Another Piece Deleted From My Heart... (Destiny)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, February 21, 2022, 21:24 (795 days ago)

It may not have been my favorite planet...but he was by far my favorite vendor. An alien after my own heart, so to speak. As soon as I met him I instantly found myself enamored by his succinct barbs and clever and careful use of 'terms and conditions'. I found a great kinship with him, similar in so many ways: we both prefer to negotiate our way out of a hairy situation instead of getting our hands dirty; we both have a great deal of knowledge, and our ego of such is even greater; we have a fascination with how things play out, watching from the sides; our curiosity in the obscure; we're shamelessly crafty and manipulative; we're always willing to supply what someone needs...for the right price...we're even both heavily obese and suffer from a deviated septum!

...well, I used to. Down to 245, and no snoring. ;-)

But I filled out my postcard for that purple stretch of rocks chained together, and I'll always treasure the smirk that permanently lit up my fave whenever I heard that rousing drum roll...or when I joined him in his gleeful cackling laughter.

To the king of the Smugglers...I'll miss you forever.

[image]

Another Piece Deleted From My Heart...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 07:04 (794 days ago) @ Morpheus

It may not have been my favorite planet...but he was by far my favorite vendor. An alien after my own heart, so to speak. As soon as I met him I instantly found myself enamored by his succinct barbs and clever and careful use of 'terms and conditions'. I found a great kinship with him, similar in so many ways: we both prefer to negotiate our way out of a hairy situation instead of getting our hands dirty; we both have a great deal of knowledge, and our ego of such is even greater; we have a fascination with how things play out, watching from the sides; our curiosity in the obscure; we're shamelessly crafty and manipulative; we're always willing to supply what someone needs...for the right price...we're even both heavily obese and suffer from a deviated septum!

But I filled out my postcard for that purple stretch of rocks chained together, and I'll always treasure the smirk that permanently lit up my fave whenever I heard that rousing drum roll...or when I joined him in his gleeful cackling laughter.

[image]

He was a more interesting Jabba the Hut than Jabba the Hut. Always got ticked at his behavior towards us at the end of strikes. Same with the Drifter.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 22, 2022, 07:37 (794 days ago) @ Morpheus

Given your recent history the title scared me a little. Glad it was just a metaphor.

That's awesome man. I dunno what you started at but it must have been a significant drop to make a difference on snoring. I also got healthier in the last couple of years, I know how much better you must feel.

I think that might have been the last major expansion I played before I checked out of D2, I'm sad to hear that it's gone. I wonder if I logged in to D2 right now how much of it I would recognize?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, February 27, 2022, 14:52 (789 days ago) @ stabbim
edited by Morpheus, Sunday, February 27, 2022, 14:55

Given your recent history the title scared me a little. Glad it was just a metaphor.

Well, of course I wouldn't do that intentionally—I would've posted it in Members Only or Off Topic, some place like that. Nope, I'm okay so far.

That's awesome man. I dunno what you started at but it must have been a significant drop to make a difference on snoring. I also got healthier in the last couple of years, I know how much better you must feel.

I was at around 300 pounds when I was first admitted for the surgery. So it did help a lot! They say I need to be at around 225 or so in order to be on the list for a transplant, so I'm working on that.

I wonder if I logged in to D2 right now how much of it I would recognize?

Dude, you have no idea, and I'm not just saying that because a full expansion just dropped either. You would recognize practically none of it.

• IO's gone.
  • Titan's gone.
  • Mercury's gone.
  • The Tangled Shore(obviously) is gone.
  • Mars is gone.(Technically it is back, but not the stuff from last time.)
  • The Cosmodrome from D1 has been remixed into D2(and we're talking Vanilla Cosmodrome from like...ALPHA days.)
  • The Vault of Glass from D1 has been remixed into D2(and is more complicated than ever)
  • Nightfall has a new difficulty system, literally—there are five new difficulties. Adept, Heroic, Legendary, Master and Grandmaster—which makes original D1 Nightfall feel like literal baby formula.
  • For the first time in its eight year history, the Trials of Osiris has matchmaking.
  • Three new raids(if you include the VoG Remix)
  • And the story...???

Well good lord, I'd be here all night.

Point is, I've been playing non-stop until about 2 months ago, and I don't recognize it.

Edit: Oh, and they STILL haven't found a replacement for Cayde.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 28, 2022, 07:26 (788 days ago) @ Morpheus

Well, of course I wouldn't do that intentionally—I would've posted it in Members Only or Off Topic, some place like that. Nope, I'm okay so far.

Ah, good point. I should probably pay more attention to the category than I do. Glad to hear it anyway.

I was at around 300 pounds when I was first admitted for the surgery. So it did help a lot! They say I need to be at around 225 or so in order to be on the list for a transplant, so I'm working on that.

Good for you! The best part is you're already most of the way there, so you know that what you're doing works.

Dude, you have no idea, and I'm not just saying that because a full expansion just dropped either. You would recognize practically none of it.

• IO's gone.
  • Titan's gone.
  • Mercury's gone.
  • The Tangled Shore(obviously) is gone.
  • Mars is gone.(Technically it is back, but not the stuff from last time.)
  • The Cosmodrome from D1 has been remixed into D2(and we're talking Vanilla Cosmodrome from like...ALPHA days.)
  • The Vault of Glass from D1 has been remixed into D2(and is more complicated than ever)
  • Nightfall has a new difficulty system, literally—there are five new difficulties. Adept, Heroic, Legendary, Master and Grandmaster—which makes original D1 Nightfall feel like literal baby formula.
  • For the first time in its eight year history, the Trials of Osiris has matchmaking.
  • Three new raids(if you include the VoG Remix)
  • And the story...???

Well good lord, I'd be here all night.

Point is, I've been playing non-stop until about 2 months ago, and I don't recognize it.

Edit: Oh, and they STILL haven't found a replacement for Cayde.

Holy crap, I feel like that's most of the game that I remember? I heard about it when Titan went away, but a lot of the others I didn't. Maybe that was one of the first so it got more coverage?

The Nightfall thing feels so weird. It used to BE a difficulty level in and of itself. Not really sure what the word means now.

TBH I didn't even know that Trials wasn't matchmade before. Never touched it.

I DID know about Vault of Glass, that almost made me want to pick up the game again. Would have been interesting to see how much old muscle memory helped vs. got me killed.

Re: Cayde, are they literally looking for another Hunter Vanguard in the story, or when we talk about replacing him do we just mean a comic relief character?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, February 28, 2022, 14:33 (788 days ago) @ stabbim

The Nightfall thing feels so weird. It used to BE a difficulty level in and of itself. Not really sure what the word means now.

If nothing else, it makes it more accessible, which isn't really a bad thing. I'll give you a quick/basic rundown: The Nightfall modifier from D1(where wiping boots you to orbit) only shows up in Grandmaster difficulty now. Renamed as Extinguish, the Nightfalls now employ a shared lives system where the three(hopefully) of you have seven lives between you. Once those seven are up, anyone who dies stays dead. The only way to get lives back is to kill "new" types of enemies called Champions. The enemies are still the same, but they have new behaviors added on to make things more challenging. Champions appear semi-frequently and require special weapons to defeat. You used to have to apply those champion-breaking mods to the weapon you were carrying, but at some point Bungie changed it to apply to your arms/gauntlets, so that they automatically apply to every weapon of that type. Also, to keep strategies different, the weapon types change each season. There are three types of Champs: Barrier Champions sprout up an indestructible shield when heavily wounded. And unless someone with a Barrier-piercing weapon shoots it, their health will completely regenerate(and quickly). Overload Champions are the ones that teleport. And they teleport absolutely non-stop, like several times a second. Whenever they start teleporting, their health(almost instantly) regenerates. Unless someone uses a disrupting weapon to stun them. Unstoppable Champions are just that—they see you, they charge and shoot at the same time and they do not relent until you're dead, then they move on to the next. That requires an Unstoppable Shot to...well, stop the unstoppable. So everyone loses a life for dying, and everyone gets one back for killing a champion. It's a lot.

Re: Cayde, are they literally looking for another Hunter Vanguard in the story, or when we talk about replacing him do we just mean a comic relief character?

Honestly, both! Since Forsaken all the humor has fallen on Nolandroid here. Yeah, barrel of laughs.

But for me, I prefer the Vanguard angle. The Hunters need a leader. It's downright depressing for their hero to die off and then NO ONE replace him. I opened a New Light one day, and Ghost said something about 'no one wanting to take his place'. That's crap, and an insult to Hunter mains everywhere! There's a new character/vendor for the Cosmodrome Remix—his name is Shaw Han. He lost his fireteam, but he helped the (new) Guardian get revenge. He could be a good candidate. Or, bright idea—what about Shiro-4 from Rise of Iron? He's not doing anything right now!

I mean, somebody...

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, March 01, 2022, 11:43 (787 days ago) @ Morpheus

But for me, I prefer the Vanguard angle. The Hunters need a leader. It's downright depressing for their hero to die off and then NO ONE replace him. I opened a New Light one day, and Ghost said something about 'no one wanting to take his place'. That's crap, and an insult to Hunter mains everywhere!

It's long running in the Lore that it is VERY difficult to get a hunter Vanguard and most of the hunter Vanguards have considered it a curse since they would rather be out in the field. IIRC Cayde-6 had to be tricked into it.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread