pete's OT thread (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Friday, June 06, 2014, 08:53 (3617 days ago)

Squirrels are so.. HBO. Now I'm looking at bamboo. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but thought it would be fun.

The pre-alpha was a completely uninformed, failed experiment that I don't want to discuss.

This was the alpha, has about 2" of roots that had extended over a parking lot. It is about 2 weeks old and has been dying a slow death:
[image]

It was also uninformed. Watching it die, I did some research and found out, hey, roots are important. So I went to gather a larger specimen that would have a greater chance of survival. I present, the beta:

[image]

pete's OT thread

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, June 06, 2014, 09:06 (3617 days ago) @ petetheduck

Don't leave that outside or you'll get an infestation of pandas.

Public Beta?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, June 06, 2014, 09:11 (3617 days ago) @ petetheduck

Do we need a beta code to enjoy the progress? Or is this a friends-and-family sort of deal?

Also, if you do end up with an infestation of pandas, that might solve the squirrel problem!

pete's OT thread

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, June 06, 2014, 09:26 (3617 days ago) @ petetheduck

cool.

yes roots are important, but so is soil. Bamboo is a large plant, and it looks like you only had a pint of soil in the 'alpha' build.

pete's OT thread

by petetheduck, Saturday, July 05, 2014, 15:25 (3588 days ago) @ petetheduck

Well, the Beta was very nearly a complete failure.

[image]

See that small pot? That's all that remains. It never had any real feeder roots in the first place and quickly and substantially deteriorated within a few days. I started trimming the dead bits to relieve stress on it, and what would you know--the stalk that was doing the worst and that I had trimmed nearly to the ground started to put out new growth.

Just got the two big ones. They have nice feeder roots so we'll see how they do--they've been out of the ground for just a couple days. They're about 8', which is half their original height.

I'd like to get some real potting soil--nothing but clay here. Of course, if I do that, I can't claim to have spent $0 on this little endeavor so I'm seeing how long I can hold out on that.

DBO: Watching giant grass grow

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, July 06, 2014, 16:44 (3587 days ago) @ petetheduck

See that small pot? That's all that remains. It never had any real feeder roots in the first place and quickly and substantially deteriorated within a few days. I started trimming the dead bits to relieve stress on it, and what would you know--the stalk that was doing the worst and that I had trimmed nearly to the ground started to put out new growth.

Just got the two big ones. They have nice feeder roots so we'll see how they do--they've been out of the ground for just a couple days. They're about 8', which is half their original height.

well, good luck

I'd like to get some real potting soil--nothing but clay here. Of course, if I do that, I can't claim to have spent $0 on this little endeavor so I'm seeing how long I can hold out on that.

Couldn't you just, I don't know, find a place with good soil and grab some? I can't imagine anyone* getting mad over a few bucketfuls of dirt unless they're using it.

* I can totally imagine someone getting mad about taking unused dirt, but not anyone that's reasonable most of the time

pete's OT thread

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, July 07, 2014, 04:15 (3586 days ago) @ petetheduck

If you need free dirt, I've got a ripe compost heap in my backyard that you could pilfer... you just need to make the beautiful drive over to Bahama/Rougemont area

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread