Activision has high expectations for Destiny (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 06, 2014, 14:58 (3741 days ago)

This of course should be taken with a grain of salt since he was talking to investors, but Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision expects Bungie to be "the best-selling video game in History." What do you guys think? Is Activision being to optimistic? Or do you think Bungie's history of breaking sales records will be repeated, especially now that it'll be selling Destiny on 4 platforms?

GTA V

by Decom @, Thursday, February 06, 2014, 15:58 (3741 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

GTA V

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 06, 2014, 16:09 (3741 days ago) @ Decom

Well if we compare numbers right now for Destiny to numbers for GTA V in February of 2013 (GTA V came out in September, so it works out pretty well), GTA V had 372,107 pre-orders according to VGchartz (I know, not the best source, but pretty much the only one we have) and Destiny has 225,352. Honestly while GTA V has an obvious advantage, that's pretty good for a brand new franchise that is 7 months away. I don't think Destiny will beat GTA V on it's record to a billion, but that doesn't mean it couldn't beat GTA V in more long term records, especially if Bungie has a smoother online launch than Rockstar did.

GTA V

by Decom @, Thursday, February 06, 2014, 16:59 (3741 days ago) @ Xenos

Hmm. I didn't realize Destiny already had that many preorders. But then again, that's the only sure-fire way to get into the beta for Destiny. I'd think that the number accounts for preorder cancellations but if it doesn't, then it would be somewhat inflated (maybe substantially inflated?).

But when I think about GTA, I always think back to one of the girls in my high school class. She was in the popular/preppy crowd and I was talking to her one day and the topic of videogames came up. She said the only game she liked to play was GTA because it let her "run people over and bang hookers". There are so many casual players like her and grandparents who know nothing about videogames that I can't possibly see how Destiny will be able to compete -- even if it wins over the 'gamer' crowd.

GTA V

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, February 06, 2014, 19:02 (3741 days ago) @ Decom

But when I think about GTA, I always think back to one of the girls in my high school class. She was in the popular/preppy crowd and I was talking to her one day and the topic of videogames came up. She said the only game she liked to play was GTA because it let her "run people over and bang hookers". There are so many casual players like her and grandparents who know nothing about videogames that I can't possibly see how Destiny will be able to compete -- even if it wins over the 'gamer' crowd.

I think you're discrediting Bungie's ability to breathe life into an old genre with an exciting new universe. Before Halo: Combat Evolved, I very rarely played shooters. Counter-Strike, Goldeneye, Half-Life, and Perfect Dark were all that I had played for years and I was often bored. Shooters weren't so distasteful after I landed on Halo for the first time.

Look back at Call of Duty. It came into popularity after years of saturation in the Second World War setting. Yeah, these games were very popular, but look at that franchise's explosion after the original Modern Warfare came out. I knew few who even realized that Call of Duty was a thing before that game came out.

When I became a shooter fan a decade or so ago, I would consider myself a casual player, just as many Call of Duty players are today. That doesn't mean that they aren't craving new and exciting experiences they've never seen before. I think Destiny has serious potential to garner the same sort of excitement and passion that games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, and World of Warcraft have brought out in your ordinary, unobsessed gamer.

Also, what makes you think Destiny won't allow us to run people over and bang hookers?

GTA V

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 07, 2014, 10:53 (3741 days ago) @ Xenos

and Destiny has 225,352.

I am amazed, that more people pre-ordered Destiny than even bought Marathon, given how little is actually known about the game.

I don't think that's a valid comparison

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, February 07, 2014, 11:44 (3741 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I mean, how many people even had access to a computer capable of playing Marathon back then?

Heck, how many people had access to the venues which would allow them to even know Marathon existed?

Well, they actually said "Best-selling new IP."

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Thursday, February 06, 2014, 18:22 (3741 days ago) @ Decom

The article title is more than a bit misleading. Of course, even being the best-selling new IP is probably impossible, as some of the best-selling games ever that are the first entries in their series have sold many, many units. Wii Sports is officially the best-selling game ever, and Super Mario Bros. is second place. Both were new IPs. Destiny probably has no real chance of selling the 40+ million it needs to beat SMB, but less the over 80 million it would need to beat Wii Sports. Even if you were to ignore pack-in titles, that would leave Tetris and the original Pokemon video game, both of which sold over 30 million copies. If you go further and don't include games for handhelds, then Destiny does stand a chance of becoming the best-selling new IP that's A) not originally bundled, and B) designed for consoles instead of handhelds. It would have to beat Gran Turismo, and to do that it would need to reach 11 million copies, which I think it could do.

Well, they actually said "Best-selling new IP."

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 06, 2014, 18:25 (3741 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

The article title is more than a bit misleading. Of course, even being the best-selling new IP is probably impossible, as some of the best-selling games ever that are the first entries in their series have sold many, many units. Wii Sports is officially the best-selling game ever, and Super Mario Bros. is second place. Both were new IPs. Destiny probably has no real chance of selling the 40+ million it needs to beat SMB, but less the over 80 million it would need to beat Wii Sports. Even if you were to ignore pack-in titles, that would leave Tetris and the original Pokemon video game, both of which sold over 30 million copies. If you go further and don't include games for handhelds, then Destiny does stand a chance of becoming the best-selling new IP that's A) not originally bundled, and B) designed for consoles instead of handhelds. It would have to beat Gran Turismo, and to do that it would need to reach 11 million copies, which I think it could do.

Ha, they actually fixed the quote after I posted it. Yeah it does seen a lot more doable.

Activision has high expectations for Destiny

by ridum, Friday, February 07, 2014, 02:27 (3741 days ago) @ Xenos

…once Destiny catches fire, world domination will commence…

…others will be left in the dust incl. m$...

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, February 07, 2014, 07:02 (3741 days ago) @ ridum

…once Destiny catches fire, world domination will commence…

…others will be slingshot into the sun incl. m$...

FTFY

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, February 07, 2014, 07:16 (3741 days ago) @ Xenos

Activision expects Bungie to be "the best-selling video game in History."

Huh, I haven't heard of this "Bungie" game, before. Sounds fun.

"Play as a new Bungie employee who has to work his way up the ladder at the studio, through prototypes, alphas, and crunches! The stealth mission into the Ivory Towers will challenge your every skill. And the final boss battle with Jason Jones? Not that hard -- you just have to find him!"

(I guess these kinds of quotes are good for investors? I feel like they build up more resentment, judgmental, and contrarian feelings than positive effects. Halo had gotten so huge, by around 3, there were a large amount of people who hated it even though they had never played it.)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, February 07, 2014, 07:41 (3741 days ago) @ Leviathan

Activision expects Bungie to be "the best-selling video game in History."

I'll take this as another sign I need to get more sleep.

And I would totally buy that game.

Me too!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, February 07, 2014, 07:43 (3741 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

hmm...

by ridum, Friday, February 07, 2014, 07:42 (3741 days ago) @ Leviathan

Is JJ 'the darkness" hmmm…maybe onto something…

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, February 07, 2014, 08:01 (3741 days ago) @ Leviathan

(I guess these kinds of quotes are good for investors? I feel like they build up more resentment, judgmental, and contrarian feelings than positive effects. Halo had gotten so huge, by around 3, there were a large amount of people who hated it even though they had never played it.)

I feel like someone should address this eventually. It seems to be a Halo if not an FPS phenomena. Incurring hatred and resentment from people who have never played said game, but the idea of it is so offensive that this unfounded hatred (or hatred of the existing audience enough to associate the game with the same angst) becomes commonplace opinion.

Heh.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, February 07, 2014, 10:38 (3741 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread