Will destiny survive (Destiny)

by destinybungie ⌂, Monday, December 30, 2013, 16:06 (3781 days ago)

Most of the games like Titanfall Far Cry 4 are coming out. But the question is that either this game will make its fame or will pass like a normal game.

I guess we'll have to see in September!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, December 30, 2013, 17:35 (3781 days ago) @ destinybungie

- No text -

...yes

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Tuesday, December 31, 2013, 07:15 (3781 days ago) @ destinybungie

Look on any internet "Most Anticipated" list and Destiny is normally right at the top.

Sort of.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, December 31, 2013, 08:04 (3781 days ago) @ destinybungie

People will buy it for 360, say "this is sub-720p and Halo 4 has more pixels", and they will all play Halo 4 instead.

The PS3 version look attractive because of the free online, but people will look down at the analogue sticks on their controller and become sad. Then they will go play Flower, because obviously the DS3 motion controls are so much better.

The Xbone and PS4 versions will both run well and have excellent controls, but the nonexistant install bases mean each platform will only sell one or two copies of Destiny worldwide.

However, the Dreamcast port will fly off the shelves, ushering in a new era of game development paradigms, and Shenmue 3.

Sort of.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, December 31, 2013, 09:16 (3781 days ago) @ uberfoop

However, the Dreamcast port will fly off the shelves, ushering in a new era of game development paradigms, and Shenmue 3.

What is this magical world you live in, and how does one travel there?

Will destiny survive

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, December 31, 2013, 10:06 (3781 days ago) @ destinybungie

Define survival. Are we talking about which game has the highest initial sales numbers (in which case "survive" isn't the best term probably - it implies that only the top-selling game makes a profit, which obviously isn't true). Or are we talking about which one keeps the biggest chunk of people playing long after release?

In the case of the former, it's hard to say. The bro-marketed multiplayer shooters do tend to be the biggest sellers so Titanfall will probably be huge. On the other hand, Activision seems to be fully behind Destiny (and who knows, that may even become more so, given the terrible reception of the latest CoD), and heavy marketing can do a lot.

In the case of the latter, I'd bet on Destiny, at least against the two games you mentioned. It seems to me that Far Cry and CoD releases (there hasn't been a previous Titanfall release to compare to, in lieu of that I'll use CoD) tend to be the gaming flavor-of-the-month. They sell big initially, and they're all the rage until the next MP shooter or playable tech demo comes along. Then they become a ghost town.

Will our love survive

by Flynn J Taggart, Tuesday, December 31, 2013, 13:21 (3781 days ago) @ destinybungie

- No text -

Love will tear us apart.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 03, 2014, 11:58 (3778 days ago) @ Flynn J Taggart

- No text -

I thought love would keep us together.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, January 03, 2014, 13:11 (3778 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

Love is the answer

by Flynn J Taggart, Friday, January 03, 2014, 13:19 (3778 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Love is blindness

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 03, 2014, 14:51 (3777 days ago) @ Flynn J Taggart

- No text -

Love, love, love

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, January 03, 2014, 17:31 (3777 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

I love lamp?

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, January 03, 2014, 19:27 (3777 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

and I love chair

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, January 04, 2014, 10:42 (3777 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

I heard Claude killed a guy with a trident

by breitzen @, Kansas, Saturday, January 04, 2014, 12:32 (3777 days ago) @ General Vagueness

- No text -

Just to watch him die?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, January 04, 2014, 13:31 (3777 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Will destiny survive

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Tuesday, December 31, 2013, 21:27 (3780 days ago) @ destinybungie

Could be. Will dog jump? Will butterfly explode? is it Optional? Only time can answer this questions... PEACE!

Love songs aside...

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 03, 2014, 14:54 (3777 days ago) @ destinybungie

I know that Bungie probably would like to make money, being a business at all, but I'm going to temporarily ignore such petty, capitalist concerns.

Is Destiny vital - is it a game that just had to be made?

Love songs aside...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, January 04, 2014, 16:03 (3776 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Is Destiny vital - is it a game that just had to be made?

That's a much better question.

Survive vs Thrive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 05, 2014, 19:50 (3775 days ago) @ destinybungie

Destiny is going to have Day 1 DLC.

Big mistake.

Destiny may survive, but it will not thrive unless Bungie changes its stupid ass DLC policy.

Here is a hint: expansion packs are cool and good. DLC is lame and stupid.

P.S. If Destiny is not getting Day 1 DLC anymore, please correct me.

What about a day 1 expansion pack?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, January 05, 2014, 20:15 (3775 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Survive vs Thrive

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, January 05, 2014, 20:24 (3775 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They did move the launch date, so whatever was set as Day 1 DLC is probably in now, with something else as Day 1 DLC. :p

Survive vs Thrive

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 10:09 (3774 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Destiny is going to have Day 1 DLC.

Big mistake.

Destiny may survive, but it will not thrive unless Bungie changes its stupid ass DLC policy.

Here is a hint: expansion packs are cool and good. DLC is lame and stupid.

I missed this one, can you point to it being announced?

Survive vs Thrive

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 10:26 (3774 days ago) @ electricpirate

I believe Mr. Miller is referring to the exclusive Playstation content.

Survive vs Thrive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 13:35 (3774 days ago) @ Xenos

I believe Mr. Miller is referring to the exclusive Playstation content.

I'm not sure it was that, but I was told there would be day 1 DLC. I don't know if it has been announced, but it was straight from the horse's mouth.

Survive vs Thrive

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 15:31 (3773 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's a bit vague... Which horse?

That Activision contract

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 16:45 (3773 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

That Activision contract

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 17:27 (3773 days ago) @ ZackDark

That contract has been rewritten a number of times in the (more than) 3 years since its first iteration. I'm doubtful that you could use that version right now as evidence of ANYTHING beyond Activision's funding of Destiny's development.

I'm not. Cody is. ;)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 18:25 (3773 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Wasn't in the contract

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 18:40 (3773 days ago) @ ZackDark

I just perused it, nothing that specific, just

So he's had someone at Bungie tell him personally or something else. I dunno!

Survive vs Thrive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 08, 2014, 07:12 (3773 days ago) @ Ragashingo

That's a bit vague... Which horse?

Bungie. This was over a year ago, so like I said it may have changed.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread