New Bungie Podcast is up! January 2014 (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, January 16, 2014, 17:51 (3759 days ago)

The new episode of the Bungie podcast has been posted. Stop reading and go listen!

lots of new infos

by electricpirate @, Friday, January 17, 2014, 05:52 (3758 days ago) @ Xenos

Some that stuck out to me. Great stuff!

Investment
- Tyson referenced a few games as impression, dark souls, league of legends and dots. That's good sign.
- dark souls 1 bros get a shout, another good sign
- mentions that investment is more than in game vitems, includes skill and community standing.
- expect balance to be constantly changing. Some kind of mechanic to rapidly modify balance so adaptability is a skill
- fast cycles for upgrades- weapons can be maxed in a weekend, or long night of play. Vehicles will take longer
- balance about people using different things.
- using investment as a toil to build long term community, help players find a niche that they would normally ignore.
- dude knows his shit, he echoes my own thoughts.

Bakken PvP
- staying alive longer let's you build supers. Kill streaks or some other mechanic?
- multiple proxy nades mentioned
- maps designed around vertical movement option
- vertical movement sounds like the best thing since sliced bread
- big focus on interlocking systems to create depth.
- skill still key
- mode designed around capturing powerful positions

Didn't answer anything about how a new character balances against a leveled character and how that is handled. :(

lots of new infos

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, January 17, 2014, 08:24 (3758 days ago) @ electricpirate

Lots of things to talk about, but this struck me:

- fast cycles for upgrades- weapons can be maxed in a weekend, or long night of play. Vehicles will take longer

I like that. A lot. It's like grinding games without the proverbial grind. Implicitly, though, I think this means there a LOT of weapons in the game, since it is still being called 'player investment'.

lots of new infos

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, January 17, 2014, 09:00 (3758 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by Xenos, Friday, January 17, 2014, 09:05

Lots of things to talk about, but this struck me:

I like that. A lot. It's like grinding games without the proverbial grind. Implicitly, though, I think this means there a LOT of weapons in the game, since it is still being called 'player investment'.

Yeah I was excited too about that. I do like upgradable weapons, but the grind like games in Battlefield, while it can be fun, can get annoying when you're just trying to unlock that ONE gun or accessory you want (stupid Magnum).

lots of new infos

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, January 17, 2014, 09:06 (3758 days ago) @ Xenos

I hate that. There's one or two optics I like, but I'm stuck using stuff I don't like for hours just to get them.

On the other hand, if you can upgrade your weapon in a weekend, what's the point in making you grind it at all?

lots of new infos

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, January 17, 2014, 09:55 (3758 days ago) @ bluerunner

On the other hand, if you can upgrade your weapon in a weekend, what's the point in making you grind it at all?

Well, I can't think of a straight-up reason, but a few roundabouts.

1) Giving you the weapon maxed out from the get-go might make setting up OP builds too easy too fast, so even the constant balancing won't be able to catch up.

2) This way forces you to get used to the weapon before getting it maxed out. I have no idea how helpful this is, but it is a reason.

3) Because PLAYER INVESTMENT! (Seriously, though, it might be in the contract, so they sort of followed the contract while keeping most of us happy).

lots of new infos

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, January 17, 2014, 10:04 (3758 days ago) @ ZackDark

2) This way forces you to get used to the weapon before getting it maxed out. I have no idea how helpful this is, but it is a reason.

I actually like this reason. Despite the super long grind in BF4, I do occasionally use a gun and think "I really like this gun, it just needs a little bit of a tweak." Then when I unlock the heavy barrel or muzzle brake and tweak it until I like it, and it's very satisfying when I get it working the way I like. Having them all in the first place usually makes it so I don't learn how the gun works. The only issue I have with BF4 as I said before is the sheer amount of time you have to dump into it to get all of the accessories.

lots of new infos

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, January 17, 2014, 14:18 (3758 days ago) @ Xenos

I would like it better if I could pick the order that I unlocked upgrades. Let me earn credits that go to purchasing what I want. That way at least I don't feel like I'm grinding for stuff I'm never going to use. At the same time it gives me some decisions to ponder over. In what order do I purchase the upgrades? Will I regret this purchase later? Should I research the stats on this upgrade and see if it works for me? With the current Battlefield system it's just chug away until the right part finally unlocks.

lots of new infos

by electricpirate @, Friday, January 17, 2014, 12:44 (3758 days ago) @ ZackDark

I think it's three fold. 1. It let's you get to pick the weapons identity, and get a feel for it before you commit down a path. Iebif you want to choose between a status effect or higher damage having some time to use it allows you to see how you would use it.

Two, it increases commitment to a single weapon, hopefully avoiding the river of upgrades like in borderlands.

Finally it allows you to customize the skill tree of each gun.

Well, I can't think of a straight-up reason, but a few roundabouts.

1) Giving you the weapon maxed out from the get-go might make setting up OP builds too easy too fast, so even the constant balancing won't be able to catch up.

3) Because PLAYER INVESTMENT! (Seriously, though, it might be in the contract, so they sort of followed the contract while keeping most of us happy).

I

lots of new infos

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, January 17, 2014, 13:35 (3758 days ago) @ bluerunner

I hate that. There's one or two optics I like, but I'm stuck using stuff I don't like for hours just to get them.

Maybe you'll find another gun just like it, or one with a slightly different tree. You could level one up for PvP, and one for creeps. Swap them out when you change modes.

~m

lots of new infos

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, January 19, 2014, 11:27 (3756 days ago) @ electricpirate

I loved hearing about how investment is going to be used as a means to keep people excited about and coming back to an ever-evolving game, as opposed to simply an XP system layered on top of a shooter. Good that they have a handle on that.

Listening to him talk about it, seems like Tyson is going to be the man who's responsible for designing systems to keep the playerbase happy and engaged for 10 years. So yeah, no pressure buddy.

But don't fuck this up.

<3 community.

lots of new infos

by ferrex, Monday, January 20, 2014, 22:55 (3754 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Listening to him talk about it, seems like Tyson is going to be the man who's responsible for designing systems to keep the playerbase happy and engaged for 10 years. So yeah, no pressure buddy.

But don't fuck this up.

<3 community.

Oh good, I still have some bourbon in the fridge...

lots of new infos

by ncsuDuncan @, Monday, January 20, 2014, 23:03 (3754 days ago) @ ferrex

Very entertaining.

by ncsuDuncan @, Friday, January 17, 2014, 17:52 (3758 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm really digging this monthly podcast cadence! And despite some expected bleeping, I'm delighted at the number of *ahem* podcast exclusives being doled out.

Unsurprising to anyone familiar with Bungie vidocs, Tyson and Lars are remarkably skilled at talking about their work in exciting ways. That Destiny game sounds like a hoot. I don't believe I've met Tyson yet, but chatting with Lars at E3 and PAX was quite the pleasure.

Urk, DeeJ, and that Halytosis guy are cool too, I suppose.

Very entertaining.

by urk, Friday, January 17, 2014, 20:15 (3758 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Well, we did miss a month, but I hope to keep them rolling at least once every other. Suggestion for the next show? I was thinking enemy combatants, but not sure I can make it happen. What else?

Very entertaining.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 17, 2014, 20:48 (3758 days ago) @ urk

Well, we did miss a month, but I hope to keep them rolling at least once every other. Suggestion for the next show? I was thinking enemy combatants, but not sure I can make it happen. What else?

I want to know more about drop-in co-op.

Very entertaining.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 20, 2014, 08:15 (3755 days ago) @ Kermit

Now that I've finished listening to the podcast, I'm very intrigued by this idea that even co-op will change over time. It's one of those subjects where I want to know more but I also want to be surprised.

This was a great podcast. Scarcely a minute went by without something thoughtful being said.

Great job all around.

Very entertaining.

by ncsuDuncan @, Friday, January 17, 2014, 22:16 (3758 days ago) @ urk

Well, we did miss a month, but I hope to keep them rolling at least once every other.

Heh, I originally had "monthly-ish" in my post but decided to give you partial credit for December's Game Informer podcast. (Though I was a bit disappointed in GI's production quality.)

Once every other month is still a steady enough pace that the podcast feels "alive" and consistent. It certainly outperforms most gaming studios - not that we really care about that anyways.

Suggestion for the next show? I was thinking enemy combatants, but not sure I can make it happen. What else?

Enemy combatants would be a good topic, plenty to talk about at this stage. (Compared to something like story/writing - though I'd eventually like to see someone like Dave Mongan on the show.)

Is it too early to sit down with a Sound Designer? Seems like we heard from Jay at roughly this point in the Reach timeline. Beyond that, I'd suggest Animation or Motion Capture. Troy, perhaps? I'm sure Tom Sanocki probably has some neat stories to tell as well.

I assume busy schedules are the major constraint. Do your guests spend much time preparing for the show beforehand or do they mostly just wing it? It's been hard to tell so far, which is great - plenty of interesting stories and talking points without sounding scripted.

Very entertaining.

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 06:41 (3757 days ago) @ urk

It'd be nice to have Luke Smith back on the podcast and hear what he's been working on.

- CC

Very entertaining.

by ferrex, Monday, January 20, 2014, 22:56 (3754 days ago) @ CaneCutter

It'd be nice to have Luke Smith back on the podcast and hear what he's been working on.

- CC

Luke's stuff kicks ass.

Very entertaining.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 09:54 (3757 days ago) @ urk

Maybe a segment of Sounds From the Cutting Room Floor. Whether there's context or not, if audio is being played so close to the vest that nothing is available to showcase, discarded stuff (and maybe an explanation as to why it was) would be fun to hear.

~m

Very entertaining.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 12:36 (3757 days ago) @ urk

Probs too many spoilers, but, I'd like to hear more about the setting, and how it was inspired.

Looks like we're sticking close to Sol, which is awesome - what lead to this?

How does it feel to be creating places on, say, Mars, when it's actually a real literal place and we have like pictures and knowledge and stuff? Is it easier, harder, different, than creating places for an imaginary planet (like Reach)?

^------ THIS please :)

by roland ⌂ @, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 14:09 (3757 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

by urk, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 16:19 (3757 days ago) @ roland

Explored this subject in a previous podcast!

by roland ⌂ @, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 22:13 (3757 days ago) @ urk

Explored this subject in a previous podcast!

But I want more!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, January 20, 2014, 12:54 (3755 days ago) @ urk

I totes missed it. Will go back and look at some point.

Unless someone is awesome and can link me because I'm also lazy.

Here.

by ncsuDuncan @, Monday, January 20, 2014, 13:34 (3755 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Just for you: Bungie Mooncast

Don't spend it all in one place. Or something.

Very entertaining.

by ncsuDuncan @, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 14:17 (3757 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Destiny's Mars environment is just the Moon seen through a red filter.

Kind of like how the bushes in Super Mario Bros. were just green clouds.

Very entertaining.

by roland ⌂ @, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 14:35 (3757 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Destiny's Mars environment is just the Moon seen through a red filter.

Kind of like how the bushes in Super Mario Bros. were just green clouds.

You just hurt my brain in so many ways...

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, January 18, 2014, 18:16 (3757 days ago) @ roland

- No text -

Very entertaining.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, January 20, 2014, 12:55 (3755 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Confirmed: everything on Jupiter will be huge.

grognok!

by electricpirate @, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 20:20 (3757 days ago) @ urk

Let's hear more on grognok, how it came about, who worked on it, what it's capable of etc! Modeling? Scripting? Pathing?

grognok!

by marmot 1333 @, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 20:32 (3757 days ago) @ electricpirate
edited by marmot 1333, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 20:46

Yeah, when the game was first announced there was lots of talk about how the tools were designed to carry them down the 10-year timeline. Some more of that behind the scenes stuff would be cool.

I also love the idea of hearing more about enemy combatants, Strikes, Raids, armor/clothing & the abilities conferred, more about the drop-in co-op, more about the Spec Ops team.

Basically anything. You could talk about anything and it would be cool.

I enjoyed this podcast a lot, it was my favorite of them so far. As time goes on we get to learn a little more and more and the conversations seem more natural and are allowed to flow.

Keep it up!

+1

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 20:32 (3757 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

How much of it will we get our hands on in-game?

by scarab @, Sunday, January 19, 2014, 13:22 (3756 days ago) @ electricpirate

none? all? a sub set?

Very entertaining.

by Spawn ⌂, Monday, January 20, 2014, 07:37 (3755 days ago) @ urk

I would personally love to get more in depth with the Audio direction of Destiny. Marty and Mike's new work and how that was initially inspired. Their direction going forward, how music cues work within Destiny and possibly and teasing about Music of the Spheres.

Very entertaining.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, January 20, 2014, 18:18 (3755 days ago) @ urk

Anything of substance involving the Awoken and Exo. The coffer that holds such information is bone dry on this side of fandom. I'm still wondering how these two races change how Destiny is played - if at all.

Shoulder Rush

by Spawn ⌂, Friday, January 17, 2014, 19:53 (3758 days ago) @ Xenos

Friendly fire on or off? This is crucial >.>

From the Mail Sack

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, January 18, 2014, 09:33 (3757 days ago) @ Spawn

reydar117 We can kill others guys in the open world area?

If by “other guys” you mean “vile invaders who have taken up residence in the worlds that are rightfully ours,” the answer is “Yes!” If your question is aimed at battling other Guardians, you’ll need to enter a completely separate activity to test your competitive mettle. You’ll make a lot of choices in Destiny, including when you want your allies to turn their guns on you. We can’t have Guardians attacking each other in the wild. The wild is a dangerous enough place already, without you turning your guns on one another.

So I'd guess no friendly fire in the open, at least.

Deej

by GrimBrother IV, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 09:15 (3757 days ago) @ Xenos

Though I do understand the love of hoods and capes as my Elder, I'll have you know that this Grimbrother has been locked in on Exo Warlock since moment I saw the GDC panel. I simply cannot wait to unleash the Traveller's Light as one if those Guardians most familiar with it.

-IV

I don't want to hit the bee hive....

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 10:22 (3752 days ago) @ Xenos

...but, I'm curious.

Cody,

Did you listen to this podcast? They talk about investment pretty much the whole time. I found their answers to be pretty satisfactory if not telling in how Destiny plans to not illicit investment systems in the negative ways you were fearing.

Just curious if you had listened and, no matter how slim a chance it may be, considered the whole 'investment' thing differently.

I don't want to hit the bee hive....

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 24, 2014, 20:42 (3751 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

...but, I'm curious.

Cody,

Did you listen to this podcast? They talk about investment pretty much the whole time. I found their answers to be pretty satisfactory if not telling in how Destiny plans to not illicit investment systems in the negative ways you were fearing.

Just curious if you had listened and, no matter how slim a chance it may be, considered the whole 'investment' thing differently.

No. Listening to podcasts is dumb. If there's a transcript of it somewhere, I'd certainly read it given the topic.

In my opinion obviously, because I have to say that.

Must be in comic sans, 18 pt.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Saturday, January 25, 2014, 07:49 (3750 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

*Runs towards the nearest lake as the bees swarm everywhere*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, January 24, 2014, 21:11 (3751 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread