Vehicles. (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, November 04, 2013, 15:21 (3835 days ago)

So now that our expectations have been adjusted in a few ways within the last week, I'm wondering which are the biggest questions everyone has left.

For me, it's about the competitive multiplayer arenas and vehicular combat; particularly how the latter will or won't inform the former. There's been precious little about pilotable vehicles thus far, and I hadn't thought it too much to hope for something within the vein of Halo's vehiclular combat, yet we've got box art and an impending beta, and nary a vehicle but the Pike and Sparrow to chew on. I just find that very curious. Seems like we had a lot more information on such things by this point in the lead-up to previous games.

I've found myself wondering how the various Guardian powers will work vehicles in PvP combat, or if such a thing will happen at all. I mean, if one's ship can do a sort of quick-drop insertion like we saw out of E3, what canonically makes the most sense? How big of a deal are mobile weapons platforms in Destiny's future?

~m

Vehicles.

by andeeeh, Australia, Monday, November 04, 2013, 15:42 (3835 days ago) @ Malagate

For me, it's about the competitive multiplayer arenas and vehicular combat; particularly how the latter will or won't inform the former.

As for vehicles, this answer that Dave Dunn gave IGN keeps my hopes alive:

All of us at Bungie love player driven vehicles, as you can see from the two we had revealed so far, the Sparrow and the Fallen Pike. Will they make their way into competitive multiplayer... you’ll just have to wait and find out.

Vehicles.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, November 04, 2013, 19:11 (3835 days ago) @ andeeeh

For me, it's about the competitive multiplayer arenas and vehicular combat; particularly how the latter will or won't inform the former.

As for vehicles, this answer that Dave Dunn gave IGN keeps my hopes alive:

All of us at Bungie love player driven vehicles, as you can see from the two we had revealed so far, the Sparrow and the Fallen Pike. Will they make their way into competitive multiplayer... you’ll just have to wait and find out.

Notice, however, that there is no indication of there being any other pilotable vehicles. A three-seater vehicle is a no-brainer, but my gut tells me that PvP matches with multiple three-seater vehicles aren't particularly likely.

~m

Vehicles.

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Monday, November 04, 2013, 16:15 (3835 days ago) @ Malagate
edited by Schooly D, Monday, November 04, 2013, 16:32

I think the large-scale, vehicle-heavy combat you enjoyed from Halo will not be in Destiny.

I look at it like this: Destiny is a very personal, individual game. Yes, Bungie hypes up the whole "fireteam, law of the jungle" aspect, but at the end of the day it's a personal game. You have your Pike, you have your (unpilotable) spaceship, you have your gear/loot... in general, the focus of the game is in investing in your character. Standard MMO stuff.

We know that competitive multiplayer is not the primary focus of the game. Rather, it will serve as an extension of the main, cooperative, PvE portion of the game. It's where you will take in your character (with personal effects) to fight other people and their characters. While this premise doesn't necessarily preclude large-scale multiplayer games, it doesn't bode well for the kind of large-scale games you got in Halo: tanks, planes, multi-person vehicles, general craziness, etc. Implementing large things like that requires effort in both development and testing, and the result wouldn't be something that is easily compatible with the main portion of the game: you're not going to have a personal Scorpion-or-Wraith-tank-ish vehicle, or a personal Banshee. The effort in developing/testing such vehicles would be useless for the primary, PvE part of the game.

I'm betting that multiplayer will be small-scale, arena-esque stuff. Halo-ish, but only up to sizes and scopes allowing for Mongoose-ish stuff. I wouldn't expect BTB on Containment.

I know what you're thinking, reader. "Schooly you're making assumptions! And because they're assumptions that give me the sads I must dispute them! Your very existence grates upon my soul like a thousand blades!" You're free to believe what you like, but where's your (EDIT: stylish, competitively-priced, 100% natural) shirt?

Agree with this assessment here.

by yakaman, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 06:26 (3834 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

Vehicles.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 03:02 (3834 days ago) @ Schooly D

Very reasonable assumptions. I hope you're wrong though.

I hope that the focus on a 3 person fire team ends up resulting in some awesome 3 person vehicles.

Vehicles.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, November 04, 2013, 21:11 (3835 days ago) @ Malagate

So now that our expectations have been adjusted in a few ways within the last week, I'm wondering which are the biggest questions everyone has left.

For me, it's about the competitive multiplayer arenas and vehicular combat; particularly how the latter will or won't inform the former. There's been precious little about pilotable vehicles thus far, and I hadn't thought it too much to hope for something within the vein of Halo's vehiclular combat, yet we've got box art and an impending beta, and nary a vehicle but the Pike and Sparrow to chew on. I just find that very curious. Seems like we had a lot more information on such things by this point in the lead-up to previous games.

I've found myself wondering how the various Guardian powers will work vehicles in PvP combat, or if such a thing will happen at all. I mean, if one's ship can do a sort of quick-drop insertion like we saw out of E3, what canonically makes the most sense? How big of a deal are mobile weapons platforms in Destiny's future?

~m

I'm still holding out for a great assortment of vehicles, even if I have to wait for Destiny 2 or 3.

I've just never played a game with better vehicles than Bungie's Halos. They were a huge aspect as to why I loved Halo, and why Halo 3, with vehicles having their most epic chance to shine, is my go-to entry in the series.

Hoping the Spider Tank is pilotable, for starters...

Vehicles.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, November 04, 2013, 21:14 (3835 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'm still holding out for a great assortment of vehicles, even if I have to wait for Destiny 2 or 3.

I've just never played a game with better vehicles than Bungie's Halos. They were a huge aspect as to why I loved Halo, and why Halo 3, with vehicles having their most epic chance to shine, is my go-to entry in the series.

Hoping the Spider Tank is pilotable, for starters...

I'm hoping for a Warthog analogue personally. What would be cooler than bouncing over those hilltops in a jeep? So much land to race over mostly uninhibited by barriers.

Vehicles.

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 07:20 (3834 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah, why make all that expansive terrain if we don't get to ride a Jeep-like vehicle through it?

I needs me a moon rover!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 07:50 (3834 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

I needs me a moon rover!

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 14:25 (3834 days ago) @ Leviathan

[image]

I needs me a moon rover!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 17:57 (3834 days ago) @ Malagate

Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could find THE moon rover and Tranquility Base?

I needs me a moon rover!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 07:05 (3833 days ago) @ Kermit

You mean on Earth, in that locked, underground studio?

I needs me a moon rover!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 17:47 (3833 days ago) @ Leviathan

Well, duh, yeah. Where else would it be? The Moon?

I needs me a moon rover!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, November 07, 2013, 06:14 (3832 days ago) @ ZackDark

Well, duh, yeah. Where else would it be? The Moon?

Buzz Aldrin is going to punch you guys. :)

LOL +1

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, November 07, 2013, 10:37 (3832 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

Vehicles.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 08:03 (3834 days ago) @ Leviathan

When talking to some Bungie peeps at PAX they said vehicles weren't as much in focus as they were in Halo, kinda like Schooly is saying, but there will be a decent selection methinks.

At least we get a speeder bike that handles like a Chopper, that's something. I'd love to have some more strange vehicles, like a spider tank that can climb most surfaces, or a springy hopping mongoose-y thing. I like strange locomotion in my vehicles.

Vehicles.

by GrizzNKev, Down the street from Microsoft, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 00:17 (3835 days ago) @ Malagate

I don't see the game not heavily featuring vehicles.

Vehicles.

by Durandal, Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 17:40 (3834 days ago) @ GrizzNKev

I think vehicles were a very fun and core component of the Halo series, and certainly Destiny has shown that players will have access to Ghost/jetbike equivalents from the get go. With the large environments promised in Destiny vehicular movement is a must, and that will drive some type of vehicular combat system.

Halo's vehicular combat evolved heavily from the early days of invulnerable craft that instantly killed anyone they so much as gave a tiny love tap (although I have fond memories of throwing down the plasma grenade, ducking as it blows the oncoming warthog over my head, then gunning down the riders as they are thrown from the overturned jeep) to a system with boarding, vehicular damage, and specialized anti-vehicle weapons and techniques.

Destiny doesn't have the same options as the Halo series, since you will have three standard weapons at all times, but it could easily keep the grenade and boarding aspects. We've already seen rocket launchers in Destiny, and a Spartan Laser and EMP Grenade Launcher are feasible from a lore and technical standpoint. PVP vehicular combat could be a function of control of the heavy weapon ammunition in order to suppress enemy vehicles. But all this is just replicating Halo gameplay. Destiny needs to build on that solid foundation and take it in new directions.

Each player, in addition to their heavy weapons, have powers. These powers offer a number of ways to interact with vehicles in addition to the Halo style mechanics. Also, Destiny is an even more group oriented game. Beaming down each player in a Scorpion is overkill, (but still awesome, Tank beats Everything!) and should be rare, but uncovering ancient technology and using it to rip up our enemies on the way home is a common occurrence.

We therefore should see lots of segments where teams of players are on a coop vehicle of some kind, ranging from Warthogs at low levels to Scarabs for big battles. You wouldn't necessarily have these vehicles on call, but can come across them often enough, and a good team manning the various aspects of the vehicle would make for a fun and interesting segment.

We have already seen from the brief gameplay that the Devilwalker has location based damage and stages similar to the Scarabs of Halo 3. How hard would it be to face down one of the Fallen's big dropships? Or some sort of land battleship? By Bungie's own admission, our enemies are more varied and bigger then anything Bungie has thrown at us before. I expect bigger things then Scarabs, and the tools to take them on.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread