I'm glad Destiny got pushed back... (Destiny)

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, January 02, 2014, 19:08 (3778 days ago)

I think the decision to push the game back was great for the developers working at Bungie, and as a direct result, the entire game.

If they had kept the spring release date and the early winter beta, the studio would not have had (as much/any) time off over the holidays. The way it worked out, though, they were able to make the winter build and then everyone got to have some vital time off to relax, recuperate, recharge, and get excited about the work to come.

This is one of those things that is hard to scientifically quantify, but I believe the game will turn out better for this.

I hope all the Bungie'ers had a great break and I hope everyone has a lot of fun when they get back to the studio!

I'm glad Destiny got pushed back...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, January 03, 2014, 07:46 (3778 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Yeah I have to minds about it, the side that REALLY wanted to play Destiny in the next couple of months, and the side that knows Bungie will use the time to make the game more awesome. Overall I agree with you, but that won't stop me from being a little sad about it :)

I agree with you... mostly

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, January 03, 2014, 08:03 (3778 days ago) @ marmot 1333

While it is true they will have more time to polish, work on, and add value to the game over the few months it got pushed back, I think this was a Activision move to capitalize on Destiny anticipation more than anything.

With good reason, don't get me wrong, I just think if the date was really moved back into the normal Bungie game timeslot it was because of marketing and not necessarily for development reasons.

Luckily it's far enough ahead they can make some scope, design, etc decisions and actually have them come to fruition, but not that much.

Anyway, I always thought Destiny was the kind of game that would be updated and added upon frequently much like an *looks around and whispers* MMO.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 03, 2014, 08:46 (3778 days ago) @ MrPadraig08
edited by Kermit, Friday, January 03, 2014, 08:55

Not to add to the pressure already on them, but this is probably their most important release ever and may be remembered as such for a very long time.

Think about it.

They're trying something new. As much as everyone is trying to anticipate and label what the game is, I don't think we can have a good idea until the beta because I firmly believe that Bungie is trying to do something that hasn't been done before by doing what they've done before--that is, borrowing the good stuff from other games, adding their own special sauce and extra polish, and thereby creating something better than we anticipated.

When this plane takes off it's going to fly for a long time. I don't see it landing to refuel. There will be sequels, but this game in many ways will set the template for what they'll be building and playing for the next large chunk of time.

I look at it from their perspective. I've long thought that part of what Bungie is trying to do is not just provide something with staying power for fans, but something for that has staying power for them--something that will keep their interest for a decade. I also think they want to build something that is exremely well planned so that they aren't forced to burn through their human capitial to support and continue it. I think Bungie wants to make gaming better but also wants to make the business of game development better. I think they want to provide a compelling gameplay experience for fans and a compelling and non-exhaustive work experience for the talent that they've managed to attract.

It's going to require a lot of smarts, which I think they have, but also a good bit of wisdom, which I hope they've gained over the past 20+ years. For the sake of our hobby let's all hope that they're successful.

This is part of why the delay doesn't bother me. The better this take-off goes, the better the flight will be.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, January 03, 2014, 10:25 (3777 days ago) @ Kermit

It is an important release, I will agree with you there.

But, I think this game will be much more modular than anything we've seen from Bungie before. Having the ability to change direction and mix up the game is what has kept me (as well as many of you) coming back to Halo 2,3,Reach when other games have reached there end. It's the sole reason developer's like Valve can keep a 6+ year old game alive and kicking like it came out a year ago. So, I think you will see a lot from Bungie when this thing kicks off, but the initial kick is just the beginning in my eyes. Much more is in the community ecosystem, which Bungie has some experience into :3

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 03, 2014, 14:42 (3777 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

It is an important release, I will agree with you there.

But, I think this game will be much more modular than anything we've seen from Bungie before. Having the ability to change direction and mix up the game is what has kept me (as well as many of you) coming back to Halo 2,3,Reach when other games have reached there end. It's the sole reason developer's like Valve can keep a 6+ year old game alive and kicking like it came out a year ago. So, I think you will see a lot from Bungie when this thing kicks off, but the initial kick is just the beginning in my eyes. Much more is in the community ecosystem, which Bungie has some experience into :3

I'm not sure what you mean by modular. Who has the ability to change direction and mix up the game? Are you talking about Half Life? Is that modular?

If you mean that Destiny will present more opportunities for new experiences each time you play, and that there will be new content either unlocked or added as time goes on, then yes. OTOH, I've played through Halo CE over the break, and what made it so great is that it's still a compelling place to be. The flexibility to mix things up is baked into that game when it shipped. My co-op buddy and I had experiences we had not had before on levels we had each played through probably 100 times. Being able to create a compelling environment and rules that interact dynamically to produce unique situations goes a long way. Maybe we're saying the same thing. I can't tell.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Sunday, January 05, 2014, 19:20 (3775 days ago) @ Kermit

I mean the release experience will not be the same as a few months down the road. Bungie has the power to change the experience, add timed events, new content, player made content whenever. These constant content updates will keep the game thriving when it normally would simmer down.

Gotcha.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, January 05, 2014, 22:53 (3775 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

And that's why the planning to so important so that the game doesn't become an insatiable monster for them.

Ah, I did miss the chaos that was Halo 2

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Sunday, January 05, 2014, 20:15 (3775 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 03, 2014, 14:57 (3777 days ago) @ Kermit

I <3 your post, Kerm.

Bungie is all grown up now, you know? Let's see what they can do.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, January 04, 2014, 16:13 (3776 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I <3 your post, Kerm.

Thanks. This is question I care a lot about: can creatives find a place in the economy where they can earn a living, be fulfilled, and not be exploited? I think so but you have very keyed in to where your passion takes you. That's what I hope Bungie is doing, and if so, I think they'll be just fine. And we'll get a great game out of it.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, January 05, 2014, 20:20 (3775 days ago) @ Kermit

I <3 your post, Kerm.

Thanks. This is question I care a lot about: can creatives find a place in the economy where they can earn a living, be fulfilled, and not be exploited? I think so but you have very keyed in to where your passion takes you. That's what I hope Bungie is doing, and if so, I think they'll be just fine. And we'll get a great game out of it.

Bingo, sir.

If it hadn't, it would have been a really short beta.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, January 03, 2014, 15:15 (3777 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

True

by ridum, Sunday, January 05, 2014, 13:31 (3775 days ago) @ marmot 1333

This is true.

Everyone wins when things aren't rushed.

Even though I would KILL to be playing Destiny NOW.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread