Bungie, please give us films! (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 22, 2013, 07:58 (3811 days ago)

What worries me reading about the twitch and upload and share functionality that's being offered in the next generation of consoles is how these features might discourage the development or inclusion of film features such as what Bungie has already provided in past games.

I don't have any interest in telling my console to record something while I'm in the middle of a game. I dig immersion. This breaks it big time.

There would have to be more limitations, since these features are obviously actual video clips of gameplay, which take up much more memory than a recording of inputs and settings (to be rendered in-engine when played), which is what Bungie has done heretofore.

Being able to detach a camera, and slow, speed up, or reverse time has been a godsend to so many fans for countless reasons. The creativity and enjoyment Bungie's film features have facilitated can't be easily measured.

Please, please, please let us have it.

Kermit

Bungie, please give us films!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, November 22, 2013, 08:10 (3811 days ago) @ Kermit

Last week's gameplay trailer had that same distinct "fan made" quality to it that we first saw back at E3 for Halo 3 when Theatre was introduced to us. From Halo 3 to Reach, no experiences were taken from us. Each game was built upon the previous one as it became an expected and standard feature.

I have a feeling that they're not going to pull a Halo 4 and sideline a great chunk of a group who loves to share through storytelling rather than with a downloaded map. Probably just me being too much of a loyal fangirl. :P

by Hyokin, New York, Friday, November 22, 2013, 08:26 (3811 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Last week's gameplay trailer had that same distinct "fan made" quality to it that we first saw back at E3 for Halo 3 when Theatre was introduced to us. From Halo 3 to Reach, no experiences were taken from us. Each game was built upon the previous one as it became an expected and standard feature.

I have a feeling that they're not going to pull a Halo 4 and sideline a great chunk of a group who loves to share through storytelling rather than with a downloaded map. Probably just me being too much of a loyal fangirl. :P

I really hope that is true.

I like that there is a built-in record feature for the next Gen, but I would so much rather have Theater Mode.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, November 22, 2013, 08:49 (3810 days ago) @ Hyokin

I like that there is a built-in record feature for the next Gen, but I would so much rather have Theater Mode.

Totally! It's easy and accessible for all, especially when developers either don't care or don't have the time and resources to build a native recording feature. With that in mind, however, I really enjoy how Bungie's theatre mode caters to artists and gameplay recorders alike with free roaming and first/third person viewpoints.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, November 22, 2013, 09:26 (3810 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Totally! It's easy and accessible for all, especially when developers either don't care or don't have the time and resources to build a native recording feature. With that in mind, however, I really enjoy how Bungie's theatre mode caters to artists and gameplay recorders alike with free roaming and first/third person viewpoints.

Theater mode was essential to A Fistful of Arrows' quality. The McFarlane figures helped a lot as well, but Theater Mode added a whole new dimension to the references. I'd sit and take hundreds of screenshots from almost every level, zooming in and around the different characters to try and capture the details and postures.

That's why I couldn't do a Halo 4 comic even if I wanted to. I don't know how I'd be able to reach that caliber of references.

So I'm all for Theater mode. I could probably live without it, but if it wasn't in Destiny 1 since it's a radically different venture, I'd hope it could be included in a future installment once Bungie felt secure in this new universe's foundation.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 22, 2013, 09:44 (3810 days ago) @ Leviathan

Theater mode was essential to A Fistful of Arrows' quality. The McFarlane figures helped a lot as well, but Theater Mode added a whole new dimension to the references. I'd sit and take hundreds of screenshots from almost every level, zooming in and around the different characters to try and capture the details and postures.

That's why I couldn't do a Halo 4 comic even if I wanted to. I don't know how I'd be able to reach that caliber of references.

So I'm all for Theater mode. I could probably live without it, but if it wasn't in Destiny 1 since it's a radically different venture, I'd hope it could be included in a future installment once Bungie felt secure in this new universe's foundation.

Imagine if, like me, you didn't draw your comic!

Theater mode is definitely my favorite bell and whistle.

Bungie, please give us Theatre!

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, November 22, 2013, 08:51 (3810 days ago) @ Kermit

hear hear!

I second this

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, November 22, 2013, 09:50 (3810 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Roll

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 22, 2013, 10:37 (3810 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

It would be nice if the camera could roll as well as pitch and yaw.

setting camera target would be nice.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, November 22, 2013, 10:45 (3810 days ago) @ Cody Miller

like look at rock but I can move at will.

Random object focus (instead of only players)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 22, 2013, 10:59 (3810 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Brilliant, Paddy! Brilliant I tell you!

Imagine the breadth of application.
OMG, multiplayer!

Imagine the famous cone splatter kill, FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE CONE!

CONE SMASH!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, November 22, 2013, 11:59 (3810 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

If only it was that easy...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, November 22, 2013, 10:52 (3810 days ago) @ Kermit

What worries me reading about the twitch and upload and share functionality that's being offered in the next generation of consoles is how these features might discourage the development or inclusion of film features such as what Bungie has already provided in past games.

I don't have any interest in telling my console to record something while I'm in the middle of a game. I dig immersion. This breaks it big time.

There would have to be more limitations, since these features are obviously actual video clips of gameplay, which take up much more memory than a recording of inputs and settings (to be rendered in-engine when played), which is what Bungie has done heretofore.

Being able to detach a camera, and slow, speed up, or reverse time has been a godsend to so many fans for countless reasons. The creativity and enjoyment Bungie's film features have facilitated can't be easily measured.

Please, please, please let us have it.

Kermit

Don't get me wrong - if we got our selves a full theater mode for Destiny. Amazing. It's probably doable for the exclusively competitive multiplayer - as far as we know.

...but for the single-player/multiplayer hybrid? If you don't get your hopes up - you won't be disappointed.

The Ghost sees all...

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, November 22, 2013, 11:58 (3810 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Just saying it has fictional explanation possibly.

If only it was that easy...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 22, 2013, 14:04 (3810 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Don't get me wrong - if we got our selves a full theater mode for Destiny. Amazing. It's probably doable for the exclusively competitive multiplayer - as far as we know.

...but for the single-player/multiplayer hybrid? If you don't get your hopes up - you won't be disappointed.

Too late. My hopes are already up. They won't come down. I can't tell you how much the lack of theater in the Halo 4 campaign hurt. Cost the game at least a full letter grade IMHO.

I love the art and the world-building. Campaign Theater mode let me savor all of it.

That's depressing

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, November 22, 2013, 17:51 (3810 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

If you don't get your hopes up - you won't be disappointed.

You will also be hopeless.

Touché noir tigre! And yet...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, November 22, 2013, 18:05 (3810 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

If you don't get your hopes up - you won't be disappointed.

You will also be hopeless.

One does not put all hopes on one thing, those eggs and baskets - one, lest they be a fool. I see no fools here. :)
In the end, We'll Always Have Paris.

Here, here!

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, November 22, 2013, 12:41 (3810 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread