Is there a "real" meaning to Destiny? (Destiny)

by Avateur @, Friday, April 25, 2014, 14:00 (3662 days ago)

In Marathon, the UESC Marathon is a ship. In Halo, there's the Halo installations. What do you think Destiny corresponds with in this future tale? A ship? Something alien? Something we must reclaim?

Become Legend.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, April 25, 2014, 14:02 (3662 days ago) @ Avateur

Duh.

Edit: Really though - I think this Trademark for Destiny says everything. As we look forward we shall wonder. When we look back we will understand.

/Poetry

Destiny is the name of the Security Officer.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, April 25, 2014, 14:19 (3662 days ago) @ Avateur

Destiny is a pretty cool guy.

Is there a "real" meaning to Destiny?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 19:55 (3660 days ago) @ Avateur

In Marathon, the UESC Marathon is a ship. In Halo, there's the Halo installations. What do you think Destiny corresponds with in this future tale? A ship? Something alien? Something we must reclaim?

[image]

I agree with Cody.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 21:56 (3660 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Avateur @, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 22:24 (3660 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I can't remember who, but someone pointed out this connection early on either at HBO or here at DBO, but it makes me wonder. You have INSANEdrive's point about becoming Legend, as all of the marketing is implying. Not much of anything really about us being Destiny, real or implied, you know?

I guess what I'm wondering is if Bungie views being Destiny and becoming Legend as one and the same, or if there is some difference. I like the idea of the connection back to Marathon being what Destiny really is. I think it's far more awesome and significant than just becoming Legend, whatever that is.

Then again, Legend could be something that has yet to be explored in Destiny terminology and mythos. Maybe it will be something we're trying to become beyond a marketing slogan. Maybe Legend and Destiny aren't interchangeable in this universe.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 22:59 (3660 days ago) @ Avateur

I like the idea of the connection back to Marathon being what Destiny really is.

I will drop Bungie in a heartbeat if they so much as touch Marathon.

by Avateur @, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 01:02 (3660 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I meant that I like the idea of the "You Are Destiny" being the meaning. That's what I meant by the idea of the connection back to Marathon being what Destiny "really" is. Not implying putting it in the same universe as Marathon or using Destiny as a way to make more Marathon games.

by Quirel, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 02:58 (3660 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

Heh. Just finished that game two days ago, and I'm still not sure what I played.

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Monday, April 28, 2014, 13:21 (3659 days ago) @ Avateur

My problem with most MMOs (Im sorry, a "shared-world FPS/MMO") is that the endgame doesn't have to be as clear or as defined as with campaign-based games like HALO and Marathon. Part of keeping everyone playing the game involves an element of mystery being left in the story for you to keep logging back in...

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread