Destiny launches 9/9/14 (Destiny)

by Avateur @, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:18 (3786 days ago)

Exciting!

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:23 (3786 days ago) @ Avateur

This also gives me some good time to get onto the next gen. Very good.

Beta Launches Summer

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:25 (3786 days ago) @ Avateur

This makes me a little sad. But for quality reasons I can accept it.

That's too far.

by GrizzNKev, Down the street from Microsoft, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:27 (3786 days ago) @ Avateur

I guess I should forget about this game for a while.

So who won Xenos's game?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:28 (3786 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

I did by posting this before he had the chance to *NM*

by Avateur @, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:30 (3786 days ago) @ ZackDark

Lawl, just playing Xenos! No idea how he always posts Destiny news before everyone always ever. :P

I did by posting this before he had the chance to *NM*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, December 06, 2013, 18:23 (3786 days ago) @ Avateur

Lawl, just playing Xenos! No idea how he always posts Destiny news before everyone always ever. :P

I'm connected directly into the Bungie-Matrix.

Looks like marmot1333.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:32 (3786 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Right on the Money! Nice!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:37 (3786 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Looks like marmot1333.

by roland ⌂ @, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:50 (3786 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Bah! I was so close!

WHOA

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:51 (3786 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I can't believe it. I'm in shock!

Congrats marmot 1333!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, December 06, 2013, 18:01 (3786 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

Congrats!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, December 06, 2013, 18:09 (3786 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

WHOA

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 06, 2013, 21:38 (3785 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I can't believe it. I'm in shock!

Gonna choose xbox one or PS4?

WHOA

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, December 06, 2013, 21:43 (3785 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm leaning PS4.. but I guess I have a few months to decide.

WHOA

by DeeJ ⌂, Bungie, Monday, December 09, 2013, 16:36 (3783 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Beta code sent via email. Congratulations on your accurate prediction!

I smell shenanigans!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 05:51 (3782 days ago) @ DeeJ

He probably convinced Bungie to set it that day!

;p

I smell shenanigans!

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 08:47 (3782 days ago) @ ZackDark

If I had that kind of power, I would settle with them mailing me the latest build of Destiny instead :)

(Or Music of the Spheres)

The important result.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, December 06, 2013, 17:11 (3786 days ago) @ Claude Errera

[image]

I'm going to call this a victory.

The important result.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 06, 2013, 21:37 (3785 days ago) @ uberfoop

[image]

I'm going to call this a victory.

Shouldn't you be happy for his win rather than my loss? And they say I'm the negative one around here.

The important result.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, December 06, 2013, 22:02 (3785 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Shouldn't you be happy for his win rather than my loss? And they say I'm the negative one around here.

Heh, I'm not sure I see the contradiction; you're the one acting negatively toward my exceptionally positive victory celebration!

Yeah!? I mean I know I didn't. But I've lost the link

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:32 (3786 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Here.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:34 (3786 days ago) @ breitzen

Here.

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:36 (3786 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Here.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:45 (3786 days ago) @ Schooly D

I was only 10 days off? I'm proud of myself. Congrats M!

by Atsumi ⌂, Jefferson City, MO, Saturday, December 07, 2013, 07:21 (3785 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Destiny launches 9/9/14

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:30 (3786 days ago) @ Avateur

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=18110

1. If Destiny has a stellar launch and CoD: Ghosts continues to underperform (current figures are not looking good), could we see a switch such that Destiny gets the coveted Fall release slot and CoD shifts to Spring?

Is it happening?

I think we all know what shirt you need to buy, and it isn't in the Bungie store. Yet.

Destiny launches 9/9/14

by GrizzNKev, Down the street from Microsoft, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:31 (3786 days ago) @ Schooly D

You know, I think that's for the better. Destiny gets more time to cook and get that perfect polish, and CoD takes a little break to be a little less crap.

I like it!

I'm so excited!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:40 (3786 days ago) @ Avateur

It's one of those things where I'm a little sad because it's not spring... But really. I can't let that get me down. I mean we have a freaking release date! I can mark it on my calendar and go into hibernation now! (Or at least until Titanfall comes out)

Here's what I'm taking away from this:

by GrizzNKev, Down the street from Microsoft, Friday, December 06, 2013, 16:47 (3786 days ago) @ Avateur

- Summer game drought (I don't want Titanfall)
- Game AND Beta delayed

+ Game will be better at launch
+ More of my friends will have a PS4 by then
+ Far away from all other major releases to maximize sales

Looks like Destiny will be that end of Summer oasis now.

by Flynn J Taggart, Friday, December 06, 2013, 17:24 (3786 days ago) @ GrizzNKev

- Summer game drought (I don't want Titanfall)
- Game AND Beta delayed

+ Game will be better at launch
+ More of my friends will have a PS4 by then
+ Far away from all other major releases to maximize sales

Looks like Destiny will be that end of Summer oasis now.

Seems kinda crazy to me to be launching a game for PS3/360 in mid-September 2014, but you gotta do what you gotta do to finish it, I suppose.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, December 06, 2013, 17:30 (3786 days ago) @ Flynn J Taggart

Seems kinda crazy to me to be launching a game for PS3/360 in mid-September 2014, but you gotta do what you gotta do to finish it, I suppose.

Even the PS2 seems to still get an occasional version of a multiplat game, and that console was superseded seven years ago.

The active PS360 install base is big.

Yay!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, December 06, 2013, 17:42 (3786 days ago) @ Avateur

More time to play other games before I have to give them all up.

Also, more time to delay next gen.

Destiny launches 9/9/14

by Egodude, Friday, December 06, 2013, 17:44 (3786 days ago) @ Avateur

Surprised that they have it launching then. It will be interesting to see when Activision decides to launch the new COD. I am kinda bummed it got pushed back but at least that gives me ample time with Titanfall.

I totally almost kicked everybody's ass

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, December 06, 2013, 22:10 (3785 days ago) @ Avateur

But most importantly, I'm proud of Bungie for landing a release date. Seems like a long time to polish this game as much as possible!

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, December 06, 2013, 22:17 (3785 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I'm proud of Bungie for landing a release date.

Heheh, thanks for the mental image of the opposite.

Near release state, Activision CANCELS Destiny!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, December 07, 2013, 05:17 (3785 days ago) @ uberfoop

Near release state, Activision CANCELS Destiny!

Totally blaming you, if it happens

=p

INT. KOTICK'S PALACE - THRONE ROOM

by ncsuDuncan @, Friday, December 06, 2013, 23:44 (3785 days ago) @ Avateur

"His High Exaltedness, the great Acti Vision, has decreed that you are to pre-order Destiny immediately."

Good, I hate long waits.

"You will therefore be taken to the Dune Seattle and cast into the pit of Coming-Soon™, the nesting place of the all-powerful SchedSlipp."

Doesn't sound so bad.

"In his belly, you will find a new definition of 'Spring' and 'Early 2014', as you slowly become invested over a thousand years."

On second thought...

But seriously.

by ncsuDuncan @, Friday, December 06, 2013, 23:55 (3785 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

The silver lining here is that it gives Microsoft more time to fix the broken mess of a party system the Xbox One is currently saddled with.

Also gives me more time to save up for a PS4. :)

PAX Prime 2014 is going to be insane. In a good way!

But seriously.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Saturday, December 07, 2013, 11:02 (3785 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

The silver lining here is that it gives Microsoft more time to fix the broken mess of a party system the Xbox One is currently saddled with.

Just in time for the first "Fall update" for the Xbox One firmware! Hopefully once again Bungie will be all like, "Oh--Xbox Live should be like <this> and do <this thing that it doesn't do>" and MSFT will be all, "Oh right--you guys are so much better at this whole network thing that we are"... Or at least, that's how the conversation went in my head around the post Halo 2 time..

HOHOHOHO

by tarehart, Seattle, Saturday, December 07, 2013, 12:34 (3785 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

NINE MONTHS!?

by RC ⌂, UK, Saturday, December 07, 2013, 12:14 (3785 days ago) @ Avateur

But that's... so far away :'(

NINE MONTHS!?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 07, 2013, 13:52 (3785 days ago) @ RC

But that's... so far away :'(

Nobody wants Destiny to be born premature.

Another 3+ months? Awww...

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Saturday, December 07, 2013, 13:55 (3785 days ago) @ Avateur

I was looking forward to some beta goodness sometime within the next three months, with Destiny to suck up pretty much my entire summer. Well, at least the beta is in the summer, and I will have plenty of games from the first six months of the year, including Driveclub, Infamous, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, and Watch Dogs, plus various older titles I still need to catch up on.

Oh, and 15 years to the day after the Dreamcast's launch!

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Saturday, December 07, 2013, 13:55 (3785 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

- No text -

US launch*

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Saturday, December 07, 2013, 15:12 (3785 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

- No text -

Thoughts

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Saturday, December 07, 2013, 15:53 (3785 days ago) @ Avateur
edited by Schooly D, Saturday, December 07, 2013, 15:56

The timing of the announcement is too close to the VGAs for it to be a coincidence, but I'm still trying to figure out why they would announce it on their own a day before, instead of revealing it at the VGAs during their presentation.

---

The 9.9.2014 date, while aesthetically pleasing, should not be treated as a firm deadline. "9.9.2014" should be more reasonably interpreted as "Fall-ish 2014" since Bungie still reserves the right to move the release date around as necessary. So you might ask "why even bother to give a specific date then?" It's a PR game. Consider this situation:

Bungie knows Destiny is not where it needs to be for a Q2 2014 release (or, more accurately, a Jan-Feb beta... more on that in a bit). The VGAs is a big platform for them to show off Destiny and prepare people for it. Part of preparing people for it is telling them when they can expect to buy it. If they stick with a "Q2 2014" date they know they can't deliver on, that's bad for reasons that should be obvious. If they close with "Fall 2014" instead, the only thing people take away from it is "oh, boy, it got delayed." There's very little upside to that kind of news. However, if instead of "Fall 2014" you say "Sept 9 2014," you've ameliorated things: people aren't upset because it's been delayed, people are happy there's a (as far as they know) solid date. Bungie can still change the release date if it needs to; doing so would present its own problems, but it's a risk they're willing to take.

Related: does anyone know when Bungie announced solid release dates for Halo 2, Halo 3, and Reach?

---

With the beta so close (originally slated for sometime around Jan-Feb 2014), you have to imagine Bungie has been pouring a lot of resources into getting it "beta-ready" as of late. With this in mind, it's possible and even likely that the impetus for the delay had as much to do with the beta not being ready as the full game.

---

Let's be honest: Bungie hasn't shown us much of Destiny, and what they have shown (hyperbolic praises from employees aside) hasn't really been impressive. You could totally be forgiven for thinking the Old Russia demo was a re-skinned Borderlands expansion. Compare this to something like Titanfall, whose debut gameplay trailer showed immediately why it's different and why you should be hype (jetpacks! wall running! pilotable mechs!) with no necessary indulgence in apologetics, speculation or having to take people at their word.

Considering this, a delay is definitely a good thing.

If Bungie were still on track for a Q2 release, the two most plausible reasons for the scarcity of gameplay footage/info at this point would be (1) what we've seen is what we're getting, a depressing proposition, or (2) the theory with the most buy-in from members of this board: if they showed stuff, we just wouldn't get it. Neither is particularly inspiring.

A delay like this is an admission on Bungie's part that, yes, the game isn't where it needs to be. They're not showing us stuff because they don't have stuff to show (at least stuff that's ready for public consumption anyway). I think that's a good thing.

---

I alluded to it earlier in this thread, but I think we might be seeing Destiny taking COD's coveted Fall release slot. If you assume that Activision has an interest in Destiny and COD not stepping on each other's toes, a Spring/Fall setup makes sense. Fall is obviously the prime spot, and would likely go to the game that is predicted to sell better. This would relegate the other title to Spring.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're seeing a switch here brought on by COD: Ghosts' poor sales, poor reviews, and poor outlook.

Another explanation is that COD will remain ACTV's Fall blockbuster, at least for 2014. Destiny's early September release date (not the usual time frame for a big holiday release) might just be a compromise between giving the game the time it needs and not stepping on COD's toes.

Destiny launches 9/9/14

by LostSpartan, Saturday, December 07, 2013, 19:54 (3785 days ago) @ Avateur

I'm happy with that date. Now I can hopefully plow through this backlog of games I have and then I can buy a ps4 and Destiny come September 9th without feeling too guilty :)

Destiny launches 9/9/14

by Hyokin, New York, Monday, December 09, 2013, 03:15 (3783 days ago) @ Avateur

Slightly bummed that we aren't getting a Spring 2014 release, but I am glad we're still getting a September release. Most of my Halo purchases happened in September and it's not too close to the holidays, but just close enough. I didn't get Halo 1 or Halo 2 at launch, but I hated the November launch for Halo 4 because it felt too close to the holidays to me.

Besides, as several people already pointed out, it would give me almost a year to save up a little bit from each paycheck and get a PS4. :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread