The Great Smoky Mountain LANboree (Recruitment)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, January 27, 2014, 18:05 (3751 days ago)

[image]
*Thanks Korny

Ya’ll sit back and listen to a tale. This is a tale of a group of brave adventurers fighting for survival amongst the great smoke covered mountains. They climbed sheer cliffs, they fought bears, and they quenched their mighty thirst in pure mountain streams. These rugged frontiersmen fought and died on these mountains. They fought for flags, for territory, and for the scalps of the less brave. Some say that in the deep, dark, old growth forests high up the hills you can still hear a voice upon the wind…”Flag taken….flag dropped…flag taken….flag dropped…”

Where:
Gatlinburg, Tennessee http://goo.gl/maps/0W8S1

Gatlinburg lies at the far eastern end of Tennessee, right at the base of the most spectacular peaks in the Appalachian Mountains.

[image]

Also these:
[image]

When:

April 18-21

Crow’s Nest
[image]
Conveniently located only 1 mile from downtown Gatlinburg, this beautiful 3 level chalet has a multitude of amenities and all of the comforts of home. The large game room on the ground floor will leave you prepared to go… to war.

[image]

What will we be doing?
- Gaming
- Eating
- Hiking
- Eating
- Cheesy touristy stuff
- Eating

Cost: $80 per person
Fun like this ain’t free, but I’ve done my best to keep it reasonable. I’d hate for any of you poor losers to miss out. :p
The cost includes the cabin, plus meals Friday night and Saturday. We’ll be heading out exploring on Sunday, so pack a little cash for food and fun.

How do I join?
Please email your name, gamertag, HBO/DBO tag, and where you will be traveling from. Also please let me know if you will be available all weekend or for just part of it.

I do have limited room at the cabin. I will do my absolute best to accommodate everyone who wants to go, but it is filling up on a first come basis. If I can’t fit you in this time, don’t sweat it. If everything goes right we might just have to make this a regular thing. :)

TL,DR:
Where: Gatlinburg, Tennessee http://goo.gl/maps/0W8S1
When: April 18-21
Cost: $80

The Great Smoky Mountain LANboree

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 27, 2014, 18:11 (3751 days ago) @ bluerunner

I'm in the pic. I have to attend.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, January 27, 2014, 18:14 (3751 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm in the pic. I have to attend.

That was the idea.

by petetheduck, Monday, January 27, 2014, 18:52 (3751 days ago) @ Korny

A LAN within reasonable driving distance?

I can't commit to attending, but I'll keep my eye on that weekend. Could be fun to pull it off at the last minute if circumstances permit.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 16:27 (3750 days ago) @ petetheduck

We would love to have you there. I can guarantee your maps will be in the rotation.

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Monday, January 27, 2014, 20:00 (3751 days ago) @ bluerunner

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 05:02 (3751 days ago) @ Schooly D

#HBOMB
[image]

#GSML
[image]

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, January 27, 2014, 20:53 (3751 days ago) @ bluerunner

Damn you rich southerners.

HBOhio still undercut you at the grand price of free. Who needs a cabin when you can sleep on my floor!? ;)

Just promise me one thing: This year, Bones shall not escape.

P.S. I lol'd at the Dolly pic. That's gotta be a running joke down there.

Are we seriously going to DollyWorld?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 05:08 (3751 days ago) @ bluerunner

This seems familiar.... like a Party in elevation.... a fiesta on the peaks....

nah must be coincidence.

P.S. You people are turning my life into somekind of vig or megaparty. PAX East then BlueLAN back to back weekends? whatevah #yolo

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 05:22 (3751 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I thought about it, but that's just tacking too much money on. Dollywood is great, and I highly recommmend visiting it, but it's not on the LAN itenerary. Plus I'm more into getting out into the mountains, and they're free.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 05:25 (3751 days ago) @ bluerunner

I went to Dollywood once as a child, my grandma's from Tennessee and we were having a reunion there.

It's a bizarre place, but loads of fun.

Also

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 05:37 (3751 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

This seems familiar.... like a Party in elevation.... a fiesta on the peaks....

nah must be coincidence.

P.S. You people are turning my life into somekind of vig or megaparty. PAX East then BlueLAN back to back weekends? whatevah #yolo

Going to PAX East the weekend before, I will have plenty of swag to give out as prizes in the new better than ever, and totally a thing, Paddy Cup 2014

by Jillybean, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 10:39 (3751 days ago) @ bluerunner

You know . . . if I'm not on call for farrowing, this might actually be doable.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 12:06 (3751 days ago) @ Jillybean

That would be grand!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 16:32 (3750 days ago) @ Jillybean

I've pulled calves while dressed to go out. You can take care of that and make the LAN. We can sit up all night and talk cows.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 16:46 (3750 days ago) @ Jillybean

You must.

Fly in to DC and we'll ride down together. Maybe we'll pick up Duncan or Kermit on the way.

~m

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 19:43 (3749 days ago) @ bluerunner
edited by General Vagueness, Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 19:54

HBOhio still undercut you at the grand price of free. Who needs a cabin when you can sleep on my floor!? ;)

and here I thought I kicked myself enough for missing that

Damn you rich southerners.

[image]

#HBOMB
[image]

#GSML
[image]

A LAN within reasonable driving distance?

I can't commit to attending, but I'll keep my eye on that weekend. Could be fun to pull it off at the last minute if circumstances permit.

what they said, except not
The distance and cost are significantly more doable than HBO MB, but significantly less doable than HBOnes and HBOhio. If it was just the trip, I might possibly have been able to make it. If it was just the cost I might possibly theoretically have been able to make it if I saved up and this was a slightly different parallel universe. With both there's no way, even if I really want it, and I do. Chop down a tree for me, OK?
Also, is there really no way to make this more spaced out without resorting to images or text to just take up space?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 20:18 (3749 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Dang, I guess only Bones will be thrown off a cliff then. Maybe next time.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, January 30, 2014, 09:10 (3749 days ago) @ bluerunner

It's his own fault.

We told him that was a terrible place to setup his hammock.

Whew!

by Bones @, The Last City, Earth, Sol System, Friday, January 31, 2014, 09:07 (3748 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Well, I'll just say this... if you're ever thinking to yourself, "Why would I spend the extra money on the premium hammock that doubles as a makeshift parachute?", stop right there and just do it.

Whew!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, January 31, 2014, 09:13 (3748 days ago) @ Bones

I swapped to hammock camping last year. I thought I would save some money and use some cheap straps I had in my garage. The first night out I had got settled into the hammock and was almost asleep when the straps broke. I went straight down butt-first into some sharp rocks. Not fun.

It is kindda funny, no?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, January 31, 2014, 09:26 (3748 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Count me in.

by ncsuDuncan @, Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 21:19 (3749 days ago) @ bluerunner

Duncan's 2014 Wallet-crushing Travel Plans:
4 Weddings
4 Bachelor Parties
PAX East
PAX Prime
E3

Might as well add a LANboree to that, right? Especially one that's a short, 7-hour drive away. Carpooling is definitely an option.

Let's just hope I still have a job after I use up all of my vacation days and start taking unpaid leave. :P

Yay!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 30, 2014, 09:10 (3749 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I might be able to ride part of the way with you.

Count me in.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, January 30, 2014, 09:47 (3749 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Duncan's 2014 Wallet-crushing Travel Plans:
4 Weddings
4 Bachelor Parties
PAX East
PAX Prime
E3

Might as well add a LANboree to that, right?

Party on, Slurms.
[image]

Transportation Assist?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 31, 2014, 07:20 (3748 days ago) @ bluerunner

I'm in Maine. I'd like to come, if I'll be had. Is there any kind of assistance out there, like, me come to you and then go the rest of the way?

Even if you don't think it'd be helpful, it might be. C'monnnnnnnnnnnnnnn DBO help me out!

LOFTUS! LOFTUS!LOFTUS! LOFTUS!LOFTUS! LOFTUS!LOFTUS! LOFTUS!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, January 31, 2014, 07:44 (3748 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 31, 2014, 07:46 (3748 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

That's actually a good point. He gets to me, we get to someone else/TN.

Eastbound and Down.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, January 31, 2014, 07:48 (3748 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Mostly down though

Eastbound and Down.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 31, 2014, 07:55 (3748 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

And west. I'm like a goddamn pioneer circa 18th Century.

I'm just outside DC.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, January 31, 2014, 14:25 (3747 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Make it here, pitch in for gas (and maybe a shift behind the wheel) and we're good.

~m

I'm just outside DC.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 31, 2014, 14:56 (3747 days ago) @ Malagate

Consider it done, sir.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 31, 2014, 10:54 (3748 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

You'll need to post this elsewhere. I don't think he frequents DBO.

Transportation Assist?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, January 31, 2014, 08:05 (3748 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

If you can get to DC there is a carpool heading down.

Transportation Assist?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 31, 2014, 08:08 (3748 days ago) @ bluerunner

If you can get to DC there is a carpool heading down.

Perfect. I think I can take a train. Let me look into that, but plan on me attending.

We're gonna need a bigger shack.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, January 31, 2014, 08:29 (3748 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

And a lot more moonshine.

(I swear to god, that is NOT an invitation for a paddy's ass and I'll kill you)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 31, 2014, 08:31 (3748 days ago) @ Revenant1988

It's been a long time since the glory of IRL Phisto has been known at a b.org function. There will be fingerless gloves, outrageously inappropriate humor, and a wealth of Mass Effect knowledge at your fingerless-tips.

Gird thyselves.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, January 31, 2014, 08:50 (3748 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm so pumped that you're coming. Be sure to send an email to the lan email so I can keep you updated.

We've got a full shack.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, January 31, 2014, 08:48 (3748 days ago) @ Revenant1988

We're at capacity, but anybody wants to go or is on the fence, please contact the lan email and let me know. I want to get everyone in that I can.

I will establish Camp Tentacious in scenic backyard

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, January 31, 2014, 10:49 (3748 days ago) @ bluerunner

Hope you like coldness and possible exposure

I will establish Camp Tentacious in scenic backyard

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, January 31, 2014, 10:53 (3748 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Dude, you've been to LANs with me. Where do you think I'm sleeping?

I figured you'd up the ante...

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, January 31, 2014, 10:58 (3748 days ago) @ bluerunner

[image]

We've got a full shack.

by petetheduck, Friday, January 31, 2014, 16:39 (3747 days ago) @ bluerunner

We're at capacity, but anybody wants to go or is on the fence, please contact the lan email and let me know. I want to get everyone in that I can.

Sounds like you need to find a bigger venue!

We've got a full shack.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, January 31, 2014, 17:23 (3747 days ago) @ petetheduck

I figured I'd get a dozen or so people. Looks like I way underestimated that. Live and learn.

Still, contact the lan email even of you don't know if you can make it. Plans could change.

Contingency plan

by petetheduck, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 18:25 (3735 days ago) @ bluerunner

Contingency plan

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 18:06 (3734 days ago) @ petetheduck

Dude, that would be so much better than the rock we had to stand in for Snipe. Of course having you there would be even better. :)

I'm sure I can talk Kermit into picking it up on the way.

Contingency plan

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, February 16, 2014, 16:56 (3731 days ago) @ bluerunner

Dude, that would be so much better than the rock we had to stand in for Snipe. Of course having you there would be even better. :)

I'm sure I can talk Kermit into picking it up on the way.

I'd be glad to, but I'd rather have the real duck.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, January 31, 2014, 10:53 (3748 days ago) @ Revenant1988

(I swear to god, that is NOT an invitation for a paddy's ass and I'll kill you)

English, motherfucker, do you speak it?

Paddy's ass do as it want. Call my ass honest abe, cause these hips don't lie.

Nonsense!

by LostSpartan, Friday, January 31, 2014, 18:44 (3747 days ago) @ Revenant1988

If a bunch of clowns can fit in a tiny car, a bunch of us can fit into a cabin.

Why are you repeating yourself?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, January 31, 2014, 21:07 (3747 days ago) @ LostSpartan

- No text -

Train?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, January 31, 2014, 09:31 (3748 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

So when I last mentioned trains as viable transportation to y'all, you're all "I'm not cargo, you funky brazilian!". What is going on?

Train?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, January 31, 2014, 09:35 (3748 days ago) @ ZackDark

New England has some trains, but out here in God's country we don't have time for that nonsense.

Train?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 31, 2014, 10:04 (3748 days ago) @ bluerunner

New England has some trains, but out here in God's country we don't have time for that nonsense.

Yeah, I'm no expert, but there are major train lines all over the east coast. I'm relatively sure I can make it from Portland to DC without too much hassle.

Transportation Assist?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 31, 2014, 10:58 (3748 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Awesome. Look forward to meeting you.

Transportation Assist?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, January 31, 2014, 14:08 (3747 days ago) @ Kermit

I just squee'd a bit on the inside.

The Saga Begins.

by Bones @, The Last City, Earth, Sol System, Friday, January 31, 2014, 13:30 (3748 days ago) @ bluerunner

[image]

And he's bringing cookies.
And if anyone can make the journey to Bones, he'll bring them, too.

The Saga Begins.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, January 31, 2014, 13:33 (3748 days ago) @ Bones

[image]

"Boner Goes South"

You know they make pills to fix that right?

Game of Bones

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, January 31, 2014, 13:49 (3747 days ago) @ Bones

Boner is coming.

The Saga Begins.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 31, 2014, 16:45 (3747 days ago) @ Bones

I'm bringing brownies.

The Saga Begins.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, January 31, 2014, 18:02 (3747 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm bringing brownies.

I've got two 2-foot long rolls of homemade sausage in the freezer, plus some thick cut bacon, and some homemade muscadine jelly. It's killing me to save it until April. We're gonna do some countrified breakfast.

The Saga Begins.

by ncsuDuncan @, Friday, January 31, 2014, 19:37 (3747 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm bringing brownies.

Okay, we should definitely carpool.

I'm only bringing noise and pain.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, January 31, 2014, 19:42 (3747 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- No text -

Yo dawg

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Friday, January 31, 2014, 19:59 (3747 days ago) @ bluerunner

Why don't you wait til after the 27th, so I'll be 21? I know I'll just get drunk off mein arsch anyway, but I'd be more comfortable doing it legally.

Can we hunt some squirrel? Want to try it. Rabbit, too.

Ugh.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 09:53 (3737 days ago) @ bluerunner

Springsteen's in Charlotte on 8/19. You all probably don't realize what a conflict this is. I've seen every Springsteen show in NC since 1981.

Ugh.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 10:14 (3737 days ago) @ Kermit

Springsteen's in Charlotte on 8/19. You all probably don't realize what a conflict this is. I've seen every Springsteen show in NC since 1981.

I'm assuming you mean 4/19 right? :)

Can Blue invite The Boss?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 11:06 (3737 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm sure if we reason with him as All-American dock workers from New Jersey, he'd have to come over.

Ugh.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 11:12 (3737 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm assuming you mean 4/19 right? :)

Yeah.

Ugh.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 11:41 (3737 days ago) @ Kermit

Dang man. I was really looking forward to our meeting across the river where we could talk about our glory days. I suppose doing both would mean that you would have to drive all night. But you might be able to do it. You were born to run.

Ugh.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 12:27 (3737 days ago) @ bluerunner

Dang man. I was really looking forward to our meeting across the river where we could talk about our glory days. I suppose doing both would mean that you would have to drive all night. But you might be able to do it. You were born to run.

I'd miss 9-10 hours of Lanboree time. :(

Ugh.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 08:46 (3736 days ago) @ Kermit

Come to the LAN.

We'll make Paddy sing all his hits. He's good at that stuff.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, it will be like you are there!

Don't make Bones cry...

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread