Leaked Destiny Videos (Destiny)

by Fuertisimo, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 11:39 (3622 days ago)

Just out of curiosity, how easy is to figure out who the leaker is and how much shit are they in?

Leaked Destiny Videos

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 11:47 (3622 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Probably not that hard. Since the game is always online, there's probably a ton of game events that get sent back and forth from the servers. It wouldn't be too difficult to piece together who it was from the pool of players that would have access, and then narrow it down by matching the video events with player event logs.

Leaked Destiny Videos

by ferrex, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 12:22 (3622 days ago) @ kanbo

We nabbed a leaker in Halo 3 simply because his video showed him killing a Banshee with a Laser with a Rocket Launcher on his back.

Didn't even need to use the multiple watermarks that he missed when he blacked out the decoy.

Good times.

Leaked Destiny Videos

by Fuertisimo, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 12:29 (3622 days ago) @ ferrex

So is this guy like a friends and family person who just decided that trust is optional rather than mandatory for these alphas or what?

I honestly don't know who has access to these things but it would be hard for me to believe that someone who was actually working on the game would do it.

Leaked Destiny Videos

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 12:34 (3622 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

So is this guy like a friends and family person who just decided that trust is optional rather than mandatory for these alphas or what?

I honestly don't know who has access to these things but it would be hard for me to believe that someone who was actually working on the game would do it.

You would be surprised, particularly with people new to the industry.

Leaked Destiny Videos

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 12:34 (3622 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

What makes you think Bungie only has friends in Bungie?

Leaked Destiny Videos

by ferrex, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 13:35 (3622 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

No idea, I'm afraid. The Banhammer is in different hands this time around.

I don't believe it's anyone in-house, though. I didn't see the black vans parked out front when I came in.

Leaked Destiny Videos

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 18:06 (3621 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

There have been leak instances in the past where it turned out someone who was authorized had a devkit or something at home, and someone there (their kid, etc.) managed to get access and grab some footage, unbeknownst to the authorized party.

For what it's worth, I don't think I'm going to bother looking for this leak footage. Not with E3 right around the corner anyway.

Leaked Destiny Videos

by Fuertisimo, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 19:15 (3621 days ago) @ stabbim

There have been leak instances in the past where it turned out someone who was authorized had a devkit or something at home, and someone there (their kid, etc.) managed to get access and grab some footage, unbeknownst to the authorized party.

For what it's worth, I don't think I'm going to bother looking for this leak footage. Not with E3 right around the corner anyway.

Yeah not much point. It looks like it was fairly quickly scrubbed from most places anyhow, so I'm sure the exposure is limited mostly to people who really want to find it.

Leaked Destiny Videos

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 11:50 (3622 days ago) @ Fuertisimo
edited by INSANEdrive, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 12:40

Just out of curiosity, how easy is to figure out who the leaker is and how much shit are they in?

Depends what the video shows and how much compartmentalized data is shown. We are on the cusp of E3. Srsly.

No words needed.

Edit: It also looks (I mean... it is the internet) like the person is already known, and has basically confessed of "recording the video while their friend played". Apparently, and by my interpretation, is smug enough to not be worried of losing their job. Very simple google-foo will tell the tale of an open world firefight - A-LA Halo 3 ODST.

Let the games begin.

[image]

(The voice acting still needs work)

Because I know the question is going to be asked.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 14:20 (3622 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

For those who did not see it - most of the leak involved the "patrol" game type with all its exploring and shooting things in the face. Nothing we haven't already seen officially. That said it was nice to see some of the "shared world" mechanics in place at the 22-30 minute part of the stream. That portion was pretty cool. Its going to be fun to turn the corner and just see a battle in the distance. Presuming that was a warlock in the distance, that nova bomb has some pretty killer range.

Everything else I'm not going to talk about unless asked because its an Alpha.

All that said, if you can't find it (most has been nuked from the net) its not all that big of a deal.

I imagine what we see at E3 will be more... eventful.

by petetheduck, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 18:15 (3621 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

So, that bit where the only light was the player's flashlight (ghost?) and the Hive's EYES GLOWED.. <3

You aren't helping Pete.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 20:17 (3621 days ago) @ petetheduck

Sidenote: I know it’s an alpha, but I want to nitpick the H.U.D so much... they can still change things right? The inner designer in me is all STREAMLINE this and LEGIBILITY that. I can't hold it back... if I don't do this now I'm going to screen cap the leaked stuff (which I know I shouldn't do) and go into photoshop and make it "right", and post it here in hopes that top men see it. Top. Men. In fact… I might just do that anyway. I’m even doing this for free. I'm loving you all so HARD right now! Can you feel the power!? It’s Warm – like fresh baked cinnamon rolls.

The HUD is hard to read in some cases because of the background color (the game space), and frankly I don't think they made the best use of the screen real-estate. I'm not saying it’s bad... but the modder in me wants to mod it. In one of the clips a person was supposed to hold down an area (the “Warsat”), but it became very obvious (or at least seemed that way) that the person had no idea what the actual objective was. In the top left (about 10’O Clock) there is a timer, something about “Guardians Linked” and the Objective – “Defend the Warsat” which the player was in fact doing, but that wasn't the objective. Wait what? Yep. The game being played in this case is supposed to be more like capture the hill then slayer, as implied by the location sensitive (it appears only when you are in the right area) VERY VERY hard to read white text “Transmitting Warsat” and the time left to do so at 6’O Clock. It is hard to read because Old Russia has (I’m guessing here) snow on the ground. If you can’t communicate, then the ENTIRE REASON of having a HUD becomes moot.

At risk of ignorance, they could very easily make something of… I’m going to say minimalist style (and I reserve the right to be wrong)… use the area at 10’O Clock to give all this same data. In fact Ill even go so far as to say that 10'O Clock is Prime location for all the external player information that involves objective data (while 7'O Clock is more personal player information - sans health).This is serious business people. You might want to step back. :P

[image]

I want to poke at the stuff in the 1-4’O Clock range, but I have a feeling that most that stuff is purely for alpha related stuff. If I see this in the beta though... mmm hmmm. So in conclusion...We don't have duck eyes. Your Bias of Pete is becoming increasingly obvious Bungie.

Well... I'm glad I got that out.

:)

You aren't helping Pete.

by petetheduck, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 20:51 (3621 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

We should definitely make a HUD thread during the beta.

You aren't helping Pete.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 07:44 (3621 days ago) @ petetheduck

We should definitely make a HUD thread during the beta.

Tomorrow we'll have seen the HUD. No need to wait until July.

~m

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 20:28 (3621 days ago) @ petetheduck

So, that bit where the only light was the player's flashlight (ghost?) and the Hive's EYES GLOWED.. <3

Very strong lighting response on some objects can legitimately be beneficial for gameplay feedback, too. Like telling you that you're about to get eaten by a walrus. Or seeing corners in RalliSport Challenge 2 nighttime races.

Leaked Destiny Videos

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 21:48 (3621 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Some of the videos that I was sent to clearly show the guy's full name on the share/dashboard screen, and apparently he's already been found out.

On a related non-spoilery note, man that looked so generic and boring... Then again, it's one thing to watch, and another to play, but the whole "stand on the outside of the room and pepper the bad AI inside" thing has been done to death, and Borderlands gave you incentive to rush in. Definitely not a game that I can see being sustained for ten years with a dependable player-base.

We shall see...

Leaked Destiny Videos

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 01:49 (3621 days ago) @ Korny

On a related non-spoilery note, man that looked so generic and boring... Then again, it's one thing to watch, and another to play, but the whole "stand on the outside of the room and pepper the bad AI inside" thing has been done to death

So are collection quests. Oh, collect wire wraps off dead enemy bodies for a quest bonus? No thanks.

If I were Bungie I'd be pissed at this leak, because it really makes the game look like weak sauce. I don't think the game is as bad as it looks, but appearances matter when you need to make back $500 mil.

Leaked Destiny Videos

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 14:08 (3621 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If I were Bungie I'd be pissed at this leak, because it really makes the game look like weak sauce. I don't think the game is as bad as it looks, but appearances matter when you need to make back $500 mil.

I was thinking about that $500 million figure the other day. Then I thought about how Microsoft was saying that Halo had made 3 billion back before Halo 4 came out. Destiny will cost even more over time, sure, but I wouldn't bet against it being a good investment over ten years.

Leaked Destiny Videos

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 14:14 (3621 days ago) @ Kermit

I was thinking about that $500 million figure the other day. Then I thought about how Microsoft was saying that Halo had made 3 billion back before Halo 4 came out. Destiny will cost even more over time, sure, but I wouldn't bet against it being a good investment over ten years.

Adding on to this, the best marketing for Destiny will undoubtedly be word of mouth. How many games will be bought because people want to play with their friends? One sale could yield four more.

Leaked Destiny Videos

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 14:35 (3620 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Adding on to this, the best marketing for Destiny will undoubtedly be word of mouth. How many games will be bought because people want to play with their friends? One sale could yield four more.

That effect can be huge, even with a "meh" game. In my mind, it's the sole reason anyone owns any CoD games.

*No disrespect if you like CoD. But for me, it's never held any attraction. I've tried it several times, and not once did anything I would describe as fun happen.

Depends who is playing

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 06:29 (3621 days ago) @ Korny

"stand on the outside of the room and pepper the bad AI inside"

I think I sometimes played Halo like that.

Leaked Destiny Videos - agreed

by ridum, Monday, June 09, 2014, 12:24 (3620 days ago) @ Korny

this leak sux and it sux that somebody leaked it …

I'm sorry I even watched it it is boring and it is an Alpha and has hardly any 'paint' on the walls…

lame…it would seem if someone was doosh enuf to leak a video it would be something substantial….

…we'll learn ALOT more tomorrow than that leak showed…. ok

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread