Best gaming quotes in 2013 (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 17:14 (3760 days ago)

Post your favorites.

"I can't. There's a cockroach in the way" - George Stobbart, Broken Sword the Serpent's Curse

"This little Red Riding Hood has a basket full of kickass!" - Nilin, Remember Me

"First, you need to take a DOOMP." "But I don't have to go right now..." - Doktor / Raiden, Metal Gear Solid Rising Revengence

Hilarious year.

Best gaming quotes in 2013

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 18:51 (3760 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think the only game I've played that came out in 2013 would be GTA V (which I played in 2014, no less).

I laughed aloud from a random piece that came out of Franklin's mouth while jacking around. I had rammed my motorcycle at full speed into the edge of the pier and flung Franklin and the bike a hundred feet into the air. After about a full five seconds, Franklin very calmly states amid his flying, arms flailing, "F**k dis shit." It was another five seconds before we finally hit the water.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 16, 2014, 08:33 (3759 days ago) @ Leviathan

I think the only game I've played that came out in 2013 would be GTA V (which I played in 2014, no less).

I laughed aloud from a random piece that came out of Franklin's mouth while jacking around. I had rammed my motorcycle at full speed into the edge of the pier and flung Franklin and the bike a hundred feet into the air. After about a full five seconds, Franklin very calmly states amid his flying, arms flailing, "F**k dis shit." It was another five seconds before we finally hit the water.

GTA shines at moments like this. Trevor and Franklin especially crack me up.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 23:16 (3760 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Right at the entirety of Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. Two of my favorites though...

Engineer: "You did it, Sergeant, but it's not overloading! You need to... punch the reactor!"
HUD: "Objective: Punch the Nuclear Reactor."

Female AI (over the enemy PA system): "Your attention: The last batch of grenades was defective, and will only prime if you say the phrase, 'grenade out'. Thank you."
*a few minutes later....*
Female AI: "Your attention: During my last announcement, I may have inadvertently primed several grenades. My apologies to anyone I killed and/or maimed."
Female AI: "Your attention: Grenades will also respond to the phrase, 'eat this'. Thank you."
*distant explosions are heard*

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, January 16, 2014, 18:04 (3759 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Right at the entirety of Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. Two of my favorites though...

Engineer: "You did it, Sergeant, but it's not overloading! You need to... punch the reactor!"
HUD: "Objective: Punch the Nuclear Reactor."

Female AI (over the enemy PA system): "Your attention: The last batch of grenades was defective, and will only prime if you say the phrase, 'grenade out'. Thank you."
Female AI: "Your attention: During my last announcement, I may have inadvertently primed several grenades. My apologies to anyone I killed and/or maimed."
Female AI: "Your attention: Grenades will also respond to the phrase, 'eat this'. Thank you."
*distant explosions are heard*

How long/expansive is Blood Dragon? I've always wanted to get the full game after the demo, but wasn't sure if it justified the use of my starving bank account if it was a smaller experience.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, January 16, 2014, 18:39 (3759 days ago) @ Leviathan

How long/expansive is Blood Dragon? I've always wanted to get the full game after the demo, but wasn't sure if it justified the use of my starving bank account if it was a smaller experience.

It's short. Something like 13 outposts to reclaim (and those are fast) a variety of side missions (which usually last under 10 minutes) and then 7 or so main missions. I'd compare it's length to ODST, and like ODST, you can derive as much playtime out of the game as you really want (I think I squeezed 12 hours out of ODST on my first playthrough), it's just that the real bread and butter isn't very lengthy.

I've praised it highly to everyone I know (JDQuackers and ZackDark can attest to my praises on G+), and definitely think it's worth the full 15 dollar fee of admission. If not for the gameplay, than for the fantastic parody of modern FPS games, 80's action movies, and, well, the 80's in general. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, everything is over the top with tongue planted firmly in cheek, and it's very nearly a throwback to the FPS games of 10 or so years ago, where by the end of the game, you're entirely overpowered and nigh unstoppable.

So, while I can recommend it for the full 15 bucks, I get where you're coming from as I'm in the same position. I had my eye on it for awhile, but 15 bucks felt steep. Around Black Friday XBL had a sale on it that dropped the price 75-80%, and then they did it again very recently as a deal of the week. At anything under 5 bucks, it's a steal. So if you're looking to get it cheap, keep an eye on the marketplace deals. It may crop up again.

Very, very short, if you go only for Story Missions

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, January 16, 2014, 18:44 (3759 days ago) @ Leviathan

Very short if not. I say at most 10 hours if you do every mission.

Worth every penny, IMO.

Refer to Phoenix's post. $5 bucks is a common deal

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, January 16, 2014, 18:48 (3759 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

So good.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, January 16, 2014, 19:14 (3759 days ago) @ Leviathan

Like others have said, it's pretty short. But it's so fun! Worth the $15 for me.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, January 16, 2014, 19:53 (3759 days ago) @ breitzen

I really like synthesizers, the color pink, and grids, so I guess I'll pick it up when I finish the games in my queue.

... So like a year from now.

(Need to finish GTA V, play Alan Wake, Blue Dragon, and Tomb Raider on this gen, then Shadow of Colossus and Republic Commando on the last...gah. I guess part of getting old is getting stressed out by the games you own.)

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, January 16, 2014, 22:08 (3759 days ago) @ Leviathan

I really like synthesizers, the color pink, and grids, so I guess I'll pick it up when I finish the games in my queue.

Dude, play it ASAP. For serious. I think you'd probably really dig the art direction and the atmosphere, and the music is absolutely ACE. The music is actually what drew my attention to the game first, followed closely by the fact it was basically an 80's action movie. Honestly, a game this short can cut line in your queue.

(Need to finish GTA V, play Alan Wake, Blue Dragon, and Tomb Raider on this gen, then Shadow of Colossus and Republic Commando on the last...gah. I guess part of getting old is getting stressed out by the games you own.)

Wat? You haven't played Alan Wake either? So much hate gets piled on Alan Wake, and while some of it is perhaps justified (the combat and enemy variety), for my money the story is absolutely fantastic. It's a game where the atmosphere, the music, the story, the cinematics, everything is spot on and perfect. And the ending? The ending is killer.

The DLCs and American Nightmare are pretty good too. Not as great, but good. In some ways they feel like tacked on after thoughts. Chapters to the story that should've been saved for another game, or placed prior to the ending. But the plot and story they tell builds on what you know, so it wound up being worth it to me. As psyched as I am for Quantum Break, I'm extremely disappointed it's not another solid Alan Wake installment (a feeling Sam Lake seems to share).

Do yourself a favor when you finally sit down to play Alan Wake. Treat it like a TV show. Only play it when you have a really solid block of time to commit, and limit yourself to one Chapter at a time. There's a really solid ending to each chapter, and before the next one starts, they recap the story so far. I felt it made the experience all the better.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, January 20, 2014, 10:35 (3755 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Wat? You haven't played Alan Wake either? So much hate gets piled on Alan Wake, and while some of it is perhaps justified (the combat and enemy variety), for my money the story is absolutely fantastic. It's a game where the atmosphere, the music, the story, the cinematics, everything is spot on and perfect. And the ending? The ending is killer.

If I stopped liking everything the internet complained about and piled on, I'd love far fewer things, heh. I've played the first 20 minutes some months ago and it seemed cool, and well worth the $15 I payed for it. I'm also a fan of a lot of David Lynch's stuff and Twin Peaks, so the setting seemed especially suited to my surreal horror interests.

Do yourself a favor when you finally sit down to play Alan Wake. Treat it like a TV show. Only play it when you have a really solid block of time to commit, and limit yourself to one Chapter at a time. There's a really solid ending to each chapter, and before the next one starts, they recap the story so far. I felt it made the experience all the better.

Ah, the problem is... my girlfriend won't let me play Wake when she's home, hah. She's still angry about the nightmares she had while I played Fallout 3 in another room as off-kilter 1920's songs and screams seeped into her subconscious! I'll have to be very strategic with my scheduling. :)

by Phoenix_9286 @, Monday, January 20, 2014, 16:33 (3755 days ago) @ Leviathan

Ah, the problem is... my girlfriend won't let me play Wake when she's home, hah. She's still angry about the nightmares she had while I played Fallout 3 in another room as off-kilter 1920's songs and screams seeped into her subconscious! I'll have to be very strategic with my scheduling. :)

Solution: Headphones.

I can kinda relate. Mine wanted to play it, but as soon as she entered combat the first time she kinda freaked and decided she'd much rather watch than play. As such, I ended up playing the game for her.

I'm morbidly interested to see how she'd handle Dead Space.

by Quirel, Thursday, January 16, 2014, 20:21 (3759 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"Would you kindly?"

I only just got around to playing Bioshock in December. And... well, I never got around to playing anything released in 2013. So for the games I played in 2013, that's the best quote of all.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, January 25, 2014, 20:23 (3750 days ago) @ Quirel

"Would you kindly?"

I only just got around to playing Bioshock in December. And... well, I never got around to playing anything released in 2013. So for the games I played in 2013, that's the best quote of all.

[image]
--------------

After thinking long about this I have realized that I didn't really play any video games in 2013 except during the Holiday lull; and I didn't find anything quotable in Splinter -Not Ironside- Cell or Remember Me.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. :/

I hope I can manage some time for Destiny.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 17, 2014, 14:52 (3758 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Like, the entire opening for Civ5's Brave New World.

Absolutely amazing.

(Oh, hey, Cody, you like that game right? Finally pushed myself to tackle Emperor and Immortal difficulties. Yay for getting better.)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 17, 2014, 15:08 (3758 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Absolutely amazing.

(Oh, hey, Cody, you like that game right? Finally pushed myself to tackle Emperor and Immortal difficulties. Yay for getting better.)

It's good, but not as good as 3.

(Do I have to qualify this as an opinion as well?)

Yes

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, January 17, 2014, 16:04 (3758 days ago) @ Cody Miller

=p

Seriously, though, I really liked the hexagons.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 05:39 (3757 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Absolutely amazing.

It's good, but not as good as 3.

(Do I have to qualify this as an opinion as well?)

Not to me. But we can meet tomorrow morning, and settle the matter with pistols, if you like.

It's been a long time since I played 3, but I remembered liking 5 because it felt a lot more like 3. Why 3 over for 5, you think?

by Jillybean, Sunday, January 19, 2014, 03:09 (3756 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"I can't. There's a cockroach in the way" - George Stobbart, Broken Sword the Serpent's Curse

I liked:
"You remember how to fenoodle, don't you, Nico?" - George Stobbart, better.

"This little Red Riding Hood has a basket full of kickass!" - Nilin, Remember Me

Oh Nilin, darling.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread