Three New Articles at Gamelynch (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, February 02, 2014, 11:08 (3746 days ago)
edited by Xenos, Sunday, February 02, 2014, 11:15

Gamelynch has posted 3 new Destiny articles at their site:

A Destiny preview.
An article about Co-op in Destiny.
And an interview with DeeJ about Destiny.

Not a lot of new information I could find, but see what you can glean from them.

Three New Articles at Gamelynch

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 04, 2014, 10:25 (3744 days ago) @ Xenos

This is at least the second time I've heard Andre Tarkovsky's name invoked to describe Destiny. It makes me vaguely uncomfortable and excited at the same time because Tarkovsky is one of my artistic heros, but he's not necessarily someone I would expect to be name-dropped in connection with a video game. Am I biased against video games? Maybe. Can video games be high art? I don't know. The Last of Us got closer than I thought possible, so maybe.

Listening to their list of inspirations is like riding a roller coaster--I've never seen Lost and based on what I know, I have no interest in it. Granted, I can be a snob about things. Can't wait for this game to come out so we can judge it by what it is, and not by what it's inspired by.

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 09:28 (3743 days ago) @ Kermit

I quite enjoyed LOST while it was on the air.

LOST had a strong mythology that was revealed indirectly, many mysteries that kept viewers wanting to see what happened next, and an interesting world & setting. Often each episode ended on some cliffhanger or dramatic story reveal that completely changed what the viewer thought they knew about the story/character/world. The show also had a huge cast of characters with complex relationships.

From everything else Bungie has revealed so far, I assume they want to have a similar feeling of mystery and an expansive, interesting world--reasons for the gamer to keep exploring. They've talked a little about some of the lore & fiction of the world being found in far-off, hidden corners of the world. These things share similarities to LOST.

Finally, I have no idea what kind of TV/movies you like, but you should give the first episode a shot sometime. It's on netflix.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 12:10 (3743 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Finally, I have no idea what kind of TV/movies you like, but you should give the first episode a shot sometime. It's on netflix.

I'm picky about TV. I like few things but tend to like them fiercely. Breaking Bad. Freaks and Geeks. Firefly. The Wire. Mad Men. The last new show I tried to watch was Under the Dome and it bored me--I lost interest halfway through the first season.

I'm all for the objectives that Bungie seems to be going after regarding creating a mysterious universe with a deep backstory, but for me mentioning Tarkovsky brings so many disparate elements to the table that I don't know what they mean when they say they're inspired by him. I guess that's what leaves me perplexed.

Word on the street is that Lost jumped several sharks and ran out of story long before it ended. That's one of the words I've heard from some trusted sources anyway. I've hesitated investing the time for an uncertain pay-off. (I'm way older than most of you.;))

Maybe I'll watch it just so I can have my own informed opinion, though. Thanks for the recommendation.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 13:23 (3742 days ago) @ Kermit

I got through three seasons before falling off the wagon (but that was life's fault, not the show). I'm tossing my lot in with "Kermit should watch the pilot." It'll at least give you an idea of what people are talking about, is good entertainment, and has got a real "Master Chief stepping out of the Bumblebee on Halo OMG WHAT IS ALL THIS?" feel.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 15:49 (3742 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I got through three seasons before falling off the wagon (but that was life's fault, not the show). I'm tossing my lot in with "Kermit should watch the pilot." It'll at least give you an idea of what people are talking about, is good entertainment, and has got a real "Master Chief stepping out of the Bumblebee on Halo OMG WHAT IS ALL THIS?" feel.

All of the above. I say, actually, watch the whole first season. I held on until the bitter (and I mean bitter) end; and while I was disappointed, I think you, Kerm, may not be.

That said, there is some great stuff late in the show that you might appreciate, being of the vintage to have enjoyed one of the best shows on TV, Twin Peaks. Lost borrows a lot from it, in places.

~m

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 15:58 (3742 days ago) @ Malagate

That said, there is some great stuff late in the show that you might appreciate, being of the vintage to have enjoyed one of the best shows on TV, Twin Peaks. Lost borrows a lot from it, in places.

~m

Big David Lynch fan. Remind me to tell you my Twin Peaks story in TN (or on the way there). Tres tragic.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, February 06, 2014, 14:20 (3741 days ago) @ Kermit

Big David Lynch fan. Remind me to tell you my Twin Peaks story in TN (or on the way there). Tres tragic.

Turns out I'll just be flying into Nashville (makes way more sense for me), so, I absolutely insist on hearing this story myself.

Twin Peaks was so great.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, February 06, 2014, 15:44 (3741 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Turns out I'll just be flying into Nashville (makes way more sense for me), so, I absolutely insist on hearing this story myself.

Don't worry, you'll probably hear plenty of stories from Nashville to the mountains.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, February 07, 2014, 15:22 (3740 days ago) @ bluerunner

Don't worry, you'll probably hear plenty of stories from Nashville to the mountains.

THIS IS GONNA BE MAGIC.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread