Down with Dinklage (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 16, 2014, 15:46 (3594 days ago)

Some people don't like him in Destiny.

http://kotaku.com/peter-dinklage-s-destiny-performance-is-not-great-1591460157/+charliejane

I'm on the fence myself. I would probably have preferred someone less recognizable, but that could dissipate with time. Right now I'm transported to Baltimore every time I hear Lance Riddick.

I think he's great

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, June 16, 2014, 15:57 (3594 days ago) @ Kermit

http://kotaku.com/peter-dinklage-s-destiny-performance-is-not-great-1591460157/+charliejane
I'm on the fence myself. I would probably have preferred someone less recognizable, but that could dissipate with time. Right now I'm transported to Baltimore every time I hear Lance Riddick.

I think both Dinklage and the Crucible announcer are great; I don't know what people are griping about.

Agreed about Reddick; I just started watching The Wire.

Edit: Also, Kotaku, so pound of salt and all that. Both voices portray character and emotion in the appropriate levels, and I don't think the "acting quality" of the Ghost in the Alpha differs from what we heard at last year's E3. I definitely seem to be in the (vocal) minority, though.

I think he's great

by petetheduck, Monday, June 16, 2014, 16:16 (3594 days ago) @ Beorn

Are there audio options to turn off music?

I think he's great

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Monday, June 16, 2014, 16:57 (3594 days ago) @ petetheduck

Are there audio options to turn off music?

Really? I've been loving the dynamic music in Destiny.

I think he's great

by petetheduck, Monday, June 16, 2014, 17:26 (3594 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

Sometimes it enhances the mood but in most games it is annoying, distracts from important game sounds in combat, and breaks immersion by starting immediately with and ending immediately after enemies attacking.

I think he's great

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 16, 2014, 18:01 (3594 days ago) @ petetheduck

Sometimes it enhances the mood but in most games it is annoying, distracts from important game sounds in combat, and breaks immersion by starting immediately with and ending immediately after enemies attacking.

In the past I've completely trusted Marty & Jay's judgment, but one thing I'm worried about now: infinite loops. The one time I played the Strike on Legend we were struggling and the music started to get a little repetitive. I seem to recall Marty saying that the loops end in Halo after a time, and I can remember some extended battles fought with no music, like the big snow battle in Two Betrayals if you took long enough.

I think he's great

by Avateur @, Monday, June 16, 2014, 19:17 (3594 days ago) @ Kermit

In the past I've completely trusted Marty & Jay's judgment, but one thing I'm worried about now: infinite loops. The one time I played the Strike on Legend we were struggling and the music started to get a little repetitive. I seem to recall Marty saying that the loops end in Halo after a time, and I can remember some extended battles fought with no music, like the big snow battle in Two Betrayals if you took long enough.

Yes, this. And it was perfect. My favorite part of Two Betrayals is that battle, the music that's played during it, and the lack thereof as the battle continues. If you couldn't guess, Two Betrayals is by far my most favorite campaign mission in H1. I'd like to second a worry about infinite loops.

I think he's great

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 16, 2014, 16:22 (3594 days ago) @ Beorn

I think both Dinklage and the Crucible announcer are great; I don't know what people are griping about.

Edit: Also, Kotaku. So pound of salt and all that.

Dinklage might be perfect at the end of the day.

Games have personalities. A big part of the Halo's personality was shown by the in-combat grunt and NPC chatter, which was lively and often funny. As much as I like Reach, sometimes it was muted a bit too much (e.g. Ron Livingston's monotone "The Covenant are on Reach.") Destiny does have variety going for it. I got some hints of humor in the Tower. Dinklage showed humor in the last trailer ("No pressure"). I'm looking forward to the larger canvas.

I think he's great

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, June 16, 2014, 16:34 (3594 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm looking forward to the larger canvas.

Aren't we all? ;-)

I think he's great

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, June 16, 2014, 19:50 (3594 days ago) @ Beorn

Same here. I think part of it is that some people are expecting to hear that same voice playing a particular character and are then disappointed when that portrayal does not match what they expect. The very, very little we've seen so far in the trailers and Alpha gameplay simply doesn't give Dinklage the kind of opportunity for scenery-chewing that GoT has given him.

On the other hand are people who perhaps don't have those expectations, but believe that the actor was chosen based on the strength of that other role, and feel that this is unfair, or see it as an invasion of a property they link (Destiny) by one that is very popular, but that they don't (GoT).

Just a thought. Personally I think so far, so good. What I do wonder is how individual Ghosts are. Presumably all players have a Ghost voiced by Dinklage, but what about NPC guardians? Are they all just manifestations of a single personality? If so, is Ghost going to be a character as important to the plot as Guilty Spark or Cortana, or just a gameplay element?

I think he's great

by electricpirate @, Monday, June 16, 2014, 21:31 (3594 days ago) @ Beorn

Edit: Also, Kotaku, so pound of salt and all that. Both voices portray character and emotion in the appropriate levels, and I don't think the "acting quality" of the Ghost in the Alpha differs from what we heard at last year's E3. I definitely seem to be in the (vocal) minority, though.

Ohh man, the wire is great!

Dinklage just sounds so bored. And not like, detached and cold bored like Data. Just bored, like he wants to know why the hell his agent signed up him up for this and when can he just go home. I thought he was pretty bad in the E3 trailer also fwiw.

Crucible announcer seemed pretty good to me though!

New Natural Cave

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 16, 2014, 16:21 (3594 days ago) @ Kermit

"That wizard came from the moon" is the Destiny version of "This cave is not a natural formation."

New Natural Cave

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, June 16, 2014, 16:40 (3594 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"That wizard came from the moon" is the Destiny version of "This cave is not a natural formation."

I wouldn't say that. Context is everything, and given how we're just thrown into the fray mid-story, I think we're missing out on story regarding the Hive's relationship with the moon(remember that the moon trailer featured the Hive in a significant capacity).

We later see hive ships crashed here and there, which are more story elements that I'll get into in my writeup...

If anything, his beyond-lazy delivery of "It's the hive!" took me out of the whole experience...

New Natural Cave

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Monday, June 16, 2014, 17:13 (3594 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The story mission was the one place where I thought his performance was a little flat. I had to wonder if those lines got recorded either very early on (and so was still getting a feel for the role) or after a long day. Everywhere else I heard him, I thought his tone was perfect for whatever was going on at the time.

New Natural Cave

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, June 16, 2014, 19:53 (3594 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Nah. The cave line is what it is because the line itself is just dumb, especially given what the final level design looked like-- there was no way to confuse that structure with a natural cave. I don't think any line delivery could have escaped it.

The moon wizard line sounds odd because nobody expects to hear these words together, not because the thought behind it is stupid or wrong.

you're right, it's the delivery in this case

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 00:07 (3594 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

DBO: How's your Dinklage?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, June 16, 2014, 20:25 (3594 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Down with Dinklage

by Hedge ⌂, Australia, Monday, June 16, 2014, 23:48 (3594 days ago) @ Kermit

Dinklage is cool. I'm more in awe of Lance Reddick, Nathan Fillion and Gina Torres in the same room.

Down with Dinklage

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 05:11 (3593 days ago) @ Hedge

It's pretty awesome. I think Gina and I are going to be pretty close friends.

Down with Dinklage

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 07:21 (3593 days ago) @ Hedge

Dinklage is cool. I'm more in awe of Lance Reddick, Nathan Fillion and Gina Torres in the same room.

Wait what

Down with Dinklage

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 07:48 (3593 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Wait what

They're the Vanguard representatives for the different classes in the Citadel, I mean, the Tower.

Down with Dinklage

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 05:47 (3592 days ago) @ Kermit

Wait what

They're the Vanguard representatives for the different classes in the Citadel, I mean, the Tower.

WHAT CLASSES ARE THEY. THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Down with Dinklage

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 05:59 (3592 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Wait what

WHAT CLASSES ARE THEY. THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Lance Reddick is the Titan Vanguard.
Nathan Fillion is the Hunter Vanguard.
Gina Torres is the Warlock Vanguard.

Is that what you wanted?

I can't help thinking we're hunting for hidden iHops

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 00:08 (3594 days ago) @ Kermit

I loved MOST of his work

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 01:13 (3594 days ago) @ Kermit

The Moon line was delivered in a way that sounded like he was reading from a children's book.

I loved MOST of his work

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 08:56 (3593 days ago) @ kidtsunami

The Moon line was delivered in a way that sounded like he was reading from a children's book.

That's probably how it sounded to him.

Might be how the intelligence behind the Traveler thinks about humanity as well, I suppose.

good point

by Yapok @, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 10:59 (3593 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

Down with Dinklage

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 05:01 (3593 days ago) @ Kermit

I have to admit, I would prefer a few different voice options.

The weaponsmith

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 05:43 (3593 days ago) @ Kermit

Sounds like he is doing an impression of the Bastion narrator.

I feel like Bungie wants to stuff as much as what they love about Video Games in general into this game.

Down with Dinklage

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 10:07 (3593 days ago) @ Kermit

I have yet to get into GoT so the only thing I've seen Dinklage in at this point was "Knights of Badassdom" which is literally the worst thing I've ever seen, and I've been to /b. ANYTHING would seem good to me after that disaster.

For the record, I watched that movie because it was free on XBL on a weekend when I was very bored, and because the description made it sound like it was in the spirit of this masterpiece. It wasn't. I should have stopped after the first 20 minutes, but I kept thinking it must be about to get to the good part. It didn't.

Absolutely agree

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 10:34 (3593 days ago) @ Kermit

"Soulless"
"Phoned-in"
"Uninspired"
"Going through the motions"
"Acting while texting"

And other phrases I'd use to describe Dinklage's acting in Destiny. Compared to Cortana and 343GS he doesn't come close.

Bungie was either hoping for a stellar GoT-esque performance from him, a boost from his star power (like when everyone lost their shit over that actor in the Law of the Jungle commercial), or some combination. The more they were relying on the strength of his voice acting, the worse this (very large, presumably) investment seems.

Down with Dinklage. Let the TSD Thespian Troupe show you what real acting is

Absolutely agree

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 14:22 (3593 days ago) @ Schooly D

Down with Dinklage. Let the TSD Thespian Troupe show you what real acting is

He was ultimately told to deliver it that way. It had to have been what Bungie wanted, or else they would have given him new direction and done more takes. It's Bungie's fault, not his.

Absolutely agree

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 15:08 (3593 days ago) @ Cody Miller

He was ultimately told to deliver it that way. It had to have been what Bungie wanted, or else they would have given him new direction and done more takes. It's Bungie's fault, not his.

Well that's completely unacceptable. I hope somebody got fired.

Wait, nevermind.

I lol'd. Then cried a little

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 17:44 (3593 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Absolutely agree

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 23:26 (3593 days ago) @ bluerunner

[image]

Down with Dinklage

by Decom @, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 12:39 (3593 days ago) @ Kermit

Am I the only one here who thinks this is a result of poor directing (vs poor voice acting)? They either wanted him to sound like this or they gave him absolutely no context for the lines.

Somebody on NeoGAF also pointed out that they're probably going to "digitize" his voice, as heard in the E3 trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wih6D1hdh4#t=1m9s). It does sound somewhat better but no amount of digitization will fix the "it's the hive" line.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread