Destiny 9 (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 12, 2014, 21:45 (3642 days ago)

It just occurred to me.

Didn't some guy make a film after not doing the Halo movie?

And wasn't that film about a strange alien thing floating over a city doing nothing?

Doesn't Destiny feature a strange alien thing floating over a city doing nothing?

And is it not true that the super rich lived on what was basically a giant Halo ring in the future on that guy's next film?

Everything's a remix man. I just hope Destiny doesn't turn out to have the same twist as Oblivion!

Destiny 9

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Monday, May 12, 2014, 22:27 (3642 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Let's just hope that the Traveler's real name isn't Sally.

Heh... *NM*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 00:47 (3642 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I didn't much like District 9. I mean the effects were cool and the story was more or less solid and the feel was right... I guess... for what it was supposed to be... but... Meh. I think the main character was unlikable enough that I'd just as soon go watch pretty much anything else before I watch District 9 again.

Heh... *NM*

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 03:32 (3642 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I loved it.
Having a largely "unlikeable" protagonist is great and too rare in my book.
Stunning effects, intense action scenes, good drama and largely well acted.

Heh... *NM*

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 05:34 (3641 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

I rented it but apparently you have to watch more than half of the movie before anything interesting happens so I didn't watch the whole thing. I was too bored.

Heh... *NM*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 08:01 (3641 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I rented it but apparently you have to watch more than half of the movie before anything interesting happens so I didn't watch the whole thing. I was too bored.

That's funny because even though I really enjoyed it, I found it less interesting in the final third when it transformed into a pretty standard action flick.

This

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 08:02 (3641 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Agreed

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 08:35 (3641 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm really fond of this film. It's the documentary style opening of the film that really does it for me.

My love for it is furthered by the fact that the production was largely improvisation, especially when it comes to Wikus and his scenes/dialog. He's certainly "unlikable", but on top of that he's very entertaining and refreshing.

Heh... *NM*

by Quirel, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 10:38 (3641 days ago) @ Kermit

That's funny because even though I really enjoyed it, I found it less interesting in the final third when it transformed into a pretty standard action flick.

I agree with the above, with the caveat that District 9 is one of only two films that used mechs well. It's nice to be able to watch an action scene with a mech without having to turn your brain all the way off.

What's the other one?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 13:03 (3641 days ago) @ Quirel

- No text -

Amazing Spider-Man 2?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 13:21 (3641 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Did it have a mech?

by Quirel, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 13:56 (3641 days ago) @ ZackDark

I dunno, I didn't watch it.

Rhino is a mech *SP*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 14:25 (3641 days ago) @ Quirel

*SPOILER ALERT*

But me mentioning it is a joke that you'll get if you watch the movie

by Quirel, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 14:04 (3641 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The AMP looked cool, the way it was used made sense, and the reason for why the RDA was using it made sense.

I guess I should also include the Power Loader in Aliens.

Assuming you admit they exist, The Matrix's continuations?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 14:24 (3641 days ago) @ Quirel

- No text -

The APUs were pretty cool...

by Quirel, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 14:29 (3641 days ago) @ ZackDark

But then I'd have to admit that the Matrix sequels exist. ;P

Heh... *NM*

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 12:59 (3640 days ago) @ Quirel

I agree with the above, with the caveat that District 9 is one of only two films that used mechs well. It's nice to be able to watch an action scene with a mech without having to turn your brain all the way off.

District 9 is one of my favorites, the whole thing. The action had been built up and then it delivered. It had weight and emotion, which is what I crave.

I went in with low expectations, I left with a smile for about 15 minutes, especially due to the very ending. My girlfriend couldn't get me to shut up about it. I guess I still can't!

Heh... *NM*

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 22:28 (3640 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

I loved it.

Having just recently finished Breaking Bad, I am 100% with you on this.

Heh... *NM*

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, May 15, 2014, 06:41 (3639 days ago) @ stabbim

I loved it.

Mrs. SMP is making her way through that right now. Also, Christoph Waltz when he's in a Tarantino movie.

Heh... *NM*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 15, 2014, 07:46 (3639 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I loved it.

Mrs. SMP is making her way through that right now. Also, Christoph Waltz when he's in a Tarantino movie.

Inglourious Basterds especially.

Heh... *NM*

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, May 15, 2014, 07:48 (3639 days ago) @ Kermit

I loved it.

RIGHT? I'm not surprised you get that.

Heh... *NM*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 15, 2014, 09:06 (3639 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I loved it.

RIGHT? I'm not surprised you get that.

Interested to hear about the reaction to Breaking Bad. As I told stabbim not long ago, Ozymandias from the last season may be my favorite single TV episode.

Destiny 9

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 05:28 (3641 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It just occurred to me.

And wasn't that film about a strange alien thing floating over a city doing nothing?

Doesn't Destiny feature a strange alien thing floating over a city doing nothing?

And is it not true that the super rich lived on what was basically a giant Halo ring in the future on that guy's next film?

Everything's a remix man. I just hope Destiny doesn't turn out to have the same twist as Oblivion!

Stupid Traveler, breaking down. It's not like you can just tow that sucker to a repair shop.

Destiny 9

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 07:12 (3641 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

All the loot we'll be collecting turns out to be money and parts the Traveler needs to rebuild his carburetor.

Destiny 9

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 08:05 (3641 days ago) @ bluerunner

All the loot we'll be collecting turns out to be money and parts the Traveler needs to rebuild his carburetor.

It's silly they didn't total it out and get a new one.

They...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 08:46 (3641 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

So here's a more serious question: Do you think the Traveler is a "it" or a "they"? Is the big sphere itself the Traveler, or is that the name of those that live inside the sphere?

They...

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 09:52 (3641 days ago) @ bluerunner

So here's a more serious question: Do you think the Traveler is a "it" or a "they"? Is the big sphere itself the Traveler, or is that the name of those that live inside the sphere?

It strikes me as an it, as we don't know a lot about it yet. Considering how large it is, and how it's capable of interstellar flight, it could transport someone/something.

Whomever that may be though, could be the sphere in a sense, or at least live in it in some disembodied form (like AI).

They...

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 10:38 (3641 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Whomever that may be though, could be the sphere in a sense, or at least live in it in some disembodied form (like AI).

I think this is probably close. I'm kind of hoping that it's either an autonomous terraforming drone, or some kind of indigenous-species-uplift module. Something that its creators wound up and set loose in the universe to go puttering around and uplifting worthy species to a level at which they can fight back against the Darkness.

[image]
~m

Believe (in a thing called love)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 13:53 (3641 days ago) @ Malagate

- No text -

Destiny 9

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 22:30 (3640 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

We'll chat sometime and write up THAT estimate. ;)

Excellent Observation

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, May 15, 2014, 11:15 (3639 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It just occurred to me.

Further more an excellent movie - earnestly gritty with a solid set of characters and plot.

If Destiny has a gun that makes enemies pop explode like a pus filled zit - I hope I get it.

Excellent Observation

by Quirel, Sunday, May 18, 2014, 08:59 (3636 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

If Destiny has a gun that makes enemies pop explode like a pus filled zit - I hope I get it.

Now I want to use the District 9 guns in Destiny. All of them. There'd even need to be feral hogs as ambient wildlife, so I can "shoot the pig".

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread