Anyone else still torn between XB1/PS4? (Gaming)

by Spawn ⌂, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 17:26 (3812 days ago)
edited by Spawn, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 17:41

[image]

Don't get me wrong, I'm super pumped about the next generation of gaming, I'm just at a bit of a crossroad for deciding what path to take. For those of you know what kind of gamer I am, primarily a first person shooter. I've been playing Bungie games for almost 14 years now.

Most of my current friends list is planning on staying on Xbox One some moving to PS4 (it's about an 80/20 split). Here's my pros/cons for things that matter to me:

Xbox One
*Titanfall
*Most friends staying here
*Already have profile created/achievements/game history etc
*CONTROLLER!
*I like that twitch streaming will be coming down the road later
*Don't care about Kinect
*Don't care about TV

PS4
*Killzone
*Still have few friends initially crossing over
*Would essentially "start over" my new profile
*Controller is nice
*Streaming right out of the gate through twitch
*Bungie's Flagship console for Destiny - Activision deal (and Bungie is really pushing for PS4 on Destiny).

The biggest thing is that I don't want to go with one, then 2/3 years later end up moving to the other. I like to stay on one. The ideal solution? Make bungie.net profiles "save" your Destiny character in a cloud, then you can load up your character on a profile that's connected to your bungie.net. I would just buy both consoles then :-)

Are you already decided? What's your dilemma?

Anyone else still torn between XB1/PS4?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 17:44 (3812 days ago) @ Spawn

Let me just say, having played Titanfall at PAX, and owning Shadow Fall, Titanfall is a much more fun game. Shadow Fall is pretty good, but it's pretty much just a run of the mill FPS. Titanfall is new and the ease of moving around in that game with even getting on top of buildings or boarding enemy Titans is amazing.

by Spawn ⌂, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 17:54 (3812 days ago) @ Xenos

Thanks for this. I do have a few more friends saying they also played Titanfall at PAX and so far it's been nothing but positive reviews. I'm not basing my entire decision on Destiny, but that's a large portion of it. Titanfall does sway that decision.

by Egodude, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 18:14 (3812 days ago) @ Spawn

Spawn I played it at PAX it was an UNREAL game! I am staying xbox one but in the future I could see myself buying the ps4 down the road but xbox one is my goto for now.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 18:31 (3812 days ago) @ Spawn

Buy one.

Then don't buy coffee ever. The money you would have spent on coffee should be put in a jar instead. After about 120 days, your jar can buy you the other one.

Alternatively, cancel your cable TV and just download everything. After 4 or 5 months you should be good.

I'd say get both and just cut something out that's unimportant to pay for it.

by Spawn ⌂, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 18:49 (3812 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Then don't buy coffee ever

[image]

LOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 19:35 (3812 days ago) @ Spawn

- No text -

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 20:44 (3812 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Buy one.

Then don't buy coffee ever. The money you would have spent on coffee should be put in a jar instead. After about 120 days, your jar can buy you the other one.

Alternatively, cancel your cable TV and just download everything. After 4 or 5 months you should be good.

I'd say get both and just cut something out that's unimportant to pay for it.

I wish your method could work for me. But I don't drink coffee or have cable television...

I'm leaning towards the PS4, Spawn, but I've been pretty burnt out on a lot of Microsoft's decisions / attitudes the last year or two. Although it's all marketing, the slightly different vibe Playstation is giving off sounds refreshing and revitalizing to my gaming enthusiasm. Even a change in controller, and tactile textures, as well as dashboard style/formats sounds really exciting, heh. :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 20:50 (3812 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 20:57

I'm leaning towards the PS4, Spawn, but I've been pretty burnt out on a lot of Microsoft's decisions / attitudes the last year or two. Although it's all marketing, the slightly different vibe Playstation is giving off sounds refreshing and revitalizing to my gaming enthusiasm. Even a change in controller, and tactile textures, as well as dashboard style/formats sounds really exciting, heh. :)

I'm bigger into PC gaming now that I got a new graphics card for my 5 year old Mac Pro.

I just finished Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea. It was outrageously boring and pointless, but at least I was bored looking at it with everything on Ultra.

It only took 200 bucks to modernize my old mac, so that could be an option too. Granted it was top of the line (3.2ghz 8 core 2X xeon) in 2008, but I'm guessing if you got a PC in the last 2 or 3 years this would work just as well if not better.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 22:11 (3812 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm bigger into PC gaming now that I got a new graphics card for my 5 year old Mac Pro.

I just finished Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea. It was outrageously boring and pointless, but at least I was bored looking at it with everything on Ultra.

It only took 200 bucks to modernize my old mac, so that could be an option too. Granted it was top of the line (3.2ghz 8 core 2X xeon) in 2008, but I'm guessing if you got a PC in the last 2 or 3 years this would work just as well if not better.

Still trying to afford rent, bills, etc. and still give lots of time to art, so I really have no idea when a new PC or console is in the cards. Years, likely. The PS4 I mentioned is a mere daydream. :)

But I can run Alpha Centauri and Age of Empires II on this PC, so I'm happy!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 22:21 (3812 days ago) @ Leviathan

Still trying to afford rent, bills, etc. and still give lots of time to art, so I really have no idea when a new PC or console is in the cards. Years, likely. The PS4 I mentioned is a mere daydream. :)

Just rig the release date contest and reassign the winning date to yourself :-p

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 22:39 (3812 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That'd be difficult since I'm the one running the contest not Levi :-D

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 23:09 (3812 days ago) @ Xenos

Might not be THAT difficult. Some fool did give me the keys to this forum...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 23:14 (3812 days ago) @ Leviathan

Yes, but I already have the official spreadsheet with everyone's guesses!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 23:26 (3812 days ago) @ Xenos

I'll just change my username to Xenos and then ban you permanently. And delete this post.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 01:02 (3811 days ago) @ Leviathan

and link to a NEW spreadsheet

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 06:07 (3811 days ago) @ kidtsunami

This is the part of the movie where the villain tells everyone his plan right? Nothing could go wrong...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 07:14 (3811 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'll just change my username to Xenos and then ban you permanently. And delete this post.

Ah, but you are forgetting one crucial detail. If you do that, then YOU will have to give out the prize :)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 09:34 (3811 days ago) @ Xenos

Ah, but you are forgetting one crucial detail. If you do that, then YOU will have to give out the prize :)

Yes, the new Xenos will reward this kid Leviathan... I've thought this thing through. It's a perfect plan!

Except everyone knows about it.

Is that how Wu rose to power?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 07:40 (3811 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

B.Org Episode I: The Rise of Wu

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 09:35 (3811 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

Wait... Wu has power?

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 12:30 (3811 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

I HAVE THE POOOOWAAAAAAAAAAH!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 12:53 (3811 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I for one welcome our Padraig Overlord.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 17:24 (3811 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Though Xenos should be Admin.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 17:43 (3811 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

If they ever need me I'm here, but they already have what like 9 admins? :)

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 18:22 (3811 days ago) @ Xenos

I challenge Xenos to a Jaeger-Kaiju smackdown for adminship.

Coming Exclusive to HBOMB 2014.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 18:40 (3811 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I challenge Xenos to a Jaeger-Kaiju smackdown for adminship.

Coming Exclusive to HBOMB 2014.

Can we use swords, or do we have to wait until we're almost beat first?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 18:53 (3811 days ago) @ Xenos

Depends whether one of us starts to fly or not

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 19:55 (3811 days ago) @ Xenos

For now, yes... but the annual gladiatorial competition at the end of the month will probably weed out a few.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 19:57 (3811 days ago) @ Leviathan

For now, yes... but the annual gladiatorial competition at the end of the month will probably weed out a few.

Oooh, are you guys taking bets?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 20:32 (3811 days ago) @ Xenos

Oooh, are you guys taking bets?

Leviathan wins. Why? Pen > Sword.

Unless Padraig is involved.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 21:16 (3811 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Leviathan wins. Why? Pen > Sword.

I own more swords than pens at the moment actually... (though not that many on either account)

But none of them will help me if I'm matched up against Claude. That'd be like a Hobbit wailing on an Ent.

This video gets me, every time.

by Spawn ⌂, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 19:49 (3811 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

Padraig? POWER?!

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 23:26 (3811 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Padraig? POWER?!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, November 22, 2013, 08:05 (3810 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

It's okay, I'm sure he'll end up getting banned, just like he gets banned at dboTV.

It ain't ogre til it's ogre

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, November 22, 2013, 10:21 (3810 days ago) @ Xenos

By the time Destiny comes out I'll be chained in the basement drinking the nuclear refuse waiting for someone to set me free. I will be that ogre.

It ain't ogre til it's ogre

by Avateur @, Friday, November 22, 2013, 10:42 (3810 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Watch out for my Burro Blast, padraig!

Not really

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 22:34 (3812 days ago) @ Spawn

I'm only torn deciding where I'll be spending my time playing Destiny. I know that it'll be on either of these next-gen consoles, so that kinda narrows it down. Cross-platform cloud saving via Bungie.net would be amazing. I know I'll have plenty of friends on Live and PSN, so I'd have no issue buying two copies.

In general, I'm not all that excited for the upcoming consoles. There's not a single launch game on either console which excites me enough to even rent, so I'll be waiting for a few more months. Odds are I'll be purchasing the Xbox One for Titanfall first, then the PlayStation 4 for Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. We got bit in the ass being an early adopter for Xbox 350 so I'm not going to deal with that shit again.

Unless the Xbox One came in white. I'd have to choke a bitch for one of those.

Not really

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 00:16 (3811 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I'm only torn deciding where I'll be spending my time playing Destiny. I know that it'll be on either of these next-gen consoles, so that kinda narrows it down. Cross-platform cloud saving via Bungie.net would be amazing. I know I'll have plenty of friends on Live and PSN, so I'd have no issue buying two copies.

In general, I'm not all that excited for the upcoming consoles. There's not a single launch game on either console which excites me enough to even rent, so I'll be waiting for a few more months. Odds are I'll be purchasing the Xbox One for Titanfall first, then the PlayStation 4 for Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. We got bit in the ass being an early adopter for Xbox 350 so I'm not going to deal with that shit again.

Pretty much all of this.

Don't care about next gen yet. Nothing interesting at launch. Early adoption sucks. I'm broke anyway. My only deciding factor is what Destiny will be the best on.

Not really

by Hyokin, New York, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 18:33 (3811 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Pretty much all of this.

Don't care about next gen yet. Nothing interesting at launch. Early adoption sucks. I'm broke anyway. My only deciding factor is what Destiny will be the best on.

Exactly my situation.

Emmy and I are able to make ends meet but don't have nearly enough money to be buying a new console.

We're probably going to go with PS3 Destiny and just enjoy it co-op.

Not really

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 04:04 (3811 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Hit the nail on the head. I just don't see a point in getting an Xbox One or a PS4 at this point in time. There's no launch titles I really care for and I'd like to see an early technical problems be fixed.

But really, I just don't have money.

Not really

by Spawn ⌂, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 12:42 (3811 days ago) @ TDSpiral

Either way, I'm still not going next gen until Spring. I plan on sticking with the 360 throughout Destiny's beta, then I will make the switch.

Not really

by yakaman, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 06:19 (3811 days ago) @ Grizzlei

In general, I'm not all that excited for the upcoming consoles. There's not a single launch game on either console which excites me enough to even rent, so I'll be waiting for a few more months.

So much this. They look shiny and great, but the lack of "gotta have exclusives" really makes it clear that it's the games that matter.

I'm saving and aiming at August-ish of next year for a new console, tv, and sound system. Winning some sort of lottery would help.

Also, pan-handling.

I'm kinda weird right now

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 09:27 (3811 days ago) @ Grizzlei

These past few years I've used my 360 and PS3 more as a media platform than as gaming consoles. I'll log a day of watching Netflix for every thirty minutes I'm playing a game, yet we have an immense library of 70 digital titles (regular and arcade) and 50 physicals for the two consoles. Fortunately these games are treated right by my boyfriend, but I've neglected them so terribly.

However, all I'm worried about for the next generation consoles are the games and I refuse to acquire either of them until there's a great variety of exciting titles. I already have two media platforms in the current gen consoles, so all of this advanced media stuffs doesn't entice me a single bit.

On another note, I'm slightly disturbed by the sizes of the hard drives. 500GB is hardly anything for people who enjoy the ease of digital download, as we're trying to commit to. Our 360 has a 250GB hard drive and 30 of the games are 4-8GB retail titles, along with a few big DLC episodes. Nearly all of these games were purchased in the last year (thanks for all the sales, assholes). With that in consideration for Xbox One, over a 8+ year lifespan, I'll have to continually purchase new storage devices or rely on the cloud (I think that's a thing). I'd happily pay much more money for a standard hard drive of 1TB+.

About your storage issue...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, November 21, 2013, 19:04 (3811 days ago) @ Grizzlei

The answer is

[image]

the CLOUD!

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, November 22, 2013, 09:59 (3810 days ago) @ Grizzlei

: I'd happily pay much more money for a standard hard drive of 1TB+.

Isn't the PS4's a user-replaceable 2.5"? You can get a 1TB drive for under $100. Change it yourself and sell the 500GB one.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, November 22, 2013, 10:06 (3810 days ago) @ RC

Isn't the PS4's a user-replaceable 2.5"? You can get a 1TB drive for under $100. Change it yourself and sell the 500GB one.

Or turn it into an external hard drive for when the XBox One adds external hard drive support :-D

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 24, 2013, 15:38 (3808 days ago) @ RC

Or put an SSD in it :-p

by RC ⌂, UK, Monday, November 25, 2013, 06:40 (3807 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Or put an SSD in it :-p

Probably in a few years that'll be a good option. IMO a bit expensive right now for a primary storage drive.

Not really

by Pfhrogblast, Finland, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 11:27 (3811 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Odds are I'll be purchasing the Xbox One for Titanfall first, then the PlayStation 4 for Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.

But... Xbox will have MGS too?

Personally I'm a bit unsure if I should buy either. I kind of want a PS4, but I could play Destiny and MGS on devices I already own. Those are the the only games I'm really looking forward to. On PS3 I wouldn't even need to pay for online. With a little wishful thinking both will eventually even have PC versions. At the moment it just feels unnecessary for me to splurge on a new console.

Not really

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 11:55 (3811 days ago) @ Pfhrogblast

It's not going to have Ground Zeroes which is the prequel to MGS 5.

Not really

by Pfhrogblast, Finland, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 12:22 (3811 days ago) @ Xenos

Yes it will. The only thing missing from Xboxes will be an MGS1 themed extra mission.

Not really

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 12:24 (3811 days ago) @ Pfhrogblast

Yes it will. The only thing missing from Xboxes will be an MGS1 themed extra mission.

Oh yeah you're right! I hate misleading titles on news articles.

Not really

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 12:25 (3811 days ago) @ Xenos

Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain will be on both the Xbox One and Xbox 360, along with the PS3 and PS4. Xbox always receives the short stick from Kojima, however, so like with every other Metal Gear, I'm sticking with PlayStation. Metal Gear Rising is the only kinda/sorta exception where the only console exclusivity came from Japanese editions.

nope

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 00:45 (3811 days ago) @ Spawn

Was strongly considering the PS4, hell still have a PS4 pre-order of destiny for a country I don't even live in, and it really just came down to community.

After looking at everything, excited about all the great strides that PS4 have made, I emailed the group I play with (mainly Halo) and there was a general "Why would we switch, XBox Live has been great for us, oh and we're all getting Titanfall right?"

So I'm getting an XBox One for sure, and probably getting a PS4 sometime middle of next year to start playing exclusives on. Most of my gaming is with friends and it's too important for me to be just a silly voice command away from jumping in with them.

It would blow my mind if Sony was able to get PSN to compete with XBox Live.

Oh and I'm definitely picking up a Vita, there's that...

by thesirchelios ⌂ @, Sweden, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 04:00 (3811 days ago) @ Spawn

I'll be picking up a PS4 in time for the Destiny beta and then I might buy an Xbox in the fall. I really hope we can use our b.net accounts to transfer saves because I'll have friends playing on both platforms and if there is a future PC version I'd like to be able to play that as well.

by Spawn ⌂, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 12:46 (3811 days ago) @ thesirchelios

I feel like something with saving your character would be a reasonable solution, especially if Bungie is planning on keeping players around Destiny for 10 years. All we can do is hope :-)

Much like my decision to get a 3ds

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 12:47 (3811 days ago) @ Spawn

I will wait til such a miraculous game comes out, and then I will work back to all the games I missed.

by ridum, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 13:36 (3811 days ago) @ Spawn

Get Destiny for THIRD XBOX 360, play beta, observe PS4 1st few months … if good then get PS4.

NEVER BUY ANOTHER M$ Product if I don't have to.

by Spawn ⌂, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 19:53 (3811 days ago) @ ridum

If I could actually just sit down with each next gen console for a couple hours, I feel like I could make a good choice. Then again, I have a long time before I'm considering buying. It's more a test of which community, exclusive and long term plan I want to go with.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, November 22, 2013, 00:36 (3810 days ago) @ ridum

Get Destiny for THIRD XBOX 360, play beta, observe PS4 1st few months … if good then get PS4.

Hey, I know you've been burned. You should just be aware that the PS2 wasn't the most reliable kit out there either. I've seen the inside of too many 360s and PS2s.

And "M$" always makes me roll my eyes even though I've always been an Apple fan.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, November 22, 2013, 08:07 (3810 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Hey, I know you've been burned. You should just be aware that the PS2 wasn't the most reliable kit out there either. I've seen the inside of too many 360s and PS2s.

And "M$" always makes me roll my eyes even though I've always been an Apple fan.

I've also personally had great experiences with Microsoft making it right whenever I have a problem with my 360. Even if I do have to ask for a manager first instead of talking to their TERRIBLE technical support staff.

No mention of Halo in XB1 thinking?

by kappus 000, UK, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 13:43 (3811 days ago) @ Spawn

Done with Halo?

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 14:05 (3811 days ago) @ kappus 000

Done with Halo?

I think Halo 5 is a bit too far off for prospective buyers like a few of us in this discussion to be a factor.

by kappus 000, UK, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 14:35 (3811 days ago) @ Grizzlei

i mentioned it because that's what my decision came down to: after all the media stuff, i had to decide if i was i going to give up the option to play Halo. Destiny will be there whatever i choose. Titanfall is pretty important - played it at Eurogamer and it was fun - but could i let go of the investment i have in the Halo universe? [Not Halo 4, particularly] For me, that was the real question.
XB1 arrives soon.

by Spawn ⌂, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 19:52 (3811 days ago) @ kappus 000

Halo isn't a factor for me. I don't expect we'll be seeing the "peak" era of Halo anymore, that time has arisen and moved onward. I played through Reach, didn't enjoy Halo 4 and I don't like the direction it's going. Even if I go with XB1, I'm not considering H5 in my maybe list. It might get a rent at best.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 20:09 (3811 days ago) @ kappus 000
edited by uberfoop, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 20:13

Done with Halo?

Maybe. If 343i doesn't seriously turn things around, anyway.

Halo 4 is a decent game in and of itself, but it's not going to single-handedly sell me a system. Hell, it's at the point where I'm not sure I'd get Halo 5 at its launch even if I had an XBO. Really would depend on how I feel on a given day.

It's just not a big factor right now. And it won't become one unless Halo 5 gets some absolutely ridiculous ringing endorsement from the community (or if it's extremely polarizing in a lot of funky ways; watching angry people scream at each other on GAF about exactly which ways it sucks is part of why I picked up FFXIII).

Noooooooooooooooope

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, November 21, 2013, 15:31 (3811 days ago) @ Spawn

Spoiler: a curse on both their houses!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 22, 2013, 06:05 (3810 days ago) @ Spawn

Waiting to hear for sure whether any sort of cross-platform play is in store for Destiny.

None of the launch games are must-haves for me.

Considering a Destiny-themed PS4.

(Perhaps a Halo-themed Xbox One someday)

In the meantime, a cheap PS3 is probable.

One caveat: the availability of a new Mirror's Edge could change every calculation.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 22, 2013, 06:18 (3810 days ago) @ Kermit

One caveat: the availability of a new Mirror's Edge could change every calculation.

If Mirror's Edge get exclusive to either consoles, I'll be a very, very sad boy, indeed.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 22, 2013, 09:42 (3810 days ago) @ ZackDark

If Mirror's Edge get exclusive to either consoles, I'll be a very, very sad boy, indeed.

Content might be, but it's supposed to ship on both. I'm mainly talking about wanting to play it on an next-gen system on release day. If it comes out before Destiny, I'm going to have to make a choice.

Sorta, buuuuut....

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, November 22, 2013, 07:12 (3810 days ago) @ Spawn

...I keep saying I'm torn, but for me it always comes back to, "do I want to pay a monthly sub-fee for TWO online gaming networks?" Because, even if I go PS4, I won't be scrapping my 360, so I'll still want XBLive, but I'll need to get PS+ if I want to play Destiny multiplayer online. Now, I do already have XBL paid for via 12-month-cards that I bought for cheap a few years ago, but I have to ask myself, "can I afford ANOTHER $50/month?" Especially in light of my now 8-month-old son, the answer is an easy "no".

Also, I do want to play out the rest of the Halo story, regardless of the "direction". I enjoy the mythos and campaign, and I have a lot of friends who I'll likely want to play with in the future.

Bottom line; I'm still invested in XBLive and I can't justify the ongoing cost of TWO online gaming networks, so I'll be sticking with Xbox. Although it won't be anytime soon, as there's nothing really compelling me to get it NOW, which is fine; I need time to save up! ;)

Sorta, buuuuut....

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, November 22, 2013, 08:10 (3810 days ago) @ Mid7night

"can I afford ANOTHER $50/month?"

I assume this is supposed to be $50/year?

Sorta, buuuuut....

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, November 22, 2013, 08:24 (3810 days ago) @ Xenos

I assume this is supposed to be $50/year?

The hidden cost of the PS4: FIVE-HUNDRED NINTY-NINE U. S. DOLLARS! per year

LOLYES

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, November 22, 2013, 09:06 (3810 days ago) @ Xenos

Darnnitall, too late to go back and edit!

I know I know, $50/year isn't break-the-bank territory, but it's more than I want to spend, and that's just my opinion.

LOLYES

by LostSpartan, Friday, November 22, 2013, 09:30 (3810 days ago) @ Mid7night

I know I know, $50/year isn't break-the-bank territory, but it's more than I want to spend, and that's just my opinion.

It can add up though, so no one should fault you for thinking about it in a financially smart way, especially with a kid added into the mix :)

Not really.

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Saturday, November 23, 2013, 00:39 (3809 days ago) @ Spawn

I made up my mind back in June as to which system was going to be my primary. The combination of the PS4's lower price, Bungie & Activision being all buddy-buddy with Sony (exclusive content, etc.), and the fact that on the exclusives front MS had nothing to offer me besides Halo (I lost all interest in Titanfall when it was announced there would be no single-player campaign), whereas Sony actually had launch window titles that interested me as well as a ton of support from indie devs, not to mention Sony has a solid first-party track record from studios like Guerilla Games, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, SCE Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, and Polyphony Digital.

While having to build a new social circle in a new online ecosystem is going to be rough after having been on XBL for nearly nine years, there's really only a few people I play online with anymore anyways (I rarely play Halo 4 anymore as it is), so I don't mind the PS4 being my primary even from a social standpoint. Destiny is going to be what I spend most of my time playing online anyway, so I really only need a group of friends big enough to where I'll always have someone online to play through missions with.

Now, I am still getting an XBO eventually, but it won't be for at least another year. Either Halo 5 needs to really impress me, or MS needs to introduce a steep price cut and/or a Kinect-less SKU. $500 was going to be too much for a system whose only exclusive that appealed to me was Halo, and considering how much I disliked 343I's handling of Halo 4, it's actually more like taking a $500 risk in giving them a second chance. Now is simply not the right time for me to get an XBO.

Anyone still torn? (HP?)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 16:34 (3805 days ago) @ Spawn

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread