Pump-action Blues (Destiny)

by Quirel, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 01:03 (3751 days ago)

[image]

Bungie unveiled the Silver Dollar a few months ago, which bummed me out. I said it back then, and I'll say it again: A pump-action shotgun in an FPS isn't something I can get excited about anymore.

The sound of someone pumping a shotgun is universally recognized as, and I quote, "Kiss your ass goodbye". Hand-loading a shotgun is seen as a convenient way to balance its power and distinguish it from other weapons. There's so much tradition behind the pump-action, it's a force of nature.

But when it comes to shotguns, there's just so many wild and wonderful designs out there. It's a crying shame that only Remington 870 clones get the spotlight in our shooters. I'd love to see something truly off the wall. Something extraordinary. Something like this.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you are looking at a twelve-gauge bullpup revolver shotgun. Try to remain calm now. No, no, it's no use throwing your money at me, I don't have an FFL.

Ahem.

[image]

It's a double-action revolver, so you won't be askin' them pilgrims to git off yer land. You will be inviting those punks to make your day.

And the cylinder is actually a clip; you remove it from the gun and swap it out for a loaded cylinder when you run out of shots. To my knowledge, that's a very... unique way of reloading a revolver. IRL, I think there's only been one other mass-produced revolver that functions like that. But we should all be familiar with a fictional revolver with a very similar mechanism.

[image]

So, Bungie... pretty please?

Also: Tactical Velociraptor. Clever girl...

Pump-action Blues

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 05:30 (3750 days ago) @ Quirel

I remember fondly asking in a lobby of HBOers if the Mauler could exist, if something as blissful as a revolver shotgun work out, this was Bluerunner's answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Judge

Pump-action Blues

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 06:09 (3750 days ago) @ Quirel

And the cylinder is actually a clip; you remove it from the gun and swap it out for a loaded cylinder when you run out of shots. To my knowledge, that's a very... unique way of reloading a revolver. IRL, I think there's only been one other mass-produced revolver that functions like that. But we should all be familiar with a fictional revolver with a very similar mechanism.

You can swap the cylinder out to reload most black powder revolvers.

If you want a revolving shotgun, go all out with the Colt Defender Mark 1.
[image]

Pump-action Blues

by Quirel, Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 19:14 (3749 days ago) @ bluerunner

Where can I get one of those?

Neato!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 06:32 (3750 days ago) @ Quirel

I'd love one of the underslung models for my M6 if only to be a complete nerd and pretend it's an M41 or Morita. Though I'm actually really stupid when it comes to anything shotgun. Never really cared for the things.

Neato!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 08:25 (3750 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Never really cared for the things.

[image]

Neato! *GIF*

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 10:18 (3750 days ago) @ Mr Daax

[image]

Neato! *GIF*

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 19:21 (3749 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Which episode is that from? I don't recognize it...

Neato! *GIF*

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 20:23 (3749 days ago) @ Leviathan

The Hounds of Baskerville. Little under 45 minutes in.

Neato! *GIF*

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 21:08 (3749 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

The Hounds of Baskerville. Little under 45 minutes in.

Ah, yes... the memory is being jogged a bit... Guess I need to re-watch them all again!

Neato! *GIF*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 21:17 (3749 days ago) @ Leviathan

Ah, yes... the memory is being jogged a bit... Guess I need to re-watch them all again!

Oh darn. That sounds like TORTURE!

</sarcasm>

Neato!

by Quirel, Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 19:16 (3749 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I'd love one of the underslung models for my M6 if only to be a complete nerd and pretend it's an M41 or Morita. Though I'm actually really stupid when it comes to anything shotgun. Never really cared for the things.

They're a bit of an acquired taste, I guess. I mostly love them in a "You won't believe what I got this thing to shoot!" way.

I like Borderlands's shotguns

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 11:26 (3750 days ago) @ Quirel

[image]
It even has the audacity to have three barrels.
I think it does, however, still have a pump animation/sound effect.
I still has a sad that they didn't bring back the pump-action, revolver sniper rifles from BL1 though...

Lilith + Pheonix + Sledge's Shotgun

by rhubarb, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 22:32 (3750 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

BaboomBoomboombadaBoomboomboomBaboom

[image]

11x341?! For a lvl68?!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 08:23 (3749 days ago) @ rhubarb

- No text -

11x341?! For a lvl68?!

by rhubarb, Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 19:23 (3749 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yeah. The damage is low to balance the extremely high knockback. The highest seems to be 11x347 level 69.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM4pZ7tfCro

Pump-action Blues

by Tawpgun, Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 21:40 (3750 days ago) @ Quirel

Part of the reason is all good FPS's (non realistic) FPS's will have distinct weapon profiles. A shotgun is recognizable and its basic form hasn't been changed much over the years. But I agree with you that I wish some of Destiny's weapons were more unique looking.

Pump-action Blues

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 06:38 (3749 days ago) @ Tawpgun

Part of the reason is all good FPS's (non realistic) FPS's will have distinct weapon profiles. A shotgun is recognizable and its basic form hasn't been changed much over the years. But I agree with you that I wish some of Destiny's weapons were more unique looking.

They tried that with Halo. Then their heirs decided it was a stupid idea and every weapon should just be a copy of another with slightly different stats. Because, ya know, players are stupid.

Pump-action Blues

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 20:24 (3749 days ago) @ RC

They tried that with Halo. Then their heirs decided it was a stupid idea and every weapon should just be a copy of another with slightly different stats. Because, ya know, players are stupid.

I don't see what that has to do with them making new weapons for a new game series now that they're independent again.

Pump-action Blues

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 17:37 (3749 days ago) @ Quirel

I just want to see some nasty CQC weapons. Autoshotguns, primarily, but the stuff a Titan would use to tangle with opponents up close and personal, or something a Warlock would keep in reserve once the enemy closed with him/her.

~m

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread