Beta in July According to GameInformer (Destiny)

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:06 (3653 days ago)
edited by DaDerga, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:26

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/05/06/destiny-public-beta-coming-in-july.aspx

Seems we now have a fairly concrete date. (month anway)
Edit; added qualifier in parenthesis.

Beta in July According to GameInformer

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:15 (3653 days ago) @ DaDerga

Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg says that the game is on track for release on September 9 and may set a record for the largest numbers of pre-orders for a new IP. Players will get access to the public beta in July.

It'd be cool to see a link to an actual quote or something. Maybe now that it's out, Bungie will cave and say for sure?

Then again, when was the last time Bungie said anything for sure?

Indeed

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:18 (3653 days ago) @ kanbo

Yeah, an actual quote would be an immense help.

It is as Schooly D foretold!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:16 (3653 days ago) @ DaDerga
edited by INSANEdrive, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:32

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/05/06/destiny-public-beta-coming-in-july.aspx

Seems we now have a fairly concrete date.

The end is nigh!

Edit: Another Source to reporting the month of July as being the beta date here. Apparently is was made known during the Activision Q1 FY14 conference call. I'm not sure this is how Bungie wanted to reveal such a prime cut of info, regardless its done.

The Transcript is not up yet - and even if it is I don't know if its for public consumption (without some sort of account).

Nice!

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:19 (3653 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:29 (3653 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:34 (3653 days ago) @ Schooly D

See you suckers in July!

You won't be seeing those of us playing on the PS3 or PS4 :-p

bungininjaness

by ridum, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 16:02 (3653 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Bungie ninja ness cannot be under estimated at this point . . . we know that we 'found out' about destiny through and activision 'memo' as well now a conference call??

hmmm…maybe to take the focus off a bungie and let pappa publisher be the leaker … hmmm… what do I know …

just happy to K N O W

Bungie Day

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:28 (3653 days ago) @ DaDerga

Has to be. Why would it be at any other time? :O

A good bet.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:30 (3653 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

- No text -

The Safest Bet There Is

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:31 (3653 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

But the real question is...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:39 (3653 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

...will it be on Bungie Day for Playstation or for everyone else after Playstation has had their exclusive time?

Hmmm...

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:40 (3653 days ago) @ Xenos

You bring up a very good point.

Prediction

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:52 (3653 days ago) @ DaDerga

July 1 for PlayStation, July 7 for everybody.

Prediction

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:57 (3653 days ago) @ bluerunner

Could be. Makes sense anyhow.

Prediction

by petetheduck, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:58 (3653 days ago) @ DaDerga

Could be. Makes sense anyhow.

I'm really hoping the exclusivity is only a day or two. A whole week is a real dick move.

Prediction

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 15:04 (3653 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm really hoping the exclusivity is only a day or two. A whole week is a real dick move.

Well for me at least I think that depends on how long the beta is. If they get an extra week for a six week beta, not as big of a deal as an extra week for a one week beta.

Prediction

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 15:54 (3653 days ago) @ Xenos

Well for me at least I think that depends on how long the beta is. If they get an extra week for a six week beta, not as big of a deal as an extra week for a one week beta.

Unless there's a solid technical reason for it or it's carved in contract stone somewhere, I think platform exclusivity for any span of the beta is kind of not so awesome.

If it's that a week to stress test on PSN exclusively and then broaden the scope to include the more familiar Xbox waters is the idea, I'd understand the reasoning. But going live on XBL on Bungie Day itself seems kind of...less fun and more hassle than I think anyone on the good ship Bungie would want it to be.

~m

Prediction

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 15:57 (3653 days ago) @ Malagate

Unless there's a solid technical reason for it or it's carved in contract stone somewhere, I think platform exclusivity for any span of the beta is kind of not so awesome.

I can't tell for sure by your wording, but in case you don't know they are for sure getting some period of exclusivity, it was announced when they officially announced the beta. We just don't know how long the exclusivity will be.

Prediction

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 17:11 (3653 days ago) @ Malagate

If it's that a week to stress test on PSN exclusively and then broaden the scope to include the more familiar Xbox waters is the idea, I'd understand the reasoning.

Activision has a marketing deal with Sony regarding Destiny.

That's why they get early exclusive beta access.

It's also why Destiny has been marketed around the PS4.

(It's not like this sort of thing is uncommon, or even a very extreme case. Call of Duty has always been marketed as an Xbox product, and that's also an Activision-published franchise. Or consider how Titanfall was marketed and beta'd for the XB1 compared with the 360.)

Prediction

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 08:18 (3652 days ago) @ Malagate
edited by SonofMacPhisto, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 08:22

But going live on XBL on Bungie Day itself seems kind of...less fun and more hassle than I think anyone on the good ship Bungie would want it to be.

~m

Betas are unfinished, sometimes buggy messes that are meant to be broken. Using a Beta to advertise/market? That's the kind of thing that can blow up in your face. Doesn't really fit in the Bungie Day mythos.

Exclusivity

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 15:05 (3653 days ago) @ petetheduck
edited by DaDerga, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 15:16

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a whole week. I could live with that, but yeah a couple of days would be better.

A better way of articulating my sentiment.

Edit: Housekeeping.

Prediction

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 19:53 (3652 days ago) @ bluerunner

All previous Bungie Beta Tests have been in the 14-28 day range. I would guess for a 2 week Beta for all, with 3 bonus days for PS3/PS4.

My prediction:

PS3/PS4 on July 4th

Open to all on July 7th (What a way to celebrate Bungie Day!)

It would also place both starts on normal times (Friday for PS, and Monday for the rest)

Although, maybe it is bad marketing to release a Beta on a US national holiday, gotta think that is considered... But, maybe not.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:54 (3653 days ago) @ Xenos

...will it be on Bungie Day for Playstation or for everyone else after Playstation has had their exclusive time?

From a marketing stand point that would be such a bad call.

If it is during Bungie day (which will be a Monday) then it should be the day Everyone gets access to the beta, other wise the unspoken message could be disastrous.

Edit:

Sounds good to me.

by petetheduck, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:55 (3653 days ago) @ Xenos

If it is Playstation only on Bungie Day, that will forever taint the day as a great betrayal.

I would never again enjoy a Bungie Day.

*Shock* /s

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:57 (3653 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 15:08 (3653 days ago) @ petetheduck

If it is Playstation only on Bungie Day, that will forever taint the day as a great betrayal.

[image]

It's happening!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 19:16 (3652 days ago) @ kanbo

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 17:51 (3653 days ago) @ petetheduck

Wow. I don't get it.

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 06:02 (3652 days ago) @ Kermit

It would be crap for a large subset of Bungie fans to be unable to join in the Bungie Day festivities for playing on a console that was once required to enjoy Bungie games for the last 13 years.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 08:26 (3652 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

It would be crap for a large subset of Bungie fans to be unable to join in the Bungie Day festivities for playing on a console that was once required to enjoy Bungie games for the last 13 years.

I think Kermit gets that, but pete's answer is a bit too "weeping and knashing of teeth" for his taste (and mine).

I mean, hell, I'd have forgotten about such a "Great Betrayal" in a couple a days, maybe.

by petetheduck, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 08:43 (3652 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I think Kermit gets that, but pete's answer is a bit too "weeping and knashing of teeth" for his taste (and mine).

I mean, hell, I'd have forgotten about such a "Great Betrayal" in a couple a days, maybe.

My memory is greater than a couple days.

As a person excited about Destiny and traditionally enjoying Bungie Day festivities, that would be a slap in the face, and one I would not forget. Every future Bungie Day henceforth would be ushered in with snarky "I wonder what Bungie will do for their PS4 fans" comments.

I already feel slighted, as an Xbox One owner, by how much Bungie is in bed with the PS4. I think we can all agree that PS4 exclusive on Bungie Day sends the wrong message to Bungie's Xbox fans that have been supporting them for over a decade.

I get the feeling lately that I'm supposed to be completely neutral on all topics in order to fit in here.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 09:00 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

I get the feeling lately that I'm supposed to be completely neutral on all topics in order to fit in here.

No, there are just a few parties (I'll admit I am sometimes guilty of it too) that expect everyone to agree with them. I think this some affect of extended Internet use.

I don't think Bungie would make it for Playstation on Bungie Day, because I totally agree with you that it would make a lot of fans (especially long time fans) very upset. The more I've thought about it lately I kind of expect them to not even release it on Bungie Day since they usually focus on more general celebration stuff. But we'll just have to wait and see.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:02 (3652 days ago) @ Xenos

No, there are just a few parties (I'll admit I am sometimes guilty of it too) that expect everyone to agree with them. I think this some affect of extended Internet use.

As my response to Effortless lead to these next couple of posts, I'd like to clarify I'm not part of whatever group you're talking about here, Xenos. Taking a strong position elicits strong responses, which is normal and fine. I like it, because it means we give a crap. Neutral is boring, and what's friendship or community without a fiery exchange or five?

Anyway, nothing but love here. I hope my behavior reflects that, and if it hasn't or wasn't clear, apologies.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:03 (3652 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Yeah didn't mean you specifically :)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:05 (3652 days ago) @ Xenos

Cool. Let's hug it out.

I also realize I come from the "knockdown drag out fights followed up with laughter and possibly beers" school of discussion.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, May 09, 2014, 07:54 (3650 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I also realize I come from the "knockdown drag out fights followed up with laughter and possibly beers" school of discussion.

Best possible school.

FWIW, as an unflinching Xbox adopter the second I heard Bungie would be exclusive to the platform, it certainly rubs me the wrong way. But as has already been pointed out here, we Mac gamers got over that mess back when Marathon 2 was hot shit.

The only thing that would really bug me would be platform-exclusive gear or content.

~m

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 09:23 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

You'll always fit in if I have any say in it. I better understand your point about Bungie days. My memory is long. I remember the outrage in 1995 when Bungie ceased to be a Mac-only house, too. I guess it takes a lot more to upset me these days. I'm going to have both platforms (for the beta at least), so I also should probably do a better job of imagining how others feel.

Kermit

by yakaman, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 09:40 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

I already feel slighted, as an Xbox One owner, by how much Bungie is in bed with the PS4. I think we can all agree that PS4 exclusive on Bungie Day sends the wrong message to Bungie's Xbox fans that have been supporting them for over a decade.

Me, too. Can't help it. I know PS affiliation is a strategic choice, and that (perhaps) their hands are tied in what they are allowed to do at this point. I know that Mac people suffered before, and that this is definitely a first world problem.

I know that Dragon Age: Inquisition (another game coming out for all platforms) has not presented a bias in any direction. Wondering why Bungie made the business decision to affiliate, rather than the marketing decision to court PS owners harder.

I swear to god I'm not trying to whine. I'm trying to let Bungie know that while I understand courting to build up a new customer base, I would have a hard time resolving PS exclusives beyond some certain extent. To what extent? Not sure, but early and/or greater access to beta for PS only would be a bit insulting.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 09:44 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

As a person excited about Destiny and traditionally enjoying Bungie Day festivities, that would be a slap in the face, and one I would not forget. Every future Bungie Day henceforth would be ushered in with snarky "I wonder what Bungie will do for their PS4 fans" comments.

Right, because ceasing to develop games for the Mac when they were bought by Microsoft wasn't a slap in the face to all the Mac owners that supported them for almost a decade?

We got over it then. It's not a big deal.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 09:51 (3652 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Right, because ceasing to develop games for the Mac when they were bought by Microsoft wasn't a slap in the face to all the Mac owners that supported them for almost a decade?

We got over it then. It's not a big deal.

This is basically where I'm at with it, too. I like Bungie, and the platform they release on, or favor with marketing, is pretty low down on my list of caring. Make an awesome game, Bungie, that's how you reward me for longtime fandom.

Doesn't mean you can't be upset, pete, just means we disagree.

by Quirel, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 09:51 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

I don't feel slighted at all.
I just see it as a partnership with a company that will help them accomplish awesome things, just like when Bungie partnered with Microsoft and delivered Halo's multiplayer.

Keep in mind, though, this is the perspective of someone who was a Bungie fan for four years before he played one of their games on the Xbox 360.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 08:45 (3652 days ago) @ EffortlessFury
edited by Kermit, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 09:22

Upon reflection (in part due to some very good points made by others here), I don't see it happening.

Regardless, the kvetching by the Xbox community strikes me as overwrought. Let Microsoft pony up some promotional cash and makes some deals with Bungie so that their platform is more visible in the adverts and they get some exclusive content.

(Personally, I'm very happy they're independent from MS now. It seemed a necessary relationship, and not always a good one.)

As is, even the owner of an eight-year-old 360 has been given no reason to fear that they will not get the same content that everyone else gets. They just might not get it first. I don't get how that rises to the level of a betrayal.

Now when Bungie announces they're abandoning your platform of choice and their next game will be an exclusive on a platform that doesn't exist yet, then we'll talk.

Kermit

EDIT: removed the postscript and replied directly to Pete.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 09:47 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

Heaven forbid Bungie gives preference to the more powerful of the next gen consoles. It's not like just anybody can go out and buy one. Nope, there's the Xbox club and PS club. No mixing allowed.

by petetheduck, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:04 (3652 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Heaven forbid Bungie gives preference to the more powerful of the next gen consoles. It's not like just anybody can go out and buy one. Nope, there's the Xbox club and PS club. No mixing allowed.

Actually, not just anybody CAN go out and buy one. Not everyone has disposable income to drop a grand on owning both next gen consoles.

Bit of a tangent re: choosing platform

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:12 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck
edited by SonofMacPhisto, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:20

Actually, not just anybody CAN go out and buy one. Not everyone has disposable income to drop a grand on owning both next gen consoles.

I think he means there's 'nothing' (more on this below) stopping you from grabbing a PS4 over a One? Not saying buy both, just grab whatever you think is the superior platform? I dunno.

I've got Titanfall on PC and 360 (first time I've ever double dipped) and let me tell you something I've learned. PC is awesome, and fun, but I don't really have any friends there (and the one that is isn't in my time zone). 360, while (affectionately) pretty rough looking and sounding next to the PC version, is still very much the same game, and all my friends are on LIVE.

I love my time on the PC, but I love the time I've had with my friends on 360. I guess you can get whatever console you want, but to a certain extent, you also can't.

This has very much informed my thoughts on Destiny - sure, I'd love to get a PC version, and was pretty hardcore about it, but I'm 95% sure I'll be grabbing it for XBOX One because that's what the friends are doing.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:52 (3652 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I've got Titanfall on PC and 360 (first time I've ever double dipped) and let me tell you something I've learned.

Yay, let's play!

Er, crap. I don't have it for the 360.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 12:26 (3652 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I think he means there's 'nothing' (more on this below) stopping you from grabbing a PS4 over a One? Not saying buy both, just grab whatever you think is the superior platform? I dunno.

I've got Titanfall on PC and 360 (first time I've ever double dipped) and let me tell you something I've learned. PC is awesome, and fun, but I don't really have any friends there (and the one that is isn't in my time zone). 360, while (affectionately) pretty rough looking and sounding next to the PC version, is still very much the same game, and all my friends are on LIVE.

I love my time on the PC, but I love the time I've had with my friends on 360. I guess you can get whatever console you want, but to a certain extent, you also can't.

This has very much informed my thoughts on Destiny - sure, I'd love to get a PC version, and was pretty hardcore about it, but I'm 95% sure I'll be grabbing it for XBOX One because that's what the friends are doing.

You have hit the dilemma squarely on the head. Bravo sir.

I usually don't care about graphics - with Destiny I am making the exception. I expect to be playing Destiny on this gen ( X1/PS4 ) for at least 5 years (presuming the length of last gen was the exception - not the rule). Its my go to - it is why I'll be getting a new console. What ever I choose I expect to be "locked" to so I might as well go for it as a factor. Yet - Destiny is about friends. Destiny is about playing together. Graphics don't matter.

I never been so conflicted on a purchase. >_<

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 12:32 (3652 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

My gut tells me go with what will make the best memories. Practically this seems to be PC for single player focused experiences (especially strategy games) and next-gen console that the people I want to play with will get for co-op/multiplayer experiences.

Which I feel lucky being able to go next gen, cause yeah graphics matter.

I think I've figured it out

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 14:13 (3652 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I'm buying it for 360 for sure and then for whatever next-gen I get, if I even get one.

Then, of course, hope to my core that saves are stored cross-compatible.

*Bentusi voice* Behold:

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 14:29 (3652 days ago) @ ZackDark

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=21660

Well, at least part of your concern anyway?

Somewhat

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 15:47 (3652 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm still concerned about whether or not I'll be able to go back to last-gen at will.

That's what I'm curious about

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, May 09, 2014, 04:00 (3650 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'd love to be able to switch and forth for whichever crew is on XB1 or on 360.

It'd also be fun to check out the differences.

*Bentusi voice* Behold:

by Quirel, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 21:12 (3651 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Homeworld Remastered. It's coming. I can't wait.

*Bentusi voice* Behold:

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 06:32 (3651 days ago) @ Quirel

Homeworld Remastered. It's coming. I can't wait.

Me too, meeeeeeee too. I've been watching videos on YouTube, just to sooth my excitement.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 21:32 (3651 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

but I'm 95% sure I'll be grabbing it for XBOX One because that's what the friends are doing.

This line made me smile. A lot.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 11:20 (3651 days ago) @ stabbim

but I'm 95% sure I'll be grabbing it for XBOX One because that's what the friends are doing.

This line made me smile. A lot.

It's going to be beautiful, my friend.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 11:29 (3651 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm just going to tag along in your fireteam and listen to you two talk about music and stuff.

<3

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 11:38 (3651 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:28 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

I get where you are coming from man, but if it's really that important to you to play a week early, you should have gotten a PS4. Even before either console came out, Bungie made it clear the PS4 was going to be the best destiny experience. You had warning, and if you could afford an Xbox One, you could have gotten a PS4 instead. You are responsible for choosing to disregard what Bungie said.

If, keeping that in mind, you had put a dollar in a jar everyday starting at E3 last year, you'd have enough in that jar to get a PS4 in time for the beta.

by petetheduck, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:38 (3652 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I get where you are coming from man, but if it's really that important to you to play a week early, you should have gotten a PS4. Even before either console came out, Bungie made it clear the PS4 was going to be the best destiny experience. You had warning, and if you could afford an Xbox One, you could have gotten a PS4 instead. You are responsible for choosing to disregard what Bungie said.

I made the correct console decision for me, well aware of Bungie's intent. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to express my general dislike for their PS4 BFF attitude (which in itself is meaningless until exclusives become a factor) and (here's where exclusives become a factor) strong opinion that going PS4 exclusive on Bungie Day--the point of my original and subsequent posts--would make me very unhappy and I don't think I'd be alone in that.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:45 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

I made the correct console decision for me, well aware of Bungie's intent. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to express my general dislike for their PS4 BFF attitude (which in itself is meaningless until exclusives become a factor) and (here's where exclusives become a factor) strong opinion that going PS4 exclusive on Bungie Day--the point of my original and subsequent posts--would make me very unhappy and I don't think I'd be alone in that.

You might as well be unhappy with Bungie's handling of the Reach and Halo 3 betas then. After all, I got to play a week before everybody else in both of those. Why did Bungie have a BFF attitude toward their "friends & family"? Did it being exclusive to them for a time make you unhappy then?

It interesting you are upset over this, and not the exclusive content which isn't cosmetic (exact details yet to be revealed) that the PS players get and the Xbox players don't.

by petetheduck, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:48 (3652 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You might as well be unhappy with Bungie's handling of the Reach and Halo 3 betas then. After all, I got to play a week before everybody else in both of those. Why did Bungie have a BFF attitude toward their "friends & family"? Did it being exclusive to them for a time make you unhappy then?

It interesting you are upset over this, and not the exclusive content which isn't cosmetic (exact details yet to be revealed) that the PS players get and the Xbox players don't.

Why do you continue to ignore that my post is talking about Bungie Day?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:50 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

I simply fail to see the significance of some arbitrary holiday? I don't really get why that makes any difference. A day is a day is a day, unless the government or your parents say otherwise. :-p

by petetheduck, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:59 (3652 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I simply fail to see the significance of some arbitrary holiday? I don't really get why that makes any difference. A day is a day is a day, unless the government or your parents say otherwise. :-p

Bungie has a tradition of putting out some content for their community on Bungie Day. Now suddenly excluding part of their community on that day would make it seem like, well, it isn't a Bungie community any more. It would suggest that the PS4 playerbase is Bungie's community, and everyone else is some kind of obligation or revenue generator.

The exclusives are what they are. If Deej told me I could have gotten in on the pre-alpha if I bought a PS4, I'd have passed. I made my choice, I'm happy with it, but I'm hoping Bungie treats their entire community like one community.

I see a difference between community stuff and marketing/publishing stuff.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 11:16 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

Bungie has a tradition of putting out some content for their community on Bungie Day. Now suddenly excluding part of their community on that day would make it seem like, well, it isn't a Bungie community any more. It would suggest that the PS4 playerbase is Bungie's community, and everyone else is some kind of obligation or revenue generator.

The exclusives are what they are. If Deej told me I could have gotten in on the pre-alpha if I bought a PS4, I'd have passed. I made my choice, I'm happy with it, but I'm hoping Bungie treats their entire community like one community.

I want to tell you you are being overly sensitive, but these types of things are things I usually complain about.

So, as Ali G would say:

Respect.

by yakaman, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 11:20 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

This. I made this point in another post, but I do not understand why Bungie chose to affiliate with one console over another. For example, Bioware has no such bias in their handling of Dragon Age Inquisition.

Why? I can think of 2 reasons:

• Stick it to Microsoft
  • Money

There may be others, of course. Now, it is their right to do whatever they want with their IP, but the preference potentially creates an arbitrary division between 'haves' and 'have-nots'.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 11:38 (3652 days ago) @ yakaman

This. I made this point in another post, but I do not understand why Bungie chose to affiliate with one console over another. For example, Bioware has no such bias in their handling of Dragon Age Inquisition.

Bioware has released multiple games on the Playstation, though.

Why? I can think of 2 reasons:

• Stick it to Microsoft
  • Money

There may be others, of course.

Like being the new kids on the block.

Now, it is their right to do whatever they want with their IP, but the preference potentially creates an arbitrary division between 'haves' and 'have-nots'.

Potentially, yes, but maybe it's a good idea to keep my powder dry until i know whether these preferences amount to anything substantial.

by yakaman, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 09:19 (3651 days ago) @ Kermit

Potentially, yes, but maybe it's a good idea to keep my powder dry until i know whether these preferences amount to anything substantial.

Yes, you're right - better to wait for real slights than to react to imagined ones. Maybe some breathing exercises will help....

You make me laugh.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 10:15 (3651 days ago) @ yakaman

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 11:44 (3652 days ago) @ petetheduck

Yeah, I get it. The BFF talk earlier though gives me pause, though. I strongly believe that Sony has paid a tidy sum for the visibility and preference their platform has been given. Activision is certainly involved, too, and Bungie may be involved only by saying, this stuff is okay within limits. As others have said, the Playstation audience needs to be built up. Those fans need love from Bungie. They've been in the cold since forever (ONI being the exception that proves the rule). But as far as any substantial difference between platforms go, I don't think anyone has anything to worry about. I'd be shocked and disappointed if exclusives are anything other than cosmetic or timed. I don't really buy the rhetoric about the best experience being on the PS4. I could be wrong, but I went back and looked at the announcements during the P4 push at E3 last year, and I didn't hear that from Bungie folks. At 3:30 here you can hear Harold Ryan talking about their loyalty to GAMERS, though.

by petetheduck, Friday, May 09, 2014, 13:30 (3650 days ago) @ petetheduck

by Avateur @, Friday, May 09, 2014, 14:27 (3650 days ago) @ petetheduck

Heh, a nice closing statement from Deej on this topic:

"Gnoizic So, should we expect big things for Bungie Day this year?

Sure. Bungie Day is about the entire Bungie Community at large, so we’ll do something special that everyone can enjoy. At the same time."

Your face when, come Bungie Day, the PS4 still has exclusive Beta access, but you get to partake in other community stuff with "the entire Bungie Community at large" on Bungie.net. Your face when, come Bungie Day, "that everyone can enjoy" is them hooking back up the webcams and streaming themselves playing Destiny on PS4 while you, pete, are left to watch.

Haha just kidding. But damn that would be hilarious (and highly messed up, which would also be pretty hilarious [to me]) if they trolled you so hard. :P

But the real question is…(and answer is…)

by ridum, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 04:05 (3651 days ago) @ Xenos

PS will have access the weekend b4 and ev1 else access on Bday..

S O L V E D

we knew the beta day fr/the beginning

by ridum, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 11:42 (3652 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

I figured it would be … :) but I was hoping for Jan 1st (early 2014) lol

Let's kick it up a notch

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 15:12 (3653 days ago) @ DaDerga

I'd like to narrow my prediction.

My window for the launch date was July 7 - August 19. Somewhat broad, I'll admit, so I'm going to kick things up a notch and take the halfway point of that window as my guess for the exact start date:

Start: Tuesday, July 29, 2:00 AM Pacific
End: Tuesday, August 12, 2:00 AM Pacific

I'd also like to add that I think all y'all predicting a Bungie Day start date are chumps. Chumps!

Let's kick it up a notch

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 15:43 (3653 days ago) @ Schooly D

I'd like to narrow my prediction.

My window for the launch date was July 7 - August 19. Somewhat broad, I'll admit, so I'm going to kick things up a notch and take the halfway point of that window as my guess for the exact start date:

Start: Tuesday, July 29, 2:00 AM Pacific
End: Tuesday, August 12, 2:00 AM Pacific

Always interested to hear your reasoning, so I'm all ears.

I'd also like to add that I think all y'all predicting a Bungie Day start date are chumps. Chumps!

I'm inclined to agree on the grounds that it would be bad medicine to associate something so momentous for the company with something so momentous for the company.

It would be great to play on 7/7, though.

~m

Let's kick it up a notch

by ridum, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 04:11 (3651 days ago) @ Schooly D

' an average guess' of a predetermined 'guess' is better than a logical conclusion hmm….I guess I'm a chump then…I was when I bought Halo 4 and I guess I still am ….

thank friggn god

by ridum, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 15:56 (3653 days ago) @ DaDerga

that's all I wanted to know for 8 mo now thank you very much I am at peace …

THANK YOU !

so it is J U L Y that is ALL I WANTED TO KNOW … ahhhhh

Acti and Info

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 16:05 (3653 days ago) @ DaDerga

They're not particularly circumspect with regard to the information they gatekeep are they? That's one more nugget they've let out into the wild that I'm certain Bungie would have preferred to spill.

Bungie confirms July.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 18:41 (3653 days ago) @ DaDerga

Bungie has confirmed it will be in July, but we're going to have to pay attention during E3 to find out exactly when.

Source: https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/463853304628252672

On what platform shall you Beta?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:18 (3652 days ago) @ DaDerga

I'll be on 360.

^ We should Google doc this ^

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:25 (3652 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Presuming we haven't already. Tried searching but didn't find anything.

^ We should Google doc this ^

by Decom @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 13:17 (3652 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Not specifically for the beta but probably close enough: http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=15914
(And sort of this one http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=20831)

Thank You.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 14:01 (3652 days ago) @ Decom

Not specifically for the beta but probably close enough: http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=15914
(And sort of this one http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=20831)

Its pretty obvious that at least everyone here has (for some reason ;P) a 360. Unless stated otherwise I shall presume that the default for the Beta. I look forward to seeing you all starside.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 11:07 (3652 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

360 for me too.

by petetheduck, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 11:40 (3652 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'll be on 360.

I have two beta codes, I was hoping to borrow a second 360 to entice my wife to join in.. but even if that fails, I may 360 for the beta to play with the likes of you and Avateur. I'll be buying the game on Xbox One, though.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 12:09 (3652 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'll probably be playing on all four, if nothing else just to compare. Then I'll see how it shakes out with # of people I want to play with and go from there.

PS4

by scarab @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 14:02 (3652 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 14:20 (3652 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

For now I'm playing the beta and final game on the PS4. Eventually I may span out to an Xbox 1, too. We'll have to see!

by PsychoRaven, Oklahoma, Friday, May 09, 2014, 15:21 (3650 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

You know. That's a tough question. I'd like to beta with friends who have a PS4 but would also like to see how it runs on Xbox One also. Having both that makes my choice on beta a tough one.

Course I'm buying it for both anyway when retail hits so ultimately it's not going to matter when retail hits since I'll be playing on both.

None, at this rate.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 15:50 (3652 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I preordered from Amazon like 500 years ago and still haven't received a beta code.

(Probably PS4.)

Did you try contacting them directly?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 16:50 (3652 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

Not yet, but I think I'll do that soon.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 17:21 (3652 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Well, looks like I'm now registered for the beta.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 20:21 (3651 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

So which will you choose in time?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 21:44 (3651 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

Likely PS4

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 21:52 (3651 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 21:41 (3651 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

It depends on how many of my friends are on XBone at that point. I intend for my final purchase to be on XBone, but if I have no (or very few) friends on that platform at beta time, I'll go for 360. On the other hand, if I have enough people on XBone to reliably form up a fireteam in the evenings, I'll go that route. Problem is, it's hard to say how that will pan out very far ahead of time.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 09:24 (3651 days ago) @ stabbim

Well, clearly, the friends that MATTER will be on 360 for the beta. :P

by Avateur @, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 20:51 (3650 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Well, clearly, the friends that MATTER will be on 360 for the beta. :P

Seconded. :D

SRS.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, May 09, 2014, 07:48 (3650 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

by ridum, Friday, May 09, 2014, 05:26 (3650 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

360 as well, hopefully 'inspired' enough to UPGRADE to PS4.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread