A problem that doesn't exist (Gaming)

by Oholiab @, Thursday, January 09, 2014, 19:03 (3766 days ago)

Thoughtful article on Polygon about the addition of physical game controllers to improve mobile gaming.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/9/5291914/iphone-physical-buttons-problem-that-doesnt-exist

I'm not a game designer, though I would like to take a turn at it someday. But as an architect and designer, I appreciate when new technology is used to create new experiences, rather than replicate existing ones. I don't expect my iPad to take the place of my console and the unique experience of gaming in my living room. Rather, I want great designers to innovate new experiences for mobile gaming. In my humble opinion, that's far more intriguing.

So... all you amazing game designers: keep pushing for new ways to use new technology to captivate, engage, and entertain! Can't wait to see what you come up with next...

"Doesn't exist."

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, January 09, 2014, 19:09 (3766 days ago) @ Oholiab

So if I'm on the go, and I want to play a sort of game that benefits from buttons...?

"Doesn't exist."

by Oholiab @, Thursday, January 09, 2014, 19:19 (3766 days ago) @ uberfoop

Yeah, I see your point.

I suppose that what I was getting at is that I'd rather see great games made for mobile devices that didn't need to benefit from external add-ons or controllers. I think there's so much potential for new experiences, and I hope developers keep pushing the envelope.

Edited a typo

"Doesn't exist."

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 09, 2014, 22:06 (3766 days ago) @ uberfoop

So if I'm on the go, and I want to play a sort of game that benefits from buttons...?

Correct. It exists insofar as there are many genres that require physical buttons or special control devices to reasonably play. I would say that most genres are best played without touchscreens. The only genres I can think of where touchscreens might be the best input devices are turn based strategy, and certain puzzle games. There are many in which it would work decently, but not optimally, such as JRPG, SIM, Adventure, rhythm action etc.

It should be plainly obvious that buttons are far more versatile and have greater utility than touch screens when it comes to game input.

"Doesn't exist."

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, January 10, 2014, 10:56 (3765 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Correct. It exists insofar as there are many genres that require physical buttons or special control devices to reasonably play. I would say that most genres are best played without touchscreens. The only genres I can think of where touchscreens might be the best input devices are turn based strategy, and certain puzzle games. There are many in which it would work decently, but not optimally, such as JRPG, SIM, Adventure, rhythm action etc.

It should be plainly obvious that buttons are far more versatile and have greater utility than touch screens when it comes to game input.

It's not obvious and it sounds backwards.

A problem that doesn't exist

by Fuertisimo, Friday, January 10, 2014, 22:11 (3765 days ago) @ Oholiab

Just gonna toss my 2 cents into the ring about the obstacles to innovation in iphone games in particular, in my humble the most problematic part is the screen size, mostly because in order to touch the screen I will be blocking a part of what is already a fairly small screen, which can impact even a fairly simple and straightforward game such as jetpack joyride. If you attempt to do even more elaborate things with the touchscreen you would at least temporarily be blocking even more portions of the screen. I think this is a big part of why games like Zombie Gunship, Zombie Highway, Temple Run or dare I say it, Angry Birds are successful; because the temporary blockage of viewing area (or lack of need to use the touchpad at all) does not negatively impact the game play. So unless people invent translucent thumbs or phones with really fucking huge screens (not ideal for phones) I think it will be tough to really on the iphone. The ipad on the other hand has a lot more potential due to the much larger viewing area.

A problem that doesn't exist

by Oholiab @, Sunday, January 12, 2014, 18:18 (3763 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

translucent thumbs

That made me laugh. You make a good point about screen size.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread