First fully printed Inconel engines (Off-Topic)

by scarab @, Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 10:48 (3617 days ago)

SpaceX are at it again with their latest Dragon craft: the Dragon V2.

• Powered landing with the accuracy of a helicopter. Plus backup shutes if engines fail.
  • fully printed Inconel engines
  • capable of autonomous docking
  • holds 7 people for several days
  • and just all round cool

But I think that the British are our best bet for Guardian style space planes.

Spaceplanes

by Axelrod vK, NC, USA, Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 14:00 (3617 days ago) @ scarab

Airbus recently staged a drop test on their version, looked a little destiny-like as well. Can't wait for this industry to really take off......lol

It looks a bit half-hearted compared to Skylon

by scarab @, Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 14:26 (3616 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

Skylon's rockets can switch from air breathing to internal O2 tanks. It liquefies the incoming air in under a hundredth of a second and pumps that to the rockets. Or at least it will when it's built.

It looks a bit half-hearted compared to Skylon

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 10:09 (3613 days ago) @ scarab

Skylon's rockets can switch from air breathing to internal O2 tanks. It liquefies the incoming air in under a hundredth of a second and pumps that to the rockets. Or at least it will when it's built.

"When"? No: IF. And I can't stress how BIG that "IF" is. Compared to SpaceX and the Dragon V2, Reaction Engine's Skylon is all but vaporware. The Skylon is to space-access what the Moller Skycar is to flying cars. Actually it's worse; at least the Moller Skycar actually has had (slightly) successful tethered flight tests. They have successfully tested the engines for the Skylon, but Singe-Stage-To-Orbit is so much more than an engine test.

SpaceX has successfully demonstrated landing a liquid rocket on the Grasshopper....Reaction Engines has a static ground test of their bare engine.

No, the Dragon V2 if anything is "double hearted" when compared to the Skylon.

I was referring to Airbus' effort - I like SpaceX

by scarab @, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 02:49 (3612 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread