I am slightly worried... (Destiny)

by Hyokin, New York, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 10:15 (3649 days ago)

So I saw this tweet from Pete(ha) last night and it got me worried.
[image]
I haven't actually seen or heard whatever interview that Pete is talking about, but it doesn't bold well for Destiny Customs Night being a thing.

Admittedly, We're already having a tough time getting a lobby together every week...

I am slightly worried...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 11:25 (3649 days ago) @ Hyokin

So I saw this tweet from Pete(ha) last night and it got me worried.
[image]
I haven't actually seen or heard whatever interview that Pete is talking about, but it doesn't bold well for Destiny Customs Night being a thing.

Admittedly, We're already having a tough time getting a lobby together every week...

I think Pete is aching to know about a Forge-like tool the way I'm aching to know about films. I don't they're ready to confirm or deny yet.

Based on the following thread I'd say Pete is discouraged but I remain hopeful.

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=21787

There is a duck hunting pun in there somewhere.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 12:15 (3649 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

I am slightly worried...

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 11:31 (3649 days ago) @ Hyokin

Destiny is going to be a very different game from Halo, if Forge doesn't make all that much sense, I don't see a reason they would have to force it in.

I like Forge, but not at the expense of a more focused game.

I am slightly worried...

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 11:41 (3649 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I'm with you on this.

I am slightly worried...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 14:00 (3649 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm with you on this.

Theater mode, however, is a different matter.

I am slightly worried...

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 07:38 (3648 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm with you on this.

Yes, between the two, I think Theater is more important.

I am slightly worried...

by Hyokin, New York, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 15:22 (3648 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm with you on this.

I think we can all agree on that.

I am slightly worried...

by petetheduck, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 15:38 (3648 days ago) @ Hyokin

I'm with you on this.

You thought wrong. Forge adds content, INFINITE content, while Theater simply allows you another method of digesting existing content. I accept that certain people may find Theater more important to their personal method of consumption, but I can't see how someone can say Forge is less important overall.

I am slightly worried...

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 16:41 (3648 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm with you on this.

You thought wrong. Forge adds content, INFINITE content, while Theater simply allows you another method of digesting existing content. I accept that certain people may find Theater more important to their personal method of consumption, but I can't see how someone can say Forge is less important overall.

I would expect we might see at some point a neutered version of Grognok for creating PvP arenas. No huge areas to run around in a la Forge World, but I can certainly live with a scaled-down treatment if I always have the option to go out exploring and get lost.

Ultimately, I do agree that theater mode is more important. The ability to do machinima and pore over replays of Raids/Strikes in order to strategize, etc. trumps fan creation. But I can't imagine that segment of the community would really be left out in the cold.

~m

I am slightly worried...

by petetheduck, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 06:10 (3646 days ago) @ Malagate

Ultimately, I do agree that theater mode is more important. The ability to do machinima and pore over replays of Raids/Strikes in order to strategize, etc. trumps fan creation. But I can't imagine that segment of the community would really be left out in the cold.

~m

What you're talking about here can exist without Theater mode. You CAN do machinima and replays from a first person perspective--look at Rooster Teeth, look at Twitch. But you can't create any new experiences without Forge.

I am slightly worried...

by petetheduck, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 06:14 (3646 days ago) @ petetheduck

~m

What you're talking about here can exist without Theater mode. You CAN do machinima and replays from a first person perspective--look at Rooster Teeth, look at Twitch. But you can't create any new experiences without Forge.

Oh and by the way, what do people use to build those Machinima sets?

Forge. My favorite thing makes yours better.

Machinima series like Playtime rely on Forge to the extent that I would say they wouldn't have existed without it.

:P

I am slightly worried...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 09:23 (3646 days ago) @ petetheduck

Oh and by the way, what do people use to build those Machinima sets?

Forge. My favorite thing makes yours better.

Machinima series like Playtime rely on Forge to the extent that I would say they wouldn't have existed without it.

:P

Point taken. I want both, but here's the thing: I see theater mode as requiring less effort, and it's in danger of being displaced by the capturing features built into the new consoles. I would view Bungie not including it as an ominous sign going forward.

Forge requires more development to create the tools and the spaces in which to use the tools. I want it, but not at the expense of theater, which again, creates more content that generates interest in the game. You've turned forging into an art, and I love that stuff. On the other hand, I love being a war photographer. I loved creating multimedia write-ups of community events. I loved creating a comic book. I wouldn't have had those experiences without theater mode.

EDIT: I hit submit too soon.

I am slightly worried...

by Hyokin, New York, Monday, May 05, 2014, 06:59 (3647 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm with you on this.

Okay, maybe I should just toss this old thing out already:
[image]
I would prefer theater, but only ever so slightly, over Forge. That doesn't mean I don't absolutely love Forge and map design, obviously CC wouldn't have been a thing for four-years if I didn't, and it's very much like trying to choose a favorite child for me.

Since just about everyone is getting a PS4 who regularly plays Customs, it would be really awkward for us if we couldn't create and play games every week. I am mostly taking the wait and see approach, hence why I haven't upgraded to NEXTGEN yet.

Halo 5 might end up being a thing.

"That is the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom."

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, May 05, 2014, 08:56 (3647 days ago) @ Hyokin

- No text -

I am slightly worried...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 05, 2014, 08:26 (3647 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm with you on this.

No forge would be a great loss, I agree--especially for map-building geniuses such as yourself. They both can add infinite content, BTW. I was speaking more to Paddy's point about a more focused game. Forge might not fit into the content that they have planned for launch. Custom maps don't fit as neatly into the shared-world paradigm as well as they did for the Halo series.

Theater mode, on the hand, doesn't affect gameplay, but as I've said many times during the 343 theater mode downgrade, it serves as a perpetual promotion machine for the game. Also, there are probably more aspiring filmmakers and photographers than architects.

I am slightly worried...

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, May 05, 2014, 21:26 (3647 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm with you on this.

In my experience with Reach, a lot of that "infinite" content was utter crap, and its implementation soured me on the entire game. Have that again for Destiny? Lol no thanks.

I am slightly worried...

by petetheduck, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 06:08 (3646 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm with you on this.

In my experience with Reach, a lot of that "infinite" content was utter crap, and its implementation soured me on the entire game. Have that again for Destiny? Lol no thanks.

Should YouTube cease to exist because most of its "infinite" content is utter crap?

I am slightly worried...

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 07:28 (3646 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm with you on this.

Should YouTube cease to exist because most of its "infinite" content is utter crap?

YouTube wasn't implemented into Reach matchmaking. No one makes you watch the crap in order to use the service, especially the parts of the service you paid for.

That aside, maybe.

I am slightly worried...

by petetheduck, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 08:44 (3646 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm with you on this.

YouTube wasn't implemented into Reach matchmaking. No one makes you watch the crap in order to use the service, especially the parts of the service you paid for.

That aside, maybe.

Hey, I'm with you--I distinctly remember playing traditional multiplayer in Halo: Reach and wishing there was a playlist that only featured developer maps.

That's not Forge's fault. The solution for that is not to remove Forge.

I am slightly worried...

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 09:06 (3646 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm with you on this.

That aside, maybe.

Hey, I'm with you--I distinctly remember playing traditional multiplayer in Halo: Reach and wishing there was a playlist that only featured developer maps.

That's not Forge's fault. The solution for that is not to remove Forge.

Yeah, I see now, and agree. My problem was the implementation, not Forge itself. And you and Bones have created some of my favorite Reach experiences.

I'd say a more convincing argument for me is that it allows folks like you to have fun, make some cool stuff, and also gives folks a Minecraft like play space to just do whatevers.

I am slightly worried...

by Avateur @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 22:28 (3645 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I find it funny that in Halo 4, the maps were god awful terrible, but community maps really, really improved the game. I also find it funny how badly people are pushing in this thread for theater in Destiny when they were either okay or very, very silent with its gutting in H4. But whatever.

I am slightly worried...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 23:32 (3645 days ago) @ Avateur

I always like real maps better than community maps. And I hate that there seems to be this "I'm right you're wrong" thing surrounding Forge and Theater. We all want them both. Can't we keep it at that?

I am slightly worried...

by Avateur @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 23:36 (3645 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I always like real maps better than community maps. And I hate that there seems to be this "I'm right you're wrong" thing surrounding Forge and Theater. We all want them both. Can't we keep it at that?

That's exactly what I'm getting at. Real maps and game worlds are great, but sometimes community things really, really shine and improve a game substantially. Theater, especially with how I was able to utilize it in H3 and Reach, is also so important and great that it just can't be stated enough. To disregard either, in my opinion, is so unbelievably foolish.

Edit elaboration: When I say to disregard either, I'm not talking about Bungie. I'm talking about the "I'm right you're wrong" thing going on here. Bungie's gonna do what they're gonna do and I guess that's that as far as either of these features go, though hopefully they'll listen to the love and demand for both and provide the supply.

I am slightly worried...

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 06:30 (3644 days ago) @ Avateur

Forge or Theater is a bit of a false choice, yes. Hmm.

I am slightly worried...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 05:39 (3644 days ago) @ Avateur

I find it funny that in Halo 4, the maps were god awful terrible, but community maps really, really improved the game. I also find it funny how badly people are pushing in this thread for theater in Destiny when they were either okay or very, very silent with its gutting in H4. But whatever.

Completely untrue.

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive39.pl?read=1159607

I am slightly worried...

by Avateur @, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 16:21 (3644 days ago) @ Kermit

lol that thing where you call a statement about multiple posters completely untrue based on your own single individual post pre-H4. Word.

I am slightly worried...

by petetheduck, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 16:31 (3644 days ago) @ Avateur

lol that thing where you call a statement about multiple posters completely untrue based on your own single individual post pre-H4. Word.

Hey remember when Hedge said he wasn't going to buy Halo 4 because it didn't have campaign theater?

sounds like he wasn't okay with it

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 17:16 (3644 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

I am slightly worried...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 17:13 (3644 days ago) @ Avateur
edited by Kermit, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 17:38

lol, there are multiple posters in the thread I linked to, friend. I thought I'd link to mine since I've been among the most vocal here.

But okay, to say "completely" may have been an overstatement.

Although I'm certainly capable of contradicting myself, I've been very consistent about my desire for theater mode in campaign. It came up quite a bit before and after the launch of Halo 4, and it's one of the biggest reasons I was disappointed with the game. 343 improved on what they knew they could improve--the graphics, but in the process compromised object permanence and theater mode (which became problematic in campaign where every resource was focused on making everything look good seven feet off the ground in the playable space).

I am slightly worried...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 19:38 (3644 days ago) @ Avateur

There's actually been quite a sum of posts complaining about the lack of campaign theater at HBO over the last year and a half, as well as posts full of hope when it was speculated as a patch, and then more sad remarks when it was confirmed it wasn't happening. :)

And I've mentioned personally numerous times that even if I had wanted to make a Halo 4 related comic, without a campaign theater for reference it wouldn't have happened, as it was vital to Fistful of Arrows' creation.

I'd love for it to be in Destiny, but I understand if they need to get their boots on the ground first and spend all their resources nailing the core game.

I am slightly worried...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 08:40 (3646 days ago) @ petetheduck

Sometimes I read the YouTube comments and think that it should cease to exist, for the sake of humanity.

I think the argument over which is more important is silly. They're both great things for different reasons.

Right now I hope Bungie is working on making the core game the best it can be. After that, they can spend more time polishing these other features. Since they've already got the engine and tools ready for the next 10 years, hopefully they can devote more resources and time after Destiny launches.

I am slightly worried...

by petetheduck, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 08:46 (3646 days ago) @ bluerunner

Sometimes I read the YouTube comments and think that it should cease to exist, for the sake of humanity.

I think the argument over which is more important is silly. They're both great things for different reasons.

Right now I hope Bungie is working on making the core game the best it can be. After that, they can spend more time polishing these other features. Since they've already got the engine and tools ready for the next 10 years, hopefully they can devote more resources and time after Destiny launches.

It is silly, but I don't know what people expect from me when they say this stuff :P

I know right?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 09:08 (3646 days ago) @ petetheduck

It is silly, but I don't know what people expect from me when they say this stuff :P

I mean, nothing is ever silly enough for the internet to simply drop it. :p

That being said, I, sadly, have a lot more time available to watch videos of than to actually play games, so I'd vote for Theater if it came to that.

I know right?

by petetheduck, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 09:14 (3646 days ago) @ ZackDark

I mean, nothing is ever silly enough for the internet to simply drop it. :p

That being said, I, sadly, have a lot more time available to watch videos of than to actually play games, so I'd vote for Theater if it came to that.

I was never attempting to debate personal preference--I hope people got that.

Sure thing, Cody *NM*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 11:45 (3646 days ago) @ petetheduck

;D

Sure thing, Cody *NM*

by Hyokin, New York, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 08:28 (3645 days ago) @ ZackDark

[image]

I am slightly worried...

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 15:12 (3649 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Destiny is going to be a very different game from Halo

I think you've said all that needs to be said.

I am slightly worried...

by ridum, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 05:24 (3648 days ago) @ kanbo

I was just kinda expecting Destiny to NOT have the new GROkROG NOK or whatever the new forge is ready to go in the 1st Destiny but maybe for the 2nd would be logical…

…bungie's reaction to players interest may encourage inclusion in D2.

I am slightly worried...

by Hyokin, New York, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 15:24 (3648 days ago) @ kanbo

That pretty much sums up my feelings on it.

As much as I would like a map editor, I would prefer that Bungie spend more time making Destiny amazing-er...er.

I am slightly worried...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 17:03 (3648 days ago) @ Hyokin

As much as I would like a map editor, I would prefer that Bungie spend more time making Destiny amazing-er...er.

Forge also didn't show up till Halo's third installment. Who knows what future iterations of Destiny will build upon the core experience?

I am slightly worried...

by Hyokin, New York, Monday, May 05, 2014, 07:01 (3647 days ago) @ Leviathan

Forge also didn't show up till Halo's third installment. Who knows what future iterations of Destiny will build upon the core experience?

That's a good point.

Once we see how Destiny (and the beta) works out and plays, I will call an assembly of the CC dark ones and discuss our plans for the future.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread