargon or not, it's still true.

I dunno whether I would have wanted this to happen. On one hand, it might have been interesting to add another experience to the Destiny mix. On the other hand, I played a game once where most of the gameplay was on-foot, you transitioned between planets via (primarily) load screens, and occasionally space combat would break out during the transitions. It was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, one of my favorite games and generally regarded as a classic now. But that lame turret-shooting between planets got old real fast, and looking back (through somewhat rose-tinted glasses, maybe) it was the only part of the game that I remember disliking. I was thankful that it happened as rarely as it did. Probably, Bungie's implementation would have been less tedious, but still - the only reference I have for such a thing was pretty meh.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread