Share Destiny your own way (HDCP Capture) (DBO)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, March 15, 2014, 14:38 (3695 days ago)

So we all know that the best version of Destiny will be on a Sony console. And we all know you want to share videos and stuff right? But Sony's consoles have HDCP enabled, blocking your ability to record over HDMI. What do you do?

Simple. Get a View HD VHD-1X2MN3D two port powered HDMI splitter. Running your signal through that strips the HDCP, and lets you record using HDMI. If the PS4 video sharing doesn't do it for you, pick one of those up! The model number is important. Other models don't strip.

It's been working flawlessly on my PS3 and PS4 so far. It's 18 bucks or so, so pick it up and never have to worry.

l33t h4xx0rz

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, March 15, 2014, 14:58 (3695 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Embrace the asterisk

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, March 15, 2014, 15:34 (3695 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So we all know that the best version of Destiny will be on a Sony console. And we all know you want to share videos and stuff right? But Sony's consoles have HDCP enabled, blocking your ability to record over HDMI.

Frame delays?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, March 15, 2014, 17:53 (3695 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I was looking into this exact model a while back, glad to hear that it works well. I didn't purchase one because I wasn't able to find any conclusive reports about frame delays introduced by the stripping process, and since this is for gaming, that tends to be fairly important. Do you notice any input lag when playing through the device?

I'm also hoping that Sony follows through with their plan to disable HDCP for games.

Frame delays?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, March 15, 2014, 18:04 (3695 days ago) @ Beorn

I was looking into this exact model a while back, glad to hear that it works well. I didn't purchase one because I wasn't able to find any conclusive reports about frame delays introduced by the stripping process, and since this is for gaming, that tends to be fairly important. Do you notice any input lag when playing through the device?

None.

I'd buy that for a dollar

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Sunday, March 16, 2014, 15:30 (3694 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Share Destiny your own way (HDCP Capture)

by urk, Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 09:11 (3691 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by urk, Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 09:14

Believe the next update turns HDCP off, and enables saving share clips to USB. DIY is still awesome, though, and the way I was set up for both video and audio, even when I had stuff like theater mode at my disposal. Felt more like Batman.

Edit: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/03/19/new-ps4-update-add-share-enhancements-hdcp/

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 09:58 (3691 days ago) @ urk

Believe the next update turns HDCP off, and enables saving share clips to USB. DIY is still awesome, though, and the way I was set up for both video and audio, even when I had stuff like theater mode at my disposal. Felt more like Batman.

Edit: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/03/19/new-ps4-update-add-share-enhancements-hdcp/

Haven't seen any PS4 Share footage yet, but I've been exceptionally disappointed with the video quality of my Xbox One’s self-capture feature (case in point: http://1drv.ms/1ddklvM ).

Capture to the computer with dedicated hardware is still the only way to go, so Sony finally disabling HDCP for games is great. I just wish my Game Capture HD allowed me to save the bitstream audio rather than decoded stereo. :-\

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 10:06 (3691 days ago) @ Beorn

Haven't seen any PS4 Share footage yet, but I've been exceptionally disappointed with the video quality of my Xbox One’s self-capture feature (case in point: http://1drv.ms/1ddklvM ).

Definitely agree. I hope the upcoming update improves it significantly, but I'm still planning on buying a Game Capture HD. Here is a PS4 clip I recorded using the built in recorder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Dprxg15Ps

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 14:18 (3691 days ago) @ Xenos

Definitely agree. I hope the upcoming update improves it significantly

Seems that's what they're planning for the April update. To what degree remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, it's good to hear Sony's getting rid of HDCP. Should make things better for their users. My understanding is that XBone disables it for games but enables it for Blu-Ray.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 19:09 (3691 days ago) @ stabbim

My understanding is that XBone disables it for games but enables it for Blu-Ray.

Right, and the 360 does this as well (but for DVD/HD-DVD, obviously). It's crazy that Sony never did this for PS3, but I'm happy it's coming for PS4. I have a slight hesitation about the ambiguity of it being an "option" (whose option, ours? Sony's? Developers'?), but I'm excited about the opportunity for high-quality captures on both platforms.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 20:38 (3691 days ago) @ Beorn
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 20:49

Capture to the computer with dedicated hardware is still the only way to go, so Sony finally disabling HDCP for games is great. I just wish my Game Capture HD allowed me to save the bitstream audio rather than decoded stereo. :-\

Don't feel bad: nobody can do this regardless of what setup they have. The only option is to have a hardware decoder, and then capture the decoded audio, or else set your PS3/PS4 to only output 6 or 8 channel LPCM. (XBox 360 cannot do more than two channels of LPCM. Does anybody know about the Xbox One?)

Even then, you either need a multichannel firewire / usb audio device to capture separately, or a capture card that takes more than 2 channels over HDMI. Both are expensive.

Something you may be able to do on the cheap is to buy 3 speaker wire to RCA adapters, and use them to get the 6 analog outs off of any random decoder (or just buy RCA cables if your decoder already has 6 RCA outs), then buy a few cheap stereo audio capture devices and aggregate them as one in the OS X MIDI utility. I have not tried this, but it theoretically should work and save you hundreds of dollars.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 22:08 (3691 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Don't feel bad: nobody can do this regardless of what setup they have. The only option is to have a hardware decoder, and then capture the decoded audio, or else set your PS3/PS4 to only output 6 or 8 channel LPCM. (XBox 360 cannot do more than two channels of LPCM. Does anybody know about the Xbox One?)

Even then, you either need a multichannel firewire / usb audio device to capture separately, or a capture card that takes more than 2 channels over HDMI. Both are expensive.

Something you may be able to do on the cheap is to buy 3 speaker wire to RCA adapters, and use them to get the 6 analog outs off of any random decoder (or just buy RCA cables if your decoder already has 6 RCA outs), then buy a few cheap stereo audio capture devices and aggregate them as one in the OS X MIDI utility. I have not tried this, but it theoretically should work and save you hundreds of dollars.

I don't feel bad, I just wish it were an option. I'm sort of surprised that NOBODY has that solution, but maybe there's a licensing issue there or something. And no, I don't want it badly enough to rig that setup together. ;-)

As for XBO, the audio output options changed with the March update, and I'm not sure if we can choose 6-channel PCM like we can on PS3/4 (and I can't check because I'm away from my Xbox for a week).

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread