Pioneer 10? (Destiny)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, March 02, 2014, 11:24 (3717 days ago)

So, today Bungie posted this on its Destiny channel on G+.

I wonder if it is just a nod to the program, since it is its anniversary, or if it has a deeper link within the Destiny Universe.

Pioneer 10?

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 11:35 (3717 days ago) @ ZackDark

Hmm, those old deep-space probes. Given what they symbolize and represent, a game like Destiny could certainly use their presence poignantly.

Pioneer 10?

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 11:42 (3717 days ago) @ ZackDark

Nice find, I don't really keep up with the Google+ pages. It definitely seems like it could be used in Destiny's story somehow.

Can't see pics. :(

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 12:57 (3717 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Pioneer 10?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 14:05 (3717 days ago) @ ZackDark

The Traveler is Pioneer 10 upgraded by an advanced race of living machines and sent back to its Creator. Right now Bungie calls it the Traveler, but in the game it will be called P'Ner.

Pioneer 10?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 15:43 (3717 days ago) @ bluerunner

V'ger is all like WTF.

Pioneer 10?

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 15:47 (3717 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

V'ger is one of the elder gods, but still lower in the pantheon than Sp'nik

lol

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 15:48 (3717 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

- No text -

Pioneer 10?

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 18:25 (3717 days ago) @ ZackDark

I get an error ("This post could not be found.") when I try to follow that link.

??

Pioneer 10?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 18:51 (3717 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I saw it on their Facebook feed earlier, but I don't see it now. Maybe they took it down.

Transcript for the ones having trouble

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, March 02, 2014, 19:42 (3717 days ago) @ ZackDark

"Launched 3/2/1972, the Pioneer 10 spacecraft reached deep into our system, carrying messages meant for extraterrestrial life."

Followed by an artistic drawing of the probe somewhere close to some outer planet/moon of our solar system.

Transcript for the ones having trouble

by roland ⌂ @, Monday, March 03, 2014, 13:22 (3716 days ago) @ ZackDark

"Launched 3/2/1972, the Pioneer 10 spacecraft reached deep into our system, carrying messages meant for extraterrestrial life."

Followed by an artistic drawing of the probe somewhere close to some outer planet/moon of our solar system.

Info from NASA on Pioneer 10:

Pioneer 10 was the first spacecraft to fly through the asteroid belt, first to fly close to Jupiter and first to cross Neptune's orbit on a course to leave our solar system.

In 1983, Pioneer 10 became the first spacecraft to travel past the orbit of the most distant planet, Neptune. Until its distance from Earth was exceeded on February 17, 1998 by Voyager 1, Pioneer 10 was the most distant human-made object.

It will take more than 2 million years for Pioneer 10 to pass Aldebaran, the nearest star on its trajectory.

It carries a plaque with information about Earth and humans.

I also enjoyed this fact about Pioneer 10's final destination, Aldebaran, from Wikipedia:

From the aboriginal culture in the Clearance River of northeastern New South Wales, Aldebaran is the "Ancestor Karambal", who stole another man's wife. The woman's husband tracked him down and burned the tree in which he was hiding. It is believed that he rose to the sky as smoke and became the star Aldebaran.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread