BETA near/on E3? (Destiny)

by ridum, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 03:15 (3641 days ago)

Would it be to 'Uppity' or could B ungie release the BETA to coincide w/E3?

That would be AMAZING, however impractical but to have the E3 people playing w/BETA players would be POWERFUL.

BETA near/on E3?

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 05:56 (3641 days ago) @ ridum

I think that would be fun!

Although I have my doubts. I feel like it might take away from the "first chance to play our awesome game is at e3" vibe they've got right now.

That, plus e3 is still technically before summer officially starts (here in the US at least).

BETA near/on E3?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 07:41 (3640 days ago) @ breitzen

Although I have my doubts. I feel like it might take away from the "first chance to play our awesome game is at e3" vibe they've got right now.

That, plus e3 is still technically before summer officially starts (here in the US at least).

Also that would be before July which is the confirmed month the beta will be in.

Just to add to the dogpile here...

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 08:42 (3640 days ago) @ Xenos

Also that would be before July which is the confirmed month the beta will be in.

While I agree it would be an even better promotional angle; imagine the effort required to pull that off. As tightly-controlled as pre-launch events/showcases tend to be, imagine opening the beta floodgates the same day you're literally on display to thousands of eager fans face-to-face. I think there's simply too much that could go wrong. Some technical hiccup that would otherwise go unnoticed (or shrugged off) by the community in the normal course of the beta would make for fairly embarrassing exposure in a setting like that. Better to show off the goods in an isolated test chamber where there aren't so many unknowns.

Besides, core gameplay is the important thing to show at E3. The seamless shared world stuff isn't super flashy on its face.

~m

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 09:13 (3640 days ago) @ Malagate

The seamless shared world stuff isn't super flashy on its face.

I think this is the toughest part of selling Destiny. I suspect that what makes it new and unique is the shared world stuff, and that, the "living" aspect of the world, just can't be communicated very well through clips.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, May 15, 2014, 06:57 (3639 days ago) @ Kermit

It's such an impressive technical challenge to tackle that isn't really easily communicated.

bungie confirmed?

by ridum, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 17:08 (3640 days ago) @ Xenos

hmm…the activision dude said it, did bungie confirm?

bungie confirmed?

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 17:45 (3640 days ago) @ ridum
edited by SigbiasSilva, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 17:50

They've confirmed via a tweet and in the weekly update, I believe.

I'll grab the links in a moment.

Edit: Grabbed the links. It's confirmed in the first question of The Mail Sack.

What he said ^

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 17:53 (3640 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

- No text -

My guess...

by GrimBrother IV, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 11:22 (3640 days ago) @ breitzen

More of a hope, really, is based on something Deej sad in the mail sack last week about everyone enjoying the game all at once on bungie day.
I'm hoping that indicates something like a July 1 release on playstation an and bungie day public release if the beta.

This would be my hope as well.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 11:25 (3640 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

More of a hope, really, is based on something Deej sad in the mail sack last week about everyone enjoying the game all at once on bungie day.
I'm hoping that indicates something like a July 1 release on playstation an and bungie day public release if the beta.

BETA near/on E3?

by petetheduck, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 09:24 (3640 days ago) @ ridum

June 9, Sony Press conference. Bungie tells the world that they're making a First Person Shooter and announces the Beta date.

June 10 - 12, Bungie lets people touch it.

June 13 - July 6, Deej releases the most majestic Bungie Weekly Updates yet, touching on PvP, Factions, loot.

July 7, Bungie releases the Field Guide to the Beta. Sweet, juicy info. Bungie.net is updated to accomodate beta info.

Sometime between July 11 - July 21, the Beta begins. PS4 gets exclusive access to Deej's love. Civil war among Xbox One fans as players are seduced by Sony. Illegal trails, executions, and witch hunts begin. When Xbox One beta access begins, all traitors are granted a pardon.

Sometime between July 28 - August 11, the Beta ends. Thousands of ad-laden Beta montage videos flood Youtube as gamers suffer withdrawals.

Around August 11 - September 7, final console purchases are made. Lines are drawn in the sand as communities divide into platform factions. Banners are raised. There is tension in the air. Urk's beard quivers. Deej reveals something amazing hidden in the game through such a florid response in the Mail Sack that no one realizes it until months later.

September 7, what is this day even for, end already.

September 8, is this the second half of September 7?

September 8, 11:59PM, DBO conducts field exercises. Communication is conducted via Twitter due to need for rapid response times.

You're forgetting one very important date:

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 09:50 (3640 days ago) @ petetheduck

I don't see an entry for the date when the most important question of all is answered...

Was Schooly, in fact, right?

~m

One more

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 10:32 (3640 days ago) @ petetheduck

Sept 9: 12:00AM: PS4 owners, having pre-downloaded Destiny, arrive in the City.

P.S. Urk's beard made me laugh.

You forgot the most important thing

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, May 15, 2014, 10:45 (3639 days ago) @ petetheduck

Monday. September 9th - Mysterious illness sweeps the land. The genius of the common cold/flu/food poisoning/spleen explosion is known as Psilocybe fata, which oddly enough sounds more like a mushroom then a type of bacterium or virus. Regardless - the symptoms of this obviously all real illness starts with a sleepless night, followed by erratic pulse, bursts of adrenaline while at physical rest, mixed pack behavior, delusions of grandeur, sweaty palms, hallucinations of a future long long time ago in the future and eventually... madness (OMG There is a giant ORB IN THE SKY!...Oh wait... that's the moon. Did you know there are zombies ON THE MOON!...)

Destiny! Catch the Disease!

That will be 2019

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 15, 2014, 11:08 (3639 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I'd second that prediction, but that's above my pay grade.

BETA near/on E3?

by Steve, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 16:36 (3640 days ago) @ ridum

it would be kool

that's all I'm saying

by ridum, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 17:10 (3640 days ago) @ Steve

…is that it would be cool to launch the beta right after the e3 hype and go right into it…

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread