Destiny Community Podcast interview with Bungie Devs (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 09:28 (1052 days ago)

The DCP spent around two hours talking to Kevin Yanes and Chris Proctor about the Destiny sandbox.

I’m just starting to listen, so I don’t really know what it encompasses, but there is a decent summary and discussion on reddit if you don’t want to listen.

Destiny Community Podcast interview with Bungie Devs

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 09:49 (1052 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The DCP spent around two hours talking to Kevin Yanes and Chris Proctor about the Destiny sandbox.

I’m just starting to listen, so I don’t really know what it encompasses, but there is a decent summary and discussion on reddit if you don’t want to listen.

(Direct Link)

So I had just read the summary write up on reddit, and was going to make a thread, and what do I find? I get to comment on it instead!

First of all, I'm intensely glad about the clarification on what happened with stasis. I can't be the only person who said "that's all you had to say". TL;DR - It was an over-tweak due to a question; why freeze when you could OHKO? I get it! You're in a vacuum and you're afraid the thing you are making is going to be irrelevant, so you push it super hard. Now, to me that means you need to do something about your TESTING protocols, but, all in all I get it.

Fantastic.

...and that's all I can write down right now, but later on at some point I'll probably throw down a few more notes. :)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 12:03 (1052 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I think it’s worth listening to instead of reading the summary. The stasis explanation makes more sense, I think. I got the impression that it wasn’t so much about it being irrelevant, just that freezing things didn’t feel all that good. Why freeze things and delay dealing with them, when you could just play a subclass that allows you to directly deal with the problem instead of freezing it to deal with it in a few seconds? So they pushed it stronger and stronger so that it felt good to play.

I still maintain that getting frozen feels so incredibly bad and unfun that it outweighs any positives of however fun it might be to use, but that’s sort of a separate conversation.

In any case, I’m about halfway through the podcast, and it is fantastic. I understand why it’s not possible all the time, but it’s the sort of frank communication I really wish we could get more of. Most people are understanding (at least theoretically) that making video games is complex and difficult and not an exact science—I think it’s possible to talk about design philosophy and goals and such without the community taking those things as promises.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 14:11 (1052 days ago) @ cheapLEY

D1 hawkmoon was boring

:-0

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 14:36 (1052 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don’t disagree.

Boring maybe isn’t exactly the correct word, but I get the sentiment. It wasn’t active. With new Hawkmoon, you have to actively land headshots to build the buff, it’s not just a luck of the draw random bullet.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread