Community Game Night: January 23, 2014 (Recruitment)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 17:51 (3760 days ago)
edited by Xenos, Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 18:00

Alright people, another week, another game night. This week we will be playing Halo 4, mostly to try out some content made by our fellow BOrgs. The usual drill:

Date: Thursday, January 23, 2014
Time: 9:30pm EST/ 6:30pm PST
Game: Halo 4

Friend me/message me to get an invite on Thursday, and I WILL invite you if I see you online that night. Let me know if you plan on coming!

I'll be there!

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 23:02 (3760 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Count me in!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 11:52 (3759 days ago) @ Xenos

Count me in!

Although I probably haven't played since I was consistently in last place with y'all a few months ago...

Count me in!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:49 (3759 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Count me in!

Although I probably haven't played since I was consistently in last place with y'all a few months ago...

It's okay, I was pretty humbled repeatedly at HBOMB.

Community Game Night: January 23, 2014

by ncsuDuncan @, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 15:20 (3759 days ago) @ Xenos

Just wanted to say that I appreciate you setting up these game nights. (Same goes for Vagueness, Kermit, SNIPE, and anyone else that has used the Recruitment category.)

Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I'm not able to attend on Thursdays because that is Board Game Night here at my place - been hosting it (almost) every week for the past two years. Nothing crazy, just six or so friends sitting around playing games like Settlers of Catan. By the time we finish I'm usually scrambling to update the DBO front page before bed.

Anyways, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Keep up the good work!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 17:43 (3759 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I actually am considering (if I'm still running Community Game Night) moving it to Wednesday when Destiny comes out. I actually prefer Wednesdays for the most part, but unfortunately it has gotten in the way of several other things both in my life and in the BOrg community.

Whoa, slow down, champ

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 19:40 (3759 days ago) @ Xenos

Wednesday's are Co-Op Nights!

=p

I'd be totally down for really long sessions, so a Co-Op Night + Community Game Night is profit and score!

Whoa, slow down, champ

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:19 (3758 days ago) @ ZackDark

Wednesday's are Co-Op Nights!

=p

Yeah, what the hell, Xenos? ;)

Speaking of which, what's the interest in a playthrough of Gears of War 3?

I'm asking for when I get done with The Last of Us in a week or two, assuming that I'm not so traumatized that I never want to play games again.

Kermit

Whoa, slow down, champ

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:54 (3758 days ago) @ Kermit

Actually Kermit, I wanted to talk to you about it! It's a little far off, but here is my reasoning. Destiny will be a much more co-operative game then Halo games, so I was thinking we could do a co-op night (run by one or both of us) on Wednesdays, and then have a more casual competitive night a different night of the week, maybe Thursdays, maybe a completely different night.

Whoa, slow down, champ

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:03 (3758 days ago) @ Xenos

Actually Kermit, I wanted to talk to you about it! It's a little far off, but here is my reasoning. Destiny will be a much more co-operative game then Halo games, so I was thinking we could do a co-op night (run by one or both of us) on Wednesdays, and then have a more casual competitive night a different night of the week, maybe Thursdays, maybe a completely different night.

At least from my perspective, it's too early to say what a Destiny co-op night would look like. When I started hosting, the tools that Bungie provided for us affected the nature of it--how it was promoted, organized, and reported on, and I think it will be the same if not more so with Destiny. Then again, I tend to overthink these things.

Whoa, slow down, champ

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:17 (3758 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, it's definitely too early to tell for sure. The main reason I've been thinking about it is because of what looks like the strange nature of how co-op will work. With 3 person fire teams and the potential of public events here's how I'm hoping we can work it: all the fire teams run the same mission/raid/activity, and when a public event pops up I'm hoping that the game will put us in the same public event if we are friends on XBL/PSN. But yeah, I am also probably overthinking this :)

Whoa, slow down, champ

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:50 (3758 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah, it's definitely too early to tell for sure. The main reason I've been thinking about it is because of what looks like the strange nature of how co-op will work. With 3 person fire teams and the potential of public events here's how I'm hoping we can work it: all the fire teams run the same mission/raid/activity, and when a public event pops up I'm hoping that the game will put us in the same public event if we are friends on XBL/PSN. But yeah, I am also probably overthinking this :)

I'm really hoping for something like that as well, and that's what I mean when I say I don't know yet. For a little while after Reach we had a Firefight night, and although it didn't catch on as well as others have, I did incorporate Firefight when we did our co-op night run through ODST. But again, Bungie gave us an incentive by providing achievements for each Firefight map.

The only thing I'm pretty sure of is that I'm going to want to organize something for the community around the story missions, but even that could change shape depending on what Bungie hasn't told us yet. :)

Whoa, slow down, champ

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:55 (3758 days ago) @ Kermit

Plus, there's the platform issue. We may have four hosts at once!

Or, if I go really crazy, I may have four consoles and spread out the opportunities to play.

EDIT: Wouldn't be amazing if we could all play together regardless?

Whoa, slow down, champ

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 10:00 (3758 days ago) @ Kermit

Plus, there's the platform issue. We may have four hosts at once!

Or, if I go really crazy, I may have four consoles and spread out the opportunities to play.

Yeah, I am planning on doing this too unless they announce any kind of cross-platform play. But yeah, that was part of my thought with the multiple hosts thing. One of us on each platform.

Whoa, slow down, champ

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:44 (3758 days ago) @ Kermit

Speaking of which, what's the interest in a playthrough of Gears of War 3?

Very strong.

Whoa, slow down, champ

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 10:32 (3758 days ago) @ Kermit

Hell yes, GoW3, and then Iron Brigade.

Board Games!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 20:17 (3759 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan
edited by Speedracer513, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 20:23

"Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I'm not able to attend on Thursdays because that is Board Game Night here at my place - been hosting it (almost) every week for the past two years. Nothing crazy, just six or so friends sitting around playing games like Settlers of Catan. By the time we finish I'm usually scrambling to update the DBO front page before bed.

Anyways, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Keep up the good work!"

Tuesday is my usual board game night.

While we're on the subject -- are any of y'all active users on BoardGameGeek?

Board Games!

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 15:58 (3758 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I've recently joined to log games I've played. I think gathering statistics like that is pretty cool, and I wanted to have the account set up for the start of 2014. I have yet to actually post on the forums though, but that day approaches! :)

Catan

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 05:49 (3758 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Nothing crazy, just six or so friends sitting around playing games like Settlers of Catan.

Catan = crazy. My wife and I try to play once a week with friends and craziness ensues. We just recently started playing with the City's and Knights expansion, SO GOOD.

Have you ever tried Carcassonne?

Catan

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:55 (3758 days ago) @ breitzen

Catan = crazy. My wife and I try to play once a week with friends and craziness ensues. We just recently started playing with the City's and Knights expansion, SO GOOD.

Oh man, Cities and Knights makes Catan AMAZING. I've been playing a lot of Dominion and Puerto Rico recently.

Catan

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 13:10 (3758 days ago) @ Xenos

Oh man, Cities and Knights makes Catan AMAZING. I've been playing a lot of Dominion and Puerto Rico recently.

Agreed. Puerto Rico keeps popping up in conversations. I think I'm going to have to check it out.

Catan

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 12:19 (3758 days ago) @ breitzen

Nothing crazy, just six or so friends sitting around playing games like Settlers of Catan.

Catan's one of our favorites. We haven't tried Cities and Knights, but we have the Seafarers one, as well as some cheaper, smaller expansions, like a river rich in gold and a market thing that rewards you for actually being NICE to other players.

Have you ever tried Carcassonne?

We just recently purchased Carcassone - it's fun!

Catan

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 13:16 (3758 days ago) @ Leviathan

Catan's one of our favorites. We haven't tried Cities and Knights, but we have the Seafarers one, as well as some cheaper, smaller expansions, like a river rich in gold and a market thing that rewards you for actually being NICE to other players.

Rewards for being nice!? Where's the fun in that! ;)
I played "Regular/Seafarer Catan for years; Cities and Knights is by far my favorite way to play, it adds a couple layers of complexity but it only takes a game or two to "get it".

We just recently purchased Carcassone - it's fun!

My personal favorite board game of all time. The basic game is great, but its expansions are fantastic and elevate it to a whole other level. (The River, The Princess & Dragon, The Tower)

Catan

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 21:54 (3758 days ago) @ breitzen

I've been pretty deep into the board gaming community for several years now. Catan, Carcassone, and Puerto Rico were some of my first... I now have a fairly small collection of 100-150 games. Here is a picture of most of my collection as of last summer. I also help run the BoardGameGeek Convention here in Dallas every November.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 16:08 (3759 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm in
note to self: look at this tomorrow

Thanks for the fun!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 21:55 (3758 days ago) @ Xenos

I had a great time as usual. See y'all again soon hopefully!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread