Destiny Ps4 announcement trailer and discussion.

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 17:17 (4082 days ago)
edited by electricpirate, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 17:28

game looks gorgeous.

http://bit.ly/13iEghA

Some things to note:

Lighting is just amazing, nice work boys.
Who's tied up down there?

The art style is great, there are scenes that would be comfortable in KoTOR, Mass Effect, Halo, and even Skyrim.

Animations are just gorgeous, I love that guy slinking around.

IS that a burst fire rifle I hear?

First "We have a Front Page, you know" post. Woohoo!

by GrimBrother One, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 17:23 (4082 days ago) @ electricpirate

Now all we're waiting on is the first "Grim, that Front Page post you made was already on the Front Page..." post.

(and in your defense, it's still a great thing to bring up specifically on the forum ;-)

<3
Grim

You beat me by one lousy minute! :p

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 17:24 (4082 days ago) @ GrimBrother One

- No text -

Destiny Ps4 announcement trailer

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 17:25 (4082 days ago) @ electricpirate

[image]

The game looks gorgeous, but this part totally made me giggle. It immediately reminds me of the broken tether draped across Voi. Awesome.

I was seeing Halo referances all over the place

by nomis78, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 17:32 (4082 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

- No text -

There's a Halo 2 Arbiter reference immediately after that.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 17:33 (4082 days ago) @ nomis78

- No text -

Holy jdjxbdjwhsjz Marty!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 17:27 (4082 days ago) @ electricpirate

Maybe it was the combination of visuals and music, but Marty's new stuff in that video was absolutely frickin wonderful. I was getting chills. Thank you Marty for the awesome work. I can't wait to hear the rest :)

More like...asjkfnjknsdmklndljd, Marty!

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 17:31 (4082 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Maybe it was the combination of visuals and music, but Marty's new stuff in that video was absolutely frickin wonderful. I was getting chills. Thank you Marty for the awesome work. I can't wait to hear the rest :)

The music, the gameplay, the art style, the enthusiasm and sincerity in Jason Jones!

So. Much. Excite.

Burst fire rifle even looks familiar

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 17:55 (4082 days ago) @ electricpirate

IS that a burst fire rifle I hear?

I couldn't pause it well enough, but the weapon the two coop buddies are using there look like a scoopless BR Halo 2/3 version, mind you :)

Burst fire rifle even sounds familiar

by Decom @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 18:05 (4082 days ago) @ Mix

unfortunately, the sound effect for it reminds me of the Halo 4 sound effects, which were complete garbage. :(

please bungie, let those be placeholder sounds. please?

Burst fire rifle even looks familiar

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 20:29 (4082 days ago) @ Mix

Good eye, it really does!

Nice nod there bungie :)

Influences

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 20:33 (4082 days ago) @ electricpirate

Like others out there, I'm seeing a lot of vibes from other games - Borderlands, Halo, Skyrim, Mass Effect. Will exploration be a big part of this game? Hope beyond hope, could they be taking cues from something like Dishonored? The mind reels.

Jason's lookin' mighty fine, too.

Jason Jones

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 20:53 (4082 days ago) @ electricpirate

Jason Jones is being surprisingly not reclusive these days.

Jason Jones

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:02 (4082 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think he pretty much lost most interest with Halo around the time of Halo 2. Seems to me he's finally excited about a game again.

Jason Jones

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:06 (4082 days ago) @ Xenos

I think he pretty much lost most interest with Halo around the time of Halo 2. Seems to me he's finally excited about a game again.

What else could it be, you know?

I also think I may have a man crush on him.

Jason Jones

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:12 (4082 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Yeah, he still looks like he did in his 20s. Unibrow and all.

[image]

Jason Jones

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 05:59 (4082 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Ya, agreed.

Does making kick-ass games make you younger, cause he doesn't seem to have aged much since we last saw him!

Jason Jones

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 14:31 (4081 days ago) @ breitzen

Ya, agreed.

Does making kick-ass games make you younger, cause he doesn't seem to have aged much since we last saw him!

Jones feeds on the life force of naive young programmers to maintain his youthful glow. There is only one lord of The Shaft, only one who can bend it to his will, and he does not share power.

HA!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 14:34 (4081 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Haven't heard the shaft invoked in a long while.

Jason Jones

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 02:28 (4082 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Jason Jones is being surprisingly not reclusive these days.

It's amazing that doing two YouTube videos from one's own office qualifies as "not being reclusive". Heck, for Halo 1 he actually turned up on stage in person!

I also thought this quote was interesting:

"and we focused from the beginning, not just on the great, competitive experience that players demand from a shooter, but to make sure that playing Destiny cooperatively, with your friends, was going to blow your mind."

No matter how many times I run that quote through my mind, it keeps coming out sounding like, "f*** body count".

Which makes me smile.

Jason Jones

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 11:41 (4081 days ago) @ narcogen

No matter how many times I run that quote through my mind, it keeps coming out sounding like, "f*** body count".

Which makes me smile.

Lol. He never said that :-) The actual quote, when asked about Body Count was "Fuck that". Put it up there with "Play it again, Sam." and "I'm ready for my close up, Mr. DeMille".

He was right though. Body count in Myth 1.0 was seriously flawed, in that if you lost all your troops you couldn't win, even if you had the most kills.

Jason Jones

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:31 (4081 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Which makes me smile.

Lol. He never said that :-) The actual quote, when asked about Body Count was "Fuck that". Put it up there with "Play it again, Sam." and "I'm ready for my close up, Mr. DeMille".

Well, the quote needs contextual adjustment to be memorable, because "f*** that" by itself doesn't mean anything. "That" referred to "body count".

He was right though. Body count in Myth 1.0 was seriously flawed, in that if you lost all your troops you couldn't win, even if you had the most kills.

I never believed that was why he said it. He said it, I always thought, because he believed it to be a shallow gameplay mode with little to recommend it, favored by those whose modus operandi was to start BC Trow games and yell "meet in middle" at the start.

It's hard not to hear strains of that in "those competitive modes that players have come to expect".

New looking weapons *IMG HEAVY*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:01 (4082 days ago) @ electricpirate

I'm excited to see more variety in weapons in this.

Notice the weapon the figure is holding on the right behind Jason Jones. Looks sweet.

[image]

New sniper with maybe customizable skin?

[image]

This one reminds me of guns from Marathon for some reason. Love the look of alien weapons

[image]

Hard to see the two guns in the back, but they sound like burst rifles (I know, already discussed)

[image]

Not sure if we've seen this one before, but that is a big bayonet

[image]

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:37 (4082 days ago) @ Xenos

Is that last one a sand eater or a player?

Either way, looks cool :)

Loving the pew-pews!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:43 (4082 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

I like the look of the new guns

by mikefishr, Bloomington, IN, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:13 (4082 days ago) @ Xenos

...but the alien race with three eyes kinda reminds me of the Pfhor from Marathon...

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:18 (4082 days ago) @ Xenos

This one reminds me of guns from Marathon for some reason. Love the look of alien weapons

[image]

Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream...

Pfhor confirmed in Destiny! :)

Better: *Confirmed! Destiny is Marathon Sequel*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:28 (4082 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

- No text -

Wouldn't prequel make more sense? *NM*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:29 (4082 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

The Traveler = Durandal's Jjaro Dreadnought :)

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:32 (4082 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

My thinking as well.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:38 (4082 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

My Marathon lore is pretty rusty at this point, but I'd think Humanity would remember themselves having to rebuild after a vicious alien attack. In Marathon the Pfhor were the first aliens Humanity ever encountered or even knew about weren't they? Doesn't make sense if Destiny is the prequel. Or I'm completely confused…

Good point

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:41 (4082 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I guess they probably would mention it. Maybe this is just the humanity that was left behind when the colony ships went out, which is probably what everyone was meaning

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 11:44 (4081 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

[image]

Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream...

Pfhor confirmed in Destiny! :)

Why why why. If this game ties into Marathon AT ALL I'm going to have to get it even if I hate it. Uggggg.

But the eye is wrong? The single eye should be below the other two if I recall.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 12:39 (4081 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But the eye is wrong? The single eye should be below the other two if I recall.

It actually depends on which game. In the first game the Fighters had the single eye on bottom, but because Seropian thought it looked like a nose they put it on top in the next two games.

The more you nose!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 12:52 (4081 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Nosing is half the battle!

by Avateur @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 18:31 (4081 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

TopEyeIsNotCanon.net.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 17:06 (4081 days ago) @ Xenos

I kid because I love.

by mnemesis, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 21:31 (4081 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why why why. If this game ties into Marathon AT ALL I'm going to have to get it even if I hate it. Uggggg.

Imagine seeing these guys once again:

[image]

The Phfor?

by iZac, Shanghai, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:22 (4082 days ago) @ Xenos

[image]

This alien reminds me a lot of the Phfor too? do we know the official name of these goblins?

The Phfor?

by mikefishr, Bloomington, IN, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:23 (4082 days ago) @ iZac

I believe they are known as "Space Zombies."

The Phfor?

by Rerdnermers, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:29 (4082 days ago) @ mikefishr

The IGN concept art video called those the time travelling robots. The zombies are the other, screaming creatures shown.

No, these are the time traveling robots

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:32 (4082 days ago) @ Rerdnermers

[image]

<title>DBO: No, these are the time traveling robots</title>

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:44 (4082 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

I spit my water realizing how funny that sounded *NM*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:46 (4082 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

- No text -

The Phfor? *LARGE IMG*

by mikefishr, Bloomington, IN, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:36 (4082 days ago) @ Rerdnermers

They kinda look like the creatures in this picture, which I think were described as space zombies. [image]

The Phfor?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 02:29 (4082 days ago) @ iZac

At first glance, I thought those are the Vex (the time-traveling robots).

But they do have the same distinctive three eyes on their forehead as in the Fireteam shot, where they were called Space Zombies.

I'm also really still not sure if the terms are about species, units or factions, and where at least one faction consists partially, if not completely of robots, it doesn't help.

Obviously we'll figure out more as we go on.

The Phfor?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 11:52 (4081 days ago) @ narcogen

Given that in the shot entitled "Dark Patrol" we have Cabal and Fallen troops with an eerie green glow, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it shouldn't be ruled out that we may be seeing the reanimated corpses of unannounced races. That being said, the Cabal have a very Drinol-esque aesthetic about them. Enough rings of Marathon about all of this. It would be fun if Marathon and Destiny canon intersected in a way that resulted in actual gameplay moments against them.

-M

The Phfor?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:34 (4081 days ago) @ Malagate

Given that in the shot entitled "Dark Patrol" we have Cabal and Fallen troops with an eerie green glow, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it shouldn't be ruled out that we may be seeing the reanimated corpses of unannounced races.

Yeah, that's pretty consistent with Bungie's usual approach, as well as with the name "Fallen". That might not be any particular race, but rather a faction composed of decomposing members of other factions. Something like a fusion of Flood and Thrall.

(Note to self: Start a band called "Flood, Sweat and Thrall")

That being said, the Cabal have a very Drinol-esque aesthetic about them. Enough rings of Marathon about all of this. It would be fun if Marathon and Destiny canon intersected in a way that resulted in actual gameplay moments against them.

-M

Yeah, overall sloping shoulder shape is a bit more Drinol than Hunter, despite the obvious similarities to both. As usual, some parts bin innovation going on-- taking familiar bits and recombining them in new ways.

Hey MacPhisto

by Avateur @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 18:33 (4081 days ago) @ iZac

Tell me I'm not the only one who first thought of the Collectors from ME2 when first seeing that creature.

Hey MacPhisto

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 06:31 (4080 days ago) @ Avateur

Yeah, I can totally see that.

Remember the shot of the cloaked sneaky/sniper type guy walking from right to left? I thought, 'Hey! What's the derelict Reaper doing here? OMG WHERE'S LEGION?'

by GauntMkII, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 05:35 (4082 days ago) @ Xenos

Unrelated to the weapons, but I really like the surcoat-like gear the closest fighter in the second-last shot is wearing. Gives the character a nice little hint of fantasy in his design, which I hope is something that Destiny does consistently.

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 21:58 (4081 days ago) @ Xenos

[image]

I thought the same, but not because of the gun.

[image]

This was what I was waiting for...

by Warbow, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 05:40 (4082 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

Lots of ships

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 16:47 (4081 days ago) @ electricpirate

Has anyone noticed the large number of jet streams and spaceships crossing over the Traveler when we see it from the city? I hope these are not just dynamic events but actual players' ships taking off. It would be especially cool because a lot of them appear to be horizontal so it could even be players traveling from place to place on the planet instead of just from planet to planet.

Lots of ships

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 17:04 (4081 days ago) @ Xenos

Has anyone noticed the large number of jet streams and spaceships crossing over the Traveler when we see it from the city? I hope these are not just dynamic events but actual players' ships taking off. It would be especially cool because a lot of them appear to be horizontal so it could even be players traveling from place to place on the planet instead of just from planet to planet.

I'd be very surprised if we wind up with the ability to travel around however you what everywhere... but even if it's just a generated fast-travel indicator, that would be cool.

Lots of ships

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 17:44 (4081 days ago) @ uberfoop

You mean like this?

~M

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread