New Breaking In (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, November 18, 2013, 16:18 (3814 days ago)

Bungie has posted a new Breaking In with Mike Shannon. Go read what working on networking for Destiny is like.

love this advice

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 07:36 (3813 days ago) @ Xenos

In the IT world, get your hands on as many things as you can. Don’t just install something and say “Yay, I know this now.” Beat the crap out of it. Break it, wipe it, and start over. Do that a couple dozen times, and then it can go on your resume. Breadth and depth of knowledge is what it’s all about.

Iterate, iterate, iterate, keep at it

love this advice

by DeeJ ⌂, Bungie, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 10:00 (3813 days ago) @ kidtsunami

And stay in school. This means you, Claude!

YOU'RE NOT MY DAD

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 10:40 (3813 days ago) @ DeeJ

- No text -

That's not what he told me…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 11:15 (3813 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

DeeJ, future Weekly Update/Mailsack idea?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 21:39 (3813 days ago) @ DeeJ

I work closely with IT hardware (servers, networking, storage solutions, etc.) and would find it downright fascinating to see a little more of the backbone that will be managing the monster that the digital world of Destiny is sure to become - think Phogoth, off the chains.

This article from 2008 on the old bnet publications page was a very fun read long ago (Life on the Bungie Farm: Fun things to do with 180 servers and 300 processors - Luis Villegas, Sean Shypula)
"Even if your users are programmers, they still don’t want to understand how the system works"
Maybe I'm not typical, as I'd love to know more about the system and how it is evolving.

This more recent photo from a Penny Arcade tour earlier this year showed a dark, intriguing view of the server room.
[image]

There is likely alot that you wouldn't want to show and tell, but seeing even a little more would be exciting. Especially with the revelations you guys have made in rendering, custom light mapping, shading, visibility, plus continuing advancements with particle effects, and simulated physics, etc.

So true

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 14:51 (3813 days ago) @ kidtsunami

You know nothing about a software until it breaks your spirit and you gather the pieces back up.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread