Format Xbox one hard drive? *help* (Destiny)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 08:04 (1303 days ago)

My original Xbox one is straight out of memory. It says I have 15 gig of 365 gig available.

It's a 500 gig hard drive...

The only games of substance I have on it are CoD Warzone, Master Chief Collection and Destiny.

Is it possible to format the harddrive to free up space? Or anything else? What can I do to get some memory back? A google search only turns up info about external hard drives.

Format Xbox one hard drive? *help*

by squidnh3, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 08:21 (1303 days ago) @ ManKitten

The 365 GB you have is the size available for games/apps - the rest is reserved for system stuff. See here.

To look at a list of things installed on your Xbox, go to Settings -> System -> Storage and select your internal hard drive. You can try uninstalling things that you aren't using, but the 3 games you do have installed are massively sized games, so it's unlikely you will gain any significant space (maybe another 10 GB?).

Personally, I purchased an SSD with an external enclosure a few years ago for approximately $100, and I have not regretted it for one moment.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 08:35 (1303 days ago) @ squidnh3

One thing you could do is remove individual Halo games from MCC. Of course, that only works if you're willing to give any of those up. But it might be an option.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 08:58 (1303 days ago) @ stabbim

One thing you could do is remove individual Halo games from MCC. Of course, that only works if you're willing to give any of those up. But it might be an option.

eh, not really an option. Been working through all the campaigns with my son.

I was going to buy an external hard drive about a year ago but realized, for the money, I could just get another xbox, so that's what i did. Looks like I'm SOL.

Thanks all.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 09:14 (1303 days ago) @ ManKitten

I was going to buy an external hard drive about a year ago but realized, for the money, I could just get another xbox, so that's what i did. Looks like I'm SOL.

Thanks all.

A 500GB external would solve your problem for probably as long as you had your Xbox. You can find SSDs on sale for $50 or $60 these days. I'm gonna go with Squid's answer.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 10:01 (1303 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Thanks all.

A 500GB external would solve your problem for probably as long as you had your Xbox. You can find SSDs on sale for $50 or $60 these days. I'm gonna go with Squid's answer.

Good grief they've gotten cheap then! When I was shopping them a year ago, they were considerably more. I'll look into one.

by squidnh3, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 10:22 (1303 days ago) @ ManKitten

Good grief they've gotten cheap then! When I was shopping them a year ago, they were considerably more. I'll look into one.

Here's the one I have: SSD for $70 and enclosure for $14.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 10:30 (1303 days ago) @ squidnh3

I have essentially the same setup. Same hard drive but a different enclosure and it was a game-changer for load times.

Thirded

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 17:56 (1303 days ago) @ squidnh3

That is exactly the same setup I have on two of my Xboxes. In addition to having some much needed extra storage space, my regular Xbone with the external SSD loaded me into areas faster than people using the stock drive on the One X.

-Disciple

Fourthed?

by Simpsons Rule @, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 19:44 (1303 days ago) @ squidnh3

I've been using this enclosure for a little over 3 years now with a Crucial 500GB SSD and it's been great. There's a drastic improvement in load times too. That Samsung SSD for $70 is fantastic. It's nice to see prices coming down so much.

-SR

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 10:54 (1303 days ago) @ ManKitten

Yeah, and not to diminish the benefits of SSD, but if even that is too expensive, you can get a slow drive for cheaper and just shuttle off a game you are not playing - like delete and re-download but without the bandwidth cap worries and probably faster?

But if you can afford it, SSD are nice.

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 14:17 (1303 days ago) @ Vortech

Hell, an old school disk drive is still faster than the internal one if you get one with USB 3. XD

What Everyone Else Has Said

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 13:19 (1303 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Unfortunately, your games are just too big. Heh heh!

But everyone else is right—an external drive is the easiest solution. I have 160 games on my 2tb drive—not even halfway full yet. Save your money and buy a drive!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread