Destiny Alpha - Lots of Positive Feedback (Destiny)

by Hoovaloov, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 01:17 (3604 days ago)
edited by Hoovaloov, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 02:17

I've been browsing around other forums seeing what the overall impressions are of the Destiny Alpha (need my Destiny fix now that the Alpha is gone).

NeoGaf had a pretty interesting thread on their forums. They specifically asked people to post their "hype level" (0-10 scale) before and after playing the Alpha.

The original poster provided some stats, but I decided to collect and enter them all myself to get a better visual representation of the data.

At the time of my data collection, the thread had 760 posts. I only entered the data for posts where people provided numbers for both pre- and post-Alpha hype levels. If they only provided numbers for one or the other, they were not included. Hype levels above 10 or below 0 were entered as 10 and 0 respectively. All fractional scores were rounded.

Here are the basic stats similar to what the OP provided but updated with my data set from that thread:

Number of responses included in this survey: 533

Average interest level BEFORE alpha: 5.6 / 10

Average interest level AFTER alpha: 8.3 / 10

Percent of people whose interest in the game INCREASED: 81.2%

Percent of people whose interest in the game DECREASED: 12.8%

Percent of people whose interest in the game stayed the same: 6.0%

I wanted a better visual representation, so I made this chart:

[image]

Lastly, I examined the amount of people who completely changed their minds about Destiny. This means they had to jump 5 or more Hype Levels in either the positive or negative direction.

Number of people who became 5+ levels MORE hyped: 128

Number of people who became 5+ levels LESS hyped: 12

It's clear the Alpha made a very significant positive impact on people's perception of Destiny. Bungie should be proud of what they accomplished by releasing the Alpha out into the wild. It has definitely generated a lot of excitement in the gaming community.

Destiny Alpha - Demonstrates Bungie's High Standards

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 01:44 (3604 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

- No text -

Destiny Alpha - Lots of Positive Feedback

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 05:51 (3604 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

Yeah, I think the alpha has done more for the hype / qualitative opinion of the game that a lot of the marketing in the past year has [since last year's E3 reveal].

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 07:53 (3603 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

Yeah, I think the alpha has done more for the hype / qualitative opinion of the game that a lot of the marketing in the past year has [since last year's E3 reveal].

I'll agree with that. Seems like most of my non-B.Org friends pre-alpha were in the "meh, I don't really get it" camp regarding Destiny.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 07:11 (3603 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

My hype level has certain gone up, and I didn't even play the Alpha. Just seeing bits here and there, I kept thinking "wow this looks cool."

Same

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 07:44 (3603 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

All is going according to plan. Begin next phase.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 07:15 (3603 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

Number of people who became 5+ levels MORE hyped: 128

Number of people who became 5+ levels LESS hyped: 12

It's clear the Alpha made a very significant positive impact on people's perception of Destiny. Bungie should be proud of what they accomplished by releasing the Alpha out into the wild. It has definitely generated a lot of excitement in the gaming community.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 07:21 (3603 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

Awesome job on the graph. You better start building your data scraping tools for the beta, the hype will hit all time highs.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 08:41 (3603 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

I think that's because up to that point, Bungie had been communicating all the wrong things about the game.

The JJ Trailer

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 08:49 (3603 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Did a better job of explaining what Destiny "is" to those not paying attention than anything that Bungie had articulated up to that point. Then the alpha finished the fight.

So many lens flares

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 09:09 (3603 days ago) @ DaDerga

- No text -

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 10:53 (3603 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

I think initial impressions are generally more favorable than long-term ones, so I think it's perfectly natural for people to be hyped after playing the Alpha for 4 days. Combined with the fact that Bungie has been pretty silent, maybe just unclear, regarding the title as a whole, the Alpha has really grabbed people's attention.

I don't think initial impressions are worth much honestly.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread