What Control? "New" Ultimate Edition & Next-Gen. (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 22:45 (1344 days ago)
edited by INSANEdrive, Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 23:00

Story time! A few days ago, the 2nd DLC for the Remedy Entertainment game Control was announced.

Pretty cool right! I've not played any other Remedy games, but this definitely peeked my interest. I've not touched "Control" since I finished it, as I wanted to wait for both the DLCs to drop before I went back in (looks like "the darkness" is in this game too). Part of me was also hoping for the possibility of another Quality-of-Life free update to add more functionality or readability to the game (like Destiny desperately needs). This WAS going to be what the thread was about. I was going to ask if anyone had played other Remedy games? If they were action or horror, or suspenseful... or even if you think such older games would still hold up?

Was. Could still be... but, a day or so ago the "Ultimate Edition" was announced.

In a blog post (and here is the reddit version) it is mentioned that if you already own the game, you will not get the "next gen" variant, unless you have this one "Ultimate Edition" being sold soon. Quote;

Will Control Ultimate Edition give me access to Control on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5?
We will offer a free next-gen digital upgrade for those who buy Control Ultimate Edition on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. For more information on eligibility, stay tuned to our website and community channels.

What if I purchased the original version of Control previously?
The free upgrade path to Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 version of Control is only available for Control Ultimate Edition.

At least for the Xbox side of things, I'm not sure why there is this sudden exception (sans the obvious)for bringing things over to the "Next Gen" tech. Nothing about this action is socially sound (as if that matters), and such can be seen in the comments around the net. Folks are pissed. Even if you have the season pass, which I wasn't aware there was one... I may be misinterpreting this, it's a no go. It's this "Ultimate Edition" or nothing. NO NEXT GEN FOR YOU!

Per a comment from the "Control" Subreddit, it looks like this is possibly the publishers (505 Games) doing.

Quoting from the end of a Kotaku Article;

When asked for comment, developer Remedy Entertainment directed Kotaku to 505 Games, which did not immediately respond.

Ahh, publisher skullfuckery. Something something nice things something.

What Control? "New" Ultimate Edition & Next-Gen.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 23:14 (1344 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Yeah, I'm not happy about this. I bought it on sale because I heard it was good. But I haven't gotten to play it yet because of my massive queue. But I also heard it doesn't play really well on this generation of Xbox and it would be best to wait for the next Xbox.

But now I either play it now and have a lesser experience (I plan on buying the next xbox) or pay even more money to buy this stupid Ultimate edition. What if I honestly don't like the game? Do I play it on this generation just to test the waters?

It's just a total... mess.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 05:52 (1344 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yeah, I'm not happy about this. I bought it on sale because I heard it was good. But I haven't gotten to play it yet because of my massive queue. But I also heard it doesn't play really well on this generation of Xbox and it would be best to wait for the next Xbox.

But now I either play it now and have a lesser experience (I plan on buying the next xbox) or pay even more money to buy this stupid Ultimate edition. What if I honestly don't like the game? Do I play it on this generation just to test the waters?

So, you won’t get the next gen version, but the old version will still run on Series X. Maybe it’ll run okay there? It runs mostly fine on a One X.

This decision still sucks though. I get that developing a next gen version costs money, but there’s gotta be a better way than this.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 07:54 (1344 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So, you won’t get the next gen version, but the old version will still run on Series X. Maybe it’ll run okay there? It runs mostly fine on a One X.

This decision still sucks though. I get that developing a next gen version costs money, but there’s gotta be a better way than this.

How much money, though, is what I wonder. I've heard that the game is amazeballs on PC, which came out last August. It just doesn't seem like they'd have to do so much for the amazeballs next-gen version, and I'm not one to underestimate dev work.

I paid for The Last of Us remastered, but I know that took a ton of work, and it was a pretty big leap and was the only way to play it on the PS4 (the original may have been available through PS Now, but I don't consider that true backwards compatibility).

Considering the landscape now, this seems dickish. An upgrade path would be a reasonable compromise. I certainly wish I had not bought it.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 07:59 (1344 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So, you won’t get the next gen version, but the old version will still run on Series X. Maybe it’ll run okay there?

Will the old version still run on the series X? Unless I missed something that said all Xbox one games play on the series X, nothing in Control's article says the original version will play on it.

It runs mostly fine on a One X.

This line alone says a lot. "Mostly fine" on the current top end Xbox. I don't have a One X, I just have a first generation One so I'm probably in a world of hurt.

Honestly, if I hadn't bought the original game this package is a great deal. It's just that I have bought it and on one of their sales none the less! I feel like I got bait and switched by the company.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 08:01 (1344 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Bait and switch means you were promised one thing to rope you in, then you were delivered something else. You bought the game on current gen expecting the game on current gen… not giving you a free upgrade when they never said they would is not bait and switch.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 08:23 (1344 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Bait and switch means you were promised one thing to rope you in, then you were delivered something else. You bought the game on current gen expecting the game on current gen… not giving you a free upgrade when they never said they would is not bait and switch.

Sorry, wrong use of that. But I still feel like I was roped in with a deal only to be given something better shortly after. I'm not saying this is 100% on them, but it doesn't feel good as a consumer.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 10:44 (1344 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Sorry, wrong use of that. But I still feel like I was roped in with a deal only to be given something better shortly after. I'm not saying this is 100% on them, but it doesn't feel good as a consumer.

That’s called buyers remorse.

Now if you bought physical, you could at least sell it to get something back when you buy it on next gen. But if you bought digital? Tough.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 13:06 (1344 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That’s called buyers remorse.

Now if you bought physical, you could at least sell it to get something back when you buy it on next gen. But if you bought digital? Tough.

Why in the world would anyone buy a physical used copy after what was just announced? Also, it would cost me more to resell it.

I understand you love physical copies, but there is a time and place for that. This is not it. And honestly it feels like you are just rubbing salt in the wound which I don't take kindly.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 13:08 (1344 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Why in the world would anyone buy a physical used copy after what was just announced?

They aren't getting a next gen console and want to play Control on the cheap?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 13:29 (1344 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why in the world would anyone buy a physical used copy after what was just announced?

They aren't getting a next gen console and want to play Control on the cheap?

Even if I wanted to sell it to one of those few people, it's still not worth the effort for the maybe 10 bucks I would get for it?

Oh, and my two choices is to go to a mall or find a specific person to pay for shipping. Both aren't worth the price, like at all.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 14:37 (1344 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Oh, and my two choices is to go to a mall or find a specific person to pay for shipping. Both aren't worth the price, like at all.

You can just play it on Series X. It will be the XB1X version with additional enhancements.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 14:59 (1344 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

You can just play it on Series X. It will be the XB1X version with additional enhancements.

Is that confirmed somewhere? Like all XB1 games can be played on the Series X?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 16:12 (1343 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Is that confirmed somewhere? Like all XB1 games can be played on the Series X?

https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=171735

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 18:13 (1343 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 08:32 (1344 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

As far as I know yes, it will work. The new console is fully backwards compatible with the Xbox One. Or at least that’s what I thought.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 08:37 (1344 days ago) @ cheapLEY

As far as I know yes, it will work. The new console is fully backwards compatible with the Xbox One. Or at least that’s what I thought.

Yeah, I don't keep up on it enough to say for certain what is and isn't.

XbSx Backward Compatibility

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 14:45 (1344 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV
edited by INSANEdrive, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 15:40

Yeah, I don't keep up on it enough to say for certain what is and isn't.

There is a set number of titles from the Xbox & Xbox 360 Days that have backwards compatibility. This is set in stone now, as Microsoft is no longer working on the technical necessities required to bring anything else forward.

As I understand it, this whole generation of Xbox One games should be compatible, and if supported, even your Save Data can be ported to the new box with Microsofts "Smart Delivery" system. If supported.

In other words, if you have purchased Control and played it, as I have, things will work just as in every other generation. The Save Data is stuck on the platform you played upon, and if you can play on a newer platform, you start from scratch again.

Unless you get this new "Ultimate Edition". If you get this edition, and only this edition, you will get "Smart Delivery" of Control, which will not only bring over your save, but I presume will bring about graphical improvements as well. I say this as the PC version of Control supports Ray-Trace Lighting, which the new Xbox does as well.

I don't know what the deal is for Ps5 backwards compatibility wise. (Last min edit; here is a link to an Article from ArsTechnica that may help as well.)

Thanks for the update

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 15:01 (1344 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

No no no

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 18:35 (1343 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

There is a set number of titles from the Xbox & Xbox 360 Days that have backwards compatibility. This is set in stone now, as Microsoft is no longer working on the technical necessities required to bring anything else forward.

This is only true for XB1. Series X will see more OGXbox an Xbox 360 titles brought forward, with all the obligatory enhancements.

As I understand it, this whole generation of Xbox One games should be compatible, and if supported, even your Save Data can be ported to the new box with Microsofts "Smart Delivery" system. If supported.

Of course you can bring your saves forward, just as you could from 360 to XB1. It's all automatic this time since XB1 files are automatically copied to the cloud.

Smart Delivery is something else entirely. It simply means that if you have an XB1 copy of a game, you can play the native XSX version at no additional cost. Publishers have to opt in to this program, and not all of them are doing so.

In other words, if you have purchased Control and played it, as I have, things will work just as in every other generation. The Save Data is stuck on the platform you played upon, and if you can play on a newer platform, you start from scratch again.

Not only will your save data and DLC move forward, you'll get enhancements like higher resolutions, higher framerates, near instant load times, HDR, and Quick Resume.
These enhancements will be totally free on any Back Compat game. OGXbox, 360, or XB1.

Unless you get this new "Ultimate Edition". If you get this edition, and only this edition, you will get "Smart Delivery" of Control, which will not only bring over your save, but I presume will bring about graphical improvements as well. I say this as the PC version of Control supports Ray-Trace Lighting, which the new Xbox does as well.

This Ultimate Edition is likely being treated as a separate game, similar to Shadow of Mordor or The Witcher 3. It's a scummy move for sure.

I don't know what the deal is for Ps5 backwards compatibility wise. (Last min edit; here is a link to an Article from ArsTechnica that may help as well.)

PS5 will feature limited backward compatibility with around 100 PS4 titles. We don't know if they will feature any enhancements, though faster loading times are a safe bet.

No no no

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 19:00 (1343 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 19:03

PS5 will feature limited backward compatibility with around 100 PS4 titles. We don't know if they will feature any enhancements, though faster loading times are a safe bet.

This is not true.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going.

They are showing off 100 titles. PS5 has a hardware mode for PS4 games where the CPU and GPU run at the PS4 clock.

Lastly, we’re excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

Most games will work (perhaps eventually), but Sony is only showing off and focusing on the top 100 right now in terms of testing. In fact, any new PS4 game must run on the PS5 to pass cert. It is not a software emulation like Xbox and Xbox360 games.

No no no

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 20:00 (1343 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Hmm, much better than I'd heard then.

It would seem though that this approach won't allow for the same enhancements on the Series X?

No no no

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 21:45 (1343 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 22:34

Hmm, much better than I'd heard then.

It would seem though that this approach won't allow for the same enhancements on the Series X?

I think the enhancements are similar to running a PS4 game on the Pro in boost mode. I don’t know beyond that.

In an update days later, Sony Senior VP Hideaki Nishino clarified that Sony "believe[s] that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5." That said, Nishino also added that the company is "currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers."

Oh?!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, August 14, 2020, 13:03 (1343 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

This is only true for XB1. Series X will see more OGXbox an Xbox 360 titles brought forward, with all the obligatory enhancements.

This is literally the first time I have heard this. When was this announced? Or rather, where can I go to read about it?

Of course you can bring your saves forward, just as you could from 360 to XB1. It's all automatic this time since XB1 files are automatically copied to the cloud.

Smart Delivery is something else entirely. It simply means that if you have an XB1 copy of a game, you can play the native XSX version at no additional cost. Publishers have to opt in to this program, and not all of them are doing so.

Wait! Wha? I can bring over 360 saves over to XB1?! Wha!? OMG YOU CAN! How'd I miss this?! And geez... kinda sucks about that delay. :/ lol.

Well. Thanks Snipe.

Eh

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 08:13 (1344 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

• You got the same product that you paid for, it's not going away.
  • It's a shame there isn't a reasonably priced "upgrade" path.
  • I feel your pain but don't agree with it being a total mess.

Eh

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 08:28 (1344 days ago) @ kidtsunami

• You got the same product that you paid for, it's not going away.
  • It's a shame there isn't a reasonably priced "upgrade" path.
  • I feel your pain but don't agree with it being a total mess.

Yeah, I'm not saying this isn't partially my fault. I just feel like everything is magnified by this "ultimate edition" and the fact that it doesn't play very well on the generation it was developed for.

So maybe a mess for me, not for everyone. I just don't think it was well thought through is all. And I feel like I'm in one of the less thought of categories that just got shafted, again partially because of my own choices. But even so, it doesn't feel good as a consumer to see this.

Eh

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 08:36 (1344 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I still think you’re just looking at it wrong. You didn’t get shafted. You got the game you paid for. A game that will be nearly two years old when the new console hit. There’s nothing stopping you from just playing that game.

It does suck, I understand that.

Eh

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 08:58 (1344 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I still think you’re just looking at it wrong. You didn’t get shafted. You got the game you paid for. A game that will be nearly two years old when the new console hit. There’s nothing stopping you from just playing that game.

Yeah I get that... And if I had bought this when it came out I wouldn't feel like this. It's just the timing and hearing about the performance issues that bum me out. I know I'm exaggerating it a bit but I can't help it with everything that has lined up.

Again, this is ultimately (hehe) an amazing deal for people who plan on getting the game on the Series X. 40$ for a game and 2 DLC's? Awesome!

Haha yeah

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 09:42 (1344 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yeah I get that... And if I had bought this when it came out I wouldn't feel like this. It's just the timing and hearing about the performance issues that bum me out. I know I'm exaggerating it a bit but I can't help it with everything that has lined up.

Again, this is ultimately (hehe) an amazing deal for people who plan on getting the game on the Series X. 40$ for a game and 2 DLC's? Awesome!

And maybe that's why my reaction is a little cold to your plight...

I'm in that camp, I've been meaning to play it, and now I'm just like "JACKPOT" with playing it on the Series X.

As the remaster trend has picked up I've been finding myself buying few things on a lark and waiting until I'm actually going to play them to pick them up, since by the time I get to playing them, there'll be an updated version of it, like The Last Of Us.

Haha yeah

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 10:49 (1344 days ago) @ kidtsunami

And maybe that's why my reaction is a little cold to your plight...

I'm in that camp, I've been meaning to play it, and now I'm just like "JACKPOT" with playing it on the Series X.

As the remaster trend has picked up I've been finding myself buying few things on a lark and waiting until I'm actually going to play them to pick them up, since by the time I get to playing them, there'll be an updated version of it, like The Last Of Us.

I'm in MacAddict's boat. I bought it recently for $30 on sale, knowing I'd likely not play it soon. An upgrade path is enough for me. Truth be told, it's a failure of research on my part. I thought it was a one-and-done kind of game you don't see much of any more. If I'd realized there were DLCs, I would've held out, and my patience would have been rewarded.

Why do you buy games you know you won't play for a while?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 12:03 (1344 days ago) @ Kermit

It's highly likely that you can get the game _way_ cheaper if you just wait rather than buy it on sale. Control for xbox is now $30 new and you bought it for $40 on "sale".

If I didn't, I wouldn't be buying any games.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 16:15 (1343 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 07:57 (1344 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

OMG dude nobody wants your blog / twitter type thoughts about the game industry in this forum :-p

Your father smelt of elderberries.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 14:46 (1344 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Series X will play XB1X version.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 14:32 (1344 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I know it's not as good as a native port, but the XB1 version will play on Series X with all the enhancements that entails (higher resolution, higher framerate, instant loading, quick resume, etc.).

Good to know!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 13, 2020, 15:06 (1344 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread