Announcing: The B.ORG March Madness Tournament! (Recruitment)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 17:59 (3725 days ago)

[image]
image created by the wonderfully talented Bones

Hello greater B.org denizens! Today I am proud to announce to you the 1st Bungie.org March Madness tournament!

For this competition, teams will face off with custom settings on Halo 4, designed to emulate Halo 2!

(What can we say- the buzz about Halo 2A has us excited ;D)

Teams

-Players sign up individually, in this thread.
-There will be 8 teams of 4.
-Players will be carefully assigned to a team by the organizers (Rev, Snipe, and Bones) to promote the best balance possible, and ensure that everyone has a chance to win. The goal here is to have intense, close games, the whole way through. Nobody wants to see TSD stomp everything. That's boring.
-Once teams are assigned, they will vote for a captain as a point of contact, and choose a team name (this can be silly, or srs bsns. Whatevs, we won't judge).
-Teams will then be seeded at random.

Rules

-Must be a regular poster on HBO or DBO (semi-regular posters are cool too)
-We’re not looking for just Pros- any skill level is welcome and needed.
-Team captains will arrange one day of the week to play 3 games in Halo 4.
-The games will consist of

(1) game of Competitive Slayer
(1) game of Traditional Objective
(1) Community based game fitting the March Madness theme

-The team who wins the best of these 3 games will be declared the winner of that week’s match and will move higher into the tournament. The loser of the match will continue to be matched against other teams in the lower bracket. *If a team wins the first 2 of 3 games, they are not required to play the final game, but it is encouraged.

-At the end of the tournament, the team with no losses will be declared the victor and shall earn a prize! (Prizes are still in the works, and we’ll announce them when things are official)

When

-Starting Monday March 3rd, running for 3 weeks
-Teams will meet up once a week at a time determined by their respective captains. ---Teams may compete at any time of the day, any day of the week.
-Each matchup for the week will take about an hour overall to form the party and play the 3 games. You’ve got an hour a week to play Halo 4 with your bro’s don’t ya!?
-Results of each match up must be sent to Revenant by a team captain by the end of Sunday each week, 11:59 PM.
*Team captains may simply report the score of each game, or may link to it via waypoint. Screen shots and film clips are encouraged, especially if they highlight great team work or hilarity.

Where

-All games will be played on Halo 4 forged maps. These maps were hand selected and tested by Snipe, myself, and other members of the BORG community for balance. They feature a variety of faithfully crafted remakes from previous Halos as well as a dash of original content, some of which is currently in matchmaking.

The maps and game types will be announced Monday each week, and will be available for download from Revenant and Snipe’s file shares.
*Each team must play the maps and games set forth by the organizers- no substitutions!

Player Traits

All players will play with preset player traits similar to the traits of Halo 2/3. This includes

Enhanced base movement/speed
No sprint
No armor abilities
Preset weapon loadouts

Other things

-This is for the B.ORG community as a whole- it matters not if you are strictly HBO or DBO.
-The goal of this tournament is plain and simple: To have fun.
Meet new friends! And kill them! Talk about Destiny, future Halo, the state of AAA gaming, it’s all good.

-If this goes over well, we are considering making this a more frequent event, playing other games (as they become available of course). Your feedback and participation are appreciated! We are confident that between the two sister sites, we can get 32 of you to make this happen. We can’t do it without you! Even if Halo 4 isn’t your choice game, I’m confident you’ll still have fun with your friends.

Summary

1.) 3 week tournament starts March 3rd
2.) Players sign up individually, will be hand placed on a team by organizers
3.) Teams will meet once a week, play best of 3 predetermined games
4.) Results will be sent to Revenant for weekly re-cap
5.) Winners will progress in the upper bracket until only one remains, losers in the lower bracket.
6.) Prizes TBD.

What now?

If you want to join, reply to this thread with
a.) Your GT
b.) Any questions you may have

Q&A

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 18:04 (3725 days ago) @ Revenant1988

You Q, I'll A.

Announcing: The B.ORG March Madness Tournament!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 22:07 (3725 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I'm in, gamertag is XenosKB, no questions so far, I'll let you know if I think of any.

Ooh Me!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, February 20, 2014, 06:41 (3725 days ago) @ Revenant1988

This sounds like a ton of fun! Count me in!

Gamertag: Speedracer513

Where are you, DBO?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, February 21, 2014, 20:23 (3723 days ago) @ Revenant1988

It's a little one sided :P

Yeah yeah, I know many of us frequent both sites but still, crickets ova here.

Come on out, join us, we need you. 32 players to make this thing work and we are a little over half way now.

Where the admins at? We want you guys too, ya know!

Where are you, DBO?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 09:01 (3723 days ago) @ Revenant1988

You never know with this stuff. Next year you'll be begging HBOers to participate in Destiny March Madness.

Where are you, DBO?

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 09:24 (3723 days ago) @ Kermit

You never know with this stuff. Next year you'll be begging HBOers to participate in Destiny March Madness.

Nah, I imagine that by then the communities will be mostly separated. I'm not interested in Destiny, so I probably won't be around here much.

I was counting on you, Kerm. Why you no play?

Where are you, DBO?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 17:57 (3722 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Nah, I imagine that by then the communities will be mostly separated. I'm not interested in Destiny, so I probably won't be around here much.

I'm not interested in Halo 4 (a game I've actually played).

I'm (90%) joking. You know competitive is not really my thing, but I'm interested because I like the people playing. Would any competitive people really want me to play on their team, though?

I think this is a great idea, and I wish you success with it regardless of whether I can participate. The times are flexible, right? I'd prefer to wrap up by 10 pm EST.

Where are you, DBO?

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 19:06 (3722 days ago) @ Kermit

It's H4 that plays like real Halo.

I'm (90%) joking. You know competitive is not really my thing, but I'm interested because I like the people playing. Would any competitive people really want me to play on their team, though?

It was designed to be balanced for everyone. I'm personally balancing the teams.

I think this is a great idea, and I wish you success with it regardless of whether I can participate. The times are flexible, right? I'd prefer to wrap up by 10 pm EST.

Also designed to be flexible around busy schedules. The ultimate goal here is to get people playing again. Used to be people were online any time I got on, ready to play. Now it's a ghost town.

Where are you, DBO?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 20:33 (3722 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

It's H4 that plays like real Halo.

It was designed to be balanced for everyone. I'm personally balancing the teams.

Also designed to be flexible around busy schedules. The ultimate goal here is to get people playing again. Used to be people were online any time I got on, ready to play. Now it's a ghost town.

Sounds good.

Where are you, DBO?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, February 23, 2014, 07:24 (3722 days ago) @ Kermit

Unlikely.

By that time, Destiny will be on four different consoles.

"Sure Kerm, I'd love to do co-op Destiny night! But I only have Destiny for ____"

It only gets harder from here.

Where are you, DBO?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, February 23, 2014, 10:02 (3721 days ago) @ Revenant1988

That's why I hope we have cross platform saves and we can convince everyone to pick up a 360 copy even if they're primarily playing on another system. I imagine most people will still have their 360.

Where are you, DBO?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, February 23, 2014, 16:26 (3721 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Unlikely.

By that time, Destiny will be on four different consoles.

"Sure Kerm, I'd love to do co-op Destiny night! But I only have Destiny for ____"

You'll just have to wait for your flavor to come up.

Where are you, DBO?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, February 23, 2014, 17:54 (3721 days ago) @ Kermit

This is definitely why I think it's going to take multiple people to organize game nights in the future. I really doubt it's going to happen, but I'm really hoping cross-generation play will be possible, that'll make our game nights a little easier at least.

Where are you, DBO?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, February 23, 2014, 23:57 (3721 days ago) @ Xenos

This is definitely why I think it's going to take multiple people to organize game nights in the future. I really doubt it's going to happen, but I'm really hoping cross-generation play will be possible, that'll make our game nights a little easier at least.

Perhaps. What if I want to play with people in both camps? I'm leaning toward organizing separate co-op nights based on platform if I have the capacity. I don't know. Maybe that's nuts.

So much depends on unknowns--unannounced features, the demographics around here after release, interest, etc. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Where are you, DBO?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, February 24, 2014, 08:03 (3721 days ago) @ Kermit

Perhaps. What if I want to play with people in both camps? I'm leaning toward organizing separate co-op nights based on platform if I have the capacity. I don't know. Maybe that's nuts.

So much depends on unknowns--unannounced features, the demographics around here after release, interest, etc. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Halo 3 was a bit of a golden age, brought on by numerous factors that aren't there right now. Here's hoping consoles go the way of Betamax/VHS at some point, though I'm not optimistic. People keep spending money on the current scheme, and the powers that be seem to have a lot invested in it.

Where are you, DBO?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 24, 2014, 08:23 (3721 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Halo 3 was a bit of a golden age, brought on by numerous factors that aren't there right now. Here's hoping consoles go the way of Betamax/VHS at some point, though I'm not optimistic. People keep spending money on the current scheme, and the powers that be seem to have a lot invested in it.

That's actually how I think of Reach in terms of co-op. There were so many things about it that made it special. Mini-games, easter eggs, unique armor, films, relatively robust netcode.

Where are you, DBO?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, February 24, 2014, 09:43 (3720 days ago) @ Kermit

I agree there. Reach is kind of an extension of the Halo 3 epoch already.

Where are you, DBO?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, February 24, 2014, 08:59 (3721 days ago) @ Kermit

Perhaps. What if I want to play with people in both camps?

Yeah that is a concern for me too. It's going to be a trial and error process for sure.

Where are you, DBO?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 09:04 (3723 days ago) @ Revenant1988

It sounds fun but I don't feel confident in commiting time like that in the next month to a team -I'd be scared I'd let them down! I also have not played Halo 4 in more than a year so that kind of scares me away. :) Maybe if you guys do a Halo 3 version down the line my excitement will force my time tables to open!

Where are you, DBO?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 09:24 (3723 days ago) @ Leviathan

It sounds fun but I don't feel confident in commiting time like that in the next month to a team -I'd be scared I'd let them down! I also have not played Halo 4 in more than a year so that kind of scares me away. :) Maybe if you guys do a Halo 3 version down the line my excitement will force my time tables to open!

I saw this and got excited until I realized that I'm going to be out of town for half of it! Hope it comes together, though; it looks like a lot of fun.

Announcing: The B.ORG March Madness Tournament!

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Sunday, February 23, 2014, 19:34 (3721 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Aah what the hey - I'll sign up.

GT: CaneCutter

- CC

B.O MM Preview Night and prizes.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, February 27, 2014, 17:10 (3717 days ago) @ Revenant1988

A night, where you preview!

On Saturday, March 1st, we'll be holding a preview night where you can come and play the maps and gametypes we'll be using during the tournament (No mods anymore, more on that further down). Reply to this post with your GT and we'll invite you.

What you could win!

These prizes were generously donated by 343i, and that's why we're not using modded content anymore.

• -The first place team will each receive a Champions bundle code.
  • -The second place team will each receive their choice of either male or female Mister Chief avatar codes.
  • -The winner of the lower bracket will receive the Mister Chief codes that weren't chosen by the second place team.

We know it's not much, and many of you already have this stuff, but I don't think there's really anybody playing just for the prizes. If you already have whatever you win, you can at least sell the code.

We're currently at 25/32 players signed up for the tournament. If we don't get the other 7 to join before March 3rd, we'll have to switch it to a 3v3 tourney. We don't want to do that, so please sign up!

[image]

B.O MM Preview Night and prizes.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 28, 2014, 07:51 (3717 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

A night, where you preview!

On Saturday, March 1st, we'll be holding a preview night where you can come and play the maps and gametypes we'll be using during the tournament (No mods anymore, more on that further down). Reply to this post with your GT and we'll invite you.

What you could win!

These prizes were generously donated by 343i, and that's why we're not using modded content anymore.

• -The first place team will each receive a Champions bundle code.
  • -The second place team will each receive their choice of either male or female Mister Chief avatar codes.
  • -The winner of the lower bracket will receive the Mister Chief codes that weren't chosen by the second place team.

We know it's not much, and many of you already have this stuff, but I don't think there's really anybody playing just for the prizes. If you already have whatever you win, you can at least sell the code.

We're currently at 25/32 players signed up for the tournament. If we don't get the other 7 to join before March 3rd, we'll have to switch it to a 3v3 tourney. We don't want to do that, so please sign up!

[image]

Kermit7

B.Org March Madness: TEAMS AND RULES UPDATE

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 18:04 (3714 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Small update to the rules and teams have been assigned.

I'll be posting week 1's games and maps tomorrow.

Swing by this post for more details!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 18:54 (3714 days ago) @ Revenant1988

All right, Snipe. I guess I'll have to carry you through this.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, March 03, 2014, 07:36 (3714 days ago) @ bluerunner

All right, Snipe. I guess I'll have to carry you through this.

And I'll fit right in as the awkward third wheel!

B.Org March Madness: Week 1 posted

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, March 03, 2014, 19:03 (3713 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Week 1 match up are live!

Swing by HBO for more details.

B.Org March Madness: Week 2 posted

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, March 09, 2014, 19:58 (3707 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Get ready to slam, Week 2 is live!

B.Org March Madness: Week 3 is a go!

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, March 17, 2014, 20:23 (3699 days ago) @ Revenant1988

The final week of the B.org Tourny is up! Go check it out and root for Agentfourange or Fistful of Heroes!

The finals

B.Org March Madness: Conclusion!

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, March 24, 2014, 18:33 (3692 days ago) @ Revenant1988

The results of the tourney have been posted to HBO. Go take a look!

Thanks to everyone who participated :)

B.Org MM 2014 Stats & Awards *HUGE IMG*

by Bones @, The Last City, Earth, Sol System, Saturday, April 05, 2014, 07:51 (3681 days ago) @ Revenant1988

[image]

Click here to view the full resolution (1920x18000) image in all its majestic glory.

Loved the awards

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, April 05, 2014, 09:10 (3681 days ago) @ Bones

- No text -

This is awesome.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, April 05, 2014, 11:56 (3680 days ago) @ Bones

- No text -

*Click Here for Detailed Stats*

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Saturday, April 05, 2014, 15:21 (3680 days ago) @ Bones

The link below should take you to the Excel spreadsheet where I compiled all the stats. If you have any issues, let me know.

STATS!

As an FYI, if you played in multiple games for a week, I averaged your score between the two games. There was probably a better way to do it, but I was too tired of trawling Waypoint for all the stats so I took the easy way out.

- CC

P.S. Bones, you rock! You made these stats look real good. Snipe and Revenant, thanks for putting the tourney on. Your tournament was the most fun I've had in Halo in a long time. It rekindled what little bit of competitive flame I have left.

As an EvE player, this was an eyegasm

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, April 05, 2014, 16:18 (3680 days ago) @ CaneCutter

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread