No Destiny til 2014

by Beckx, Monday, February 18, 2013, 18:24 (4084 days ago)

Or so says IGN

No Destiny til 2014

by Hedge ⌂, Australia, Monday, February 18, 2013, 18:40 (4084 days ago) @ Beckx

Looks like I'm going to have to find something to do until then. Maybe knitting. Scarves for everyone!

Maybe I'll just go and learn the entire Ray Parker Jr back catalogue for the kazoo. I have no life.

-Hedge.

Can't wait for that album *NM*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, February 18, 2013, 18:45 (4084 days ago) @ Hedge

- No text -

I bet your scarfs are awesome.

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 12:14 (4082 days ago) @ Hedge

Can I have a mini-tapestry, with my head Knitoshopped onto the Chief, doing the Halo 3 Warthog run? (You can be the Arbiter.)

No Destiny til 2014

by electricpirate @, Monday, February 18, 2013, 19:09 (4084 days ago) @ Beckx

While I want it now, 2014 will be a much better time for new vidja games for me than 2013.

Also, a prediciton: if destiny is being pushed to 2013, then we'll see next gen versions released at the same time, with PC shortly after.

No Destiny til 2014

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, February 18, 2013, 19:33 (4084 days ago) @ Beckx

No bitching from me. GTA V seems to be my only anticipated 2013 release and it saves me time and sanity not to worry over anything else.

No Destiny til 2014

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Monday, February 18, 2013, 20:56 (4084 days ago) @ Beckx

This doesn't surprise me at all, from what we saw in the ViDoc, Destiny seems to be pretty early in the development stage for a Fall 2013 release.

I think Destiny would have a far greater impact if it was released in 2014 on next-gen hardware. It just seems silly to me that a developer would spend so many resources on a title for 8 year-old hardware when more capable platforms are right around the corner.

No Destiny til 2014

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, February 18, 2013, 21:16 (4084 days ago) @ Kalamari

I think Destiny would have a far greater impact if it was released in 2014 on next-gen hardware. It just seems silly to me that a developer would spend so many resources on a title for 8 year-old hardware when more capable platforms are right around the corner.

Target an install base of <15M.

Or an install base of probably 100M plus that install base of <15M.

The God of War franchise was faced with a similar decision in 2007, and they went with targeting the Playstation 2, to huge success. If you can pull off what you want to pull off on the older hardware, it's not necessarily a catastrophic decision. You've got to really sell that idea, but it can work.

One good thing is that the extra power of Durango and Orbis are probably not completely going to waste on Destiny. Even if the graphics are "basically the same", there'll probably be a massive boost in image quality, performance, asset quality, and all that good stuff.

No Destiny til 2014

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 16:12 (4083 days ago) @ uberfoop

Or an install base of probably 100M plus

Over 140 million, to be exact. Both the 360 and PS3 have sold over 70 million units each.

that install base of <15M.

Sounds about right. It took over a year for the PS3 & 360 to get to 10 million units each, so assuming a November 2014 release for Destiny, a year after the expected debut of the "720" and PS4, those systems might have only sold 15 million units combined at most, though more will be sold over the holiday season. If Destiny launches in the April (six months after the next-gen systems launch), then that's just that many fewer units in people's homes. There might be only 3 or 4 million 720s & PS4s at the time.

No Destiny til 2014

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 20:26 (4083 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

Over 140 million, to be exact. Both the 360 and PS3 have sold over 70 million units each.

Well, let's be careful. 150M of these things have shipped, but that doesn't mean that all of them are still sufficiently in service to be considered "install base."

Also, makes me wonder

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 20:34 (4083 days ago) @ uberfoop

How playable will the game be if the player has absolutely no internet connection?

My ex-gf's brother still has the blades dashboard on his 360, for instance. How ripped-off would his mother be if she bought Destiny for him (given she knows zilch about videogames and videogame stores down here are as far from helpful as they can be)?

Doesn't look great

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 20:40 (4083 days ago) @ ZackDark

Sadly I don't think you would be able to play it without an Internet connection. I could be (and kind of hope I am) wrong, but "always connected" tends to suggest you need a connection to be there...always.

Doesn't look great

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 20:45 (4083 days ago) @ Xenos

If so, a very noticeable warning has to be given on the cover of the game, which, in turn, would make it less appealing, aesthetics-wise.

Having no form of physical copies being sold (at best, DL codes) would definitely help in this situation, but I think that's quite far-fetched...

It's okay.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 21:54 (4083 days ago) @ ZackDark

If so, a very noticeable warning has to be given on the cover of the game, which, in turn, would make it less appealing, aesthetics-wise.

1-That didn't kill World of Warcraft.

2-If you're worried about it for the aesthetics of your own collection, feel free to refer to this thread. Especially this one here.

It's okay.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 08:02 (4083 days ago) @ uberfoop

1- True enough

2- That's really cool of them. Thanks for the heads-up

360 has a 110% failure rate alone!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 20:35 (4083 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

Well, that's both good and bad.

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 16:15 (4083 days ago) @ Beckx

It's bad in that we have to wait longer for our Destiny. It's good in that it gives Bungie more time to work on the game, plus it gives me time to save up for either a "720" or PS4 (depending on which one has a more appeal set of launch window titles), since if I'm going to get Destiny I'm going to get it for next-gen.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread