Halo Infinite Reveal Bingo (Gaming)

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 21:34 (1344 days ago)

From your friends at TSD Industries

https://i.imgur.com/SPPmDRS.png

[image]

I have a good feeling about that T column, let's get it

by tarehart, Seattle, Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 21:52 (1344 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

Halo Infinite Reveal Bingo

by Avateur @, Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 23:10 (1344 days ago) @ Schooly D

Where is the Avateur shows up and says no one should trust them, buy into an ounce of their most likely misleading advertising, or pay a single cent for this game? Bingo!

That's my other bingo card

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 05:36 (1344 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 05:51 (1344 days ago) @ Avateur

That’s just the center square.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 23:21 (1344 days ago) @ Schooly D

I won Cody’s bingo, so let’s see how I fare here. We’re counting trailer and stream content, right?

I remembered to give you your prize right?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 09:59 (1344 days ago) @ Morpheus

This was so long ago lol.

I Don't Remember If You Remember. XD

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, July 24, 2020, 23:02 (1342 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I expected nothing and 343 still let me down

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 09:21 (1344 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

Counter-point: it looks great!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 09:24 (1344 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

- No text -

Atriox

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 10:21 (1344 days ago) @ Schooly D

Why can't 343 make a game with a story that doesn't require you to read EU shit or play crappy spin off games? Did they not learn from Halo 5?

Also it seems like all the 343 Halo stuff is so… serious.

Atriox

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 10:31 (1344 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why can't 343 make a game with a story that doesn't require you to read EU shit or play crappy spin off games? Did they not learn from Halo 5?

That video had a grunt goofily flying at you with dual grenades before getting shot out of the sky.

Atriox

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 10:48 (1344 days ago) @ kidtsunami

That video had a grunt goofily flying at you with dual grenades before getting shot out of the sky.

Also, the entire series about fighting against the extinction of the human race...

Atriox

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 11:15 (1344 days ago) @ Cody Miller

On the latter point I completely agree with Cody. This might be my most critical post of 343 ever. It's not just humor that Bungie excelled in delivering. 343's recruiting of Conan and Andy for Halo 4 is kind of emblematic of 343's "let's check off this box" approach to development. Bungie's Halo had something that most games today still don't have. Part of what made the game world feel like a real place was the personality of the NPCs, and how they reacted realistically (and often humorously) to what was happening in a sandbox where any of a number of things could happen. All the work that went into semi-random dialogue delivery paid enormous dividends.

Atriox

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 11:23 (1344 days ago) @ Kermit

On the latter point I completely agree with Cody. This might be my most critical post of 343 ever. It's not just humor that Bungie excelled in delivering. 343's recruiting of Conan and Andy for Halo 4 is kind of emblematic of 343's "let's check off this box" approach to development. Bungie's Halo had something that most games today still don't have. Part of what made the game world feel like a real place was the personality of the NPCs, and how they reacted realistically (and often humorously) to what was happening in a sandbox where any of a number of things could happen. All the work that went into semi-random dialogue delivery paid enormous dividends.

IMMA COWARDLY FOOL!!!!!!!

This was also wisdom lost in the transition.

yeah, I feel that

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 11:37 (1344 days ago) @ Kermit

There was something inherently playful about Halo NPCs that hasn't really been captured since 3 (Reach was pretty grim).

yeah, I feel that

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 12:38 (1344 days ago) @ kidtsunami

There was something inherently playful about Halo NPCs that hasn't really been captured since 3 (Reach was pretty grim).

And ODST was a tad TOO playful :-p

But ODST has grown on me over the years.

Ah I gotta give it another go

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 14:30 (1344 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And ODST was a tad TOO playful :-p

But ODST has grown on me over the years.

It’s such a perfect size for replaying

Infinite-ly Unimpressed

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 11:33 (1344 days ago) @ Schooly D

Just watched the Halo Infinite - Official Campaign Gameplay Premiere. The TL;DR is on the tin.

Knowledge is a funny thing. I see "Playable Demo" and I think... how much time was spent in containerizing this content? How many months ago was this branch of a build cut off and placed for the viewing masses in a flower pot. Look folks! It's a tree! BUY OUR GAME! Please.

Since I know I can ask this here; Ya'll remember when Halo first came out? Halo put shooters ON Console ON the map. Where everything was corridors, Halo came out and... gave us some stretching room. It was a big deal. And... well, what I'm about to say may have been some marketing hype add-on, but it proved true... for once. Combat Evolved.

We are no longer in those days. Very VERY-much no longer in those days.

We are now in a time where DETAIL as prescribed in the Unreal 5 DEMO, may in some way be possible. With stellar REALTIME lighting and resolution of detail. No, I'm not saying this launch game, Halo Infinite, should look like said Tech Demo. Of course not. Even IF we can get that kind of detail in an actual running playable purchasable game with AI and all sorts of OTHER overheads... it's going to be 3 or 4 years from now maybe.

I know that.

First Person Shooters, on the other hand, are one of the more popular genres in video games. As I recall, one of the most profitable as well. We, WE... folks who have played video games for awhile now, have seen our fair share of da pew pews. Kaboom! Ka-blowey!

That said... WHAT IS THIS!? Who is this for? Who is the Audience they seek? Is it to Grizzled ancient Halo fans, such as many of us who dance about in these *BO halls (thanks to a Bungie of a another age). Is it to Newbs? Those who have never played Halo? Those... heh, as it has been 18 years, who weren't able to play Halo on the Xbox during its golden heyday. Is it somewhere at the middle?

Well, I'm not sure I can answer that question, and such may be why my response is as it is.

Why did they start with someone, at least for me, who... I have no idea who they are. I don't care, I care about Chief. This guy here is blasted front an' center, introduced to me (though not the first time in a trailer) bitching about... I don't know what. We're only seconds in and already this dude is getting on my nerves because all I hear is some wining blah blah blah probably exposition. Too bad my brain is turned off, and set to mute. Show me the Chief. That's how the Start feels for me. It was not a good start. And this trailer is all about those Oh-So-Important FIRST IMPRESSIONS.

HMMMMMM.

We get past that and... OH LOOK, BIG ROMPING WORLDS! BUT HALO! OMG-NO-WAIIII! And hey, don't get me wrong, SKYRIM-ish Halo edition over here is interesting. Arguably the environment is a very important character. Shoot- IT IS the character in a way, IT'S THE TITLE! It's HALO!

COOL! So... WHAT DO YOU DO WITH IT?! What have you done with this concept!? (I mean... after THAT'S THE SELL, right?)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I could make the arms go higher, I would.

Oh look, a Warthog, flying along in the air in its natural habitat. Isn't nature beautiful? Sure is cool, but, uh... isn't game selling. OH OH! BUT WAIT! LOOK! Grappling HOOK!

... YEAH?

Is that it? 3 or More years, and your hook for Infinite, this big world... is a literal hook? Are ya-all high? Obviously not, cause at-least you might have had a chance to be actually creative for... SOMETHING. Again... it's neat. Cool, er... something. But... how is this, in my biggest movie voice... REVOLUTIONARY! IN A WORLD OF SO MANY VIDEOGAMES, I HAVE NOW DECIDED I WILL PLAY HALO INFINITE!

Overly Dramatic Man Pretending to have a Women Voice... poorly: Oh, Dreamboat, but WHY? WHY! WHY!!!!!

Sweaty Movie Man: *DAH DAH DAH* Grappling HOOK!

Overly Dramatic Man Pretending to have a Women Voice... poorly: *Swoon*

...no. Just... na. In fact, it seems to me like the hook may have been necessary to just traverse the world. And... of gameplay, that's all I recall on the first viewing.

It, it ain't good.

Oh! Why do 343 renditions of First Person Halo look so... SPARSE? Like, I get that in Halo 5 they had to push back aspects of detail to keep the goal of 60 fps on Xbox...uh Fuck-Our-Naming-Conventions, but... this is NEW TECH. FROM THE FOLKS WHO OWN THE STUDIO! THIS is THE first party game. THIS IS HALO! I'm not cramping on the stylized choice, it's fine. No probs at all. Halo was never about brutal realism anyway. I'm talking about the amount of open space of nothing. Or basically nothing. LONG sight lines of just... flat. Matte without any noise at all to break it up. Apparently a battle or war or whatever was fought and we lost? Huh? Really? The broken ring is an interesting touch, but, this game is more than a skybox too.

They also showed some guns but... bro, I play Destiny. Y'all ain't got shit.

Thus I return; Who is this for? If they - Microsoft, 343, Halo Fans ... WHATEVER - are going to keep Halo alive, WHAT ARE YOU BRINGING TO THE TABLE? WHY ARE WE KEEPING IT ALIVE? I know "why", what I mean is... for something that is being APPARENTLY built by fans of Halo, 343, why is Halo still going? Because so far I don't see anything I haven't seen before and done better. And for me, An OLD School Halo fan, seeing Halo being used this way... WITH WHAT I'VE SEEN... man.

Infinite-ly Unimpressed. I felt no focus on anything. It was just noise with a Halo Container.

PS: The Plasma VFX is nice. Don't even get me start on the "4th Wall" 007 bad guy bull I see right here gosh darn it. Holy moly. Worse still; I feel like I'm an old man yelling at a cloud. I don't THINK that's what I'm doing, but... I don't know. It just all feels so uninspired, and its just kind of depressing.

I Mean, Technically...

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, July 24, 2020, 23:13 (1342 days ago) @ Schooly D

[image]

MARTY!

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Saturday, July 25, 2020, 12:38 (1342 days ago) @ Morpheus

You missed R2: the MC did activate his overworld map

Y2 is a miss: I didn't see any evidence of crafting in the gameplay

A2 should be a hit: what we saw counts as a new Warthog variant, I think

I think Y3 deserves a hit, for the Big Brute's dialogue

R4 is probably a miss. The reveal opened with Cortana's narration but didn't end with it

MARTY!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, July 25, 2020, 19:16 (1341 days ago) @ Schooly D

You missed R2: the MC did activate his overworld map

Yep, totally forgot about that one!

Y2 is a miss: I didn't see any evidence of crafting in the gameplay

I'm willing to bet it'll be in that dreaded 'Upgrades' menu

A2 should be a hit: what we saw counts as a new Warthog variant, I think

Yeah, I put that as a question mark; I didn't see anything glaringly different, but it's coming.

I think Y3 deserves a hit, for the Big Brute's dialogue

Good call. What the hell is he even for, anyway?

R4 is probably a miss. The reveal opened with Cortana's narration but didn't end with it

I'll give you that one. Although, Cortana's dialogue was within the trailer first played opening the showcase. That's more of a splitting hairs thing.

All in all, I think you were this year's Bingo winner!

Why the graphics look bad

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, July 25, 2020, 11:50 (1342 days ago) @ Schooly D
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, July 25, 2020, 11:59

TL;DR old dynamic lighting tech so things in shadows look very flat.

Would you rather have old generation lighting at 4K, or next gen techniques at 1440p? I know my answer to that question.

This game is targeting a resolution that is too high for its own good.

#codywasright #4KButNotToday

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, July 25, 2020, 12:18 (1342 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I just don’t buy it. Halo 5 runs 4K 60 on the One X and looks much better than this demo, technically. It has far more enemies on screen than what we saw in this demo, with much better looking particle effects. That demo just looks unfinished. Which, fair enough, it is an unfinished game. But it’s not a great showing, especially when one of the art leads is out there giving interviews about how much work and care they put into making this demo look amazing.

I do think the final product will look better than what we saw, though.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, July 25, 2020, 13:37 (1342 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, July 25, 2020, 13:43

I just don’t buy it. Halo 5 runs 4K 60 on the One X and looks much better than this demo, technically.

That's because Halo 5 had baked in lighting, and not real time lighting like Halo Infinite. If you watch the video, they look at Last of Us 2 to show how baked in lighting eliminates the 'looks flat in shadows' problem (but creates other issues). Real time lighting is much more expensive, and shortcuts to get it to run well at 4K60 result in the look you see in the demo. Had they done ray tracing at 1080p60 the visuals could have been improved a lot.

Part of it could have to do with the cross gen nature of the game: there's no hardware ray trace on the Xbox One.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread