Bungie Weekly Update 3/21/2014 (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, March 21, 2014, 15:05 (3690 days ago)

Bungie has released their weekly update, light on details, but full of tease. Go read it.

2 Things caught my eye.

by Fuertisimo, Friday, March 21, 2014, 15:53 (3690 days ago) @ Xenos

"Spawn: What happens when your entire Fireteam dies?"

The darkness consumes you. -- could be reference to the mysterious 5th race from the mood board, the one all the way on the right in yellow.

[image]

"Im SteelAssassn: Will there be any support specialization for Guardians like healing or damage buffs for allies?"

"...it could be said that every player of Destiny can fill a support role. That’s the essence of teamwork, after all. Our designers have conceived some intriguing ways to reward you for fighting alongside your friends, instead of just nearby them. It may surprise you to learn that you’ve seen these mechanics in action, but we’ve yet to see anyone call attention to them."

Evidently we haven't been looking closely enough at things right in front of our faces.

2 Things caught my eye.

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Friday, March 21, 2014, 17:19 (3690 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

So now we all get to meticulously re-watch all released Destiny footage. There goes my weekend.

Unique per person or per life?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, March 21, 2014, 20:51 (3690 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

"Im SteelAssassn: Will there be any support specialization for Guardians like healing or damage buffs for allies?"

"...it could be said that every player of Destiny can fill a support role. That’s the essence of teamwork, after all. Our designers have conceived some intriguing ways to reward you for fighting alongside your friends, instead of just nearby them. It may surprise you to learn that you’ve seen these mechanics in action, but we’ve yet to see anyone call attention to them."

Evidently we haven't been looking closely enough at things right in front of our faces.

Well...

• Heart of Fusion's super ability is Radiance, a power that revives and buffs the player's allies.[image]

• Circle of Night's super ability is Nova Bomb, a ranged attack that devastates multiple enemies with a field of energy.

Just from those two tidbits of data it can be discerned a possable degree of the mechanics implied from DeeJ's post . . . or maybe it's the ability to sit and watch the virtual sun set. Good times.

Wa-Evs. We all will get to gander about these things in about 80 days time anyway.

For me in this update there is something that has increasingly perplexed me, that I would like to bring to point. (Hence the Subject line)

Imagine a world in which very specific moments of action become available to you when you least expect them. Unique missions, with unique rewards, will present themselves. Emissaries appear for a short period of time. Then, they’re gone, like the spirit of a Fallen Captain, carried away by the wind.

If you’ve impressed them, perhaps you’ll have earned a memento. “Where did you get that?!” people will say, provoking you to recount your tales of bravery.

These limited engagements are just one of the things we’re doing to bring the world of Destiny to life. Just when you think you know everything about the worlds you’re fighting to reclaim, we hope Destiny will continue to surprise you as you wander, even when you’re carving a bright line between two points, off on your own adventures. These surprises will bring with them fresh opportunities to venture into the wild with your favorite weapon slung across your back, the promise of fresh loot to make you even more badass.

If one of the tenants of Destiny is to be playable be it for 20 Minutes or 20 Hours, how are they going to have such things balanced in the long run so that we don't have situations where a person can go an tell weather or not someone works long hours for a living. The example being "See that person over there, head to toe unique - goes to school. See that person over there - obviously works and has kids." Its a 100 unique v 1 unique idea.

Furthermore since everything is so connected - I know we will have posts here that will be "The Crow wants us to talk to some locals in the wild - gave us this shiny gun" or "Oh -------- Is happening on Mercury. Reinforcements Needed", and it will suck because I would like to join up - but things need to be done. Then in time the question - as they seem to want - "Where did you get that?" Oh we got this stuff from our Mission on Mercury, too bad man - its really cool. /Fun

It's not that I doubt Bungie, it's that I have a question - and I get answers to questions... or else. >:)

Cryptic DeeJ is cryptic.

by Spawn ⌂, Saturday, March 22, 2014, 05:58 (3689 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

I'll take the answer, I'm curious to see how dying plays out. What do you lose? Loot? Longer cool-down on special abilities? Do you have to run your way back to your body? Where is the "last checkpoint"? Do you go back to start and collect $200?

Cryptic DeeJ is cryptic.

You missed the most important line!

by electricpirate @, Saturday, March 22, 2014, 19:58 (3689 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

He gives us a BIG hint as to where to look,

Do we have a support player in our midst? You and I are birds of a feather, my good man.

While some Guardians are built to be more aggressive than others, it could be said that every player of Destiny can fill a support role. That’s the essence of teamwork, after all. Our designers have conceived some intriguing ways to reward you for fighting alongside your friends, instead of just nearby them. It may surprise you to learn that you’ve seen these mechanics in action, but we’ve yet to see anyone call attention to them.

That’s not Glimmer, David.

Contained is a link to this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQFmob-vsM#t=1891

(need to watch for about a minute) At that point you see two things, enemies die and blue orbs appear, and a chest is open and blue crystals appear. Obviously these are *two* different things.

That opens up a few interesting design ideas on how to get people to play together...

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread