Phil Spencer speaks Destiny stuffs. (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 08, 2014, 20:30 (3620 days ago)

In a 11 min 34 sec podcast (or whatever its called), Phil mentioned two things that I feel are of note. Nothing game changing, but its good to know for those on the Xbox side of things.

1. Thanks to the June SDK, Destiny will be getting a resolution buff for the Xbox One.

2. The core elements of Destiny will not require gold. CO-Op and Multiplayer would still require gold. Confused?

Here let me roughly transcript:

...Destiny is a great example of a next gen game experience that I think maybe we will see more of. A game that blends a single player story driven campaign with online spaces where you will see other players, [...and ya know while...] thinking of next gen games one of the things I want to make clear to people in these single player experiences where you see other people in story driven mode, those will obviously be on Xbox live. Those aren't Gold features, those will be features that people can use if they are free member of xbox live. Now obviously PvP, Co-Op ... the stuff that fully uses xbox live is still gold.

Take from this what you will.

(Be gentle Cody)

Phil Spencer speaks Destiny stuffs.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, June 09, 2014, 08:29 (3620 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

So... Does this mean if Cody really really wants to play by himself he can do so by not paying for Gold? He'd see other players but would never be able to join up with them?

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Monday, June 09, 2014, 16:24 (3619 days ago) @ Ragashingo

My interpretation is that you'll need gold in order to play things like PVP and Raids that you enter with a group, while story missions will only require Silver despite having a multiplayer element.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, June 09, 2014, 20:55 (3619 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

My interpretation is that you'll need gold in order to play things like PVP and Raids that you enter with a group, while story missions will only require Silver despite having a multiplayer element.

Huh.

So Bungie thinks so much of cooperative play that they made it a core component of Destiny's campaign.

Microsoft thinks so little of cooperative play that they don't care if it sneaks in through their paywall.

Interesting.

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 09:13 (3618 days ago) @ narcogen

It could also be that Public Events happen on silver but joining a fireteam takes Gold. So, you could play the game, see other players, but not invite them to join you for an activity.

So will the Beta require Gold/PS+ ?

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 16:01 (3618 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Yes, see this Wired story.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 20:04 (3618 days ago) @ Mr Daax

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/destiny-alpha/

A bit snarky for my taste, but he mentions it.

Thank you sir!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 22:44 (3618 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread