Destiny will have a raid (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 21:03 (3608 days ago)

Wait what?

In the angry Joe interview, Deej says Destiny will have a raid.

Interesting. Only one.

Destiny will have a raid

by GrimBrotherIII, Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 21:09 (3608 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Don't read too much into it - every other time i've heard them talk about Raids they've been explained and referenced in a plural sense.

Destiny will have a raid

by BlackCoffee_AU, Thursday, June 19, 2014, 04:11 (3608 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Another bungie employee (the tall one) referred to it as "the raid" earlier this week on his twitter. :(

Destiny will have a raid

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, June 19, 2014, 08:43 (3608 days ago) @ BlackCoffee_AU

Another bungie employee (the tall one) referred to it as "the raid" earlier this week on his twitter. :(

Seen it referred to as "the raid" here by Dmiller as well.

Destiny will have a raid

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 21:09 (3608 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Angry Joe should have followed up with "will there be another raid?"

Destiny will have a raid

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, June 19, 2014, 08:34 (3608 days ago) @ uberfoop

Angry Joe should have followed up with "will there be another raid?"

He should also point the microphone at the guy who's talking at the moment, but you can't have everything.

Could be the Vault of Glass

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 21:20 (3608 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have heard the specific pronunciation of "a raid" before. Looks like only one for Destiny on release.

Could be the Vault of Glass

by BlackCoffee_AU, Friday, June 20, 2014, 03:10 (3607 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Anyone else hear the VoG announcement in the tower?

Something alone the lines of, "A reminder, the Vault of Glass is only for experienced Guardians".

It's possible more will be released later.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 21:48 (3608 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But I will not be surprised if there is only one. The way Jason Jones talks about it it sounds like it took them a lot of work.

Destiny will have a raid

by petetheduck, Thursday, June 19, 2014, 03:56 (3608 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Deej made it sound like he's specifically talking about the Vault of Glass. Raids weren't mentioned in the Jason Jones video, but the Vault of Glass was. Maybe there really is just that one, but I was never before given the impression there was just one raid. It could be he was specifically mentioning it as an example of what a clan could focus on and there are more raids in the game, but that's the big one.

Destiny will have a raid

by electricpirate @, Thursday, June 19, 2014, 04:37 (3608 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yup, Bungie's been using this language for about a month now.

I'm personally hoping that it plays like Watcher's keep, a massive dungeon in Baldur's Gate II. Each level took about an hour, and there were 8 levels, culminating in the hardest boss in the game. It was basically a mini RPG unto itself.

Destiny will have a raid

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, June 19, 2014, 08:33 (3608 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Wait what?

Interesting. Only one.

Pretty sure they're talking about the specific raid Jones talked about in the experience trailer-- the vault of glass (aka the jumping puzzle or Colony Ship For Sale, Cheap Part 2).

We know there are multiple Strikes and strikes are essentially raids. Perhaps there's only one special encounter Deej was referring to as "the raid" because it's special, like the one Jones mentioned.

Destiny will have a raid

by Veegie, Thursday, June 19, 2014, 09:36 (3608 days ago) @ narcogen

Strike != Raid

Destiny will have a raid

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Thursday, June 19, 2014, 13:39 (3608 days ago) @ Veegie

Strike != Raid

In MMO lingo I've always lumped any big instanced dungeon under the category of "raid" so this distinction between Strikes and Raids is a little unusual. I can see where the confusion lies. It would be strange for a game like WoW to have only one raid under the common definition.

Destiny will have a raid

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, June 20, 2014, 19:38 (3606 days ago) @ Veegie

Strike != Raid

Pretty sure it actually does. "Strike" is the term that Destiny actually uses, and "raid" is an interchangeable term others are using, and I think some Bungie personnel are just rolling with it.

Even if they were distinct, I'd guess that "strike" is an all-inclusive term to cover the activities that are not part of the campaign, are not just explore mode, and are not competitive multiplayer, whereas "raid" might be a subset of those activities with extra requirements-- like the 6 man minimum for the vault of glass, for instance.

None of which justifies the panty bunching over "destiny has only one of something omgwtfbbq"

Destiny will have a raid

by Veegie, Friday, June 20, 2014, 19:51 (3606 days ago) @ narcogen

Hey Narcogen,

A Strike and a Raid are mutually exclusive game modes in our game, because they each offer very distinct player experiences(and rewards). I could see where some of the confusion may be coming from though.
Hope that clears it up!

Destiny will have a raid

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, June 23, 2014, 02:11 (3604 days ago) @ Veegie

Hey Narcogen,

A Strike and a Raid are mutually exclusive game modes in our game, because they each offer very distinct player experiences(and rewards). I could see where some of the confusion may be coming from though.
Hope that clears it up!

Since there's no indication of what those distinctions are, and the words are elsewhere used pretty interchangeably... no?

What are the distinctions?

Is Strike 3-player and Raid 6-player?

Destiny will have a raid

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, June 23, 2014, 15:19 (3604 days ago) @ narcogen

Yes.

Destiny will have a raid

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, June 23, 2014, 18:39 (3603 days ago) @ stabbim

Yes.

Is there a source for that, or do you work at Bungie, too?

;-)

Destiny will have a raid

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 23, 2014, 19:03 (3603 days ago) @ narcogen

Destiny will have a raid

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, June 23, 2014, 19:15 (3603 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm extremely excited for 6 player coop. Especially if it's as challenging as they're making it out to be. Hopefully this means large scale encounters that dwarf the large Halo battles.

Destiny will have a raid

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, June 23, 2014, 20:50 (3603 days ago) @ bluerunner

I'm extremely excited for 6 player coop. Especially if it's as challenging as they're making it out to be. Hopefully this means large scale encounters that dwarf the large Halo battles.

Eh, sort of maybe. The stuff they've said about their networking...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/12/06/the-matchmaking-technology-of-destiny.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

...makes it sound like the individual instances are still peer-to-peer. The alpha had some "large battles" in the sense of overall handling a large number of enemies over the course of an encounter, but it seemed like they only managed it via very firefighty design, starting with small groups and continually streaming in more small groups. I never had anything resembling that Halo feel of exploring how to pick away at a huge entity.

We might see battles where you kill hundreds of enemies over the run of the fight, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we see a simultaneous equivalent to the Two Betrayals end battle, or the LZ on The Ark, or the Two Scarabs, or what have you.

It would certainly be nice, perhaps the biggest issue I had with the Destiny alpha was the lack of combat cycle.

Destiny will have a raid

by Claude Errera @, Friday, June 20, 2014, 20:31 (3606 days ago) @ narcogen

Strike != Raid

Pretty sure it actually does. "Strike" is the term that Destiny actually uses, and "raid" is an interchangeable term others are using, and I think some Bungie personnel are just rolling with it.

Even if they were distinct, I'd guess that "strike" is an all-inclusive term to cover the activities that are not part of the campaign, are not just explore mode, and are not competitive multiplayer, whereas "raid" might be a subset of those activities with extra requirements-- like the 6 man minimum for the vault of glass, for instance.

None of which justifies the panty bunching over "destiny has only one of something omgwtfbbq"

Probably clear after his own followup, but Veegie works on Destiny. If he says they're different... they're different. :)

Destiny will have a raid

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 20, 2014, 20:47 (3606 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Probably clear after his own followup, but Veegie works on Destiny. If he says they're different... they're different. :)

Well, Frankie worked on Halo 2 and he said collecting all the skulls did something.

:-p

(Almost 10 years ago. I feel old)

Destiny will have a raid

by Claude Errera @, Friday, June 20, 2014, 21:14 (3606 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well, Frankie worked on Halo 2 and he said collecting all the skulls did something.

:-p

(Almost 10 years ago. I feel old)

I bet something did.

Destiny will have a raid

by Avateur @, Friday, June 20, 2014, 21:47 (3606 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Avateur, Friday, June 20, 2014, 21:57

I thought it caused a change in dialogue with NPCs throughout the game.

Edit: Or maybe that was just IWHBYD in H2? I can't remember if they were connected or not.

Destiny will have a raid

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, June 19, 2014, 13:31 (3608 days ago) @ narcogen

Pretty sure they're talking about the specific raid Jones talked about in the experience trailer-- the vault of glass (aka the jumping puzzle or Colony Ship For Sale, Cheap Part 2).

We know there are multiple Strikes and strikes are essentially raids. Perhaps there's only one special encounter Deej was referring to as "the raid" because it's special, like the one Jones mentioned.

I'd say a strike has things in common with what MMO players would traditionally think of as a raid (albeit probably a short one), but it's been established at this point that in Destiny terminology "Strike" and "Raid" are two distinct gameplay modes.

Of course, none of that negates the possibility that there are multiple raids, and the Bungie folks who've been observed recently referring to "the raid" are referring to the same one Jason talked about.

If that's the case, why is everyone from Bungie talking about only that one raid lately, as if it's the only one there is? Is it because, as Cody believes, it is in fact the only raid? Is it possible that's true for now, and others will be added later? Or, perhaps there is a raid in the Beta and Bungie has been working on that so much lately that they've started referring to that particular raid as "the raid" without even realizing they're doing it? I have no idea, but I will say this: I doubt Bungie is foolish enough to give one raid event the distinction of being its own gameplay mode, UNLESS that event is much more substantial than we're envisioning at the moment.

Destiny will have a raid

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, June 19, 2014, 08:45 (3608 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Wait what?

Interesting. Only one.

I'm guessing its going to be something highly repeatable, multiple bosses perhaps. Or maybe strikes are going to be the primary endgame content and "the raid" is going to be like the final boss so to speak.

My take

by GrimBrother IV, Thursday, June 19, 2014, 14:52 (3608 days ago) @ Cody Miller

From what I have seen and heard this far my assumption is that as we all previously thought there were intended to be multiple raids (6man, suicide-inducing mini campaigns, as opposed to the 3man SpOps type strikes) but I have a feeling they may have been forced to cut production down to 1 for release or perhaps thought it better to hold back to stretch game time investment. It seems like they are trying to soften that news by gently revealing it's solitude. I would be VERY surprised, however to find out that they don't fully intend to release more in good time.

-IV

Destiny will have a raid

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, June 20, 2014, 22:42 (3606 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In the "Out Here In The Wild" ViDoc Lars Bakken says: "You walk into these areas where you got these campaign missions, you've got strikes, you've got raids..."

Take that as you will. :)

Destiny will have a raid

by Dmiller, Sunday, June 22, 2014, 19:00 (3604 days ago) @ Cody Miller

After working on the Vault of Glass, I'm confident that you will know the difference between a Raid and a Strike after you play them. One is a delicious snack shared with a friend, the other is a full feast for you and your whole family with weeks of leftovers.

awesome!

by Yapok @, Sunday, June 22, 2014, 19:06 (3604 days ago) @ Dmiller

- No text -

The Catch?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 22, 2014, 19:21 (3604 days ago) @ Dmiller

After working on the Vault of Glass, I'm confident that you will know the difference between a Raid and a Strike after you play them. One is a delicious snack shared with a friend, the other is a full feast for you and your whole family with weeks of leftovers.

There is glass in the leftovers. D:

Destiny will have a raid

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 23, 2014, 10:15 (3604 days ago) @ Dmiller

Hmm. Snacks are something that you get out quickly and start eating, with no prep and not much fuss. A feast you have to prep for, sometimes days in advance.

Is it safe to say Raids will require time wasted with the investment system in order to be ready for them?

In other words, once I know the game inside and out, can I walk into the vault of glass and get by purely on me and my team's skills and knowledge?

Destiny will have a raid

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, July 02, 2014, 16:36 (3595 days ago) @ Cody Miller

so uh, I'm grateful for the clarification of "a Strike" and "a Raid", but I notice even with all this attention and participation there's no denial and little counter-evidence to the claim that there's only one "Raid" in the game, which, without further information, is worrying, to me

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread