Sony PS3/PSP/VITA game store closing (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 29, 2021, 12:22 (1116 days ago)

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/important-notice/

If you want to buy a game digitally, better do it soon. After the closure you cannot make purchases, and but you'll be able to redownload things you've already bought.

Sony PS3/PSP/VITA game store closing

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 29, 2021, 13:23 (1115 days ago) @ Cody Miller

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/important-notice/

If you want to buy a game digitally, better do it soon. After the closure you cannot make purchases, and but you'll be able to redownload things you've already bought.

Heh - if I wanted to figure out if there were games for a PS3 I wanted to buy, I'd need to go up to my attic, find the (probably unlabeled) box that contains my PS3, unpack it, hook it up somewhere, boot it up and check what's on it.

And then realize that there's no point in buying games for it, digitally or otherwise, because I DON'T USE IT ANY MORE.

:)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, March 29, 2021, 13:25 (1115 days ago) @ Claude Errera

And then realize that there's no point in buying games for it, digitally or otherwise, because I DON'T USE IT ANY MORE.

That just means you can get rid of it after you drag it out of the attic.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, March 29, 2021, 13:30 (1115 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That's the beauty of everything going digital! I don't have to keep every single console I've ever owned. Everything is backwards compatible now! Digital is the best ever! I'm glad Cody pointed out this story so I can go and buy more digital content. We live in a great time, I tell you.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 29, 2021, 13:55 (1115 days ago) @ ManKitten

That's the beauty of everything going digital! I don't have to keep every single console I've ever owned. Everything is backwards compatible now! Digital is the best ever! I'm glad Cody pointed out this story so I can go and buy more digital content. We live in a great time, I tell you.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 29, 2021, 15:43 (1115 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Is she... dressed like a penis?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, April 03, 2021, 10:52 (1111 days ago) @ ManKitten

I mean, I’m not so bothered by the idea of digital as. Cody, but if Sony no longer wants to run the store as a place that lets you download games for money, I can’t imagine they will want to run the store as a place that lets you download games but they can’t take in money. The usefulness of my vita is on a ticking clock starting now. Since it only takes oddball memory stick format it’s not really practical to download everything I bought, either. Backwards compatibility isn’t a thing for the vita really either. Lots of cool smaller games will ride off into the sunset with the Vita.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 29, 2021, 13:28 (1115 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Heh - if I wanted to figure out if there were games for a PS3 I wanted to buy, I'd need to go up to my attic, find the (probably unlabeled) box that contains my PS3, unpack it, hook it up somewhere, boot it up and check what's on it.

It's more of a problem with the PSP. All the good digital only PS3 games are also on modern systems too.

Custom Firmware/Homebrew/Emulation time

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:16 (1100 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Spec ops Grunt, Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:20

The nice thing about this generation of consoles is the Custom Firmware Scene is both well established and the console manufactures don't care about pushing updates to break CFW anymore.

I think the PSP contains a perfect ps1 emulator, the thing is that Sony only ever released certain PSX games on the PSP, but with CFW you can convert/download PSX games in the PSP's emulation format.

No idea if PS3 has the same emulation features built in tho, but honestly CFW is worth it for playing online for games where the official servers are shut down, people play MGS4 MP still because of hacks and stuff like this. Imo software copyright on depreciated hardware is something that needs to go away. Software preservation is important and making sourcecode open source and not having the looming threat of copyright law is the best way to ensure older software/games can be enjoyed by later generations.

Pro tip: the PSP version of The Force Unleashed is great!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 29, 2021, 14:09 (1115 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It’s actually a different game than its PS3/Xbox 360 sibling. Same story and structure, but missions and mechanics built specifically for the PSP version. I enjoyed it a lot more than the other versions of the game.

Backpedal

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 19, 2021, 15:37 (1094 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread