Early astronauts needed guns (Sony E3) (Destiny)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:10 (3620 days ago)

This makes me sad.

Beta Starts on July 17th for Playstation

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:12 (3620 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

And "Soon After" On XBox

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 05:25 (3619 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Early look Alpha?

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:13 (3620 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Dude, what a huge early time gap for Playstation owners. Feeling real snubbed over here :(

Did I hear that right? PS gets to play alpha too?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:13 (3620 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I feel like a mac user. :(

Well...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:15 (3620 days ago) @ Grizzlei

The Traveler recon mission was probably brought up by spooked up military, so it kind of makes sense...

Well...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:16 (3620 days ago) @ ZackDark

The Traveler recon mission was probably brought up by spooked up military, so it kind of makes sense...

[image]

Link to trailer

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:20 (3620 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I need more!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:21 (3620 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Nice trailer. Really really really need more play-time footage. Hopefully we see a lot more from Bungie this week. The trailer got me excited but not really pumped up. I'm a bit diss appointed that we saw more last e3 than this year (in the press conference). A ViDoc about MP would suffice I think :)

Exclusive Alpha Access June 12th-15th for PS4

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:21 (3620 days ago) @ Grizzlei
edited by SigbiasSilva, Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:27

by Decom @, Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:26 (3620 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

If you're selected, you will receive
a notification on your PlayStation®4
system and an e-mail will be sent
to the e-mail address associated
with the PSN ID before
12:01am PDT, Friday, June 13th.

Hmm, that's disheartening.

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:32 (3620 days ago) @ Decom

with the PSN ID before

Indeed, though PlayStation users already have the earlier beta access too. That said... good luck!

by Zero @, Florida, Monday, June 09, 2014, 19:03 (3620 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

with the PSN ID before

Indeed, though PlayStation users already have the earlier beta access too. That said... good luck!

Now, Bungie surprisingly makes no mention of Playstation getting early access to the Beta, just the 4 extra days in the Alpha. To Bungie, the 17th is the public beta, so that makes me wonder if the early access that was talked about (and leaked) was just for the Alpha and we'll all be playing the beta on the same day. It'll be interesting to see what the answer to that question is in the coming days.

Good point!

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Monday, June 09, 2014, 19:07 (3620 days ago) @ Zero

- No text -

by petetheduck, Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 07:26 (3619 days ago) @ Zero

with the PSN ID before

Now, Bungie surprisingly makes no mention of Playstation getting early access to the Beta, just the 4 extra days in the Alpha. To Bungie, the 17th is the public beta, so that makes me wonder if the early access that was talked about (and leaked) was just for the Alpha and we'll all be playing the beta on the same day. It'll be interesting to see what the answer to that question is in the coming days.

I like this theory, but the end of the trailer has fine print:

"*Beta begins 07/17/14 on PS4 and PS3 system. Soon after on Xbox One and Xbox 360. Beta date subject to change."

Looks like there will be some kind of early access for the PS4--whether it's hours or days, we'll see.

Reading. Its FUN-damental!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 07:51 (3619 days ago) @ petetheduck

Be among the first to blaze a trail through the wild frontiers of Destiny. Pre-order and receive access to the upcoming beta. Beta begins on 07/17/14 on PS4™ system and PS3™ system. Soon after on Xbox One and Xbox 360 (Xbox Live Gold required). Beta date subject to change. Limited time only. While beta codes last. Internet connection required.

http://www.destinythegame.com/beta

ಠ_ಠ

Exclusive map/strike?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:47 (3620 days ago) @ Grizzlei

What the hell, Bunjy?!

Exclusive map/strike?

by thesirchelios ⌂ @, Sweden, Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:54 (3620 days ago) @ ZackDark

This is the kind of stuff people were worried about when they first announced PS exclusives. Most people were pretty confident that Bungie wouldn't do exclusive content and that it would only be cosmetic stuff.
I guess we were wrong :(

I'm going to be playing on the PS4 but I really don't like this!

Same

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:57 (3620 days ago) @ thesirchelios

- No text -

Exclusive map/strike?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, June 09, 2014, 19:04 (3620 days ago) @ thesirchelios

This is the kind of stuff people were worried about when they first announced PS exclusives. Most people were pretty confident that Bungie wouldn't do exclusive content and that it would only be cosmetic stuff.

The things that were shown before were timed exclusives; it's not a stretch to think these will be too. That said, I don't like it either.

Exclusive map/strike?

by thesirchelios ⌂ @, Sweden, Monday, June 09, 2014, 19:12 (3620 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I really hope so! The way the Sony guy announced it made it sound like that wasn't the case. They usually say "You'll get it first on Playstation" or something like that.
With this he said it was Playstation exclusive.
I'm pretty sure we will get the answer very soon when Bungie start doing interviews later this week

I look forward to Friday.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 09, 2014, 19:11 (3620 days ago) @ thesirchelios

This of course presumes Deej doesn't have his hands tied for the sake of Business.

Exclusive map/strike?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 09, 2014, 21:32 (3620 days ago) @ thesirchelios

Dude, they told you guys back in 2013 that the exclusive content was playable. It was as unambiguous as it gets.

Exclusive map/strike?

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Monday, June 09, 2014, 18:55 (3620 days ago) @ ZackDark

What the hell, Bunjy?!

Yeah, it's silly.

The mention of exclusive weapons winds me up a tad, too. That's changing the sandbox, right? I guess they'll be lower end guns, but still.

Exclusive map/strike?

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, June 09, 2014, 19:34 (3620 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yeah. This kinda stuff confuses me. Why would you want to alienate part (potentially 3/4) of your customer base? I get time exclusive content and I an live with it. But if I'm paying the same money as a PS4 user for a game why should I get less content?

Indeed.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, June 09, 2014, 19:41 (3620 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Exclusive map/strike?

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 02:02 (3619 days ago) @ breitzen

Yeah, exclusive content, for any game, is a bummer.
It just tends to work so well, that companies, MS (who really pushed it a lot last generation), Sony, are willing to pay a bunch of comarketing money to get it.
So as a publisher it makes sense.

As a dev.. getting your game so much press conference time and coverage, is really beneficial to making that thing you [and 500(!) other people] have slaved away on for years more successful.

What? Where?

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, June 09, 2014, 19:44 (3620 days ago) @ ZackDark

Maybe I'm dense, where did the information about the excelusive map/strike come from?

What? Where?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 09, 2014, 19:59 (3620 days ago) @ marmot 1333

It was in the middle of the Playstation press conference.

What? Where?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 09, 2014, 20:14 (3620 days ago) @ marmot 1333

It was in those 2 seconds the PS dude talked about Destiny smack-dab in the middle of the Games part of the conference.

Early astronauts needed guns (Sony E3)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, June 09, 2014, 19:30 (3620 days ago) @ Grizzlei

The trailer was interesting. The Ghost(s) running the show is interesting. The exclusives all over the place have me, one of the positive ones, fairly disappointed. :/

/me pages Cody Miller.

Why'd they cut out Mars?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 09, 2014, 20:05 (3620 days ago) @ Grizzlei

They cut out the astronauts part from the trailer they posted on Youtube, strange.

Why'd they cut out Mars?

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, June 09, 2014, 20:07 (3620 days ago) @ Xenos

They cut out the astronauts part from the trailer they posted on Youtube, strange.

[image]

Who are They?

Sony exclusivity? :p

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, June 09, 2014, 20:11 (3620 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Why'd they cut out Mars?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 09, 2014, 20:24 (3620 days ago) @ Xenos

Thanks!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 09, 2014, 21:21 (3620 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

PHENOMENAL TRAILER!!!

by GrimBrotherIII, Monday, June 09, 2014, 20:11 (3620 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Man that trailer was amazing! I'm so hyped!!! The more i see, the more i love... the game already feels so rich and vast and we still know so little! :)

As far as the PS exclusive stuff goes, i'm just as frustrated as everyone else here... Bungie REALLY needs to cease performing fellatio on Sony... it's getting old FAST.

Be that as it may, i am still so pumped!!!

- III

PHENOMENAL TRAILER!!!

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, June 09, 2014, 20:17 (3620 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

As far as the PS exclusive stuff goes, i'm just as frustrated as everyone else here... Bungie REALLY needs to cease performing fellatio on Sony... it's getting old FAST.

Try finding a publisher willing to dump hundreds of millions of dollars into a project without cutting weird exclusivity deals with various parties.

Alternately, convince gamers at large to stop buying games with associated weird exclusivity deals.

Until then, Bungie is going to continue "performing fellatio" on whatever parties are willing to give Activision money. Yes, the world sucks.

PHENOMENAL TRAILER!!!

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, June 09, 2014, 20:42 (3620 days ago) @ uberfoop

Try finding a publisher willing to dump hundreds of millions of dollars into a project without cutting weird exclusivity deals with various parties.

Alternately, convince gamers at large to stop buying games with associated weird exclusivity deals.

Until then, Bungie is going to continue "performing fellatio" on whatever parties are willing to give Activision money. Yes, the world sucks.

I think this is more that Activision is just trying to milk whatever platform partner it can get. The silence from the MS camp about Destiny is deafening. Find an MS exec who's willing to say they'd be promoting Destiny if only they got a chance... because I haven't seen or heard that, and I don't believe it.

As a crossplatform title in the scifi FPS space, I doubt MS perceives Destiny as being anything other than a threat to Halo, from which they assuredly make more money per unit sold than they would on a nonexclusive, third party title.

Now, if Destiny starts outselling Halo by a handy margin over the next decade, we'll see whether the issue now is that Bungie is giving Sony fellatio, or if MS is giving Bungie the cold shoulder, because I'm betting it's not purely one or the other.

PHENOMENAL TRAILER!!!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, June 09, 2014, 20:18 (3620 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Man that trailer was amazing! I'm so hyped!!! The more i see, the more i love... the game already feels so rich and vast and we still know so little! :)

Totally. My attention has been waning the past few months and this set off my excitement meter again. Probably because of the cinematic teases and all the new backstory they hinted towards. Can't help but gawk at the graphic design at the beginning. This supplementary art style is absolutely stellar.

Yup.

This is news. :P

*cracks knuckles*

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, June 09, 2014, 20:19 (3620 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Time for some thrilling heroics.

Thank you, DBO!

by Oholiab @, Monday, June 09, 2014, 21:24 (3620 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Agreed. Thank you, admins, for putting all the news on the front page, including the link to the trailer. It's nice to have a one-stop shop for the news and info coming out of E3. Looking forward to more throughout the week!

Here is why PlayStation is getting so much love.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 11, 2014, 11:24 (3618 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

- III

Did some digging into the net. Found this.

[image]

I guess taking over the world isn't as clean as we hoped it would be. This of course might not be the only reason, but I would be willing to consider this a very large cause.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 11, 2014, 11:34 (3618 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

They announced as much on stage at E3 last year didn't they? That strange announcement that seemed ominous that and that nobody would even comment on...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 11, 2014, 11:50 (3618 days ago) @ Ragashingo

They announced as much on stage at E3 last year didn't they? That strange announcement that seemed ominous that and that nobody would even comment on...

If they did then I don't recall it. Even so - this is a good reminder of the why.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, June 11, 2014, 20:04 (3618 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- III

Did some digging into the net. Found this.

[image]

I guess taking over the world isn't as clean as we hoped it would be. This of course might not be the only reason, but I would be willing to consider this a very large cause.

PlayStation growing with Destiny, not the other way around. I thought it was all stuff (read: money) on Sony's part with Bungie responding and reciprocating, but this admittedly small statement indicates Bungie is calling a lot of these shots (in fact, it implies they're calling all the shots, but frankly that would be ridiculous, so I'll take it as meaning this is a two-way street). Of course, maybe whoever wrote that meant to put it the other way around, Destiny growing with PlayStation. Even so, this is quite the relationship they've cultivated, and I can only assume a lot of money (and other stuff) hangs in the balance. So that's Bungie, Activision, SCEA, and a bunch of fans, now, who have hitched their wagons to Destiny's star. I really hope for all our sakes it delivers.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 06:04 (3619 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Yeah, I'm wondering if there is some reason for arming present day astronauts that we'll find out or if that is some weird bleeding of "yeah we make great shooters" into the backstory.

Anyways, seeing astronauts with guns bums me out.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 07:17 (3619 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yeah, I'm wondering if there is some reason for arming present day astronauts that we'll find out or if that is some weird bleeding of "yeah we make great shooters" into the backstory.

Hey, if those moon rovers in Armageddon hadn't had miniguns then Ben Affleck would still be stuck on that asteroid.

by GrimBrotherIII, Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 08:36 (3619 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Why exactly does Astronauts having guns bother people??? You better believe if i was an astronaut sent on a mission to mars to find out what that Giant White Ball was doing there i would be bringing an M16.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 09:45 (3619 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

It's right now an awesomely purely scientific type of hero to point at and tell kids, if you're smart enough and reach for the stars you can become one of these people. Annnnd have Distant and near visual acuity: Must be correctable to 20/20, each eye
The refractive surgical procedures of the eye, PRK and LASIK, are allowed, providing at least 1 year has passed since the date of the procedure with no permanent adverse after effects.
Blood pressure not to exceed 140/90 measured in a sitting position
Standing height between 62 and 75 inches

It just doesn't sit right to tack on "and receive some firearm training 'cause you may just have to kill things".

It's also weirdly dissonant as they look like they're wearing regular astronaut outfits rather than armored militarized ones. It's like running around naked with a gun... in space!

Why do you need a gun in space?

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 07:23 (3619 days ago) @ Grizzlei

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread