Halo Season 2, Ep 1 (Fan Creations)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 08, 2024, 20:59 (15 days ago)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this season is going to be more well received by the internet than the first. It's serious. The production values seem to have been upped. How will it play out?

Minor issues with the conflict. Remember how we find out about the flood in Halo CE? Helmets have cameras that record everything. So the MC should likewise have one right? So… does he not? Could Ackerson not have looked at that to see the Chief was not making up the fact that Elites were there? Even if there wasn't… why would he doubt the report? The conflict feels a bit manufactured.

Anyway, it's off to a better start than season 1. The elites still look fake though.

Is it canon, tho? *NM*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, February 09, 2024, 03:01 (15 days ago) @ Cody Miller

;p

Is it canon, tho? *NM*

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 09, 2024, 07:32 (15 days ago) @ ZackDark

Sure, why not!

Dunno why they did this "Silver Timeline" junk. Just own it!

Halo Season 2, Ep 1

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, February 09, 2024, 16:56 (14 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this season is going to be more well received by the internet than the first. It's serious. The production values seem to have been upped. How will it play out?

Minor issues with the conflict. Remember how we find out about the flood in Halo CE? Helmets have cameras that record everything. So the MC should likewise have one right? So… does he not? Could Ackerson not have looked at that to see the Chief was not making up the fact that Elites were there? Even if there wasn't… why would he doubt the report? The conflict feels a bit manufactured.

Anyway, it's off to a better start than season 1. The elites still look fake though.

Agreed. Lazy excuse for conflict is lazy. That said, I found myself enjoying some of the more reflective moments in Ep. 2 with Rizz and Perez.

Halo Season 2, Ep 2

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 12, 2024, 22:38 (11 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I liked Episode 2 a lot. Never thought I'd see the Master Chief at a dinner party being asked what his K/D is in Spartan Attack, but it worked. We see that the people who fight have families, unlike the Spartans who had nobody but Halsey. A family they left willingly, rather than John being taken as a child. Something he'll never know.

This is the kind of thing the games don't really do - they don't let you reflect on the toll of military life, both physical and psychological. The difference between the face you put on for the public and for yourself. The pressures of not showing weakness. The rivalry.

I swear if someone says they hated this because the MC was 'emotional' I am going to just be silently disappointed and judge them hard.

Halo Season 2, Ep 2

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 12:25 (11 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I liked Episode 2 a lot. Never thought I'd see the Master Chief at a dinner party being asked what his K/D is in Spartan Attack, but it worked. We see that the people who fight have families, unlike the Spartans who had nobody but Halsey. A family they left willingly, rather than John being taken as a child. Something he'll never know.

This is the kind of thing the games don't really do - they don't let you reflect on the toll of military life, both physical and psychological. The difference between the face you put on for the public and for yourself. The pressures of not showing weakness. The rivalry.

I swear if someone says they hated this because the MC was 'emotional' I am going to just be silently disappointed and judge them hard.

I'll watch it this weekend. I'm looking forward to it. I'm up for humanity shown. I think some of the best parts of Halo were the reactions of the grunts (both human and grunty grunts), which really grounded the games in a way that felt authentic (even if they were, at times, channeling Aliens). There's lots of reasons I love Reach. You can say it failed at what it was trying to do, but I think it was, more so than other Halo games, trying to show the toll of the war on civilians and non-civilians alike.

Halo Season 2, Ep 2

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 06:06 (10 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I read your post before seeing the episode and I guess was expecting something different out of it. Are we to surmise that "Spartan Attack" is a video game? The guy asking had no idea John was a Spartan until after he asked that. And so far the only emotion I've seen from John is that of frustration. And whatever that weird AI therapy session was.

For my money, the main thing 343 has nailed in their games, plot wise, was MC struggling with his identity and (lack of) humanity. The opening scene of episode 1 with the shaman lady talking to him landed. And in episode 2 with Ackerson confirming he "needed Master Chief but at the end of day, he was just a guy in a suit." thus driving home that John as a person was irrelevant.

Halo Season 2, Ep 1

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 05:59 (11 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Comms were down. Couldn't upload to The Cloud.

Also, does he not have motion radar like in the game?

Halo Season 2, Ep 3

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 16, 2024, 20:14 (7 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I know people want action. But for all of us who already know the Covenant come to Reach and glass it, the show's current approach is the only way to make us care. Rather than the nameless citizens of New Alexandrea from the game, we've got something to think about. Something to have on the line. Who will be sacrificed and who will make it out? The decision to make ONI aware of the Covenant on Reach before the invasion is a smart, if not dark, choice.

Love Ackerson's development. Really gives his character more of a depth and understanding. Top tier 'villain' already in the Halo universe.

The fuses have been lit, and I suspect we'll see an explosion next episode.

Halo Season 2, Ep 3

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, February 19, 2024, 06:07 (5 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I know people want action. But for all of us who already know the Covenant come to Reach and glass it, the show's current approach is the only way to make us care. Rather than the nameless citizens of New Alexandrea from the game, we've got something to think about. Something to have on the line. Who will be sacrificed and who will make it out? The decision to make ONI aware of the Covenant on Reach before the invasion is a smart, if not dark, choice.

Love Ackerson's development. Really gives his character more of a depth and understanding. Top tier 'villain' already in the Halo universe.

The fuses have been lit, and I suspect we'll see an explosion next episode.

Well, since this episode ended with an explosion, I bet you're right. I like Ackerson if only because he lets us develop a bit of sympathy for Halsey. While she doesn't have "evil" inside her, her lack of empathy and pure drive towards her work no matter the cost doesn't really make her a likable character. Even Kai said "Never thought we would miss Halsey"

I'll be glad to see Johns redemption next episode after everyone has been gaslighting him.

I'm really let down by the lack of nude butts this season.

Halo Season 2, Ep 3

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 19, 2024, 07:10 (5 days ago) @ ManKitten

I'm really let down by the lack of nude butts this season.

Sadly I fear this was an over correction because the internet idiots hated that. It is indeed a negative for this season.

Oh wow, S02 is coming in hot

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, February 21, 2024, 13:46 (3 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Really enjoying it all so far, no notes.

(Embracing how it isnotcanon.net is very important in these parts, though)

Oh wow, S02 is coming in hot

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 22, 2024, 13:05 (1 day, 16 hours, 38 min. ago) @ ZackDark

(Embracing how it isnotcanon.net is very important in these parts, though)

No Noble Team on Reach this time! :-p

Halo Season 2, Ep 4

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 22, 2024, 20:29 (1 day, 9 hours, 14 min. ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, February 22, 2024, 20:35

Spoilers

For real, spoilers

BIG SPOILERS LAST WARNING

RIP Keyes. RIP Vannek :-(

Halo Season 2, Ep 4

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Friday, February 23, 2024, 10:31 (19 hours, 12 minutes ago) @ Cody Miller

Really liking season 2, for the most part, and episode 4 was the best so far.

My biggest gripes are still the silver timeline interpretation of Spartans, and the character of Master Chief.

Spartans were something else entirely in the original canon, and turning them all into Captain Americas has taken something unique and interesting out of the universe.

And Chief is just... a totally different human being than the one I've known for 20 years. Chief from blue timeline isn't angry, paranoid, and regularly insubordinate. And while he definitely has a reserved snark... it's never used in the disrespectful way this guy gives people attitude. It's just not the same character, and I don't get why they're going this direction with his writing. Chief needs to be a sympathetic character by the time we reach Alpha Halo and wander around with him down empty Forerunner corridors, and I just don't see them making this character likable by then.

But I honestly think everything else is working for me. The world and presentation feel right in this season.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread