BWU 05/16/2014 (Destiny)

by GrimBrotherIII, Friday, May 16, 2014, 17:00 (3636 days ago)

http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=11545

"The air here is charged with a sense of purpose – not of finality, but inevitability. Every day, another slab of concrete solidifies, and the machine marches inexorable onward."

[On vehicle lovers] "There's a place for us in Destiny"

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, May 16, 2014, 20:18 (3636 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

"See you at E3"

Hnnngggg

[image]

BWU 05/16/2014

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 16, 2014, 20:58 (3636 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

I was happy to read about how the fusion rifle works, I can't wait to see the non-standard weapons in action!

Agreed

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, May 19, 2014, 00:54 (3634 days ago) @ Xenos

I was happy to read about how the fusion rifle works, I can't wait to see the non-standard weapons in action!

I was thinking about that back during one of the drawing boards. I'm very excited to see that we'll be playing with some properly different guns.

BWU 05/16/2014

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, May 16, 2014, 22:44 (3636 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

So the DBO staff will be DeeJ's wingman throughout the event?

Can DeeJ condescendingly pat Grim1 on the head in person now that he works for 343i?

BWU 05/16/2014

by ncsuDuncan @, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 10:30 (3635 days ago) @ ZackDark

So the DBO staff will be DeeJ's wingman throughout the event?

Bullshit.

DeeJ can be mine.

Anytime?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 14:15 (3635 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- No text -

BWU 05/16/2014

by Fuertisimo, Friday, May 16, 2014, 22:56 (3636 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

"According to Moreconsole's information, raids can take upwards of 4 hours or more.

He’s adorable, isn’t he? I’d encourage you to lean closer to “or more” as you set your expectations for what will be demanded of you from the Raid. Good luck. You’ll need it."

4+ hour raids. I'm going to have to revise my thinking on what to expect out of the raid content. Originally I had envisioned single boss encounters at the end of a dungeon, but now I'm wondering if it's going to be more similar to MMO dungeon crawls like some WoW raids, with a dozen or more bosses sprinkled throughout.

Curiouser and couriouser.

If I was working at Bungie, the raid team is where I'd want to be. Endless possibilities.

BWU 05/16/2014

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 00:12 (3636 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

I wonder if a Raid can be done in shifts... some sort of tag team. Devoting four hours seems like a bit much. I mean, I'd do it when I could and have a blast, but it certainly wouldn't be an everyday thing!

Hmm... or maybe Raids are split out into submissions that your Fireteam can push through over multiple sessions. That'd be cool! (Having never done a Raid in WoW or similar... can it work like that? Save in the middle of a hostile dungeon or something and pick it back up later?)

BWU 05/16/2014

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 11:27 (3635 days ago) @ Ragashingo

(Having never done a Raid in WoW or similar... can it work like that? Save in the middle of a hostile dungeon or something and pick it back up later?)

Yes. In WoW There are "quest lines" and sessions that can break up the RAID into bite sized chunks in the events that you can't devote an entire night to it.

I'm certain that Bungie has considered ways to let casual or time-limited players still participate in raids

(Side note: I keep having to delete RAIDs when I type it because I've never typed raid before without meaning RAID)

RAID 5 ftw

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, May 17, 2014, 12:17 (3635 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

BWU 05/16/2014

by Fuertisimo, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 13:13 (3635 days ago) @ JDQuackers

(Having never done a Raid in WoW or similar... can it work like that? Save in the middle of a hostile dungeon or something and pick it back up later?)

Yes. In WoW There are "quest lines" and sessions that can break up the RAID into bite sized chunks in the events that you can't devote an entire night to it.

I'm certain that Bungie has considered ways to let casual or time-limited players still participate in raids

(Side note: I keep having to delete RAIDs when I type it because I've never typed raid before without meaning RAID)

I haven't WoW'd in like... jesus 7 years or something now, but if I recall they typically had raids on weeklong timers, so basically you could come back to a particular raid as many times as you wished in that weeklong span in order to complete it (bosses wouldn't respawn, only trash mobs would, and even then sometimes in limited numbers). I'm not sure that that really makes sense for Destiny, but it could be a possible solution.

4 hours + though... The size and scope of that kind of run in an FPS is remarkable. I hold to my theory that the raid content is going to be the biggest opportunity for Destiny to seperate itself from the rest of the FPS pack.

BWU 05/16/2014

by Dmiller, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 18:39 (3635 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

I haven't WoW'd in like... jesus 7 years or something now, but if I recall they typically had raids on weeklong timers, so basically you could come back to a particular raid as many times as you wished in that weeklong span in order to complete it (bosses wouldn't respawn, only trash mobs would, and even then sometimes in limited numbers). I'm not sure that that really makes sense for Destiny, but it could be a possible solution.

4 hours + though... The size and scope of that kind of run in an FPS is remarkable. I hold to my theory that the raid content is going to be the biggest opportunity for Destiny to seperate itself from the rest of the FPS pack.

Bring your friends and your "A" game. The Raid will test both.

I can assure you you will not be required to play it all in one sitting. I can even imagine a single encounter may take you 4 hours to progress, potentially over multiple sessions. Ymmv of course.

The Raid

by electricpirate @, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 19:30 (3635 days ago) @ Dmiller

I can assure you you will not be required to play it all in one sitting. I can even imagine a single encounter may take you 4 hours to progress, potentially over multiple sessions. Ymmv of course.

The phrasing makes me think that there's just one massive raid instead of multiple different ones... A few bungie fellows have said "The Raid" instead of raids.

The Raid

by Fuertisimo, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 19:40 (3635 days ago) @ electricpirate

The phrasing makes me think that there's just one massive raid instead of multiple different ones... A few bungie fellows have said "The Raid" instead of raids.

Good catch, I noticed that as well but didn't really think too much on it. Re-reading it now it actually makes a lot more sense your way.

If so, terribly disappointing

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, May 17, 2014, 20:08 (3635 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Unless, of course, we get free add-on raids. Refined add-on raids. Nothing tacked on for a quick boost of player base, of course.

The Raid

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, May 18, 2014, 01:34 (3635 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Nah. I can't imagine that with five enemy races and several distinct planets and moons to play on that there is just one raid. Maybe The Raid refers to a particularly hard raid... like at the end of the first section of the story or something... but having one single raid mission even a few hours long makes no sense given Destiny's supposed open world nature.

The Raid

by electricpirate @, Sunday, May 18, 2014, 10:57 (3634 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Nah. I can't imagine that with five enemy races and several distinct planets and moons to play on that there is just one raid. Maybe The Raid refers to a particularly hard raid... like at the end of the first section of the story or something... but having one single raid mission even a few hours long makes no sense given Destiny's supposed open world nature.

Well, you could do it like a super dungeon. Baldur's gate II: Throne of Baal had the excellent "Watcher's Keep" dungeon. It was the biggest dungeon in the game, and could take 15 hours to complete on it's own. It was divided into levels, and as you got strong enough you could push farther. It worked pretty well! Maybe that's the model, a parellel experience you hop in and out of as you play?

Or, maybe there's just one raid in the Beta, and that's what they are talking about?

BWU 05/16/2014

by Fuertisimo, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 19:38 (3635 days ago) @ Dmiller

You've set my imagination in motion anew. Part of me hopes you guys really go off the deep end and design some 20 hour long assault on the fallen homeworld raid or something similarly Michael Baysian in scope and grandeur. The other part of me fears what that would portend for my sleep schedule.

BWU 05/16/2014

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 19:42 (3635 days ago) @ Dmiller

So on a scale from Easy to Legendary - a Raid is Mythic?

(This also makes me want to ask a "How is difficulty determined" question, but since Destiny is still a work in progress I shall give the benefit of the doubt and presume a - "I don't know", till proven otherwise.)

Is it possible to speedrun a raid?

by Avateur @, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 20:01 (3635 days ago) @ Dmiller

I'm not necessarily questioning whether or not someone would actually want to, or if it would ruin the fun, but is it a thing?

This is…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 18, 2014, 16:06 (3634 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

…surprisingly something I'm not necessarily going to complain about.

BWU 05/16/2014

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, May 18, 2014, 16:12 (3634 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

"According to Moreconsole's information, raids can take upwards of 4 hours or more.

4+ hour raids. I'm going to have to revise my thinking on what to expect out of the raid content. Originally I had envisioned single boss encounters at the end of a dungeon, but now I'm wondering if it's going to be more similar to MMO dungeon crawls like some WoW raids, with a dozen or more bosses sprinkled throughout.

I do not mind this one bit as long as the "30 seconds of fun" are frequent and completely outshine the tedious bits where you're not really exploring anywhere exciting. Destiny seems like it will take up quite a chunk of my time and for a long while after I take it home. Count me in! (as if I wasn't already...)

BWU 05/16/2014

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 16:05 (3635 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Some thought blurbs:

• I was really really hoping for some stuff about the factions. :(
    Now I has a sad. Like a panda. A sad panda. How sad.
  • Once the Beta comes around we should have a thread dedicated to "bugs" found - presuming any are.
    Though we could post it on Bungie.net - Nah.
  • Apparently we start Destiny naked. You can customize the Type, Sex, Race, and all the particulars therein to your character immediately when you start destiny - and that's it. I wonder if those in the world of destiny have ever heard of the Celts. There is a fallen joke in there somewhere.
  • Chopper Type Vehicle obviously to be confirmed at E3. ("Spent most of your time defending the base so the enemy team couldn't make off with your beloved ride")
    Even if it isn't - Make it so!
  • First one to spam DeeJs PM box with "Can I go to E3" a million times gets recon in Destiny. Unless DeeJ posts some faction stuff during the week. Have I mentioned that nothing was mentioned about factions this week? NO!? Oh.
  • Nothing was mentioned about factions this week
  • We are close to the twenty day mark till E3.
  • Don't Click this.

Yep.

BWU 05/16/2014

by Fuertisimo, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 21:35 (3635 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

The only thing you need to know is that Dead Orbit is the best orbit.

I see your leekspin and raise you...

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, May 18, 2014, 11:07 (3634 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

So much internet in these posts.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, May 18, 2014, 15:49 (3634 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

Just how is it that he hasn't fanboy'd hard over this...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, May 18, 2014, 16:18 (3634 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Chopper Type Vehicle obviously to be confirmed at E3. ("Spent most of your time defending the base so the enemy team couldn't make off with your beloved ride")

Where are you, Paddy?

So it is written

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Sunday, May 18, 2014, 22:28 (3634 days ago) @ Grizzlei

We already know the sparrow will handle much like the Chopper as it has bike status, but a vehicle with MAXIMUM POWUH... that I am excited for.

We ride, we ride, we never subside, we'll ride til the planets collide.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread