Ghosts of the Deep Encounter 2: D&D style (Destiny)

by Robot Chickens, Monday, June 12, 2023, 19:14 (324 days ago)

I made my own map of the underwater section of the second encounter. Then I decided I wanted to try my hand at the upper section. Then I gave a D&D style so I could use it in those types of games. Not sure if anyone else will find it useful, but I had fun.

[image]

[image]

You're a talented young man

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 12, 2023, 19:28 (324 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

very cool.

You're a talented young man

by Robot Chickens, Monday, June 12, 2023, 23:08 (324 days ago) @ Kermit

Thanks!

Young is pushing it these days….

These are gorgeous. Thanks.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 13, 2023, 08:03 (324 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

Ghosts of the Deep Encounter 2: D&D style

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, June 13, 2023, 08:41 (324 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

These are awesome! Are you willing to share how you made them?

Overview of Process

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, June 13, 2023, 13:19 (323 days ago) @ ManKitten
edited by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, June 13, 2023, 13:36

These are awesome! Are you willing to share how you made them?

Sure. I am notorious for using the wrong tool for a job.

In this case, I use a vector program (Inkscape), for a raster job, but that's more to do with my familiarity with the software. One thing Inkscape does really well is allowing you to create your own filters. I've created a ton of them to add textures, shadows etc to basic shapes or masks. That's how I created the cave walls, the floor patterns, etc.

[image]

I have collected a number of assets for the purpose of creating DnD maps over the years. The majority of them were collected from a now-defunct forum for a software engine. The assets were created by heroic artists who explicitly made their use free for any use, private or commercial (Dundjinni). Warning, the domain has been taken over by a malware-spewing entity. Items in this scene that I did not create:

• Columns (although I enhanced them)
  • Broken Columns
  • Statues of Knights (they were the most Hive-looking statues I had)
  • Broken floor to water - I thought about making my own versions, but this was easier
  • Some of the vegetation on the cave floor

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

I created a number of assets when no others were suitable. The 2 basins and the carpet were created to look hive-ish. They're far from perfect, but they work at the scale I use them.

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

It all results in a Frankenstein's Monster of overlays, assets and other things in a program that was not designed for this use.

Overview of Process

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, June 13, 2023, 14:54 (323 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I love it. Good work, and it's always cool to see the process. Thank you.

Definitive Callout Names

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, June 13, 2023, 16:25 (323 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Just in case you need to coordinate callouts, this is what I see.

[image]

Definitive Callout Names

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 13, 2023, 21:26 (323 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

At least you got ice cream cone correct. ;-)

Third Eye Hogan!!

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, June 14, 2023, 05:58 (323 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread