Question for the management: ViDoc Library

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 19:10 (4090 days ago)

Over at HBO there are the various cutscene libraries, and they are a fantastic resource, but I often wish for a… marketing or ViDoc Library… for lack of a better term. Some place one could go to see the various announcement trailers and ViDocs. You can, with enough effort, track down most or all of the cool official Halo related videos, but it isn't easy. So I guess part of my (cross-site!) question is why doesn't HBO have something like that. Bandwidth? Copyright? Nobody volunteered to make one? But more importantly to this site, is that something DBO could have from the beginning? I think it would be a great to catalog Destiny from its beginnings and I'd hate for these really cool videos to get (somewhat) lost over the next decade like Halo's have.

Awesome idea!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 19:37 (4090 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 19:39 (4090 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:25 (4090 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Can't comment on HBO, but the team is hard at work making sure that content on DBO is easily accesible and properly catalogged. There's a lot of careful consideration and planning going on right now (except when Claude is being grouchy.)

Oops, didn't see you there.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:35 (4090 days ago) @ biggy

This is what happens when you leave the post reply page open and you go make a sandwich.

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:37 (4090 days ago) @ Leviathan

What kinda sandwich you eating?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:42 (4090 days ago) @ biggy

What kinda sandwich you eating?

Peanut butter and jelly.

... I'm kind of a weird eater. I have one almost every day.

There's never a bad time for PB&J

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:56 (4090 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

PBJ

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:57 (4090 days ago) @ Leviathan

Eating a PBJ isn't weird at all. Doing it near midnight however…

PBJ

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:02 (4090 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Doing it near midnight however…

...is incredibly strange and unhealthy! *said through a peanut butter hampered mouth*

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:33 (4090 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Over at HBO there are the various cutscene libraries, and they are a fantastic resource, but I often wish for a… marketing or ViDoc Library… for lack of a better term. Some place one could go to see the various announcement trailers and ViDocs. You can, with enough effort, track down most or all of the cool official Halo related videos, but it isn't easy. So I guess part of my (cross-site!) question is why doesn't HBO have something like that. Bandwidth? Copyright? Nobody volunteered to make one? But more importantly to this site, is that something DBO could have from the beginning? I think it would be a great to catalog Destiny from its beginnings and I'd hate for these really cool videos to get (somewhat) lost over the next decade like Halo's have.

Speak of the devil. I just mentioned this today at the Grand Council Chambers. We'll have to see if that Despot Errera will listen to his plebeians' cries.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 02:17 (4090 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Over at HBO there are the various cutscene libraries, and they are a fantastic resource, but I often wish for a… marketing or ViDoc Library… for lack of a better term. Some place one could go to see the various announcement trailers and ViDocs. Y

This would show only ViDocs:

http://rampancy.net/movies?order=created&sort=desc&js=1&tid_op=or&tid=783&tid_1_op=or&tid_1=A...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 06:16 (4090 days ago) @ narcogen

Cool, I did not remember you had that. But I'd also love to see things like Return to Sender, Starry Night, the Reach and Halo 3 announce trailers, the famous Halo 2 real time demo, whatever Halo 2 ads I've forgotten, Halo 1 stuff. All in one nice chronological list with downloadable files, not youtube links that can vanish some time between now and 2023.

For Destiny it would be at least Brave New World, Pathways Out of Darkness, and the PS4 announce trailer.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 08:11 (4090 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Cool, I did not remember you had that. But I'd also love to see things like Return to Sender, Starry Night, the Reach and Halo 3 announce trailers, the famous Halo 2 real time demo, whatever Halo 2 ads I've forgotten, Halo 1 stuff. All in one nice chronological list with downloadable files, not youtube links that can vanish some time between now and 2023.

This part made me laugh. :)

Downloadable files for most Destiny-related footage is going to be hard to find; apparently YouTube is going to be the primary outlet for this stuff. (Not the ONLY outlet - but alternatives are going to require more than just being some guy on the internet.) And while I'm not saying we can't actually get our hands on these alternatives, I AM saying that we'll almost certainly be asked (nicely) not to provide a downloadable archive.

Sorry.

For Destiny it would be at least Brave New World, Pathways Out of Darkness, and the PS4 announce trailer.

O Brave New World had a few seconds of Destiny footage (in an hour-long video)... you really count that as a 'Destiny' video?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 08:38 (4090 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I understand the limitations, and I have selfish motivations. For example, I have some good friends who are long-time gamers and who have very recently got on board the Xbox bandwagon. I'd like very much to take them through the Halo experience, but as part of that, I wish I could replicate some of the marketing build-up before they play each game.

Granted, I've got most of this stuff stashed away somewhere, but I bet I don't have everything.

I'm certainly sending them every bit of Destiny stuff, as it becomes available.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 09:28 (4090 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Downloadable files for most Destiny-related footage is going to be hard to find; apparently YouTube is going to be the primary outlet for this stuff. (Not the ONLY outlet - but alternatives are going to require more than just being some guy on the internet.) And while I'm not saying we can't actually get our hands on these alternatives, I AM saying that we'll almost certainly be asked (nicely) not to provide a downloadable archive.

Hey we could always ask Bungie, there is the mail sack. I know Activision will have some say too, but you never know what Bungie will say.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 10:21 (4090 days ago) @ Xenos

Hey we could always ask Bungie, there is the mail sack. I know Activision will have some say too, but you never know what Bungie will say.

Ah, but see, I DO know what Bungie will say - because I asked. (Last week.)

Touché!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 12:32 (4090 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I should check who I am replying to before I reply :-D

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:28 (4089 days ago) @ Claude Errera

This part made me laugh. :)

Really? I have no trouble downloading from YouTube. The PS4 one was even available in 1080p MP4.

The benefit of being under the radar is that I doubt anybody will ask me to do a damn thing-- nicely or not :)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:27 (4089 days ago) @ Ragashingo

A lot of those are there, too, they're just not all tagged "vidoc" because... well, because they're not all ViDocs. Bungie has posted some (but not all) on their YouTube channel now (have to remember it didn't exist as a thing way back when) but I've also refurbished and transcoded all the old H1/H2 era content I had to H264/MP4 so it's playable in the browser.

If you find something on YouTube that belongs in the collection, drop me a note! If you find anything on your hard drive that you think people might want to see, but isn't appropriate for YouTube (for whatever reason), let me know and I'll see what I can do to get a version online.

You can also just try filtering movies by game or use other tags like "documentary" to find stuff in R.net's collection.

http://rampancy.net/movies

by manti452, Dublin, Ireland, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 05:47 (4090 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Would definitely love to see something like this. I've bookmarked a thread from Mig (I think) that linked to a lot of the Halo related ads. I do like to go back and watch stuff like the ODST trailer, birth of a spartan, believe and starry night from time to time

+100

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 07:29 (4090 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread