PS3 exclusive recommendations (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, November 24, 2013, 10:34 (3813 days ago)

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to order the PS3 bundle (with The Last of Us and Arkham Origins) on Thanksgiving.

I might sell Arkham to offset the cost for now and get it cheap later (for the 360, probably)

I've got a few other games in mind--Journey and the Quantic Dream games.

If you had to pick two I've not mentioned that are exclusive the PS3, what would they be and why? Avoid spoilers of course. :)

PS3 exclusive recommendations

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 24, 2013, 11:43 (3813 days ago) @ Kermit

If you had to pick two I've not mentioned that are exclusive the PS3, what would they be and why? Avoid spoilers of course. :)

Demon's Souls / Dark Souls
(Challenging and immersive)

Uncharted
(Adventure in the spirit on Indiana Jones that's decently fun)

Alternatively, even though it's not an exclusive Metal Gear Solid Rising: Revengence is a sick game that plays better on PS3.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, November 24, 2013, 15:35 (3813 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Uncharted
(Adventure in the spirit on Indiana Jones that's decently fun)

I'd recommend Uncharted 2 first. Probably my favorite of the three, and you can probably find it on pretty good discount.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, November 24, 2013, 12:09 (3813 days ago) @ Kermit

A few of my favorites on PS3 with my best recommendations bolded. :)

Heavy Rain
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Killzone 3
Kingdom Hearts 1.5
Kingdom Hearts 2.5
LittleBigPlanet
Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Valkyria Chronicles

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Sunday, November 24, 2013, 13:12 (3813 days ago) @ Grizzlei

A few of my favorites on PS3 with my best recommendations bolded. :)

Heavy Rain
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Killzone 3
Kingdom Hearts 1.5
Kingdom Hearts 2.5
LittleBigPlanet
Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Valkyria Chronicles

This is the precise market I find myself in. TLoU PS3 bundle looks to be the best bet. Journey, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, and Odin Sphere(PS2) are all on my to-play list. I've head good things about Kingdom Hearts.

~m

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, November 24, 2013, 13:49 (3813 days ago) @ Malagate

This is the precise market I find myself in. TLoU PS3 bundle looks to be the best bet. Journey, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, and Odin Sphere(PS2) are all on my to-play list. I've head good things about Kingdom Hearts.

~m

Especially if you're not that interested in Arkham (I'm less interested in this one than previous ones) and can sell it for $40 (maybe) it's that much cheaper. And most games I want to play are pretty cheap. Plus early Destiny fun time.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, November 25, 2013, 06:47 (3812 days ago) @ Kermit

I will retort that this may be the best written batman of the arkham series thus far. It really is magnificent. and it's hella fun.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 25, 2013, 07:59 (3812 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I will retort that this may be the best written batman of the arkham series thus far. It really is magnificent. and it's hella fun.

Really? I'd read some reviews that said it didn't measure up and they may have broken some things.

It's not that I don't have an interest in the game, but I have different interests and less time. It won't kill me not to play it right away. (The first PS3 game I'm playing is Journey and then The Last of Us.) The Arkham game goes in the queue, and I may opt to capitalize on its current market value. Regardless of whether I keep it, I win.

I did not mean to offend your real and genuine Batman love. I really liked Arkham city, but I've still got lots of side quests left to do in that.

Just ask Hedge

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, November 25, 2013, 11:11 (3812 days ago) @ Kermit

The reviews are bunk, that is a true Arkham game and written expertly for batman fans.

It plays like arkham city with some nice additions, if you liked arkham city it plays like it, which I don't consider bad or overdone.

They really ripped it over in reviews and I don't really see the complaints.

Also I beat Batman last night

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 06:39 (3811 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

So, this game is so fantastic. It has everything a batman fan wants. It's possibly my favorite now.

Even restarting it in new game plus, the subtle nods and foreshadowing is excellent.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 08:05 (3811 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

But maybe I want it on the 360 so I can play it with you?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 08:21 (3811 days ago) @ Kermit

Very much get your hands on that game, I don't care how. It is wonderful.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, December 04, 2013, 10:16 (3803 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Very much get your hands on that game, I don't care how. It is wonderful.

Having had what I consider a significant enough amount of time with the game and having progressed enough through the story, I will absolutely second this. The story, the amount of content, the size of the game itself, all of them are wonderful. I may have some gripes with the combat system sometimes (probably my own fault :P) but overall I think this is a great game and an excellent addition to the Arkham series.

What kills me though...

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, December 04, 2013, 10:47 (3803 days ago) @ Mr Daax

...was it was taken to the slaughter in the reviews. Friends I told about it seemed vexed it was good due to hearing purely bad things in the ether. I probably enjoy this one more than Arkham City, and I loved Arkham City.

What kills me though...

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, December 04, 2013, 10:59 (3803 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

...was it was taken to the slaughter in the reviews. Friends I told about it seemed vexed it was good due to hearing purely bad things in the ether. I probably enjoy this one more than Arkham City, and I loved Arkham City.

Right there with ya bud. I was hesitant about picking this up initially because of reviews. I am very glad I got it.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 18:01 (3811 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

But is there an achievement that takes a year to complete?

That's the real question.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 05:52 (3811 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

But is there an achievement that takes a year to complete?

That's the real question.

I may have cheated that one when I played Arkham City...

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Friday, November 29, 2013, 13:30 (3808 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Heh, I tried to do it legit for like the first 8 months. But then I missed a holiday and was like "screw it". I wonder if anybody got it the "proper" way?

BTW, it's official.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 29, 2013, 13:41 (3808 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Bundle ordered. I'll post again when I get it connected.

That knife takedown move...

by scarab @, Sunday, December 01, 2013, 15:46 (3806 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I pull back on the left stick and hold (Y) and one time in twenty it works.

Does this happen to you guys as well?

Am I doing it wrong? How do you guys do it?

I've given up on it and just jump over and hit from behind.

All the other moves work as advertised - it's just that one that doesn't work for me.

Help. :-)

The consensus on google is

by scarab @, Sunday, December 01, 2013, 16:01 (3806 days ago) @ scarab

to always hold back - hold (Y) until swipe is made then release and rehold - repeat until X swipes are made and takedown will trigger.

Will try it tomorrow.

Sorry for posting here first - it was just something that occurred to me when I saw the batman post.

Of course if the consensus on google is wrong then please let me know or I will be stuck trying a failed move for ages.

???

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, December 01, 2013, 17:26 (3806 days ago) @ scarab

- No text -

watch a mean ??? google batman knife takedown

by scarab @, Sunday, December 01, 2013, 21:57 (3806 days ago) @ ZackDark

The results you get differ depending on where you are in the world but my first hit describes the problem perfectly.

"I can't seem to do it right, if I press Y too fast, it fails, I mash too slow, it fails, I time it, it fails. It's gotten to the point where I just jump over them ..."

Looks like I'm not the only one frustrated by it.

Ah, got it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, December 02, 2013, 02:26 (3806 days ago) @ scarab

It was very, very 'out of the blue' of you. =p

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, December 02, 2013, 08:23 (3805 days ago) @ scarab

I've had the same issue, but so far it hasn't bothered me too much. I just figured I still have to work out the timing and pay more attention to what's going on.

by scarab @, Monday, December 02, 2013, 16:31 (3805 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I had it work once today. I left a knife man to the last and practiced on him. In the end I got bored and jumped over him and pummeled him until he dropped. It's just the most annoying move ever.

My other rant is that most roof tops have machine gunners on them and that really gets in the way of rapid travel. You set a waypoint - head off in that direction and run into a nest of machine gunners or occasional snipers - grrr... You have to use bat vision to scan for them or just run past and hope they don't get too many hits. The later parts of all the batman games suffer from this. I want to travel quickly to complete a specific objective; I don't want to clear each rooftop on my way from A to B.

How do you stop batman leaping straight onto a roof when he (batclaws? bat grapples?) from below? You used to be able to hang on and ledge takedown. Now you spring onto the roof in plain view of three guys with guns. Ta Dah! (oh shit) :-) Is the problem down to having small stone walls around most roofs? Will he automatically mount them because they are walls?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, December 02, 2013, 17:07 (3805 days ago) @ scarab

I wonder how different it is from AA or AC. Knife takedown then didn't seem as hard and random as you're describing.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, December 03, 2013, 08:16 (3804 days ago) @ scarab

Keep holding the Grapnel button (I assume RB) to keep from leaping up. You can ledge takedown most of the thugs and use your fist for the rest.

by scarab @, Tuesday, December 03, 2013, 10:33 (3804 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I've stopped play for today to interact with meat world NPCs but will try this tomorrow.

Once again I will be the scourge of Gotham. (Cool - Chrome knows how to spell Gotham)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, December 03, 2013, 12:46 (3804 days ago) @ scarab

(Cool - Chrome knows how to spell Gotham)

It's been a nickname for NYC since the early 1800s, you know.

Goes back longer than that

by scarab @, Tuesday, December 03, 2013, 15:40 (3804 days ago) @ Kermit

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, November 24, 2013, 16:16 (3813 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus was going to be me primary recommendation so I'll second that. They were rereleased in an "HD collection" together and are absolutely worth picking up.

The whole God of War series (at least, up through GoW 3 - I haven't played Ascension yet) is outstanding, though I'm not sure if it's your style? Kratos is, I think, a great antihero - I shouldn't like him, but I do anyway.

Those are really the only PS3 exclusives I've played.

by GrizzNKev, Down the street from Microsoft, Sunday, November 24, 2013, 14:44 (3813 days ago) @ Kermit

The Atelier games.
Hyperdimension Neptunia.
Way of the Samurai.

jk

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread