This is so Unreal... (Gaming)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 11:12 (3648 days ago)

New Unreal Tournament Announced, Will Be Totally Free

This makes me a happy girl. Spent hours on the Xbox version years and years ago. Can't wait!

This is so Unreal...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 08, 2014, 11:34 (3648 days ago) @ Grizzlei

That's not free-to-play, Epic promises. Free. No microtransactions here

-what.

This is so Unreal...

by Flynn J Taggart, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 12:22 (3648 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'd forgotten there was an Xbox version of Unreal Tournament! Unreal Championship is what Griz was talking about. I wonder if Epic will go the Quake Live route and have ads in game in addition to id's other Quake Live stuff (site, new UI, etc.) as well? Will be interesting to see if it's financially viable for them with their taking a cut of the community's creativity model. That's what Valve does in part with TF2 and other games, right?

This is so Unreal...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 12:35 (3648 days ago) @ Flynn J Taggart

I'd forgotten there was an Xbox version of Unreal Tournament! Unreal Championship is what Griz was talking about.

Yeah, that was my first taste of Unreal, but I've since played plenty of Tournament.

I'm not sure I understand

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 12:34 (3648 days ago) @ Grizzlei

This makes me a happy girl. Spent hours on the Xbox version years and years ago. Can't wait!

Feel free to chalk it up to ignorance on my part, but I don't understand how "crowdsourcing" the development of a game like this is going to work. Feels more like a publicity stunt than anything of actual value…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 14:01 (3648 days ago) @ Beorn

Feel free to chalk it up to ignorance on my part, but I don't understand how "crowdsourcing" the development of a game like this is going to work. Feels more like a publicity stunt than anything of actual value…

Yeah it's dumb. They say there are no microtransactions, but that's exactly what this is. The only difference is you are buying maps and skins or whatever else made by some random person, versus by Epic. I'm betting the marketplace will be the only way to add stuff to the game, killing all the free modding you could do in UT2004.

Why are developers so hesitant to simply charge money for the game and call it a day?

This decline of a once 'hardcore' franchise is indicative of the sad state of the industry as a whole.

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 16:40 (3648 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why are developers so hesitant to simply charge money for the game and call it a day?

This decline of a once 'hardcore' franchise is indicative of the sad state of the industry as a whole.

Yep. This announcement is a giant MEH for me.

by Avateur @, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 20:44 (3648 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah it's dumb. They say there are no microtransactions, but that's exactly what this is. The only difference is you are buying maps and skins or whatever else made by some random person, versus by Epic. I'm betting the marketplace will be the only way to add stuff to the game, killing all the free modding you could do in UT2004.

This is exactly what I thought when I saw this thread. Glad I'm not alone. I don't think I've played any other UT title as much as UT2004. I loved that game a ton. Just thinking about it makes me want to dig it out of a box I have it in and get it installed again. Fun fun.

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 22:05 (3648 days ago) @ Avateur

This is exactly what I thought when I saw this thread. Glad I'm not alone. I don't think I've played any other UT title as much as UT2004. I loved that game a ton. Just thinking about it makes me want to dig it out of a box I have it in and get it installed again. Fun fun.

In agreement here, UT2k4 Imo was the pinnacle for Unreal. Onslaught was an awesome game mode, the vehicles were really superbly integrated and the 3rd party maps and mods scene was the best going. I remember downloading some of the custom maps they had and being blown away by the creativity and graphical prowess some of them had. It was the best gameplay of any of the Unreal games as well. Truly a golden age for the series.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, May 09, 2014, 06:59 (3648 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Agreed on all points. Onslaught especially was awesome.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 08, 2014, 21:48 (3648 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because the way of the microtransactions are experimentally proven to be a more reliable (as in less risky) source of income?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread