Luke Smith describes Destiny in a nutshell (Destiny)

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 14:25 (3612 days ago)

In the form of a GAF post.

Not a whole lot of newness, but if you're looking for "concentrated description of Destiny by someone at Bungie", this is it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=115321786&postcount=1557

Interesting!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 14:31 (3612 days ago) @ uberfoop

I want Destiny to be a cruel dominatrix that I can chill out with my friends with.

I need an adult!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 14:43 (3612 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

The safeword is "Friendship"

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 15:10 (3612 days ago) @ Grizzlei

[image]

The safeword is "Friendship"

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 15:16 (3612 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

If you really wanted to be cruel, the safeword would be "W'rcacnter". Pronounce it wrong, and you keep getting wailed on!

Or is it W'rkncacnter?

:-p

Silly Cody.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 15:28 (3612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you really wanted to be cruel, the safeword would be "W'rcacnter". Pronounce it wrong, and you keep getting wailed on!

Or is it W'rkncacnter?

:-p

It's obviously Eyjafjallajökull.

Obviously.

Luke Smith describes Destiny in a nutshell

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 14:39 (3612 days ago) @ uberfoop

It actually doesn't sound very different from the picture I'd built in my head. I think all this information is out there in some form, and people who are paying very close attention to all the news tidbits (read: people who congregate here) probably were already on the right track. But the huddled masses are probably still very confused. I'm going to start pointing them toward Luke's post. :)

So what does this mean for E3?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 14:49 (3612 days ago) @ uberfoop
edited by INSANEdrive, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 14:55

They know they have a message problem (not that this was hard to miss with all the "its borderlands halo mmo" jibber jabber), but will it show when they present themselves at E3? Will they specify this, because I think Luke did a good job clarifying and steering that salt ship away from the rocks (well as much as you can for NeoGAF). They just need to do this at a much larger scale.

At this point is the E3 script already set? Or could they throw this in before the scheduled program?

Or better yet they could just say this...

"Destiny is what you make of it". Amen. ;)

Also Raids are probably set at 6 now. Solves this. Unless of course we can brake it in the beta and make it 8. :P (That's how it works right?)

Edit: In fact - they got 24 hours. Make a VIdoc. :P

So what does this mean for E3?

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 19:55 (3612 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

It's always refreshing to hear devs admit the shortcomings of their project. Sometimes you wonder if the emperor is running around with no clothes, you know?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 15:11 (3612 days ago) @ uberfoop

Story missions - soloable activities (you can still play them in groups of up to 3!), often with ties to the main story arc of Destiny (the campaign). These activities appear at various Levels (numerical, relative to the player) and choosing a higher level (relative to you) means you're opting in for some additional challenge.

THANK GOODNESS. My only concern now is whether all the story missions will be playable by someone like me who has no interest in leveling up or gathering resources, or if the highest levels require leveling up your avatar to complete because the additional challenge is so much.

Strikes - 3 player activities, with bosses and loot at the end. Their goal is a highly replayable activity that will - at higher levels - lead you into the loot game.

Sounds like Nephalem rifts in Diablo 3, and those get old once you've seen most of the set pieces and bosses. They are only replayable insofar as you have desire for gear. Gear sounds less crucial in Destiny than in D3, so we'll see.

Explore - cruise around the surface of a planet in Fireteams of up to 3, taking odd jobs and tasks for the City. You can find minerals and resources out in the world that you'll have some use for as you find weapons in Destiny that you want to stick with. This is a lower intensity activity.

Sounds like most shitty MMO quests, unless exploration expands story mission options. Filler essentially.

Raids - 6 player, cooperative required, communication required gameplay. High challenge. We haven't talked much about this yet and I'm not going start that conversation here on NeoGAF.

This mode is probably what I want to hear most about in upcoming events / reveals.

by marmot 1333 @, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 17:58 (3612 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Strikes - 3 player activities, with bosses and loot at the end. Their goal is a highly replayable activity that will - at higher levels - lead you into the loot game.

Sounds like Nephalem rifts in Diablo 3, and those get old once you've seen most of the set pieces and bosses. They are only replayable insofar as you have desire for gear. Gear sounds less crucial in Destiny than in D3, so we'll see.

I always imagined strikes as similar to firefight mode. However, firefight mode seems even more repetitive than both what they've shown of and how they've described strikes.
That being said, I played a lot of firefight despite the fact that it was repetitive. To each his/her own.

Explore - cruise around the surface of a planet in Fireteams of up to 3, taking odd jobs and tasks for the City. You can find minerals and resources out in the world that you'll have some use for as you find weapons in Destiny that you want to stick with. This is a lower intensity activity.

Sounds like most shitty MMO quests, unless exploration expands story mission options. Filler essentially.

To me it sounds more like looking for easter eggs, looking for hidden away places, maybe you just want to explore the world. There was a quote recently about ramping your shrike off of a jump to find some hidden grotto or something. This is what I imagine "Explore" means. In Skyrim I spent a lot of time just walking from waypoint to waypoint, not even fighting anything. Not doing quests. Just exploring the world. I like this kind of activity.

Another questions.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 15:27 (3612 days ago) @ uberfoop

Yay English of Mastery! Questions much!

Reading over and over Lukes post these parts jump at me:

Story missions - soloable activities (you can still play them in groups of up to 3!)
Strikes - 3 player activities
Explore - cruise around the surface of a planet in Fireteams of up to 3
Raids - 6 player (Two Fireteams?)

How big is a Fireteam? Or am I reading "team" too literately? Or is the wording just a slip and a fire team is literately a group of three? Does that mean there will be only three people at a time in any one match made space? Or is it just the total amount of people who can be linked with you?...or something. What is the maximum number of people in a game play space? What is to stop them all of joining us? Mega Dance Party in Destiny?!

GAAAA! E3 hurry up ur butt!

Another questions.

by Dmiller, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 16:03 (3612 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

How big is a Fireteam?

Dmiller: 3 or 6 depending on the activity. PVP can handle anything up to 6.

Or am I reading "team" too literately? Or is the wording just a slip and a fire team is literately a group of three? Does that mean there will be only three people at a time in any one match made space?
Or is it just the total amount of people who can be linked with you?...or something. What is the maximum number of people in a game play space? What is to stop them all of joining us? Mega Dance Party in Destiny?!

Dmiller: In public bubbles the rule is we can allow three fireteams of 6 players.

So...

3 solo fireteams
or
3 Two-man fireteams
or
2 three-man fireteams

There are some edge-case exceptions that aren't worth discussing.

Another questions.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 16:07 (3612 days ago) @ Dmiller

Dmiller: In public bubbles the rule is we can allow three fireteams of 6 players.

So...

3 solo fireteams
or
3 Two-man fireteams
or
2 three-man fireteams

To make sure I'm understanding this correctly, is that "of" supposed to be an "or"? i.e. "each fireteam is up to 3 people, and the game will permit bringing people together until it gets to either 3 fireteams or six players."

Another questions.

by Dmiller, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 16:09 (3612 days ago) @ uberfoop

Three fireteams AND six players. You cannot have six solo fireteams.

Another questions.

by Avateur @, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 18:38 (3612 days ago) @ Dmiller

So no chance for Big Team Battle or Big Team Co-Op or something? Or am I misunderstanding?

Another questions.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 19:49 (3612 days ago) @ Avateur

So no chance for Big Team Battle or Big Team Co-Op or something? Or am I misunderstanding?

That's all right with me. My favorite multiplayer mode in all of Halo is the basic 4x4 Team Slayer. With smaller numbers your actions become more meaningful. You can focus on outwitting and out shooting the two guys in front of you rather than trying to manage an entire battlefield around you all at once.

Another questions.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 16:18 (3612 days ago) @ Dmiller

So the limit on PvP is 6v6?

Another questions.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 16:23 (3612 days ago) @ Dmiller
edited by INSANEdrive, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 16:35

How big is a Fireteam?

Or am I reading "team" too literately? Or is the wording just a slip and a fire team is literately a group of three? Does that mean there will be only three people at a time in any one match made space?
Or is it just the total amount of people who can be linked with you?...or something. What is the maximum number of people in a game play space? What is to stop them all of joining us? Mega Dance Party in Destiny?!

So...

3 solo fireteams
or
3 Two-man fireteams
or
2 three-man fireteams

There are some edge-case exceptions that aren't worth discussing.

Oh! Well thank you. :)

So I suppose that means any one space will have a maximum of 6 people in the game space at "all" times, except in multiplayer. That is admittedly smaller then I expected. So therefor its plausible that if this limit has been made due to technical concerns then Bungie would have balanced the game so that six people total (along with abit a skill and the luck it affords) could defeat even the most hardy and menacing of foes. Therefor a lone guardian can very likely hold its own - nicely.

Interesting.

Edit: Wow... Just checked the E3 2013 footage, and to my surprise there are six players in the gamespace, plus our viewing character which makes it seven (Shock!/s). That makes one year later one player down. I didn't count before so I thought there was more then that. That's...

This game is going to kick so much ass. <3 Bungie.

Another questions.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 16:29 (3612 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

That is admittedly smaller then I expected.

It's bigger than I expected. Upstream bandwidth limitations in peer-to-peer hosting is supposedly one of the main reasons that Halo stuck with input-lag-adding synchronous networking in coop, even with the host serving a maximum of 3 clients.

It sounded like Destiny wasn't going use dedis as game host, and so, especially if they want a really responsive game (it is, after focused on online coop), five clients actually seems really ambitious. Though it makes me wonder if we're not go to see any super ridiculously massive-scale fights.

Should be exciting watching this all roll out.

Another questions.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 16:40 (3612 days ago) @ uberfoop
edited by INSANEdrive, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 16:43

That is admittedly smaller then I expected.

It's bigger than I expected. Upstream bandwidth limitations in peer-to-peer hosting is supposedly one of the main reasons that Halo stuck with input-lag-adding synchronous networking in coop, even with the host serving a maximum of 3 clients.

It sounded like Destiny wasn't going use dedis as game host, and so, especially if they want a really responsive game (it is, after focused on online coop), five clients actually seems really ambitious. Though it makes me wonder if we're not go to see any super ridiculously massive-scale fights.

Should be exciting watching this all roll out.

As per the edit of my post, my expectations were based on what I felt we saw during E3 last year. Admittedly such might be foolish (everything you see at E3 is real /s), but at least with Bungie I know they have learned about over delivering at E3 and do their best for it to never happen again, hence why I took what they showed to conclusion.

LFG must have 1400 gearscore and all the achievements. .

by Atsumi ⌂, Jefferson City, MO, Monday, June 09, 2014, 05:33 (3612 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread