Microhard to Sonyboy?

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 19:44 (4090 days ago)

Who else is seriously considering converting to Sony's team after tonight's display of awesome sauce?

I'd switch

by mikefishr, Bloomington, IN, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 19:46 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

Sony seems to have everything going right for them, and unless Microsoft can one-up their feature set (and drop paid Live access), Sony's got my dollar.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by Hedge ⌂, Australia, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 19:47 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

I have a PS3 and 360. I show no allegiance to any system, only the games I want to play. I'll be buying the PS4. I'll buy a 720 too.

Nothing has changed for me.

-Hedge.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by Beckx, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 19:57 (4090 days ago) @ Hedge

What I'm worried about is if Cave stays MS exclusive again, because then I'll need a JP Durango...but I wonder if that's even something you can do next gen, or if they will block registration of out of region consoles with new tech. That would be a nightmare scenario: Cave only on MS, region locked, and no way to get a JP machine. Hopefully that doesn't happy. Cave going multiplat (given that should be way easier this gen) would solve most of my problems.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:18 (4090 days ago) @ Beckx

What I'm worried about is if Cave stays MS exclusive again, because then I'll need a JP Durango...but I wonder if that's even something you can do next gen, or if they will block registration of out of region consoles with new tech. That would be a nightmare scenario: Cave only on MS, region locked, and no way to get a JP machine. Hopefully that doesn't happy. Cave going multiplat (given that should be way easier this gen) would solve most of my problems.

A lot (most?) of Cave games are not actually region locked, even though they say they are for sale in Japan only. You can get them from Play Asia or a local import store, and they work on a US Xbox.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by Beckx, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 06:24 (4090 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah, I recommend Futari to anyone willing to try. But for me I needed access to the whole library. Got a JP console and love it to death. SaiDaiJoJou this summer will be a great send off to this gen.

I'll likely keep my JP console in active use for a long time.

Neither, yet

by ExigentContact, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 19:54 (4090 days ago) @ Mix
edited by ExigentContact, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 20:20

I'm taking a wait and see approach. The only two gaming devices I really want right now are a new PC and a Wii U. The PlayStation 4 reveal, while decent, left a lot of questions lingering about. We know nothing solid of the next Xbox/Xbox 8/Infinity/720. Certainly Sony has the upper hand at the moment, but only due to the fact that they've taken the first shot. We could find out some really terrible things about the PS4 (the PlayStation 3 had some pretty fetid secrets and changes before its eventual release), the next Xbox could be amazing, or it could be horrible. The few things we do know paint a complex picture for the next Xbox. The current specs floating around for the next Xbox have some serious weaknesses in comparison to the PS4's known specs. Namely the fact that Sony upgraded their RAM from a projected 4 gigs of GDDR5 to 8 gigs of GDDR5. Next Xbox is pegged at about 8GB of GDDR3, which is a slower bit of RAM. Aside from that, however, the specs are roughly comparable, which would put Microsoft's machine in a position to basically be like the PS3 of the next generation in terms of performance where the games are comparable, but the other system has the edge due to better RAM.

Skyrim on the Xbox versus Skyrim on the PS3 highlights the most severe example of this issue. But who knows. Until Microsoft spills the beans on their system, we might as well be comparing the PS4 to a unicorn.

Neither, yet

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 07:41 (4090 days ago) @ ExigentContact

Until Microsoft spills the beans on their system, we might as well be comparing the PS4 to a unicorn.

Quote of the day, right here.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 20:13 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

It's a bit early to think like that. I'm sure neXtbox will have feature parity (capture, streaming, cloud) and the hardware will be pretty similar (according to rumors.) I'm sure Sony plan on introducing a paywall for those online features. Right now it comes down to content and where I can play with my friends. If most of the people I play with go with system X I'll go with system X.

That being said, PS4 looks nice.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 20:17 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

Not me. I haven't seen anything that truly impressed me outside of Bungie's Destiny footage, and I'll get that regardless of where I go.

That and I have very little love for anything Sony to begin with.

Why though?

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 20:57 (4090 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

What is the point of brand hatred?

Why though?

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:30 (4090 days ago) @ bryan newman

What is the point of brand hatred?

I don't hate them, I just see a company that seems perpetually arrogant, and it comes across in everything from presentations to ads for their products. Add into that the fact that every time I look at a Sony product, there's inevitably something better or more appealing sitting not but a few feet away, and I just don't care for their brand at all.

Maybe that'll change this generation. Maybe they'll do better. But like I said, I haven't read anything particularly exciting regarding the PS4. Not yet. Not for me. So no sale here.

You clearly haven't played Uncharted...

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:44 (4090 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Or Journey, or Heavy Rain, Killzone, Jak and Daxter, Infamous, Dust 514, God of War, Resistance, or seen the Last of Us demo...

It took a while for Sony to get their ducks in a row this gen but once they did they did so QUITE well.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:52 (4090 days ago) @ bryan newman

Indeed. I watched Sony's E3 presentation last year and I was fairly jealous. They seemed to have a bunch of exclusives that were taking STORY really seriously. Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls got me very interested.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:04 (4090 days ago) @ bryan newman

Or Journey, or Heavy Rain, Killzone, Jak and Daxter, Infamous, Dust 514, God of War, Resistance, or seen the Last of Us demo...

It took a while for Sony to get their ducks in a row this gen but once they did they did so QUITE well.

Obviously. Because I'd have to own a PS3 for that. Honestly, I've seen gameplay for most of those, and very few of them interest me. I won't argue there aren't titles there I'd love to play, Last of Us, MGS4, and practically anything Quantic Dreams does come to mind, but it's not enough to go drop several hundred dollars on a new system.

When I bought my Xbox in 2004, I was already heavily swayed by Halo after playing it on a friend's system, but I was determined to not let that be the ONLY reason I got the system. I spent a good deal of time looking at Sony and Nintendo's offerings, and when it came right down to it, Microsoft had more games I thought I'd like, had better hardware, and had the most comfortable controller. That's stayed true all through this last generation of consoles, even when just about everything has gone multiplatform. In fact, especially when just about everything has gone multiplatform. There's no reason for me to own a PlayStation outside of exclusives, and there aren't enough of those that interest me.

One day we will agree on something...

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:27 (4090 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Do you like pizza?

One day we will agree on something...

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 23:27 (4090 days ago) @ bryan newman

Do you like pizza?

Meatlovers. The more sausage and pepperoni, the better.

FINALLY!!!

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 00:02 (4090 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I want more meat on my pizza than a sausage party PS4 event.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 07:32 (4090 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Microsoft had more games I thought I'd like, had better hardware, and had the most comfortable controller.

I despise PS controllers. Like holding two plastic sausages.

Microhard to Sonyboy? (warning: bandwidth am cry)

by Beckx, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 05:42 (4090 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286
edited by Beckx, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 06:02

I haven't seen anything that truly impressed me outside of Bungie's Destiny footage, and I'll get that regardless of where I go.

Don't be that guy.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

(gifs from GAF gif thread)

Those are all very nice examples of PC gameplay :-)

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 07:20 (4090 days ago) @ Beckx

We haven't seen the PS4. There's no reason to believe that any of those games were running on PS4 hardware.

by Beckx, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 07:42 (4090 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Watch Dogs was PC, I've heard.

You'd have to be silly to think the first party devs are building on PC and porting to PS4. It's good to be suspicious of Guerilla after 2005, of course.

But then again, in my twitter feed last night, someone claimed they were playing games that looked like this on their 2 year old PC. My PC is a beast. I have no doubt it will be able to do this - but no current game has been developed to look like it, because everything has been developed to current gen standards. Some GAF guys have gotten jaw-dropping Crysis 3 screenshots out of their rigs and they freely admit it dropped their FPS to below 10 to get them.

I dunno. To me new console announcements separate people with a lifelong love of games from the cynics and brand loyalists. (I'm not calling you either, BTW, but my feed last night was full of them - and the less said of the "HA HA HA NICE ENGRISH" assholes, the better.)

It's a new hardware cycle. And the first introduction is remarkably gamer focused with a minimum of fuck-you requirements (no prohibition on used games, for example, confirmed this morning). Let's have fun with it, not sneer at each other.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 07:53 (4090 days ago) @ Beckx

Watch Dogs was PC, I've heard.

You'd have to be silly to think the first party devs are building on PC and porting to PS4. It's good to be suspicious of Guerilla after 2005, of course.

I'm not saying they are developing for PC then porting to PS4, but I mean that any demos or rendered videos were more than likely playing from a PC used to develop for PS4. The video output can be upscaled or rendered to a higher quality than playing from the actual system. You can overclock and beef-up the cooling capacity since it's not in a slim little sexy shell...

All I'm saying is that none of the games or footage shown can be guaranteed to have actually been running or rendered on the actual PS4. I think it's silly to presume otherwise since they obviously don't have it in a state that is ready to show off to the public. Anything at the presentation last night was development hardware at best, which is essentially a PC with very similar specs to the console in question.

But then again, in my twitter feed last night, someone claimed they were playing games that looked like this on their 2 year old PC. My PC is a beast. I have no doubt it will be able to do this - but no current game has been developed to look like it, because everything has been developed to current gen standards. Some GAF guys have gotten jaw-dropping Crysis 3 screenshots out of their rigs and they freely admit it dropped their FPS to below 10 to get them.

I dunno. To me new console announcements separate people with a lifelong love of games from the cynics and brand loyalists. (I'm not calling you either, BTW, but my feed last night was full of them - and the less said of the "HA HA HA NICE ENGRISH" assholes, the better.)

It's a new hardware cycle. And the first introduction is remarkably gamer focused with a minimum of fuck-you requirements (no prohibition on used games, for example, confirmed this morning). Let's have fun with it, not sneer at each other.

I'm very excited for PS4, and as long as it's not comparable in price to the PS3 when it launched, I'll gladly purchase it. That being said, I'm just wary of the presentation from last night, as for me it screams: "We're not really ready, but here's what we're aiming for."

by Beckx, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 08:02 (4090 days ago) @ JDQuackers

John Carmack seems happy with the engineering choices they made. :)

I just can't be a hipster about my hobby. I love this stuff. If it turns out later to be a ruse, the shame's the one pulling it.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 08:36 (4090 days ago) @ Beckx

I'm also very excited about their choice of moving to an x86 architecture, as well as using the 8GB GDDR5 memory. It's going to really make it that much easier to make multi-platform games that for both PC and PS4. If the rumors are true that the neXtbox uses the same or similar chipset, then we'll have an even easier time getting multi-platform titles.

Funny thing is that the analysts hate it

by Beckx, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 08:50 (4090 days ago) @ JDQuackers

They announced a gamer focused machine with beastly, insane 8GB GDDR5 ram. Analyst today releases note calling it a failure because it's too powerful, will be too pricey, and isn't following the casual, cheap wave started by the iPad and carried on by Ouya and Gamestick (yes, they name dropped Gamestick).

Blergh.

Funny thing is that the analysts hate it

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 09:26 (4089 days ago) @ Beckx

WUT?!

I don't think 8 GB of GDDR5 RAM will compare to bleeding-edge BluRay laser technology and a Cell Processor. Holy bajeebus, even at a loss, Sony simply gambled on technology that was entirely too expensive, and too unique to lower their console to a competitive price for a very long period.

Compared to GDDR5 memory, which is a current consumer-available technology, that comparison by these analysts is completely off-base. I would be surprised if the PS4 is launched at anything *over* $499 USD. Personally, I think Sony needs to put it out as a loss leader and price it competitively in the $299-399 range. I'm guessing they'll be banking on their digital content network to help rebound the lowered price of the console, and I am fully expecting them to start charging a subscription fee for standard PSN.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 09:47 (4089 days ago) @ Beckx

I haven't seen anything that truly impressed me outside of Bungie's Destiny footage, and I'll get that regardless of where I go.

Don't be that guy.

(gifs from GAF gif thread)

I won't lie, they all look jaw droppingly gorgeous, but again, it's a new console generation. Don't we expect everything to look jaw droppingly gorgeous? That isn't enough to automatically make me want their console. Destiny impresses me because I know who's behind it, and I know at least a fraction about it. I know I can expect something wonderful. I know very little about all those other games up there (outside of Watch Dogs) other than how pretty they are.

I'm not trying to be a downer or a killjoy. I'm simply attempting to be a realist.

by Beckx, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 10:06 (4089 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I totally see that perspective - that you're a bungie fan & mostly interested in Bungie games & will wait and see on the rest.

Even just on that note, though, this stuff is amazing. That I could be watching NsU play Destiny, pick up the controller and start playing FOR HIM* even though I haven't purchased the game, then choose to immediately buy the game & be able to start playing before it's done downloading, recording & streaming my gameplay? Then when my kids need the TV I can push it to my Vita and keep playing Destiny?

That's some impressive stuff if they deliver, and why I had a negative reaction to "nothing was impressive". :)

*Totally would happen.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 10:09 (4089 days ago) @ Beckx

If I excited about this for one reason, it's the fact that Microsoft is gonna have to bring the thunder to beat these kind of innovations.

Optimistic to see the competition flourish.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 10:31 (4089 days ago) @ Beckx

I totally see that perspective - that you're a bungie fan & mostly interested in Bungie games & will wait and see on the rest.

Even just on that note, though, this stuff is amazing. That I could be watching NsU play Destiny, pick up the controller and start playing FOR HIM* even though I haven't purchased the game, then choose to immediately buy the game & be able to start playing before it's done downloading, recording & streaming my gameplay? Then when my kids need the TV I can push it to my Vita and keep playing Destiny?

That's some impressive stuff if they deliver, and why I had a negative reaction to "nothing was impressive". :)

*Totally would happen.

And while I will not disagree, on any point, that sounds absolutely, mind blowingly awesome, I've taken all of it with a very large helping of salt. Just how much do we know about any of those features? Will we have to pay for them? Will it work for all games? Is it flawless? What about lag? Just how does playing before it's finished downloading work? Is it streaming while it's downloading? What happens if your connection isn't fast enough to support that? What happens if you're downloading, playing, and streaming both a download AND an upload for people to watch? That's a lot going on. Just what is the quality of the broadcast? Is it set in stone? Is it variable? Will it be as obnoxious as Silverlight on Waypoint? Or as good as Netflix? How many games will actually support being shunted to the Vita?

It's a very impressive feature set, with way, way too many unanswered questions. Unanswered questions that are, to me, extremely important in just how good or usable any of this actually is.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 12:00 (4089 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Will it be as obnoxious as Silverlight on Waypoint?

That is unpossible.

by Beckx, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 12:40 (4089 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

How many games will actually support being shunted to the Vita?

Yoshida: we have to have all games work on PS Vita, unless it’s like a camera-only game.

Crap...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 12:41 (4089 days ago) @ Beckx

Yoshida: we have to have all games work on PS Vita, unless it’s like a camera-only game.

If this is true I am probably going to buy it for 3 systems, 360 because I love Live and the controller, and Playstation 4/Vita because I can play on a mobile device

*watches his bank account cringe*

Crap...

by Beckx, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 12:55 (4089 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm one of the 5 or so people who actually bought one, so I'm happy. :)

(Dat OLED screen.)

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 12:59 (4089 days ago) @ Beckx

And just how does that work? The Vita doesn't have nearly the power the PS4 has, so I'm assuming it's going to act as both a controller and a receiving device, which implies streaming from the PS4 (I think they've been doing this with PSPs and PS3, right?). So again, how does that work outside of one's own home? How does lag factor into this equation? Wifi is pretty sketchy depending on where you go, and 3G cellular networks seem like they'd make your wallet cry in pain at the data costs, assuming it's fast enough.

No one said anything about out-of-home.

by Beckx, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 13:10 (4089 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

- No text -

Then why would I want it?

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 13:25 (4089 days ago) @ Beckx

Yeah, great if you're in a situation where someone else needs the only TV in the house or something, but outside of that, if I can't do it when I'm not at home, what's the point?

It's nice, but it doesn't come of as like, a major noteworthy feature. Again, I'm not trying to put anything down or be a killjoy.

Yeah service is not for you

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 14:15 (4089 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Yeah, great if you're in a situation where someone else needs the only TV in the house or something, but outside of that, if I can't do it when I'm not at home, what's the point?

It's nice, but it doesn't come of as like, a major noteworthy feature. Again, I'm not trying to put anything down or be a killjoy.

Yeah I totally understand your perspective, in my case it would come in handy a lot. In fact I even like being able to be somewhere strange in my house and having my friend text me and say "Come join us for x" and I can grab my Vita and join them without having to stop watching a movie or whatever,

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 13:48 (4089 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Just how does playing before it's finished downloading work?

That's probably not how it works, as that would indeed be really difficult to pull off. The sense I got from it was that they would try to predict what games you're likely to purchase and cache them locally, so that they're already on your system when you went to buy. Hence the whole "we're tracking your behaviour" stuff.

Of course, then you have the problem of cache misses; the fewer games are permitted to cache on your system, the more likely you are to try and purchase a game that's not already on your system. At which point you'd have to go ahead and wait for the download. But then, your whole idea of streaming while downloading could actually be applied there. That would be crazy interesting.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 14:13 (4089 days ago) @ uberfoop

That's probably not how it works, as that would indeed be really difficult to pull off. The sense I got from it was that they would try to predict what games you're likely to purchase and cache them locally, so that they're already on your system when you went to buy. Hence the whole "we're tracking your behaviour" stuff.

Of course, then you have the problem of cache misses; the fewer games are permitted to cache on your system, the more likely you are to try and purchase a game that's not already on your system. At which point you'd have to go ahead and wait for the download. But then, your whole idea of streaming while downloading could actually be applied there. That would be crazy interesting.

Actually from the service they bought to do this I am pretty sure it's not a cache but actually streaming the game from the Internet, kind of like OnLive.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 14:18 (4089 days ago) @ Xenos

Actually from the service they bought to do this I am pretty sure it's not a cache but actually streaming the game from the Internet, kind of like OnLive.

It'd have to be, if it wasn't, you're losing drive space to games you may, or may not, ever play or purchase, and that are probably entirely hidden from view. I can't see that going over well with anyone.

by SIX min WHISTLE @, Michigan, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 16:37 (4089 days ago) @ Beckx

I'll believe all the game streaming stuff when I see it in action. So far that technology has been complete balls, and I doubt the majority of people's internet connections are going to be able to deal with the speed it will need.

And beside the ability to upload game videos, the Ustream stuff, and the fighting-game-lobby-esque set up, I have no interest in "play my game for me" mode or the other social stuff they were pushing so hard for the first part of the show.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by serpx, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 20:34 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

I'm not buying either till half a year or a year after consoles launch. I do not want to waste my money from another red ring or anything related. Also prices may be lower. Also I have limited money so I'll probably be going Microsoft due to Halo. Which is sad cause Watch Dogs seems very fun right now.

Watchdogs is not Playstation exclusive...

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 20:58 (4090 days ago) @ serpx

It is a full multiplat title. They announced Wii U today as well. They will announce xbox when Microsoft announces the system.

Watchdogs is not Playstation exclusive...

by Avateur @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 11:16 (4087 days ago) @ bryan newman

Even the 360?

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 20:37 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

I will probably eventually buy the new Xbox due to console specific franchises that I enjoy. On the other hand, the PS4 sounds like a real beast, and I get the feeling that Sony is more focused on games that real gamers want to play.

I doubt I will buy either console on release day, unless they have a particularly awesome release title I want to play. So, whichever one I buy first really depends on which one has the first game I want to play.

Man, I love console wars, so exciting!

Right now, I'm still holding out for PC.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 20:48 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

- No text -

:(

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 07:58 (4090 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

Console wars are stupid.

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 20:55 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

I have all 3 current Gen systems (including Wii U)

Will own both next gen systems. Brand loyalty is stupid. Play what you like and enjoy it.

Console wars are stupid.

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 06:15 (4090 days ago) @ bryan newman

I have all 3 current Gen systems (including Wii U)

Will own both next gen systems. Brand loyalty is stupid. Play what you like and enjoy it.

This.

And honestly, it really is very early to "jump ship". Seems kind of dumb to ask "will you switch" when the competition hasn't even had a chance to "promo" itself.

If PS4 were released now, that would be different :P but right now it's all words and promises and sandboxed teases. Give it some time

Do uou really consider WiiU to be last gen?

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 10:59 (4089 days ago) @ bryan newman

- No text -

It's available to buy now, therefore it is current gen.

by kapowaz, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 11:09 (4089 days ago) @ Mix

- No text -

I like my Wii U... But it is no PS4.

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 13:16 (4089 days ago) @ Mix

- No text -

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 20:59 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

The main reason I'm not considering a PS4 is that I have nowhere to put one without getting rid of my Xbox, and I'd hate to give up that big a library of games.

-- Steve'll have a conundrum if the NextBox isn't back-compatible.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 02:19 (4090 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

The main reason I'm not considering a PS4 is that I have nowhere to put one without getting rid of my Xbox, and I'd hate to give up that big a library of games.

-- Steve'll have a conundrum if the NextBox isn't back-compatible.

The only rumors I've read is that neither next-gen console will be.

Sony eventually dropped the feature from the PS3, and I'm not sure if MS felt having that feature was worth what they spent on it. Certainly I do, as I don't have a working original Xbox anymore and there are a number of old titles I go back to on occasion.

Along with mods, this is another area where the PC platform has it over on consoles.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 06:18 (4090 days ago) @ narcogen

The only rumors I've read is that neither next-gen console will be.

Sony eventually dropped the feature from the PS3, and I'm not sure if MS felt having that feature was worth what they spent on it. Certainly I do, as I don't have a working original Xbox anymore and there are a number of old titles I go back to on occasion.

Along with mods, this is another area where the PC platform has it over on consoles.

Indeed, same. Actually I have one game I really wish was upconverted... I really enjoyed Enclave on the Xbox, and I feel like it was next on the list of conversions before they dropped the process... :( I still have my old games stacked up with the new ones, and if it's not compatible, it's just flipped down... waiting... hoping...
Though I still do have my transparent green xbox, it's a pain to set up and run and step back down to the old gen. *sigh*

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 07:48 (4090 days ago) @ thebruce

Though I still do have my transparent green xbox, it's a pain to set up and run and step back down to the old gen. *sigh*

Plus you're always worried the hard drive in it will die, and once it does you've pretty much had it unless you're a modder extraordinaire.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 07:48 (4090 days ago) @ narcogen

Uh, except for the couple-dozen PC games I can't play after upgrading to Win7...

-- Steve resorted to buying X-COM again on Steam as he just couldn't get DOSBox to play nice.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:23 (4089 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Uh, except for the couple-dozen PC games I can't play after upgrading to Win7...

-- Steve resorted to buying X-COM again on Steam as he just couldn't get DOSBox to play nice.

Weird. I don't use Windows at all anymore (never upgraded anything beyond XP) so I haven't experienced it, but I've read other people saying similar things.

Oddly enough, DosBox (Boxer) on OSX seems to have better luck running old DOS games than new versions of Windows.

Stay gold, Sonyboy

by HawaiianPig, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:07 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

- No text -

This didn't get the appreciation it deserved.

by Beckx, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 14:13 (4089 days ago) @ HawaiianPig

- No text -

I showed silent appreciation.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 15:05 (4089 days ago) @ Beckx

- No text -

me, too.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 17:14 (4089 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

- No text -

Not likely

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:13 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

I just can't afford to have two consoles. Both in terms of money AND time. I have plenty of other hobbies, I can't afford to invest in another console.

x86 the future?

by iZac, Shanghai, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 22:19 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

Who else is seriously considering converting to Sony's team after tonight's display of awesome sauce?

Extra content is great, but I think the knowledge alone that the PS4 is using an x86 based processor is going to be an incredible selling point for Sony's next baby. How many times have developers bitched and moaned about how hard the PS3 was to develop for compared to the 360 because of its too-audacious-for-its-own-good 8 core processor?

Previously devs insisted that the 360 shared more commonality to the PC (despite its PowerPC G5 origins) so it was easier to code for ... now the PS4 is basically a souped up desktop? How easy is that to re-code?!

Which leads nicely to the next question ... if the PS4 is x86 based ... what about a Windows / OSX version of Destiny?

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 02:11 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

A lot to get excited about, however it's still an awful lot of conjecture. I probably won't truly know until the systems are actually out and the games are actually released.

In a post Colonial Marines world I'm thinking much more critically of the "potential" of things and just get 'generally' excited about the next-generation.

I'm more pumped about Destiny regardless of platform because it's Bungie and the concept of a shared-world is something I've always wanted and am looking forward to.

In the end, the truly exciting thing is knowing the Bungie fan base is growing larger and larger by the moment. I'm looking forward to not standing on either side of a silly war and having a better gaming experience for it.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by UncookedMoa, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 04:24 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

Not yet, I haven't seen what Microsoft's Next Xbox has to offer.
Although I would consider, seeing as there's "exclusive content" for PlayStation. But what if there's also exclusive content for the Xbox? Just different exclusive content?

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 07:36 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

I think it's a little premature based on the information we have so far. Sony didn't actually show the new console, but I do like the ideas they put forward, and I do like Destiny.

But on the other hand we know nothing about the next XBox yet, and what features it might have. I'd say it's a good bet Destiny will be on that system as well, and all the friends I currently play with are on Live, so I don't think the fact that it's on PS4 changes anything for me.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 08:01 (4090 days ago) @ stabbim

Also, Sony left a bad taste in my mouth with the Linux-on-PS3 fiasco. I find it difficult to prefer them. I'm not boycotting the PS4, but I'll only have one if a platform-exclusive game that's EXTREMELY appealing to me comes along.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 08:04 (4090 days ago) @ Mix

Personally, it has been my experience that Bungie can make me happy buying the tech to most comfortably run their game. If this game comes out for PC, 360, PS4, etc. chances are I will be buying it more than once.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by Monochron, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 11:31 (4089 days ago) @ Mix

http://imgur.com/gallery/4H5GVTV
Too afraid of this to switch

ROFL

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 12:02 (4089 days ago) @ Monochron

- No text -

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 12:16 (4089 days ago) @ Monochron

Once upon a time, long, long ago, I worked the Gateway contract handling telephone orders for accessories. One of the big sellers was an early model webcam... that had a plastic shutter you could pull over the lens.

-- Steve always found that feature amusing.

PS: I wonder if there's a market for stitched-nylon Kinect "privacy cozies". Hmm...

That's how I got my Kinect...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 12:55 (4089 days ago) @ Monochron

My dad has a buddy who is a huge conspiracy nut. He lives in the back of a convenience store that he owns, and does everything he can to stay off the grid. He had bought a 360 and Kinect to play around with in the evenings. The first time he played Kinect Sports it took a picture of him in his underwear and it freaked him out. He realized that Microsoft and the government were going to watch him through the Kinect, and there were going to be naked pictures of him all over the internet. He immediately unplugged it and covered it up.

The next day my dad dropped by the store and his buddy told him I could have the kinect. He didn't want any cameras secretly watching him.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by SIX min WHISTLE @, Michigan, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 16:24 (4089 days ago) @ Mix

Not really because of what I saw, but if the new Xbox blows I'll go with the PS4.

Microsoft has really, REALLY dropped the ball as far as exclusives go the last few years. Halo is all the have that I really care about now. I like Gears and Twisted Pixel's XBLA games, but they aren't enough to keep me there. Rare is dead, Fable 3 blew and then went Kinect, and the other big exclusive games now are Forza and Kinect.

PSN being so janky this gen is one of the reasons I stuck with 360, even if it is free. They started out with no games, but seem to have gotten it together now. Plus, there are a lot of Japanese games that still stay PS exclusive.

Basically, I went 360 this gen because of Halo 3, and Mass Effect/Bioware being MS exclusive console-wise at the time. Bioware has lost all of my good will and excitement, and MS seems to have given up on making good games beyond Halo. Now, most of my favorite developers are multiplatform anyways. Bungie, Obsidian, Bethesda, Capcom (when they get their heads out of their asses), Platinum Games, Kojima Productions, and so on.

As is, Microsoft is going to really have to blow me away at E3 and the like with the new console AND new games, backwards compatibility with at least my digital games would be nice too. Otherwise I'm getting the Playstation first, especially if default PSN stays free.

Yawnsole Wers.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 17:03 (4089 days ago) @ Mix

I'm playing where the most friends are. If there's a way to play truly cross-platform, so much the better.

~M

Yawnsole Wers.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:24 (4089 days ago) @ Malagate

I'm playing where the most friends are. If there's a way to play truly cross-platform, so much the better.

~M

That would be better, but they've already ruled it out. I'm not even sure that it's technical; I seem to recall MS policies regarding use of XBL by developers prohibiting it, or prohibiting things that are essential to achieving it.

Yawnsole Wers.

by Flynn J Taggart, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 22:35 (4089 days ago) @ narcogen

If cross-platform play happens between PS3 and PS4 and it's just the 360 by itself, that might be another plus for the PSX versions. Of course, maybe it'll be PS3 and PS4 on their own network, 360 and the next Xbox on their own, and PC staring off into infinity.

Microhard to Sonyboy?

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 21:29 (4089 days ago) @ Mix

I'm liking what I've seen from Sony so far, but I have my reservations:

1. I don't like the Playstation controller
2. I'm extremely wary of Sony due to their past actions (installing rootkits on customer computers, removal of linux from the PS3, etc.)

On the plus side, the Playstation 1 and 2 were amazing, and Sony doesn't require paid subscription on their network.

Ultimately, if I can get Destiny on the PC - I'm happy.

VHS vs. BETA?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 06:34 (4088 days ago) @ Mix

This always reminds me too much of that.

I wish we could settle on one format, let everyone's games run on everything, and focus on the games.

Simplified, I know, but more or less the ideal.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread