Bungie talks at GDC 2014 (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 20, 2014, 14:26 (3689 days ago)
edited by Kermit, Thursday, February 20, 2014, 14:41

Bungie talks at GDC 2014

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, February 20, 2014, 14:42 (3689 days ago) @ Kermit

Killer Portfolio or Portfolio Killer: Part 1 - Advice from Industry Artists

Looks like we'll have much to talk about next month.

I think if I had all those guys review my portfolio in that session, my body would just decompress and zip away like a leaking balloon.

Bungie talks at GDC 2014

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 20, 2014, 16:44 (3688 days ago) @ Leviathan

I think if I had all those guys review my portfolio in that session, my body would just decompress and zip away like a leaking balloon.

Try to stay tough then. For all our sakes.

Bungie talks at GDC 2014

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, February 21, 2014, 16:07 (3687 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Try to stay tough then. For all our sakes.

Srsly. Don't make us beat some self-esteem into you. ;)

Bungie talks at GDC 2014

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, February 21, 2014, 18:02 (3687 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Beatings are always welcome! I've done so many portfolio reviews in the last few years, from big game studios, to Marvel and DC comics, to Tor publishing and others, and I'm just... exhausted. THOSE felt like beatings! Some of them went great, others awful, and as a whole completely contradicting with one another, hah.

But I try to remember the insights that really resonated with the direction I know I want to go. I'm taking a break from reviews for a while though and just sitting down and putting in the practice and work. Unless I stumble upon somebody awesome at a con I'm at, of course.

What's really interesting is how many comments don't make an impact at first, and instead slowly seep in as you're working months down the line. I feel like I personally have to make the breakthrough on my own, after months of making crap, and that's when I see it. "Oh, that's what he was talking about. This IS so much better..."

Bungie talks at GDC 2014

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 13:43 (3687 days ago) @ Leviathan

Beatings are always welcome! I've done so many portfolio reviews in the last few years, from big game studios, to Marvel and DC comics, to Tor publishing and others, and I'm just... exhausted. THOSE felt like beatings! Some of them went great, others awful, and as a whole completely contradicting with one another, hah.

But I try to remember the insights that really resonated with the direction I know I want to go. I'm taking a break from reviews for a while though and just sitting down and putting in the practice and work. Unless I stumble upon somebody awesome at a con I'm at, of course.

What's really interesting is how many comments don't make an impact at first, and instead slowly seep in as you're working months down the line. I feel like I personally have to make the breakthrough on my own, after months of making crap, and that's when I see it. "Oh, that's what he was talking about. This IS so much better..."

Yeah, I hear something a dozen times and then the 15th time I freaking understand it. I mean, hey, glad to get it, but damn brain. Let's go dawg.

I'm not surprised your portfolios are critiqued in such a random fashion. So much in life is subjective and in the moment - it's hard for me, coming from a significantly more absolutist background, to remember that and just at peace with it. It gets to a point too where the feedback isn't good feedback, and something you should change, but just evidence that the partnership is *not* a good fit.

I read something a while back, by a very old writer that I respect and admire, that was basically, "people send me lots of things to read and if I can't hear a human voice right away, I ignore it completely."

So find your voice and fuck the rest, I guess?

Bungie talks at GDC 2014

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Thursday, February 20, 2014, 16:47 (3688 days ago) @ Kermit

The production process talk would be my main interest.
Coordinating small teams is hard enough in my experience, I'd love to see how they do it for bigger ones, other than a fairly obvious tree structure.

Bungie talks at GDC 2014

by Achronos, Thursday, February 20, 2014, 22:43 (3688 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

The production process talk would be my main interest.
Coordinating small teams is hard enough in my experience, I'd love to see how they do it for bigger ones, other than a fairly obvious tree structure.

Our producers are amazing, and we'd never ship anything without them.

For an interesting comparison after seeing the upcoming production talk, one of our producers gave a production talk in 2009, the slides are still available here: http://halo.bungie.net/inside/publications.aspx#pub18545. That covers how production changed from Halo 1 through Halo 3, you should check that out too if you haven't already.

Sweet.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Saturday, February 22, 2014, 05:43 (3687 days ago) @ Achronos

- No text -

5? Five is good, I can work with 5.

by Spawn ⌂, Friday, February 21, 2014, 20:54 (3687 days ago) @ Kermit

Though, I doubt they will ALL be live streamed. I'm thinking maybe 1 will, the other 4 we'd get information from live blogs and 3rd party review sites about what they're talking with.

it's going to be an awesome month and I hope this information drives everyone up until the beta doors open.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread